Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Puntland falters but still strong in its isolation

NASSIR   

A big Opprtunity lost with the Selection of Faroole. I like to convey some crucial points with due diligence on the extensity of the long-term impact the outcome might or might not have on the political and social relations within the clans which formerly united to form this entity- born out of the crisis of Somalia.

I know many of our brethrens like Duke and others are upset with the outcome - which has involved lots of external interferance, bribery and pledges paid to the Commission, and the entrenched disadvatage of the voting system over the people of Sool and Sanag, I congratulate Farole.

First as a consequence of this evolution Puntland is yet a maamul goboleed hoose subscribing to the unproven assumptions of the building bloc system, but we were were convinced that the Gen. could engineer a transformative era that would have inspired the whole nation and would have braught many disillusioned quarters of Somalis closer to an enduring solidarity.

We were also convinced that the quality of leadership Gen. Abdulahi Ilka-jir has in transcending across clan borders, education and his credentials in the now defunct Somali National Defence would be an opportune time for the region and its people. With him as a president, Somalis in Puntland would be in a position to stave off the widespread insecurity , piracy and other challenges ahead.

One corrupt leader after another, it appears the masses have been held hostage by the so called elites and they are not to blame, in fact. However, the region that the Gen hails has accumulated a high risk premium for the so called elites in its political orientation and have paid a huge price for as far as development and other services go. I wouldn't therefore be surprised if it breaks off political relations with the rest of Puntland and focus on rebuilding its image as has been in the past.

For many, it becomes a quick receptive to the media propoganda that the people of this region fall either for the two entities. That they have no middle ground to adhere to for the interest of Somalia in preserving its national union is a reality. Totally not true!

The modern history of post-conflict Somalia says otherwise. Under UNISOM, the political leaders of Sanaag were placed to run the affairs of their region and had had an administrative jurisdiction, which they still do. But the fact that they were internationally recognized as an independent entities from the tendencies of secessionism advanced by some quarters representing their clan pockets from the North West.

Charges that the Sanag region would flock to the other side of the camp is patently false, meaningless and quite abusive to the clean records of the people of this region- the heart and symbolic founders of the Somali Nation.

Again good luck with our brothers in Puntland.

- Cell

nuune   

Charges that the Sanag region would flock to the other side of the camp is patently false, meaningless and quite abusive to the clean records of the people of this region- the heart and symbolic founders of the Somali Nation.

Hadey dhankan wax anfaca ama dantooda ka waayaan(or jago), soo iney dhanka kale u yaacaan ma ahan, yaa ka hor taagan!!

NGONGE   

^^ Don't you pay any attention to SOL discussions, nuune? Dee clan association ba ka hor taagan. :D

(With the Somaliweyn dream following closely behind).

nuune   

Ngonge, lool, waan la socdaa that demon of qabiil inuu ka hor taaganyahay, balse hadey dhankaa iyo Somaliland quud u raadsadaan, soo iyaga iyo ayaankood ma ahan, hadhowna waa laga daba qeylin.

PS: I avoid to make any qabiil connections with my posts

NGONGE   

^^ Qabiil is EVERYTHING and nothing, saaxib. Why else would 'reerkaaa' moan about the choice for president? The Kulmiye fans in Somaliland would make the same complaint if Riyaale wins again. Qabiil MATTERS and does not matter. It plays a part and does not play a part. Qabiil can never be ignored, saaxib.

Very interesting outcome.

Seems to me PL’s clannish power sharing arrangement is hard to break. What was Faroole’s appeal? He spoke the language of corruption.

With that said, what has transpired in the last hours does not in any way suggest unfairness. Politics is dirty game. And Faroole, it seems, is good at it. So are the folks from SOOL and part of Sanaag. If nothing else, they should’ve denied him the presidency for clannish reasons to restore some political credibility for this failing state. This is the second time they have disappointed.

I can’t in all honesty congratulate this man.

Does anyone know the relationship between the new man and Ethiopia? Any history?

Xiin,

How are we going to please anyone if everyone complains about the selection/election or whatever it is called? I believe change will come from the people when they wake up and i hope its sooner than later.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

If nothing else, they should’ve denied him the presidency for clannish reasons to restore some political credibility for this failing state.

A sad day for Puntland - regardless of the diatribes of its sons and daughters on this Forum, the political elite there can always be counted on to stumble in their strategy. The old clan domination game of the '60s has been understood by all Somali clans and only those who offer something to the smallest of constituencies within their midst come out winners in the end.

This will only further strengthen Somaliland's push to wean the border clans from their old clan allegiances with their cousins across the border.

The game is only getting more interesting - at least for one side!

True say ya Santaaro.

I too hope change comes sooner than later. Interesting to watch the political ramifications of today's outcome. Four years is not that far away. Faroole could be replaced then if better candidates come forward. Better yet,Somalia could get better and become far more stable than it's today.

Jamster   

It was foolish for many to presume that Ilkajir would become the first man though he can is supremely better than the governor-elect in his genes the blood of MS does follow through.

For likes of him to ever have a chance at the helm, Puntland's to be reconstituted as the composition of the parliament severely disadvantages his group. We need a revolution or sida Somaliland Baqtisuga ahaada--- I am told Faroole is not terribly healthy man smile.gif

ElPunto   

If the SOL elites - presumably educated and worldly - are disappointed about the clan this man hails from rather than his character, agenda or skills - what hope can there possibly be for Somalia?

I could care less if the entire Puntland government or whatever regional government was dominated by X olan or one of the 'triangle' - let them fill all the posts - I don't care - provided they have good character, a progressive agenda and the necessary skills to move the region forward.

My assessment of this man is that he is an old guard corrupt politician who will not change the situation for the better. I could be wrong. If only the criticisms of him were made on that basis rather than he is another of the supposed 'xukun jaceyl' clan etc.

Baashi   

Congrats! The man won this post fair and square.

I hope he is in a position to take on the pirate groups in Eyl.

As to Caamir awoowe remember this is politics and as such the practice rewards those who are cunning in their dealings. Intrigue and calculation is what makes political contests an interesting power play. If what happened in Garoowe happen in New York the headlines would've read "Stunning Upset". Your General was the fav politician. All eyes were on him. Reps in the parliament were open to persuasion and *cough* tips *cough* as well! Yet Faroole's intrigue and calculation gave him an advantage. Remember he won against Nuradin and Cadde -- the incumbent -- too.

Looks like you were expecting sympathy and self-reflection among reps where they ponder on the fact that past occupants in the position hailed from the same subclan and hence your General deserved to be elected on that basis. Awoowe it does not work that way. Dispensing money and promises of administrative position do the trick. That's how the corrupt and underdog Faroole stole the biscuit.

Paragon   

But you have to acknowledge the mastery at which Mr. Faroole has rubbished popular demand. The fellow has done good for himself, and now I guess he'll hook up with Range Resources, his former financial enemies. Who knows, perhaps the man would be more diplomatic in dealing with reer Maakhir with regards to exploration, more than Cade :D .

Waxbaa jira lol.

PS: It was a dream to hope Nuradiin would get a chance. It wasn't meant to be. :(