BN

Vote for a new Somali capital

Wadani, bull's eye man.

No single capital City. a loose federal system ,with each region having a capital city.

The US gov't is federal, and there is JUST ONE single capital city. Federal means, there has to be a central node. You people are attaching much importance to the capital city, in which it doesnt necessarily have. Look at Washington DC. Its not even a state, and doesnt' even have all the perks other states enjoy. It only serves one purpose, and that is being a symbolic city.

the federal capital should be moved every five years or so to spread the development.

Development you say----lets look at W DC. They are doing worse in terms of economic growth, than the other cities in America. Just like you have said, everyone will invest what ever little money they have in their own state.

Its best that Xamar remains the capital city of the new Somalia, because of the symbolic statue that it has.

SA7RAWY   

SomaliaOnline-President

Washington DC was not always the capital of the USA. I think it was moved from Boston/Pittsburg? to Washington. I dont think it's fair to compare US--where the wealth and development are spread around, with Somalia--where the wealth and development were concentrated in Xamar.

Beauty & MIZZ-UNIQUE

Xamar has only been the capital of a united Somalia from 1960-1991. So anyone who asks Where else ....I say Bosaso, Hargeisa, Hobyo, Kismayo, Beletweyne, Baidoa would all make good capitals. Everyone is free to give their opinion--so dont hate.

Salaan...

Originally posted by SomaliaOnline-President:

Wealth i think is what makes a city important, and Xamar has no wealth now. Boosaaaso and Hargeisa are the two most well off cities in Somalia---when we look it economically.

Wah, and you want to become a president with that gaffe? :D Kaaba ga naga sii. Yes, Xamar is not that secure now, but economically it is well off than the rest of Soomaaliya. Suuqa Bakaaraha alone has the heaviest share of Soomaali economy, more even handling the combined business of the two cities you mention.

To those who keep questioning why Xamar remain the capital, you missed two of the main points--the WEATHER and it being {or at least used being} multi-qabiil.

My father settled Xamar because of it having the seat of the former first dowlad ever {1960-9}, but he also always, always used to mention falling in love with its weather; especially a person who has asthma. He is still there, never wanting to leave it, even while his qabiil is never based there. No other major city in Soomaaliya is as moderate being warm in weather as Xamar. Name them. Marko? Baydhabo? Baraawe? Kismaayo? Berbera? Those three are the closest and yet they can't even come close to Xamar.

The qabiil factor, Xamar was settled by every imaginable qabiil in Soomaaliya. You just single out any qabiil, and you might have found them in Xamar. No other city to my knowledge had/has that. Even if you don't find certain qabiil in there now, their wealthy and properties are there. And no, they would never let their properties to be taken by some maryooleey from Ilaaha-og-where.

And third small factor is having access to a great ocean.

A fourth factor, most of the former government's major properties are there, most untouched. Why buy when a new government forms new lands in a new city from scratch when they have their own lands in Xamar.

Even Maxamed Siyaad Barre had been recorded to have said, when Xamar uu kasoo baxay and had been asked why he invested and build Xamar. His answer: "I build Xamar because of its weather--darn it and would have build it again and again!"

Macsalaama!!

AUN   

Dear MMA,

I agree with many of what you have said and no one is doubting that Xamar Cadeey was the most important, rich, multi-ethnic. But all of these happened after it was chosen to become the seat of government. However, the reality is that Xamar today is the most unstable, ghastly city where the most growing economy i sbecoming a warlord. Every day you hear a new name that joing the "The League of Warlords" as it is the highest title that exists there. I am not singling out Mogadisho and I am aware this is a nationwide dilemma however there is nowhere like Mogadishu and seems unlikely that it can restore its former pride as the former capital of Somalia in the near future.

Also bear in mind that there are another cities who share Mogadishu with the the same weather and sea-coast of Indian Ocean and are reasonably are multiethnic - Marka and Kismayo so dont think that these things are only unique to Mogadishu

Salaan...

Also bear in mind that there are another cities who share Mogadishu with the the same weather and sea-coast of Indian Ocean and are reasonably are multiethnic - Marka and Kismayo so dont think that these things are only unique to Mogadishu

Kisima, brother, Marka and Kismaayo's weather is excellent, but not that excellent compared to Xamar. And the issue of multi-qabiil, we all know. Now, let's say Xamar isn't that multi-qabiil anymore, but tell me which other city is? Is it Qoryooleey? Is it Afgooye? Seylac? Laas Caanood? Or others like Burco? Or Luuq? Belad Weyne? Boorame? I don't think so. Not a single major city in Soomaaliya today remains multi-qabiil; still Xamar rules in this field.

The issue of warlordism, well, now I agree with you Xamar isn't the Xamar we knew, but those warlords can be taken care of. Most warlords and their combative near-fanatic followers actually came to Xamar as an adult, born outside of it. They should go at least back to wherefore they came from. Don't they dare to mess our Xamar or play it in a chess. They never built it, and never would. What I am saying is Xamar at least has some qualities that the rest of the cities in the country don't.

There is another thought to it: Not many people claim Xamar as their exclusive qabiil's land. Some maniacs would try to assert that, but Xamar is the only city that many feel embarrassed to say 'we own it.' Even some qabiil fanatics don't dare. And if they dare, they know they never built it.

Rampage, waala isku lee yahey. smile.gif

P.S.: I never thought one day this issue would rise, and the validity of Xamar being a capital would be questioned. Never in a million years.

BN   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

The only reason all the different somali groups moved to Xamar is because that was the only place with things like toilets, hospitals, schools, AC, etc. Basically Somalia was a city-state--not a country. Siad barre spent 60% of the nations wealth in xamar--the rest in defense.

It's mind-boggling to think that we should keep Xamar as the capital because of the "excellent" weather...only in Somalia.

I dont know if you know this but Somalia has the longest beachline in Africa--so a city with access to the Ocean other then Xamar is NOT a problem.

And to say also that Xamar is still the richest city in Somalia--shows that you have not been back there in a while. Even Places like Baydoa are better off then xamar...But to suggest that xamar is STILL the jewel of Somalia is a joke.

Listen to the news--last week 100+ people have been killed there in fighting :( There are dozens of warlords in xamar--and if you think they'll just put down their guns and drop off their technicals...then you are very naive my friend.

But everyone has their own opinions. And thats my 2cents.

PS I wish there was space for an "Anywhere but Xamar" vote...oh well.

RaMpAgE   

Lefty..its true what u said about the killings going on in their..but when it comes to bussiness xamar is still going strong.

shyhem   

Right now i'm undecided on this,however if i was the president of somalia, and had billions of dollars around me i will create a political city,a spiritual city,accomercial city,an entertainment city and finally a higher learning or educational city.

By doing so i will basically satisfy the demands of everybody thus i will save my energy for other important things like making somalis in kenya, Ethiopia and Djabouti powerful in their own countries so that in the near future just like Ariel Sharon i will be able to shape the policies of the neighbouring countries for the interest of both Somalia and the Somalis outside somalia.

The mistakes of the past shouldn't be repeated.

We don't wanna live in city state again. The most sacred thing in Somalia is the human life which is violated everyday in mogadisho. The somali unity, flag, and mogadisho are secondary things and come in distance second. Mogadisho was fine town ,but i think it has out-lived its purpose. Moving the capital to the north should be avioded too since the north is less ethnically and culturally diverse. I think towns like merca and Baraawe can be replace mogadisho as somali's political center. These towns are ideal since they are along the coastline, away from Ethopia, and diverse to an extent. The rights of the native people should however be protected. I see in the future as economic powerhouse competing with Kismayo, Hargeise and Boosaaso. I luv my hometown but i think its days as somali's political center is over.