Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

does Islam permit suicide attacks??

i ran into so i wanned to share! plz, no opinions do the right think and research your ans!! no dhugsey standard replies!

OSLO, Norway (AP) - A leader of one of Norway's most respected Islamic groups defended the use of suicide bombings in certain cases and stirred a debate Wednesday in this Nordic country that sees itself as a beacon of peace and nonviolence.

Reaction was so strong that the foreign minister took the rare step of condemning the statement.

On the discussion boards of the Islamic Association of Norway's Web site, a reader asked whether Islam permitted suicide attacks. The answer - that it sometimes does - sparked concern and incredulousness.

In his reply, Basim Ghozlan, one of the association's leaders, said that suicide is generally forbidden by Islam, but he added that if it is done during war and is the only option, then it could be done.

"If the war is legal, ... from an Islamic perspective, and if one has no other way of hitting the enemy by other than sacrificing their own life, then it is allowed," he wrote in a Sept. 16 posting, which was first reported by Norwegian media Wednesday.

He also wrote that suicide attacks should not harm innocent bystanders, singling out the deaths in Iraq of civilians there.

But it was his tacit endorsement of the suicide bombings waged by Palestinians against Israeli settlers and soldiers that drew harsh condemnation. Norway, the home of the Nobel Peace Prize, has been a key player in trying to bring peace to that region.

"What happens in occupied territories, where suicide bombers attack settlers and soldiers, is another matter. It has to be discussed on a case-by-case basis," he wrote.

When reached by telephone, Ghozlan said he stood by his remarks, but added that the reaction was strong because, in part, his remarks were misinterpreted.

"We all agree that innocent people and children must be protected," he told the AP.

As far as attacks on Israeli settlers, Ghozlan said only that "I am not a leader who gives orders. This is only an opinion."

Norway's small Muslim community - less than 1 percent of the country's 4.6 million residents - moved to distance itself from the remarks.

A leading Muslim politician, Ali Khan, said there is no support in Islam's holy book, the Quran, for suicide bombings.

"The Quran, among other things, says that to kill one person is to kill all of humanity," he told the Norwegian news agency NTB.

Foreign Minister Jan Petersen deplored Ghozlan's statement, which he said "portrays suicide bombings as a legitimate means of dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian issue."

He reiterated the Norwegian stance that the conflict, now in its fourth year, can be settled only through diplomacy and through the secretly negotiated Oslo Agreement peace accord in 1993, which is in tatters.

"I presume that the vast majority of Muslims in Norway, even those who are critical of Israel, deplore Mr. Ghozlan's statements," Petersen said.

Suicide= haram

Killing civilians= haram

Suicide bombings kill the person with carrying the bomb and civilians. Therefore, suicide bombings are haram.

Sounds simple doesn't it.

i dont think that it is Islam that drives people to commit suicide bombings...its a situation that they cant handle.

palestinians are a different story, we can never comprehand or even try to sympathies with them, we dont know the first thing they go through...

its easy for us to sit here, and condemm them committing suicide and bombing isrealis, but when there innocent babies are killed,,,,its an eye for an eye, 'they killed our babies, so we kill theirs.

im not applauding them, im just saying we cant be judge and jury of them. what they do is between them and Allah.. and Allah knows best..

did exactly what rudy asked me not to do,,, **secretly hoping he pissed off***

OG_Girl   

No,things not that easy at all. First and for most Islam came from word Salam which means Peace . Islam against any kind of violent having say that doesn't mean Muslim sit there and let others come to their house kill their relatives and call it is their own houses!!.

Is just commen sense to defend what belongs to you.

In Palastine, Iraq, Chechnia, Kashmer and many many Muslim lands...others killing us like insects ...So my friend before you ask what Islam says about suicide attacks?? You should ask what Islam says about These who watching -behind their TV- helpless kids, woman, men dying in their beds from Israelian and American Made Bombs? .

This is a tricky Question and you want "Yes or " No" Answer..I am sorry there is NO white or Black only there is other colours and they are there what ever you like it or no , and some people like them more than Black and White.

Ok, Suicide bombing is wrong, but you have to look at why they are doing this. They have nothing left to live for: they have NO homes, No money, their families have been killed, so all they can do is to bomb using their body and kill others ,they are going up against the 4th largest army in the world "Israel". So when you ask us to condemn suicide bombers, we say Ok, but do you condemn what the Israeli army has been doing for 50 years with an American weapons with Blessing. It has to go both ways.

Anyhow you can argue BUT I asure you there wont be peace and every one wont sleep peacefully while others dying in their houses Iraq, Plastine , Afganistan..?

Here one of millions Fatwas about that Issue but believe me these victims out there wont buy it cause simply these Sheikhs who making Fatwas while they sitting in their comfortable houses , their stomach full.... don't know how these people feel.!!

"Sheikh Mohammed Sayed Tantawi of the Al-Azhar mosque of Cairo - which is highest authority in Sunni Islam – said :goups which carried out suicide bombings were the enemies of Islam. "

"Extremism is the enemy of Islam. Whereas, jihad is allowed in Islam to defend one's land, to help the oppressed. The difference between jihad in Islam and extremism is like the earth and the sky," Sheikh Tantawi said. "

"Sheikh Tantawi said Muslim suicide attacks, including those against Israelis, were wrong and could not be justified "

Sorry, I couldn't help.... I got emotional cause I know how these people are specially in Iraq... my uncle works with UN there ... people are sufferent from these Amarican Morons..people just see one side of the story.

Salam

OG-Girl,

Suicide bombings don't solve anything. If anything, they worsen their condition. I'm sorry, I support these countries that are fighting for theirs, but I can not and will not support anything that is OBVIOUSLY that haram. Besides, I don't see how a young man strapped with bombings blowing up buses filled with civilians and kids really solves anything???

Edited to add:

This is what suicide bombs does to people:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20040930/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_040930141903

OG_Girl   

DA,they are not waitting our permision dear.

Whatever you support or not they will do. I know you can't imagine , a lot of people including Bush can't imagine but they doing it.

Yeah , Don't solve problems in your point of view But Bush thinks invating Iraq and killing thousand and thousand of civilians will stop terrorists...but increased.

Tickiling problems wont make it disapear...I can't be Neutral . People who dying are my people as American soldiers are Americans I understand they have families so do I.

My blood is not water and theirs is blood.

What you suggest? peace talk? we doing side while israelian keep killing us and we do same.

When they call for Peace Muslims are first to obey .

In Short, they don't want support, you and I are doing nothing for them .

Salam

OG_Girl   

Not the key at all as using power to remove Saddam wasn't key..see both side.

Is sad indeed very sad.

What we doing to stop? simply America should leave Iraq for Iraqs.

Whenever there is occupation, there will be resistance.We can do nothing about it.We can't ask victim to sit cause in eitherway he knows he will be killed .

I can't understand how some one stays house when owner of the house doesn't want you.. How shamefull!!

Edit: every story there is 2 sides you just showing American side... I have picture and Israel and America doing it daily.

Salam

OG_Girl   

Supporting what so called War on Terrorist In Iraq, Palastinian, Afganistan..so many other muslim places while it is occupied will be seen as siding with the US and Israel therefore makes no sense.

You presenting western point of view , mine is Arab point of view.

Have you ever heard massacres they did to us in

sabra o shatila, qana, *** yasin?

cause their media doesn't show!!!

Salam

^ OG,

I could've sworn I was presenting an Islamic point of view.

Again, who is talking about the war on terrorism? U.S.? Israel?

I know what side I am on, and I would appreciate if you didnt make it seem like I was pro-Israel when all I stated was:

Suicide =haram

Killing Civilians = haram

and if you're going to disprove me, then I would like to you to disproof the above!

OG_Girl   

Sister, I would feel much better if I was like you and just eccept simplizing thing like you did.

things not as simple as 2+2=4

However, I don't like make every thing Islamicly point of view cause I think most can be like that and do same thing whether with a religious belief or no religious belief, everyone is different, their own understanding isn NOT just purely based on Islam but on many things, were all humans, what we understand to be right or Haram is not necessarily how it will be understood by someone else with same belief.If that case we wouldn't have defferent sects..We all should Muslims without nametags like I am Shia and another Sunna ..etc.

That is NOT the case.

If you want a lot of copy and paste Aricals I think others will DO the job specially brother Salafi and Rahima...I will leave that job for them smile.gif .

My last comment about this topic :

every one knows that America invasion of Iraq would create more terrorism…BUT also I don’t support Bush....If you want tell what is right and wrong you should tell about both sidesinstead pointing finger to one side cause you media tells you.

Have a good night.

Edit: there is millions of Fatwas about Women

driving car is Haram and they have a lot of proveswith their understand of what is Halal and Haram... I think i am biggest sinner on that ....lol

Salam

If you want a lot of copy and paste Aricals I think others will DO the job specially brother Salafi and Rahima...I will leave that job for them

for God's sake Sister, Defend your personal belief and judgments that is not founded on proof or certainty, Do not perceptibly incline on retreating through diversions!

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

While debating this, one of us could be dead this moment. Alas to dust we return, some will rejoice, whilst others will cry with agony. Suicide or not, death comes in many forms.

P.S. Our comments are no good to those that are suffering, rather lets just make dua for them.