Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

Jacpher   

MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

NEW YORK - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the “Imus in the Morning” radio program, responding to growing outrage about the radio host’s racial slur against the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

“This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees,” NBC news said in a statement.

Talk-show host Don Imus triggered the uproar on his April 4 show, when he referred to the mostly black Rutgers women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.” His comments have been widely denounced by civil rights and women’s groups.

The decision does not affect Imus’ nationally syndicated radio show, and the ultimate decision on the fate of that program will rest with executives at CBS Corp. In a statement, CBS reiterated that Imus will be suspended without pay for two weeks beginning on Monday, and that CBS Radio “will continue to speak with all concerned parties and monitor the situation closely.”

MSNBC’s action came after a growing list of sponsors — including American Express Co., Sprint Nextel Corp., Staples Inc., Procter & Gamble Co., and General Motors Corp. — said they were pulling ads from Imus’ show for the indefinite future.

NBC News President Steve Capus said he made the decision after reading thousands of e-mails and having countless discussions with NBC workers and the public, but he denied the potential loss of advertising dollars had anything to do with it.

“I take no joy in this. It’s not a particularly happy moment, but it needed to happen,” he said. “I can’t ignore the fact that there is a very long list of inappropriate comments, of inappropriate banter, and it has to stop.”

NBC’s decision came at a time when Imus’ program on MSNBC was doing better competitively than it ever has been. For the first three months of the year, its audience was nearly identical to CNN’s, leading CNN to replace its morning news team last week.

Jacpher   

Yaa Jenerale, marytrdom is not about insulting others.

I'm glad they didn't buy his cheap apology directed at the media outlets not to the players he so offended. Feminist movement plus civil rights activists were able to convince to pull their ads of the program. How powerful!

^^^I agree I have no sympathy but this man has enough money & support to take the route of Howard Stern. Its not the end of the moron. But I do applaud the decesion of MSNBC, though it came late.

Jacpher   

Late better than never! I know it won't hurt him big but it sends a strong signal. I'm sure he'll get more publicity and probably land better deal than what he had going. I'd surpised though if he gains the heart of prominent African American politicians or women's advocate group. I liked how Obama and Al-Sharpton responded and demanded he gets fired.

I heard another radio DJ tried to pull the same crap on the air and lost his job.

Jimcaale

The other radio host who was in the news was Michael ray richardson. He said jews were "Crafty". Then he got the plug. No Sponsorship's gone, or 2 week suspension.

What is so racial about this?

Black doesn’t = nappy heads

Nappy heads don’t = blacks.

So people need to stop saying this is racial, the man barely stated his opinion. They should focus more on the “ho” part. He was totally off there. As for the “nappy heads”, African American men call them that regularly on rap music, they are called all other defamatory words as well. So why cry wolf now?

is it because the man is white???

Mystic

What you don't understand is the connotation behind such comments.

Don Imus is from the south. You live in Utah. You know how Southern White folk act.

In the south white american men used to call their female servants, when in need of sexual gratification, "Nappies".