Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

Prime Minister Geedi Commits a Major Political Gaffe!

Yeniceri   

Originally posted by Maakhir:

Practically speaking, most of the TFG’s support comes from Puntland. So what If the secessionists obtain recognition from the International community?

Then, the "secessionists" will continue to wield power and influence in less territory than they do today (let's remember that, for purposes of peace, the "secessionists" are 150 KM into Sool region). The status quo only exists because of tribal strife within the Sool community. But, if talk of recognition ever becomes serious, expect the regions of northern Somalia to become ablaze.

The relationship part obviously points to the declaration of a lobbyist and consultant of “somalilandâ€, Iqbal Jhazbay at an “informational session†hosted by the U.S State Department in SA that Geedi’s government will boost and support Somaliland if the World recognizes it. And the subsequent confirmation of Geedi himself on BBC radio

The future of African nations isn't determined by an individual named Iqbal Jhazbay. And neither can Geedi nor Cabdullahi decide whether or not Somaliland is recognized as an independent nation. Ethiopia doesn't want to recognize Somaliland, for that would lead to further increase of rebel warfare within Ethiopian borders. Secondly, Ethiopia would get condemnation of the highest kind from the rest of Africa. Thirdly, let's remember that Meles Zenawi is busy manufacturing a war with Eritrea so that attention will be diverted away from his dictatorial rule and gross human rights abuses. His days in Addis are numbered - and Cabdullahi Yusuf's gov't won't go anywhere as long as it continues to tie its interests to that of a falling nation (Ethiopia).

Federalism is viewed by many, including me, as the source of Somalia’s hope

When the leaders of the SSDF convened in 1994 (I believe) and drafted a draft policy to make Somalia as "federal republic," they didn't do a good job convincing the rest of the Somali factions. If "Puntland" is to be the "role model" of the federal republic, then I'm afraid some of us don't want to see a federal Somalia (ruled, by proxy, from Addis).

Since "Puntland" came into being, several events have taken place that were, until recently, unheard of in that part of Somalia:

1. Cabdullahi Yusuf's "Puntland" denied ONLF military leaders the right to use the "friendly" port of Boosaaso. Thus, why ONLF leaders have forged a relationship with Indhocade and Muqdisho's "Islamic" (clan) courts and reports of ONLF units training in Dhuusamareeb.

2. Armed Ethiopian military personnel crossing over into the Somali border with the nod of none other than Cabdullahi Yusuf himself. In "Puntland", during the height of its civil strife, many in the Northeastern community avoided war with Cabdullahi because, as they so eloquently put it, "wuu waalan yahay." What kind of Somali leader orders Ethiopian troops to cross over into Somali territory so that his source of power may be restored?

The federal option, while feasible, has been infiltrated by Ethiopian imperialists bent on never seeing a strong Somalia again. That's one of their major goals (national interest) - regardless of whether Haile Selassie, Mengistu or Meles is in power. Cabdullahi Yusuf has already played his major card: Ethiopia as a powerbroker. And as long as that continues to be his card, then we can expect Somalia to fall into a deeper abyss than it already has.

The time has come to empower real Muslim leaders. Before Ayatollah Khomenei took power in Tehran in what is known as the "Islamic Revolution," Iran was a puppet state and a playground for the CIA. Today, Somalia with its proxy leaders Cabdullahi Yusuf and Cali Geedi is in a similar situation. We've become the playground for Ethiopian imperialists - a long-time dream come true for them. Unfortunately, if things continue as they have, our generation of Somalis will bear witness and go down in Somali history as the only Somali generation that gave in to Ethiopian demands, to Ethiopian plans. Why? Because after centuries of studying us, the Ethiopians were provided with our primary weakness on a silver plate: tribal mindset. They've exploited it and used it masterfully to their advantage (and, conversely, to our disadvantage). If that's not failure, then I don't know what is.

May Allah SWT save Somalia from the Somali people who continue to ruin it. Aamiin!

Xudeedi   
Originally posted by Jannisary:

[Then, the secessionists will continue to wield power and influence in less territory than they do today.

That wasn't my point. The status of the TFG isn't fully established yet or has a central power to say the least that they can support secessionist group. I agree with what you said about the secessionists' limited territory control and their illegal encroachment on parts of the Sool territories behind an organized and a preemptive war against Puntland forces that are now based in Las Anod.

The future of African nations isn't determined by an individual named Iqbal Jhazbay. And neither can Geedi nor Cabdullahi decide whether or not Somaliland is recognized as an independent nation. Ethiopia doesn't want to recognize Somaliland, for that would lead to further increase of rebel warfare within Ethiopian borders.

This is exactly the opposite of what I said except using these two figures, Iqabal, a lobbyist for the secessionist and contingent Ethiopia's prime minister as part of the events that accumulated to this outcome of which many interpreted the prime minister's faux pas as a betrayal of trust and possible rift between Puntland and the TFG. So, I only tried to elucidate what i believed the problem was---lack of ideological uniformity or clarification thereof from the Cabinet ministers or even the president regarding the words of the prime minister. The prime minister also denied the existence of Somali region in Ethiopia.

Secondly, Ethiopia would get condemnation of the highest kind from the rest of Africa. Thirdly, let's remember that Meles Zenawi is busy manufacturing a war with Eritrea so that attention will be diverted away from his dictatorial rule and gross human rights abuses. His days in Addis are numbered - and Cabdullahi Yusuf's gov't won't go anywhere as long as it continues to tie its interests to that of a falling nation (Ethiopia).

Indeed, Zenawi is no different than Mao and Castro. The irregularities and the rigging up of the elections in favor of his party EPRDF have led for the Great Powers to withdraw their support because it was highly believed the newly created CUD party of the opposition (four parties that emerged as one) would have won the election had it not for the National Electoral Board's decision to deny the party official recognition. I alluded to this internal division in my earlier post. It is also too early to predict whether the TFG would work or not owing to the achievement they have made so far, which shows signs of progress. Second, the survival of his government is not positively or negatively dependent on Mela Zenawi's retention of power.

Ethiopia's border dispute with Eritrea and the pressure of the subaltern communities of Oromo, Amhara, and the Somali also highlight the impending danger of the fall of Zenawi's regime. Despite both countries' agreement in principle to settle their disputes, there exists mounting criticism from Addis Ababa about the ruling of the international commission on the disputed border, which ceded some tracts of land claimed by Ethiopia to Eritrea.

Barring to the few points about which I run into disagreement with you, the rest of your argument is based on well founded premises, most of which i concur with you.

Yeniceri   

Second, the survival of his government is not positively or negatively dependent on Mela Zenawi's retention of power.

SXB, if we were to open our eyes and really see the bigger picture, we know that all of this TFG-Jowhar's "progressive" steps were taken with the overt help of the Addis Ababa terrorist regime. Without Meles, Cabdullahi Yusuf is nothing but an old, ailing man living in the guest house of Md. Max'd Dheere. Let's remember that, then-Puntland pres Cabdullahi Yusuf was physically removed out of office in Garoowe. He returned with thousands of heavily-armed troops from Ethiopia to oust Jamac Cali Jamac from office. Meles, my friend, literally saved this man's political career during those uncertain days. And its Meles who continues to support and safeguard Cabdullahi's government (and, in turn, produce Somali leaders who say "Ethiopians are my brothers" and "There is no Somali terrirory under foreign rule" and "Kids born in Hargaysa are closer to kids born in Addis than those in Muqdisho").

Have you ever seen an Ethiopian leader speak in such charming terms about the Somali people? If there is one, I don't know about him.

And lastly, let's remember that it was Ethiopia which destroyed Cabdiqasim's government. Ethiopia is playing the position it always dreamed of throughout history: become the ultimate powerbroker in Somalia (by taking advantage of Somalis' weakness: tribes). Many Ethiopian Christians might not like Meles, but I'm sure they love what he's doing in Somalia.

Xudeedi   

Jenniser, Geopolitically, I think the federal government of Ethiopia still wants law and order restored in Somalia but within the framework of their national policy towards Somalia. The elected president sees the sophistication of Ethiopia and the relative fragmentation of our country. Therefore, it becomes imperative for him to not interrogate or object to Ethiopia's plans for the time being, for most of the warlords that now control Mogadisho and vicinities would take the initiative and use it against the fragile institutions of the TFG. I think A/Y and Geedi are committed to attaining their goals through pacifist approach and understanding of the warlords' demands. P.M. For instance, Geedi fulfilled a national task that was in imminent danger of his life for the sake of the people. Let us not take the Ethio-Yey conspiracy theory out of proportion. Despite his shortcomings, he has yet to demonstrate any threats to the warlords that would force them to the TFG's fold, but rather he is seeking peaceful resolution and national undertaking for the sake of creating a legitimate and once for all federal government.

Xudeedi   

Now the prime minister is really talking.

SSI had the opportunity this week to sit down with the Prime Minister of Somalia, Ali Mohammed Gedi. Here he answers questions about a new reconciliation process, violence and instability in Mogadishu and elsewhere, piracy off the Somali coast, lackluster international support, and relations with Somaliland.

SSI: Are there any talks and meetings with the government in Somaliland and the Transitional Federal Government?

PM A. Gedi: Not yet. As I have said, once we have to stabilize the rest of Somalia, we are prepared to start dialogue with them.

SSI: We have had interviews with Somaliland authorities, and they are of the opinion that you are their brothers, and if the Transitional Federal Government so wishes them to cooperate, they can cooperate, but as a different entity not as one entity (one Somalia). What do you have to say of this notion?

PM A. Gedi: I don’t believe in different entities.The act of union of the 1960 is still there, and the unity did not come with the willingness of one part- it was a common understanding. It was a common undertaking. And it still needs a common understanding and collective effort to consolidate the Somalia unity under governance. It is within the transitional federal charter of Somalia that Somalia is one country, it is one nation, and to reach that objective it needs a combined effort and collective decisions and consultations through dialogue. So we understand that maybe some international actors are trying to advocate for the recognition of Somaliland but that will never happen.

SSI: You were quoted as saying if the international community recognizes Somaliland we don’t have a problem, we will accept them. If that is right and if the international community comes to recognize Somaliland as a separate entity, what would be the outlook of your government?

PM A. Gedi: First of all, the decision and destiny is in the hands of the Somali people not in the hands of the international community. The international community operates through the charter of the United Nations and International Organizations. And in nowhere in that charter is a separation and division of nations possible, so the recognition must come from the Somali people through referendum, through acceptance and through willingness. That was the process of the unity form the beginning and it needs the same process. No country, no international organization can recognize them.

SSI: If Somaliland calls for a referendum, would you support that, to see whether the people would opt for unity or separation?

PM A. Gedi: A referendummust include all Somali people, not part of the Somali people. This is not an easy task. It is not like local administration, it is the destiny of the whole nation. So it must be all inclusive and it must express all of Somalia, if a referendum is deemed necessary for the restoration of the reunification.

SSI: Somaliland is a peaceful place. If you believe that it is still within the framework of Somalia why wouldn’t your government cooperate with them and try to stabilize the rest of Somalia? Wasn’t it possible to locate the government in Somaliland for more secure operations?

PM A. Gedi: First of all, let me clarify. From a political point of view, still there are different degrees of stability and the government is committed now to stabilize wherever is not stable. When we stabilize the rest of Somalia we will open dialogue with Somaliland.

SSI: What percentage of Somalia is now stable?

PM A. Gedi: Almost the whole country is stable, but what is lacking is local administration to run each respective area. We have started the set-up of local administrations. That is what we are lacking, not stability at all.

SSI: You are friendly with many countries, including Ethiopia, who happens to have good relations with Somaliland. How do African countries like Ethiopia advise you to look at Somaliland?

PM A. Gedi: The AU and the IGAD member states are focusing on Somalia and not Somaliland. Yes, we are encouraging them for the stability they have achieved and the reconstruction activities they are passing through. But politically speaking, all the AU counties and all the international community are sticking to Somali unity and territorial integrity. This is the common ground even within the charter of the United Nations. So there is no abuse and aberration on that issue.

SSI: But the people of Somaliland have a bit further than just stability. They have effectively carried out the democratization process, installed government institutions and gone through election process more effective than some African counties that have legitimacy. These achievements cannot be overlooked by anyone, and on their part they are saying they need to be rewarded for these achievements. What is your consideration of this?

PM A. Gedi: What is your mission? Are you advocating for the secession of Somaliland from the rest of Somalia or are you just asking me for clarification of what is happening.

SSI: I am just asking for more clarifications, Sir.

PM A. Gedi: I appreciate the effort of the Somaliland people with respect to the stabilization, reconstruction and the governance they are enjoying. But they are still an entity of Somalia. And that cannot be accepted if there is no common sense. What we are calling for is to start a dialogue with them, but it takes effort to start with. So rewarding in a sense is there, but politically speaking Somaliland is a part and parcel of Somalia. So that is the road map for the destiny of the Somali people and the Somali mission. Besides Somaliland communities were included in the reconciliation process in Kenya. These communities are part of the parliament; they are part of my cabinet ministers. The Deputy Prime Minister is from Somaliland, from Hargeisa. So don’t consider only those staying in the geographical area of Somaliland, also those who are part and parcel of the government. Hargeisa is not the only stable place. There are similar places enjoying stability in the country. And all the actions, the killings that were taking place in Somalia were also taking place in Hargeisa. Not only in Somalia is it happening all over the world. So there is no distinction between Somaliland and the rest of Somalia or Somalia and the rest of the world.

SSI: How about the issue of pirates, which has drawn international attention. It is said the coast of the Indian Ocean including the ports of Mombassa and Zanzibar are being barred because of the piracy on the Somali coast. What is being done to control this situation?

PM A. Gedi: This new phenomenon of piracy in the waters of the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea is a dangerous one. It is affecting not only Somalia but the whole passage of commodities, fishing activities, as well as tourism and humanitarian supplies. We have several times appealed to the international community to support the Transitional Federal Government in order to tackle this problem. Efforts are now under way and there are consultations at the regional and international level in order to address this and we are quite confident we will be able to tackle the issue.

SSI: In one way you are disarming the militia, but you also need security forces on the other hand are you establishing a national army or police force?

PM A. Gedi: Of course with in the demobilization process some of the former armed forces and the national police and army will be reestablished. Most of the militias will be trained for future police and national army, while part of them will be given vocational training for integration back into society. So already the processes of reestablishing our national security forces are under process, and hopefully we will strengthen them in collaboration with our neighboring countries and at the regional level as well.

SSI: When will the disarming of the militia start?

PM A. Gedi: Already we have started. Already we have demobilized 6,00 militia. They are in the camps, under training. According to the availability of international support and financial logistic availability, we are ready to continue with this mobilization.

SSI: At the time you moved out form Kenya, People though the first thing you were going to have to do is to dialogue with community leaders on the grassroots level. And sort out a national reconciliation issues whereby you give the community elders a responsibility to disarm. Not only militias, but at the household level. But we have not heard so afar that this has taken place. What have you done in this regard?

PM A. Gedi: The political reconciliation has taken place. We agreed on a federal charter, on the parliament, and we have elected leaders and formed the government. So what is remaining is grassroots level reconciliation, between communities and neighbors and different districts, and that is under process. In fact in the road map of the reconciliation process in Somalia we have planned to convene district level and regional level reconciliation conferences, and finally we will conclude with a gathering of all the representations from the different regions of Somalia in the capital city in order to declare that the reconciliation of Somalia is complete and that the government is running all over the country. So this is our road map.

But still there are loopholes. We have to stabilize parts of the country. There are places where there is no control. So unless we put in place local administrations we cannot even run these reconciliation conferences. We want to ask them questions. What are the needs of your district or region? Of course they will say we need security, we need administration. What is the obstacle to stability? They will say the militias, the gunmen. Why don’t you put them in camps, why don’t you train them why don’t you train them, why don’t you reestablish your courts and your police stations.

This is the process, so once we complete this at the district level delegates will come to the regional level and then to the national level. So this is our road map, and we have confidence in carrying our these activities because of the support of Somali people everywhere.

SSI: In your personal opinion, what are the difficulties in the road map you just explained and how do you aim to tackle them?

PM A. Gedi: Challenges and difficulties are everywhere. Somalia is not unique. But as a matter of priority we have security difficulties. In the context of the road map we are trying to handle the issue. The only weakness evident is the lack of financial support form the international community. Now that we are in the early stages of the reconciliation process, we have the trust and confidence that the donor community will support us. And if we get that support we have all the strength and the credibility to carry out our responsibilities and to stabilize the country.

SSI: One the last question. When do you suppose the Temporary Federal Government will have control over Mogadishu?

PM A. Gedi: As have told you it is a process, and the transitional federal institutions are operating now in the capital city with the leader ship of the deputy prime Minister, my minister of the interior. Already some ministries are operating in the capital City. Our plan is to stabilize and start operating fully with in the capital city within the coming three or four months.

Source: Sub-Saharan Informer

WD Link

BN   

PM Geedi: Some international actors are trying to advocate for the recognition of Somaliland but
that will never happen.

Thats good to hear but why the sudden change of heart? Seems Mr. Geedi is finally learning the ins and outs of Somali politics. Better late...

Taleexi   

The Prime Minister Mr. Geddi finally spoke out and now there is no more ambiguity in his position regarding his recent remarks about Somali unity.

Gabbal   

A referendummust include all Somali people, not part of the Somali people.

Must the final nail be placed on the secessionist camp's coffin! :D

Pujah   

Speak clearly old man what is your point?

Are you by any chance suggesting that our new “government” days are limited?