Sign in to follow this  
me

Riches of Somaliland remain untapped

me   

Riches of Somaliland remain untapped

By James Melik

Business reporter, BBC World Service

Until Somaliland gets official international recognition it cannot exploit its rich reserves of natural resources.

Although agriculture is the most successful industry, surveys show that Somaliland has large offshore and onshore oil and natural gas reserves.

Several wells have been excavated during recent years but because of the country's unrecognised status, foreign energy companies cannot benefit from it.

Somaliland is in north east Africa but, as far as the outside world is concerned, it is simply a region of war-torn Somalia which has not been a nation since Britain gave it independence in 1960.

Yet the area the size of England declared independence 18 years ago and, while the rest of Somalia remains in a chaotic state, Somaliland has established a stable government, peace and relative prosperity.

Self reliance

The country's progress is limited however, because aid donors and trade partners do not officially recognise its existence.

After declaring independence in 1991, Somaliland formed its own hybrid system of governance consisting of a lower house of elected representatives, and an upper house which incorporated the elders of tribal clans.

Somaliland made its final transition to multi-party democracy with elections in 2003.

“ We have to rely solely on our meagre revenues and the investments of our own people ”

Foreign Minister Abdillahi Duale

The country has its own flag, national anthem, vehicle number plates and currency - although the Somaliland shilling is not a recognised currency and has no official exchange rate.

It is regulated by the Bank of Somaliland which was established constitutionally in 1994.

Foreign minister Abdillahi Duale says the recession affecting the rest of the world is causing him particular concern.

"As a country which is not yet recognised this global phenomenon is affecting us very seriously," he laments.

"We do not have access to international trade or international financial institutions," he says. "So we have to rely solely on our meagre revenues and the investments of our own people."

'De facto' state

Mr Duale insists that his people have a great entrepreneurial spirit and are business-oriented.

“ We need butter, we are not asking for guns ”

Foreign Minister Abdillahi Duale

Most trade is carried out with the Gulf States, Indonesia and India.

"Trade doesn't require recognition," he says.

The main export is livestock, with sheep and camels being shipped from Berbera, the country's largest port.

In order to export livestock, a veterinary license has to be issued.

To facilitate that, a veterinary school has been built in Sheikh and it attracts students from the Horn of Africa and as far afield as Uganda and Kenya.

Mr Duale is unperturbed that such licences will not have the force that a United Nations-sponsored veterinary licence would have.

"We are not members of the UN but nevertheless, the international community trades with us because we are a de facto state," he says.

He admits however, that one of the major problems the lack of official recognition creates is the inability to access international financial institutions.

"We cannot talk to the International Monetary Fund or the World Bank because they only talk to recognised states," he says.

"We rely on ourselves and our Diaspora, which accounts for almost $600m of revenue a year.

"People get by but it is very difficult without infrastructure," he says, "We need butter, we are not asking for guns."

Growth industry

Apart from livestock, other exports include hides, skins, myrrh and frankincense.

Mining has the potential to be a successful industry although simple quarrying is the extent of current operations - despite the presence of diverse mineral deposits including uranium.

One industry which has seen growth however, is tourism.

The historic town of Sheikh is home to old British colonial buildings which have been untouched for 40 years, whilst Zeila was once part of the Ottoman Empire.

Due to the fertility of some regions, many people travel to see the wildlife, while the offshore islands and coral reefs provide another major attraction.

Whoever is brave, or reckless enough, to break ranks with the world community and gives Somaliland the recognition is craves, must surely be well placed to take advantage of the riches the country has to offer.

me   

They want to steal the Somali resources huh? The Bradash I mean......they will use their usual goons to steal the resources of our people.

I agree with Aminart

The UK has ruled Somaliland more than 75 years ( the longest rule ever)...they recorded our cattles head by head & our people tribe by tribe...if there is really recourses "untapped" why they did not exploit it all of those years?

The Oil story is simply a myth used to put the oldest generation into sleep...while this generation has in addition to oil: "ictirafaka" everytime sandheere flies here & there for tourism..

Still I believe the most greatest economies in the world do not rely on oil but on brains so lets quit this wishful thinking mafrash and start exploiting our youth before its too late...

me   

Originally posted by Shankarooni:

lets quit this wishful thinking mafrash and start exploiting our youth before its too late...

I think that the shankaroon youth is exploited in ways that you can't imagine by the secessionist mafia who have hijacked them for their narrowminded goals. The youth that you speak of are the ones that are held hostage by the Riyaale regime.........but hey, maybe it is better this way because those that lack the sense to understand deserve to be exploited.

Dear YOU

I think the word narrowminded best describes those who can not discuss a single topic objectivly without turing all topics to the same retarted "indepedance, union" discussion...

its 20 years now, get over it!

me   

Shankarooni,

This thread is not about the union now. No one wants that old union back we are all renegotiating now and at the end of this process hopefully we will have a better, stronger and prosperous Somali Republic....but that’s not the point I am making today.

The point that I am making is that the saying the devil and the deep blue sea best describes your position.

You (shankaroon youth) have been maneuvered into a position that you are forced to defend Riyaale and his clique. You can not think critically without being labeled a renegade.

The only thing that makes Shankaroon unique in todays Somalia is that it is stuck……because like you said the Youth of Shankaroon is either in a marfash or at a pre-18 May party instead of asking the right questions about where their true interest lie, they are being lulled into sleep by the secessionist mafia and their foreign handlers.

Do you think if foreign companies invest in today’s Shankaroon that the average Joe will see any benefits of it ? If you think that…….then think again……because that’s when the real drama starts.

Welcome to the real world Shankarooni where Riyaale and his buddies will be the mega rich guys of tomorrow while Faarax Shankarooni and Cilmi Shankarooni discuss Camel herder politics in the marfash.

It is all about the money. The Baradash, the Farenji, the Carab and the Riyaale are in it for the money. There is no such thing as Somaliland only a get quick scheme thought up by few guys that want to make a buck or two. No one cares for the youth you speak of.

Dear MR.me

I will continue the debate as long as u promise its not about Independence vs union ;)

Ok...

The whole thing you mentioned is what we (Kulmiye, QARAN & UCID) has been saying the last years...try to be original and come up with a new argument about the problems in somaliland.

We blame the government & their personal directly with names when there is elections a conflict or such...but generally we either criticize a policy or encourage one without mentioning names, ie objectively...

So, the Objective Q is : what would u do if u r in the place of riyaale smile.gif

me   

Kulmiye, Qaran, Ucid are just covers for clans.

But let's assume they are not for the sake of this little talk we are having here.

What have these groups suggested other then the same old ...we need recognition chanting?

Does recognition build roads? does recognition create jobs?

What have Riyaale's clique and the so called opposition done other then in ay ku qayilaan lacagta Ingiriisku siiyo Shankaroon?

How can you Shankaroon folks ever develop if you can not question your believes?

18 May is around the corner and it will mark another lost year for those lulled into sleep.

Maybe Shankaroon should adopt a lullaby for their anthem.

Kulmiye, Qaran, Ucid are just covers for clans.

But let's assume they are not for the sake of this little talk we are having here.

If you notice, these two lines above served nothing! You just made your post less cohesive & more irritating...

1st:

it is not a good practice in a debate to START with a naked claim and then directly say: lets not talk about it! what is the point?!

2nd:

Our topic was criticizing UDUB gov not personal with much originality and not copy/pasting from the opposition parties.Our topic is not who is more involved in Qabiil among somaliland parties.

3rd

Ucid, Kulmiye and Qaran and all have different views on qabiil...putting them in one basket is a sign for a lazy political analysis that does not want to win the ultimate truth but rather looks for what goes on in their minds with an earlier personal opinion

What have Riyaale's clique and the so called opposition done other then in ay ku qayilaan lacagta Ingiriisku siiyo Shankaroon?

Again..a naked claim...where is your prove that the opposition shares money with riyaale when they are this close to declare war on him? I started to feel my first days here in SOL is not as hot as I thought it would be. & I don't know what is the culture here in SOL. But I think there is big difference between honest dialog and the Maqaaxi talk where everyone says what sees his daydeams for the seek of winning an argument even with naked lies which have never been said be4 ever!

How can you Shankaroon folks ever develop if you can not question your believes?

What you meaaaaan?

Are you talking about (Union,Independence)??

AGAIN!!!

I can not believe you!

Look, I have a very good answer to your Q, but you promised not to talk about(Union,Independence) & my time is more important that repeating that topic again...so I hope u find someone who has the time for this

Remember you said:

This thread is not about the union now.

Now Back to my Q ( which much much related to the thread):

So, the Objective Q is : what would u do if u r in the place of riyaale

You failed to even try to answer that Q...

Instead you talked bout (AGAIN) the same point which you promised not to talk about (Union,Independence):

What have these groups suggested other then the same old ...we need
recognition
chanting?

Does
recognition
build roads? does recognition create jobs?

18 May
is around the corner and it will mark another lost year for those lulled into sleep.

Maybe Shankaroon should adopt a
lullaby for their anthem

So lets see what we have:

- You didn't answer my Q

- You made a naked irrelevant claim on political party without any detail on their different approaches to qabiil

- You could't keep you promise not to talk about(Union,Independence) but about 60% of your last reply was about it.

After all above, I can say I am less interested in your thread right now...and all I left to say is what Imaam Al shaafici said: {after Sunset!}