Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somali shot after allegedly attempting to attack Danish cartoonist

Somali shot after allegedly attempting to attack Danish cartoonistJanuary 1, 2010 8:21 p.m. EST

Kurt Westergaard is known for his controversial depictions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad.STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Assailant allegedly tried to enter the home of Danish political cartoonist Kurt Westergaard

Westergaard known for his controversial depictions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad

Since 2006, Danish authorities arrested others allegedly plotting to kill Westergaard

RELATED TOPICS

Kurt Westergaard

Denmark

(CNN) -- A Somali man was shot as he allegedly tried to enter the home of Danish political cartoonist Kurt Westergaard -- known for his controversial depictions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad -- on Saturday, police said.

The 27-year-old man, who was not identified, wielded an ax and a knife and cracked a window at Westergaard's home in Aarhus, said police spokesman Morten Jensen. A home alarm alerted police to the scene at 10 p.m., and they were attacked by the man, he said.

The officers shot the man in the right leg and left hand. He was hospitalized, but was not seriously injured, police said.

Westergaard's caricature of Mohammed -- which depicted the prophet wearing a bomb as a turban with a lit fuse -- sparked an uproar among Muslims in early 2006 after newspapers reprinted the images months later as a matter of free speech. The cartoon was first published by the Danish newspaper Morgenavisen Jullands-Posten in September 2005.

At the time, Westergaard said he wanted his cartoon to say that some people exploited the prophet to legitimize terror. However, many in the Muslim world interpreted the drawing as depicting their prophet as a terrorist.

Over the years, Danish authorities have arrested other suspects who allegedly plotted against Westergaard's life.

After three such arrests were made in February 2008, Westergaard issued a statement, saying, "Of course I fear for my life after the Danish Security and Intelligence Service informed me of the concrete plans of certain people to kill me. However, I have turned fear into anger and indignation. It has made me angry that a perfectly normal everyday activity which I used to do by the thousand was abused to set off such madness."

Peacenow   

I'm telling you we are heading for absolute meltdown. The peace we created is being destroyed by the useless illiterate islamic clowns brainwashed by the arabs.

Peacenow   

There is nothing left for us law abiding people here in Italy other than to rid ourself 100% of anything Somali. Even our names, and change our skin color using lemons and L'Oreal to escape being suspected of being one of them.

That is the only solution left for us.

Herer   

Originally posted by MAXIMUS POWERS:

This is disgraceful. I remember a time when all my neighbours use to call each other whenever anything Somali was on TV. Now its the headline everyday.

that was golden days

RedSea   

I don't like what this brother did, because he failed his mission. Would have been nice reading news headlines "Danish Cartoonist knifed to death by Somalian".

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Mr. Red Sea:

I don't like what this brother did, because he failed his mission. Would have been nice reading news headlines
"Danish Cartoonist knifed to death by Somalian"

A true Muslim is what you are Mr Red-sea !!.

It is just sad that the "Islam is about peace and love " brigade will claim that Islam is so lovely and peacful that this sick, low-breed Somali-retard wanted to only deliever some flowers with Islamic love.

:D

ADNAAN   

I am sure you all know about the Jewish lady who was the prophet’s (SAW) neighbour, this lady used to physically abuse and harm him on daily basis. Despite all of that he visited her when she got ill. So, wouldn’t you say the sunna here is to send our well wishes to the Danish cartoonist and pray for his safety.

The scholars are and have always been unanimously agreed that the one who insults the Prophet (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) is to be executed.

The Prophet (salAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) sometimes chose to forgive those who had insulted him, and sometimes he ordered that they should be executed, if that served a greater purpose.

But now his forgiveness is impossible because he is dead, so the execution of the one who insults him remains the right of Allah, His Messenger and the believers, and the one who deserves to be executed cannot be let off, so the punishment must be carried out.

Cawaale   

The man, whose name was not released, was charged with attempted murder. Scharf said he was associated with a Somali terrorist group, al-Shabaab, "and al-Qaeda leaders in eastern Africa."

I'm sure he could have find millions of ways to express his anger, it seems the brother spontaneously taken the easy way out of anger which explains why he had an ax and a knife because i don't think he wouldn't take an ax and a knife to kill such a very guarded person if he was Al Qaeda member(Al-shabab in this case) as said in the DK intelligence report.

On a serious note, burning embassy and killing some attention seeking cartoonist wont help Islam or Muslims