Sign in to follow this  
KEYNAN22

IT has started Ladies and Gents, It has started. The Talibans in da House!!

KEYNAN22   

Somalia's Islamists to stone rapists to death

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 PM GMT

By Mohamed Ali Bile

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Somalia's newly powerful Islamists on Monday said they will stone to death five rapists, in what some fear is the latest sign of a plan to install a hardline Islamic regime like Afghanistan's Taliban.

The punishments, like others carried out by the Islamists in their sharia courts in the capital Mogadishu and elsewhere, follow the naming of Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys -- on a U.N. list of al Qaeda associates -- to a top post over the weekend.

Aweys, a former army colonel who in the 1990s led militant Islamists in failed campaigns in Somalia but has denied any al Qaeda links, was named head of the Council of Islamic Courts.

The council is a parliament for the Islamists, whose well-trained militias seized Mogadishu from U.S.-backed warlords on June 5 after months of fighting that killed at least 350.

The rapists were to be stoned to death in Jowhar, which the Islamists took in the last phase of a campaign that saw them seize a strategic swathe of Somalia from the coastal capital northwest nearly to the Ethiopian border.

"Five men who raped four women on June 22 will be stoned to death today in accordance with the Islamic sharia. They have pleaded guilty to the crime and also have been identified by the victims," Siyad Mohamed, a militia leader linked to Islamic courts, told Reuters by phone from Jowhar.

The Islamist victory dealt an embarrassing public setback to Washington's counter-terrorism campaign, as its support for the much-despised warlords gave the Islamists popular backing that propelled their ascendancy.

'THE UPPER HAND'

The Islamists at first tried to present a moderate face to the world, saying they only wanted to end anarchy and restore peace lost since dictator Mohamed Siad Barre's ouster in 1991.

One Western diplomat who follows Somalia said Aweys' rise would likely close channels for dialogue with the West.

"I think it demonstrates how secure they feel in their own right. They don't need international recognition, and they can do this because they have the upper hand," the diplomat said.

The shooting of a Swedish journalist in Mogadishu on Friday also hurt the Islamists' claim to be pacifying the city.

Asked about the appointment of Aweys, Somalia's interim government was circumspect: "It is the internal business of the courts," government spokesman Abdirahman Dinari said.

Somalia's weak interim government and the Islamists, in talks mediated by Sudan in Khartoum, last week agreed to recognise each other and meet again on July 15. Both sides are deeply suspicious of the other's intentions.

Court sources have said there is a split in the Islamist ranks between moderates and hardliners like Aweys, who want an Islamic state.

Aweys is a former leader of al-Ittihad al-Islami, which fought for that cause in the 1990s but was defeated by Ethiopia and also warlords Addis Ababa had backed -- including Somalia's current interim president, Abdullahi Yusuf.

An Aweys protege, Aden Hashi Ayro, is an Afghanistan-trained militia commander linked to the killings of aid workers and at least one journalist there in recent years, and the desecration of an Italian cemetery in Mogadishu last year.

Western diplomats and security experts say he has al Qaeda connections and that there are training camps and a handful of the group's operatives in Somalia, but the Islamists deny it.

Gabbal   

"Five men who raped four women on June 22 will be stoned to death today in accordance with the Islamic sharia.
They have pleaded guilty to the crime and also have been identified by the victims
, " Siyad Mohamed, a militia leader linked to Islamic courts, told Reuters by phone from Jowhar.

You reap what you sow. Let them meet their maker.

Capital punishment exists everywhere. What makes ours any different?

Just as electrical shocking of the human impulses is cruel this one should sound as cruel but however in the hearts of the public they want harsh judgement so this is prime..

KEYNAN22   

You've got to be kidding, Right?

You seriously think its OK to stone people to death? Capital punishment is one thing but stoning someone to deatch is as retard as a country can ever get. They can't possibly explain this method of execution beacasue they've run out of bullets. They can atleast stab the men to death with a rusty knife as they did to that man months ago, anything would be better than stoning. Rest asured this will be used against them, talk about being politically infantile.

Close the cinemas down, there is a new form of entertainment in town !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I cant roll my eyes enough times.

Gabbal   

^ :D

Kenan are you among those taught the art of Self-hate? Those taught to hate their "primative" upbringing whilst rejoicing in the enlightenment of the host nations they reside in?

Good gracious boy, sida isku dhaan. Nothing beats the lethal injection in cruelty and yet it does not seem to be declining in the United States.

Now maybe you have an axe to grind against the "Islamic Courts" entity but really this melodrama is not all that necessary!

Duufaan   

is fine for me, as long as it is no public. I do no want see pictures taken in the screen. West kill innocent people by assumption. Guilty poeple go free because they have good defenders and kill innocent because they do not have money to hire defenders. at least this case they are not innocent.

KEYNAN22   

HornAfrique:

I have no axe to grind with the islamic courts, actually i supported their take over of lawless moqdisho, that's why their Stup!d actions now sadens me.

Duufaan:

is fine for me, as long as it is no public

Do you know anything about stoning? its the public who are conducting the execution itself,its suppose to be somekind of family field trip. They encourage people to enjoy while throwing the stones.

RedSea   

Just see the title of the article "Islamists to stone RAPISTS to death". Who wouldn't punish rapists who rape innocent people.

Keynan....Just how do you intend to police a country awashed with guns while trying not offend Western sensabilities?

Somalia needs law and order (Kaladabeen).

Personally, I wouldn't stone them...Just cut off their "Ali".

Some of you never fail to suprise me. Capital punishment is not practiced everywhere as someone here said but few barbaric nations. according wikipedia

Among democratic countries around the world, most European and Latin American states have abolished capital punishment while the United States, Guatemala, and most of the Caribbean as well as democracies in Asia and Africa retain it. Among nondemocratic countries, the use of the death penalty is common but not universal.

In most places that practice capital punishment today, the death penalty is reserved as a punishment for premeditated murder, espionage, treason, or as part of military justice. In some majority-Muslim countries sexual crimes, including adultery and sodomy, carry the death penalty, as do religious crimes such as apostasy. In many retentionist countries drug trafficking is also a capital offense. In China human trafficking and serious cases of corruption are also punished by the death penalty.

800px-Death_Penalty_World_Map.png

Colour scheme:

Blue: Abolished for all crimes

Green: Abolished for crimes not committed in exceptional circumstances (such as crimes committed in time of war)

Orange: Abolished in practice

Red: Legal form of punishment for certain offenses

Capital punishment is one thing, stoning people, forcing minors to stap people to death is another.

It's all good, that is when following the divine commandments of Allaah the glorified! Indeed Keynaan shouldn't put up this fight against the commandments of his creator!

But the intriguing thing for me is if they've thoroughly checked that they have the right persons and I do believe, they've the right individuals hence the confession, which served as a major evidence against the four men in question and on top the victims gave their eye-witness accounts, so they're guilty and should be brought to justice.

One question goes out to keynaan, what would you have done if this four men had raped one of your loved ones (don't take a offence)? Obviously you would want justice!

If this men were married or had been, then this would be forced adultry and hence the "stoning to death"!

However what I find most astonishing is, the courts unproductive efforts to police the nation and doing 'house to house searches' if the reports are to believed to prosecute people, who are watching a game of football and going into individuals homes and smashing electronic equipments but one question remains:

Do they take the same action/actions against their own people, the people who give them their powerbase? I don't think so because it would be fatal to do so.

They don't go to Sheikh Aweys and Indhacaddes kinsmen to smash to pieces satallite and TV receiving equipment because, that would mean loosing the powerbase.

Somehow they think, that they're the Pashtuuns of Afghanistan and if they want to establish a controlled environment, whereby they have the 'right' to enter individual houses even without proper examination and shaky evidence, then they will fail because Islam doesn't sanction such extremism.

Yes protect the society by forbidding the bad and ordering the good but never ever interfere with the lives of the ordinary like e.g. "Some one has got a collection of music cassattes in his home, reported by an undercover authoritatiran and totalitarian religious police gestapo and supsequetely a mob of 200 men from the local mosque give you a visit and push you aside without even ever asking for permit to enter and search your house on the 'evidence of an informal informer', that would be disastorous!"

Leave people to their private and privacy of their homes, they don't have any business what goes on in ones privacy but if that privacy is not honoured and one tries to do major harm or damage to the society i.e. conveying muslims to christianity in a safe house or selling drugs or any other illegal actions for that matter and the courts have sound evidence of bad behaviour, which effects the local neighbourhood in terms of crime and illegal activities, then the courts have every right to destroy it but for heavens sake don't just go in and destroy TV and other electronic equipment simply some family and friends have gathered to watch the 'world cup'!