Sign in to follow this  
LixAfar iyo Nus

Modernization Vs. Westernization

When the colonizers retreated, they left behind fragile governments that were based on the model of their conquerors; the dominated parties were alien to the traditions of their ancestors. The early Muslim intellectuals were convinced that the only way to modernize was to westernize, according to them, the tradition of Islam must be abandoned in totality in order for the Muslim countries to move forward. The reasons why these scholars never even contemplated the notion of the two reaching consensus was that they were themselves alien to the judicial tradition of Islam. The only way to survive was to learn to ways of the new masters of the world. The colonial left behind such a destructive legacy that the colonized countries began to loose confidence in the traditional way of governing, such a experience can hardly teach a dominated party self-respect. 20th century Muslim intellectuals in their effort to counter the spreading influence of western culture dwelled on the short-comings of the western culture, they have repulsed the onslaught of western culture into the Muslim societies but in doing so, they have stifled creativity and missed the chance of growing with the technology of the western countries. As 20th century passed by many Muslim countries are still struggling with the notion of modernity, and how they can bring their countries into the forefront of a contending nations.

Indeed as the 20 centuray has already passed by many muslim countries are still struggling to reconciling themselves with modernity. But the question is why?

Consider the fact that the vast majorirty of muslim countries, infact all of them are run by autocracies (and totally incompetant ones @ that)and you should realise that to draw some comparisons between the relative sucessess of the western societies (in creating morden states i.e. welfare state, free eductaion, multy party govt)

and those muslim countries is somewhat misleading.

I myself doubt very much that the problem is (for the general population) anymore or less the result of ideological differences (go west? or remain sted fast to the idea of an islamic republic)than the lack of access to vital resources, the lack of a health services, the provision of free education, the lack of freedom to scrutinize the ruling party regime and so forth.

Of course Islamic countries should be able to modernize, however as u quite righty stated the legacy of the recent colonial history coupled with a succession of un democractic, and un islamic regimes have brought several muslim countries to the piont @ which there @ today.

TIIMBARO   

I like this piece. The colonial experience was certainly very destructive. My question is, many countries were colonized and these countries recovered, but why can't africa and other middle eastern countries still insist on dwelling on the negative impact the colonial powers left behind?

The difference between westernization and modernization is that actually nothing. They are both the same. What would you call modernization, how would you decide what it could be. Technology? Science? Human evolution? Moving away from the practical?

The fact remains that the west came is defined modern, because of their technological advancements. In fact factors which differentiate the two hardly exist.

Secondly, this is to the topic producer. Muslim countries are not democratic, Islam produces no value which constitutes the existence of a democratic system. From hard left feminist to laize-faire feminists will tell women are undermined. Though I somewhat disagree.

The fact remains, modernization already exists in Islamic states. The effects of globalization has reached every corner of the world. An Arab student protests while wearing Guess jeans and drinking coke, going home to listen to his tupac cd.

That’s modernization, the adaptation of the mainstream.

Islam produces no value which constitutes the existence of a democratic system

Hey Mr. Animal Farm, you know we`ve already discussed this AT LENGTH recently, so I won`t comment on this one.

The theory of modernization argues that, along with mass campaigns for education, industrialization, etc., the society must also forfeit its traditional values and culture, in order to phase into a so-called `modern` era. This obviously conflicts with Islamic ideology. But westernization? Wearing Guess jeans and drinking Coke is definitely Westernization. And obviously, no developing country has had difficulty accomplishing this.