Sign in to follow this  
Kafka on the Shore

Home Education for the Youth

Peace be upon you all, and the Mercy of Allah SWT,

I am hoping that you can help me on this inshaa Allaah. I have a younger brother who is approaching the age of 5, and I want to start him on sound and structured Islamic education (because I live pretty far from any competent Islamic centre). So what books/websites do you brother and sister recommend that I visit/purchase that is specifically designed for this age-group? I'm looking for book(s) that are easy to follow that can be easily taught to kids of this age group. Your help is much appreciated inshaa Allaah.

Assalaamu calaykum

Asalaam aleykum brother,

Mashallah for the effort your making.While growing up I used to read books written by the islamic foundation they had story books which targeted the Islamic character and also stories on important Muslim figures.And they have the books classified according to their age group.

I beleive now they have more to offer to children. the link online bookstore

Hope it will be of help, there are also cassettes made specially for children to learn duas by heart I think you can find it your local muslim bookstore. And also books and audio material for his quraanic needs.

I beleive uve also got to teach him prayers and slowly accompany you to the mosque.If he hasnt done that already.

Soundvision has some nice courses they offer children you could take a lot of the programs and the subject matter taught according to their ages.

Fiamanillah

Blessed   

Salaams and Mansha Allah...

I agree with WoL, www.soundvision.com is a nice web resource for Muslim teens. There's also a section for parents / teachers on Islamic education which might be useful for you.

As for my recommendations;

The Islamic Studies Series by Abu Ameenah Bilaal Philips is a good starting point.

Bilaal Philips Website

I'd also recommend Sheikh Anwar Awlakis' lectures on the Biographies of the Prophets (as) and the Sahaabas.

Anyway, a general rule with teens is to appeal to their interests. Say, if your bother is into history / geography looking at Muslim inventors, empires etc. is a good way of exploring Islamic identity etc...

Hope that helps..