Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Should Puntland declare independance if the Kenya talks fail?

I don't think puntlanders will ever declare independent from Somalia, but they will strive to unite the whole somalis.

-------------------------

Seban tegay mid weli soo socdiyo saaka waxa jooga

Seddexdaa waqtaa xaal adduun lagu sifeeyaaye

Soo-noqodna maleh wixii saadufee tagaye

Berri iyo saa-danbena waa sed kaa maqane

Waxay taladu kuu suuban tahay subaxaad joogtaaye

NinBrown   

Puntland state of somalia, is part of Somalia and is always gonna be part of Somalia. In a fedral system which is currently beibg talked about in Kenya gives puntland the freedom of a state with in a country. so if u go and visit any city or villege in putnald the Somali national flag is flying high, na d it should stay high in the near future.

As those who arguining about borders and Sool & Sanaag...let teh decide without coercion and force. They will wanna remain part of fedral somalia and not a seperate country..like in Somaliland.

Haneefah   

Originally posted by OGUN:

WHO HAS BEEN CONOLIZING PUNTLAND FOR IT TO DECLARE "INDEPENDENCE"?

:confused:

IF ANYTHING WE ALL HAVE TO DECLARE "INDEPENDENCE " FROM THE THINKING AND THOSE THAT WISH TO DIVIDE SOMALIA INTO TINPOT AND BANANA REPUBLICS

well put!

guraad   

LOL @ Hassan.

Word to Dantay1 well said bro , i am from Sool and what you said is true.somali flag is flying over all puntland (including sool,sanaag & hawd).

So called somaliland(one tribeland) have no power what ever in sool . puntland out smarted somaliland , puntland attracted and won` hearts of sool people with their pro-greater somalia . while somaliland lost hearts of sool,snaag & hawd people with their tribal based ideas and thier aim to creat one tribe ruled country called somaliland.

somaliland= one tribeland(you all know which tribe i am talking about).

king_450   

i think b/w the Bro nomads , we can settle the land disupute b/e Puntland and Somaliland peacefully but we will go the original map and if we go the original map then Nomad Lander will loose, so let's sort that problme later, and support the peacefull transition of the two somalis. And i may add i like this kind of lay back attitude discussion, it is a healthy situation.

Dantay1   

The argument is moving, now that we have clarified that Puntland is not breaking away from Somalia, if there is a problem can be solved by running away from Somalia.

Its all Somalias fault we are told….You can imagine the following scenarios

“ My clan got killed, lets break from Somalia” or “ the harvest was bad this year, lets break from Somalia se that’s the problem” imagine a nation of failures. Somaliland is a beautiful idea but tell that to Abdirahman Tuur and Siilanyo.

The secessionist haven’t delivered anything to Somalialnd, fact on the ground Somaliland is not richer or more organised than Puntland. But of course this is relative to who you ask. In my opinion Puntland is more successful than Somaliland because Puntand recognises the truth that Somali’s woes are not sown to the dream of a greater Somalia and that the Somali’s all but political differences should be united.

Also to my Somaliland brethren we do not and will never recognise the old British map for it is like giving the rapist a right over the raped. We Somali’s have always been proud people who do not believe that their history started with the colonials. We are all for the recognition of a viable Somaliland state living side by side with the federal republic but we need a clear road map with new and clear boundaries and borders and then we will be the first to recognise those populations who want to celebrate the 18 of May.

Nicely put Dantay1 - “it is like giving the rapist a right over the raped”, but the question is does the raped realise that an act of rape has been committed? I do not think people of developing countries including Somalis, [and not Somalians], began to dissect so as to absorb the gravity of colonial dis-membranes, exploitation of resources, and manipulation of political orientation, and abuse of authority that rests solely with big wigs over their respective territories. What is ever worse is how oblivious present leaders of the target countries seem dedicated in not only pursuing the colonial legacy, but also implementing it feverishly to the letter as though abiding by the writings of the Holly Book, preaching the words of the Great One. So adamant at times that by questioning such legacies is considered treason in some corners.

Tragedy in many folds I reckon lies with the young, supposedly acquainted with the culture of their respective host nations, educated in Western Europe and in North America whom one would have expected to have seen the light in the perfidious, double-crossing, treacherous nature of the colonial legacy. All one has to do is to observe the lifestyle of the African Americans and the Native Americans in the US, the Aborigines in Australia, the Gypsies in mainland Europe, and the West Indies in the UK.

As for the issue concerning Puntland’s distant desire to break away from the rest of Somalia, one has to read State constitution so as to comprehend the political and strategic orientation of the leading elites and political heavy-weights of State: No desire of tucking tail when things get murkier than ever anticipated. Again one has to be privy to the history of the State, how it came about and whom its leaders are.

Dare I continue - But I shall leave it there for the day.

So long!

Haashim   

Whatever attrocities happened during the civil war and b4, SOMALI UNITY is Holy and an undisputeable matter.

Baashi   

NO.

Puntland should not declare, will not declare independence from Somalia under any circumstances. It does not make any sense. If anarchy continues, they still have the regional autonomy to function as a 'autonomous' state with little constraint. No matter who leads this regions, the constitution they had agreed dictates that the 'territorial integrity' of Somalia is not negotiable.

The 'building block' approach is concieved in a way that lets the peaceful and stable regions to move on without seceding. Puntland is one block of Somalia waiting other Somalis so they can form a just, inclusive, united Somalia.

Rokko   

I have a feeling Puntland might be gone from Somalia soon.

Don't ask me, but that is the talk in town lately. lol

Coloow   

Ok let us suppose that Puntland declares independent. Excuse me for my ignorance but could it survive?

My little knowledge of somalia tells me that the somali breadbasket is the area to the south of Galgaduud to kismayo.

Dantay1   

Mobb deep,

Brother Puntland is staying, you are right people are frustrated with the rest of the south for taking forever to get its act together. However the peace process in Kenya is showing signs that the south is coming into the Puntland thinking, they have agreed to for federal sates and Puntland leaders will play a prominant role in the new Somali government. This is very positive as Arta failed because it did not take into account the power of Puntland and the southern groupings like the RRA, SSNM.

Now the show in town is no longer XAMAR, and this was the problem from 1991.

XIIS, brother what was? SOMALILAND needs to direct its energy less on rhetoric and more on action, we as Puntlanders will never give an INCH of our land. No compromise with it, so keep the status quo because no one is spared from death. Somaliland needs to concentrate on itself rather than chasing shadows, fact 12 years no recognition, its not our fault boys!

Entrepreneur AND “My little knowledge of somalia tells me that the somali breadbasket is the area to the south of Galgaduud to kismayo” .

LOL bro how does Puntland survive now? How many are starving in bossaso and Galkacyu? The answer to that you know Puntland has energy and drive and survived centuries before there was a SOMALI breadbasket.

Brother preneur you also need to stop the stomach churning talk about “war-lords” cause Mogadishu has the most warlords who need to be curtailed. Brother you are in need of a new argument.

Conclusion: Puntland is not going anywhere and nor should it, its like saying XAMAR should declare independence. Somalia does not mean Mogadishu and its local areas. We wait and hope for a new republic in which there is less talk and more action. Were we reward creativity and not ignorance.