Sign in to follow this  
mojam

2006 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

mojam   

The official 2006 CL thread add your comments. Will there be another surprise package from one of the poor leagues in terms of income (PSV this year, FC Porto in 2004). Is it possible for Chelsea to make it all the way. What about Barcelona, Milan, Inter, Man U, Real, Juve, Bayern, Lyon?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FACTS:

see the last one!

-Francisco Gento is the only player to be on 6 champions Cup-winning sides.

-Clarence Seedorf is the only player to win the Champions Cup with 3 different teams:

Ajax Amsterdam 1995

Real Madrid 1998

A.C. Milan 2003

-The city of Milan, Italy, is the only one that won the Champions Cup with two different teams: Inter & Milan (the two clubs won 8 cups in total).

-Many clubs won the Cup unbeaten: Inter Milan (1964) and Ajax Amsterdam (1972) are those with the best record, 7 wins and 2 draws.

-Real Madrid have the record number of consecutive participations in the Champions' Cup with 15, from 1955/56 to 1969/70.

-Only on two occasions has the Final of the Champions Cup/League involved two teams from the same country: Real Madrid v Valencia (1999/00) and A.C. Milan v Juventus (2002/03).

-In the long history of the cup, only four derbies between teams of the same city have been played:

1958/59 Real Madrid vs Atlético de Madrid (semifinal)

2002/03 Internazionale (Milan) vs A.C. Milan (semifinal)

2003/04 Chelsea vs Arsenal (quarterfinal)

2004/05 Internazionale vs A.C. Milan (quarterfinal) - 2nd leg was abandoned because of disturbances among the Inter fans.

-Manchester United, Celtic, PSV Eindhoven and Ajax Amsterdam are the only teams to complete a "treble"—win their domestic league championship, their domestic cup, and the Champions League/European Cup. Man United did so during the 1998/99 season. Celtic managed this in 1966/67, also winning the Scottish League Cup and Glasgow Cup that year. In 1972 Ajax won the European Cup, their domestic league and cup. The following season they also won the European Super Cup and the European/South American Cup. PSV did this in 1987/88, while Liverpool won the European Cup, the league title and the League Cup in 1980/81.

Ajax Amsterdam was unbeaten in the Champions Cup/League for 20 matches from 1985/86 to March 1996.

-The 2002/03 semifinal between bitter city rivals A.C. Milan and Internazionale was the first time both games of a two-legged tie were in the same stadium (San Siro). This matchup was repeated in the 2004/05 quarterfinals.

-Only two individuals have won the Champions League with the same club as a player then later as a coach. Miguel Muñoz of Real Madrid did it as a player in 1955/56 and 1956/57, before winning it as a coach in 1965/66. Carlo Ancelotti did it as an A.C. Milan player in 1988/89 and 1989/90 before coaching them to victory in 2002/03.

-Cesare Maldini and his son Paolo are the only father and son duo to skipper the same club to victory in the competition. Cesare led A.C. Milan to victory in 1962/63, and Paolo captained them to victory in 2002/03.

-The anthem of the Champions League, which is played during prematch ceremonies before each match and introduces television coverage of the competition, is by Tony Britten, based on George Frideric Handel's coronation anthem "Zadok the Priest", and is performed by the Chorus of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

-Ottmar Hitzfeld and Ernst Happel are the only coaches in the history of the European Cup/UEFA Champions League to win the title with two different clubs. Hitzfeld did so with Borussia Dortmund in 1997 and Bayern Munich in 2001; Happel led Feijenoord (now Feyenoord) in 1970 and Hamburg in 1983.

-Olympique de Marseille were the first winners of the new format UEFA Champions League in 1993.

-Manchester United's treble-winners of 1998/99 were the first winners of the tournament to have won neither their domestic title nor the European Cup/Champions League the previous season. In 1997/98, United finished runners-up in the Premiership to Arsenal and lost in the quarterfinals of the Champions League to Monaco.

-Nottingham Forest are the only club to have won the European Cup more times (twice) than they have won their domestic league (once). Forest won the English League in 1978 before winning the European Cup in 1979 and defending it in 1980.

Forest also have the unfortunate distinction of being the only winners of the European Cup to have later been relegated out of the top two leagues in their country.

-Paolo Maldini of Milan scored the fastest ever goal in Champions League in 2005 final against Liverpool inside 53 seconds. He was also the oldest (37 year old) to score in Champions League final.

-All 11 goals, including the penalty shoot-out, were scored in the same goal in 2005's final between AC Milan and Liverpool.

more ... http://www.answers.com/topic/uefa-champions-league

stadedefrance5.jpg

Stade de France, Paris (2006 CL Final Venue)

I'll be damned if I see an English team win the CL in this new millenium and yes Liverpool is a Spanish team not English they jus play in England

ahhahhhahhhahhhhahhaahahahha

mojam   

MATCHDAY ONE is on da way.. FINALLY

everybody favourite league is starting!

Seems like Real Madrid is going to have it tough against Lyon after their defeat to Celta Vigo.

The only other true match worth mentioning seems to be Villa Real against man utd.

Arsenal will have it easy against FC Thun or Thung FC whatever this team is called!

One thunderous shot from the Below Lampard was nuff 2 see win the 3 points but its beats me,,Y liver-bull r top of the table lil did we know we needed 2 goals.

Nywayz we blue and bue and Twice as Ugly

Long live Jose,

SoMa_InC   

^^^^Sxb wlc aboard. Its good to see a fellow Chelsea fan in SOL. I am really glad to see a Chelsea fan on board.

I really cant wait for the 28th, Revenge is sweet.....

Damn Real Madrid got trashed by Lyon....I want them out in the group stages.

Arsenal always get easy group and they always disappoint their fans as usual!

peace.

nuune   

it is going good, as POOL got the points they needed,superb display by Livepool on the first half, but as the manager changed some formation, it was alright for us to keep the shots, they damn good players(BETIZ)

Real madrid, ooh gosh, completelty destroyed by Lyon,

I would look forward to United game tonight as tyhey take the spaniards, aah well, it gona be difficult for United to get some points

nuune   

Soma_Inc , I am very sure Liverpool will get three points in Anfield on our next BETIZ game, that is 6, and with andlerlacht we gona get 6 points from there, that is 12, and with you chelsickvovich, it is hard to predict, but I believe we will beat you one game and drew with u the next game, now that is 16, enough to get to the second round, no doubt,

and Betiz is very strong team, keep that in mind in case you will think chelsick will beat the spaniards and grab few points there!

I got that mini analysis when I saw Chelsikcs performance last night, a dogy goal they displayed indeed, kudoos anyway smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Gr8 performance last night, Soma, we will see what happens, but if Chelsea take the 3 points it will not feel like losing a CL Semi Final with the knowledge that you xan beat the other team in the final :D it will only be a group match and we have a win under our belts already.

I'm hoping for a good result on sunday against the Mancs.

nuune   

North, that sunday game, I can't wait it, I know keanoo is not playing and they put Smith in his place, so we really need a win there , remember they beat us the two games last season, and keep in mind we had 2 games in hand

SoMa_InC   

Soma_Inc , I am very sure Liverpool will get three points in Anfield on our next BETIZ game, that is 6, and with andlerlacht we gona get 6 points from there, that is 12, and with you chelsickvovich, it is hard to predict, but I believe we will beat you one game and drew with u the next game, now that is 16, enough to get to the second round, no doubt,

Nuune you seem over confident sxb! Those words would come and hunt you down!

I'm hoping for a good result on sunday against the Mancs.

Northener, Sxb I hate Man Utd but on Sunday I am on their side. Go Man Utd...Send the spanish team back to Spain..