Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

When the moon turns Black

Pacifist   

Salaams Nur

I had a question and researched already but couldn't find anything at all to answer my question.

My sister sent me a message from back home Southern Africa, anyways she said that the moon was black last night. She said that it was one of the signs and that lots of prayers were being prayed.

I couldn't find anything online about this and would very much appreciate it if you could tell me what you know about this.

Jazakallah brother Nur

Nur   

Pacifist sis

Here is what I found on Lunar Eclipse in English:

1. The Sun and Moon Eclipse as a Sign from Allah (SWT).

Narrated Abu Bakra (RA): We were with Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) when the sun eclipsed. Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) stood up dragging his cloak till he entered the Mosque. He led us in a two-Rakat prayer till the sun (eclipse) had cleared. Then the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of someone's death. So whenever you see these eclipses pray and invoke (Allah) till the eclipse is over." [bukhari]

2. Solar or Lunar eclipse has nothing to do with someone’s birth or death.

Narrated Al-Mughira bin Shu'ba: "The sun eclipsed in the life-time of Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) on the day when (his son) Ibrahim died. So the people said that the sun had eclipsed because of the death of Ibrahim. Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "The sun and the moon do not eclipse because of the death or life (i.e. birth) of some-one. When you see the eclipse pray and invoke Allah." [bukhari]

3. In the event of Solar or Lunar eclipse the believers should be mindful of Akhira & turn towards Allah (SWT) and pray.

Narrated Abu Bakra (RA) In the life-time of the Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) the sun eclipsed and he went out dragging his clothes till he reached the Mosque. The people gathered around him and he led them and offered two Rakat. When the sun (eclipse) cleared, he said, "The sun and the moon are two signs amongst the signs of Allah; they do not eclipse because of the death of someone, and so when an eclipse occurs, pray and invoke Allah till the eclipse is over." It happened that a son of the Prophet called Ibrahim died on that day and the people were talking about that (saying that the eclipse was caused by his death). [bukhari]

4. The prayer for Solar Eclipse is with congregation .

Narrated Abu Bakra (RA) In the life-time of the Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) the sun eclipsed and he went out dragging his clothes till he reached the Mosque. The people gathered around him and he led them and offered two Rakat. When the sun (eclipse) cleared, he said, "The sun and the moon are two signs amongst the signs of Allah; they do not eclipse because of the death of someone, and so when an eclipse occurs, pray and invoke Allah till the eclipse is over." It happened that a son of the Prophet called Ibrahim died on that day and the people were talking about that (saying that the eclipse was caused by his death). [bukhari]

5. Ulama have stated that only eclipse occurred in the lifetime of Rasul-ullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and it was Solar.

6. This congregational Solar eclipse is Two Rakaah similar to any other Two Rakaah Salah in the Madhab of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA).

Nauman Ibn Bashir (RA) said that the Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) prayed the Salatul-Khusoof with us like one of your Salahs. He went into Ruku and performed the Sajdah, praying two Rakaats two Rakaats with two Rukuhs and supplicated to Allah (SWT) until the sun clearly reappeared. [Abi Dawud]

Note: As previously stated that there was only one Solar Eclipse (i.e. one congregational Salah) during the lifetime of Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam), however many narrations are found and in some Two Ruku are mentioned (per Rakaah), however according to Scholars in the Hanafi Madhab the most Authentic way is to have one Ruku per Rakaah. Imam Shaf’ae (RA) and others have differed on the matter.

6. Imam can do the recitation loudly or silently.

Note: The opinion of Imam Abu Haneefa is to recite silently but Imam Abu Yusuf (RA) says that the recitation should be done loudly and Imam Muhammad (RA) has recorded both opinions. [Tuhfatul-Fuqaha]

7. Salah should be lengthened until the eclipse is finished.

Note: There is no disagreement on the matter, however if Imam finishes the Salah early then Muslims should still remain engaged in the remembrance of Allah (SWT).

8. Salah for Lunar Eclipse should be prayed individually and not with congregation.

Note: This is the Madhab of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA) and there are many reasons for this position:

1) There is no evidence from Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) of congregational Lunar Eclipse Salah.

2) The Hadeeth of Saheeh Bukhari (step 1) mentions praying but doesn’t stipulate prayer with congregation.

3) Imposing congregational Salah of Lunar Eclipse on people will be undue hardship as it occurs in the Night.

Imam Shaf’ae (RA) has however differed on the matter and his given the evidence from the Sahaba (RA) as follows:

Imam Hasan Al-Basari (RA) narrates that when Abdullah Ibn Abbas (RA) was the Ameer of Basrah the moon was eclipsed. Therefore he came into the Masjid and lead people in two Rakaat Salah and in each Salah he performed two Rukuhs and said, “I have performed it the same way as I saw Prophet (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) perform his prayer” [Musnad Imam Shaf’ae (RA)]

9. Khutbah is neither obligatory nor part of Salah.

Note: Hanafi, Maliki and Hanbali Ulama agree that Khutbah given on this occasion by Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was to eradicate the thought in people's mind that the sun had eclipsed due to the death (of Rasul-ullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) 's son) and to establish that Eclipse is a sign of Allah (SWT) and does not occur due to someone's birth or death, therefore Khutbah is neither an obligation nor part of Salah (like Jummuah Salah, Eid Salah) etc. Imam Shaf'ae (RA) however differs on the matter. [Fiqh Alal- Madhahib Arb'a]

Site: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162588

Baaraka Allahu Feeki

Nur