Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Should Puntland declare independance if the Kenya talks fail?

Rokko   

map008.gif

Name: Puntland State of Somalia

Area: about 180,000 km²

Population: 2.5 million (1995 estimation)

Capital: Garowe (pop. 165,000)

States: 6 (Mudug, Sanaag, Nugaal, Sool, Bari, Hawd)

Location: north-eastern Somalia, at the Horn of Africa, East Africa

Landscape: plateaus and hills

Climate: principally desert; December to February monsoon

Neighbors: Ethiopia in the south-west, Somaliland (broken away from Somalia) in the west, rest of Somalia in the south, Golf of Aden in the north, Indian Ocean in the east

Time Zone: CET+2 = GMT+3 = ET+8 = PT+11

Ethnic Groups: almost exclusively Somalis

Language: Somali

Political status: self-proclaimed state of Somalia with "temporary independence"

Head of State: Abdullahi Yussuf Ahmed

Opposition Candidate: GBP headed by Jama Ali Jama

Economy: livestock, small manufacturing

Currency: Somali Shilling

Gross Domestic Product: about $4.3 billion, per capita $600 (values for Somalia as a whole)

Liqaye   

WHO HAS BEEN CONOLIZING PUNTLAND FOR IT TO DECLARE "INDEPENDENCE"?

:confused: IF ON THE OTHER HAND U ARE TALKIN ABOUT SUCESSION THEN WHAT IS ITS CASUSS BELII TO DO SO?

WHERE DO ITS BORDES BEGIN OR END, AND TO WHICH ADMINISTRATION SHALL POWER BE SUCEDED?

BROTHER DEEP SOMALIS HAVE A WAY OF CREATING BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN THERE ARE ALREADY, AS WHAT CAN BE TERMED A PUNTLANDER I SEE IT AS NOTHIN BUT A GLORIFIED FIEFDOM THAT IS FACED WITH THE SAME HYENAS THAT WOULD LOVE TO EXTINGUISH THE PPL LIVING THERE.

IF ANYTHING WE ALL HAVE TO DECLARE "INDEPENDENCE " FROM THE THINKING AND THOSE THAT WISH TO DIVIDE SOMALIA INTO TINPOT AND BANANA REPUBLICS

Mob_Deep...I could live with Somaliland leaving the union, but Puntland stays with Somali proper at any cost.We have to take stand at somewhere. The south is the most diverse and most populated Somali territory. Any partition in the south will surely make the Somali nation a useless bunch with no real influence in the horn.

king_450   

well you don't have to be colonized to declare independence, one must strive for success and peace, so yes i think puntland should and must declare its own state hood which i support 100%,no longer will we be the same as one somali nation in a homogenous society, untill we punish those who commit the horrible crimes, like raping innocent 8yr old babies , those who killed innocent civilains , old and young , i do not agree somali to be united at all, we have to brougth justice to those ppl first before we even think about uniting, so if we can't solve the core issue of our problem, and every one looking the other way, there will not be a great somali, yes i am for uniting the entire somali, but tell that those that has been raped and humiliated and killed their loved ones, infront of them, we must take care first those *******s who assasinated, and then talk reuniting, untill that happens, everyone must declare independence to their own ppl, and let;s see where chips may fall. So puntland go to strive and u are a nation of prosperity, i gave u my vote of confidence.

Oblivion   

Should Puntland declare independence if the Kenya talks fail? -- A very FOOLHARDY question indeed.

What is INDEPENDENCE?!?! to begin with.

Oblivion   

i do not agree somali to be united at all

Boqor 450 miyaad waalatay, mise waad soo wadataa? Af-soomali ku jawaab hadaad somali tahay? Hadii kale, meesha iskaga tag waxba kuma yaalane.

BN   

The people in Puntland believe in ONE Somalia UNITED. If they wanted independence they could have done it long ago. The state of Puntland is one piece of Greater Somalia. smile.gif

Che-Guevara wrote

Mob_Deep...I could live with Somaliland leaving the union, but Puntland stays with Somali proper at any cost.

I don't understand your logic :confused:

king_450,

Take a DEEP breath...and try to make a logical, concise and thought-out reply next time :D

P.S. Puntland is in North East Somalia ;)

LANDER   

I don't see why Puntland wouldn't be able to declare independence, if the people want it then they should have it. However one MAJOR problem would arise with the map presented by Mobb_deep. They are including Somaliland territory on their map. It is only in recent years that Puntland has started to claim Sool and parts of Sanaag.

this is the map of somaliland

somaliland map

If Puntland declares sovereignty tomorrow over the Sool and Sanaag region, its going to lead to a dangerous situation.

Rokko   

Lander, i like yo posts. You don't insult others and you always present yo case in a civilized way. thats admirable having seen some so-called Somalilanders.

Back to the topic,

The map ya showed is the old British made map.

It stops right at the GAROOWE transportation checkpoint (KANTROOLKA GAROOWE). Is that real to you? smile.gif

I am sure that the city of Garoowe has expanded lately to the checkpoint area so the Somaliland map would even take away some of the city namean? looooooooooooooool.

Nice try.

But I love your passion for Somaliland. You are one cool nomad namean?.

LANDER   

(infamous)Mobb_deep,

thanks for the kind words sxb, I notice your laid back attitude too and we need more nomads like you around. We all need to start given each other respect ya know. Anyway back to the subject. I agree with you alot has changed since the 60's, but here is another map which shows more detail. somalilandgov.com

this is from the somaliland gov. website, and you see where their might be some problems with the claims of the possible futur independent state of Puntland(Sool and Sanaag). What do you suggest as a solution so that Puntland can declare independence peacefully (if they wish)? that is whitout any conflict with Somaliland.

guraad   

As a somali repping Sool , Sanaag & Hawd i am against any separation of any part of somalia .

And whats up with all this british made maps i see out there? british are not the people who own sool , sanaag & hawd so british made maps dont mean any thing to us . we the peole of sool , sanaag and hawd will decided our own fate and thats is to be part of greater somalia . so please take those british made maps away.

Liqaye   

my point is illustrated aboe more divisiveness and ppl building castles in the air, talkin about borders that only exist in their feverish minds.

if selfdetermination is taken to such an extent i want a free yirowe distrct

and i want it now!

Dantay1   

(Federal Republic of the Somali)

Puntland does not need independence it needs to strengthen its identity. Puntland is a federal state so its independence from central authority is not temporary. Federal means in essence that power is devolved to the regions. Puntland has a capital Garowe, and various other major cities (major in comparison to Somali towns) and a vibrant economy.

Puntland is the blueprint for the future Somali states, which will lead to the solving of the greater Somalia and the betterment of the Somali race wherever they may inhabit.

Puntlands claims to Sool and Sanag is more than are historical Sool and Sanag only became part of the British mandate after 1920 and the demise of the great Sayid.

Puntlands major leader are from this region, take the vice president and the Cawad Casharo our champion in the Kenyan meetings. Puntland’s presence in Sool and Sanag have been stepped up one great evidence of this is that there was no Somaliland elections in Las Ano the capital of Sool. And we all know what happened to President Dahir Riyale when he ventured into Las Ano, late last year.

Somaliland has far to many problems at present to deny the people of Sool and Sanag to join the new federal republic of the Somali’s.

Puntland is Somalia and Somalia is Puntland, remember the flag of the country was invented by a Puntlander. So secession is an anathema to a Puntlander. Long live Somalia and may Allah give us the courage to restore the glory of our eternal national capital Mogadishu.