Sign in to follow this  
Cilmi

To: Southners....Somaliland people had overwhelmly voted 97% to statehood.

Cilmi   

Somaliland at present enjoys peace and stability that is rare in the region if not in sub-Saharan Africa. This peace and stability has been the product of the tremendous efforts of the Somaliland people to rebuild their war-torn country using a combination of traditional Somali method of conflict resolution and modern governance.

With the adoption and overwhelming approval of a constitution; the formation of political parties,such as KULMIYE (solidarity party), UDUB (unity party), UCID (Justice and Walfare party); the establishment of an independent Electoral Commission and the secussful of holding local and national elections, most of the basic conditions for the creation of a democratic society have been met.

1n 1887 Somaliland Clan elders and representatives of the British Government ratified treaties creating the British Protectorate of Somaliland. During the period between 1947 and 1950, the British allowed limited local government.

Somaliland gained independence on June 26th, 1960 and joined the ill-fated union with the Italian Trusteeship Somalia on July 1, 1960, to form the Somali Republic. After official unification with Somalia a new provisional constitution was adopted with a parliamentary system of government, comprised of non-executive President elected by the parliament who then nominated a prime minister. The prime minister appointed a cabinet from leading parliamentary party, subject to the approval of the President and the parliament. A third organ of the state was the judiciary, with five Supreme Court judges appointed by the President.

The new government was immediately confronted with the major challenge of consolidating the unification, through administrative integration and the harmonization of the socio-economic development of the tow different regions with their dual colonial heritage. This included different British and Italian systems of education, administration, security services, pay rates and legal systems. There were no agreed power sharing arrangements to facilitate amalgamation of the two states. :eek: Huge differences appeared hence cracks of unity, but since the President was from the Italian somalia, the ex-British Somalilander's were marginalised, thus creating huge misgivinigs.

This political discontent felt by the ex-British Somalilander's found expression in June 20th, 1961 when the majority of the its people voted against a unitary constitution. This was soon followed by a failed coup attempt by a group of disgruntled officers from ex-British Somaliland in December the same year.

The formation of the SNM (Somali National Movement) was a direct manifestation of the second-class citizenship statues of the Somalilanders. The SNM declared war on the government. In response to the SNM uprising, the military regime of the time launched both a military and economic war against the citizens of Somaliland. As the situation deteriorated, marital law and a dusk to dawn curfew were imposed on Hargeisa, Burco, and Erigavo . Civilians suspected of supporting the SNM were subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention, torture and summary execution.

Following the defeat of Siyad Barre forces in January 1991, the first task of SNM leadership was to seek peace and reconciliation between Somaliland clans. Between 15-27 February 1991; the SNM convened the first of several peace conferences under the banner of " Conference to re-establish the Brotherly relation among Somaliland Clans". A large conference of prominent clan elders and leaders was convened in Burao city between 27 April and 18 May 1991 known as the " Grand conference of the Northern clans". After extensive consultation lasting two months, the elders and the SNM approved the following:

· The withdrawal of Somaliland from the 1960 union, and restoration of its sovereignty.

· The declaration of the Republic of Somaliland

· The continuation of the peace building process.

The independence of the Republic of Somaliland and the formation of a transitional SNM administration to govern the country for two-year period was officially announced on 18 May, 1991. The incumbent SNM chairman became the first President of the Republic. The development that led to the present political state are summarized as follows:

a) The first cabinet was formed at the end of May 1991.

b) Within a year the nascent administration faced a serious security problem due to lack of a resources base to demobilize and reintegrate 73,000 ex-combatants and armed clan militiamen.

c) The 1993 Boroma conference, which is often described as the watershed of peacemaking and political development in Somaliland; was convened. After five months of serious deliberations, the following were achieved:

· A national Charter for Somaliland was adopted which served as a working constitution from 1993 to 1997.

· A peace charter for the Somaliland clans was adopted which laid down provisions for peace agreements to be mediated by the GUURT (a committee of Wise man)), and set out methods and procedures for conflict resolutions.

· A president and a Vice President were elected.

· A parliament consisting of 150 voting delegates of the conference was formed. The government got into business by organizing itself and establishing national legitimacy. All these were a response to the decision of the people to follow an independent path to self-government.

· The Hargeisa clan conference, which continued from October 1996 to February 1997, signaled the formal conclusion of the minor civil war in 1995/96 war.

· The incumbent president and the parliament were re-instated in the Hargeisa conference. The parliament was increased to comprise of 82 members for the House of Representative and 82 for the House of Elders (GUURTI) for a period of five years and six years respectively.

· On May 31, 2001, Somaliland provisional constitution was approved by 97% of the vote through a general referendum, superseding the national charter agreed to in Boroma in 1993, and signaling the transition from clan system to a multiparty system of government.

. On 6 August 2002, the parliament passed the political parties Law No 14 which legalized the formation of 6 political parties to date.

. On November 14, 2001 the electoral law was passed by the parliament establishing the legal basis for appointment of seven member Electoral Commission.

. Between March and June 2002, the citizenship law; regional and district administration and council law, and demarcation of district electoral constituencies were passed.

This paved the way for the local government elections held end of oct 2002, and the presidential and parliamentary election held in Arpil 2003.

I hope this will clarify the situation for you all and perpahs you should all stop judging somaliland. Get facts before you make any comments with regards to somaliland independence. When would you get those heads that the marriage is offer :D

No return....Good bye to my Fellow Southerners ;)

AYOUB   

I hope this will clarify the situation for you all and perhaps you should stop judging Somaliland.

Brother you are dealing with people who do not believe Somali Republic was a failure,and their biggest dream is for warlords to form a government. Soon you will find out what hypocrisy and envy means.

India   

^^^^^^^^^^Ayoub_Sheik I couldn't agree with you better. Some times I wonder if they are on the same planet as us.

The worrying thing is this is thier "supposedly" literate lot. Disturbing walahi.

Cilmi   

Ayuup,

Oo Meyeynu ka guri,loo joojin maaye... af nooli waa hadlaa eyna waa ciyaa :D

Angle-Dust,

Inaabti Horta indho quruxbadnidaa waa yaabe smile.gif

La'da xarafka laankiyo ba'daan looyar ku ahaaye

Mar hadduu Lillaahida ka baxo waa lisaan jabane.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Cilmi:

Originally posted by Cilmi:

Somaliland gained independence on June 26th, 1960 and joined the ill-fated union with the Italian Trusteeship Somalia on July 1, 1960, to form the Somali Republic. After official unification with Somalia a new provisional constitution was adopted with a parliamentary system of government, comprised of non-executive President elected by the parliament who then nominated a prime minister. The prime minister appointed a cabinet from leading parliamentary party, subject to the approval of the President and the parliament. A third organ of the state was the judiciary, with five Supreme Court judges appointed by the President.

The new government was immediately confronted with the major challenge of consolidating the unification, through administrative integration and the harmonization of the socio-economic development of the tow different regions with their dual colonial heritage. This included different British and Italian systems of education, administration, security services, pay rates and legal systems. There were no agreed power sharing arrangements to facilitate amalgamation of the two states. :eek: Huge differences appeared hence cracks of unity, but since the President was from the Italian somalia, the ex-British Somalilander's were marginalised, thus creating huge misgivinigs.

This political discontent felt by the ex-British Somalilander's found expression in June 20th, 1961 when the majority of the its people voted against a unitary constitution. This was soon followed by a failed coup attempt by a group of disgruntled officers from ex-British Somaliland in December the same year.

Well done. It doesn't hurt to look the other side of the coin. Here is quote from Somalia country profile by the US library of congress. Don't u shed crocodile tears of being hated because of the progress and stability. We commend that and hope others to follow suit. This is a refutation. One that is based on facts. It spells out why ex-somaliland officers were unhappy.

[0B]The two decades between 1900 and 1920 were a period of colonial consolidation. However, of the colonial powers that had divided the Somalis, only Italy developed a comprehensive administrative plan for its colony. The Italians intended to plant a colony of settlers and commercial entrepreneurs in the region between the Shabeelle and Jubba rivers in southern Somalia. The motivation was threefold: to "relieve population pressure at home," to offer the "civilizing Roman mission" to the Somalis, and to increase Italian prestige through overseas colonization. Initiated by Governor Carletti (1906-10), Italy's colonial program received further impetus by the introduction of fascist ideology and economic planning in the 1920s, particularly during the administration of Governor Cesare Maria de Vecchi de Val Cismon. Large-scale development projects were launched, including a system of plantations on which citrus fruits, primarily bananas, and sugarcane, were grown. Sugarcane fields in Giohar and numerous banana plantations around the town of Jannaale on the Shabeelle River, and at the southern mouth of the Jubba River near Chisimayu, helped transform southern Somalia's economy.

In contrast to the Italian colony, British Somaliland stayed a neglected backwater. Daunted by the diversion of substantial development funds to the suppression of the dervish insurrection and by the "wild" character of the anarchic Somali pastoralists, Britain used its colony as little more than a supplier of meat products to Aden. This policy had a tragic effect on the future unity and stability of independent Somalia. When the two former colonies merged to form the Somali Republic in 1960, the north lagged far behind the south in economic infrastructure and skilled labor. As a result, southerners gradually came to dominate the new state's economic and political life--a hegemony that bred a sense of betrayal and bitterness among northerners.[/OB]

BTW Italy literally enslaved Somalis in the river valleys. European powers intended to exploit us...they did and finally we struggled and won our freedom. That is the end of it period.

Don't justify your cause with a premise upon which is based on colonial nostalgia or as you put it ‘heritage’. Tell us something other than colonial legacy and the grievances we all have the government and the leadership that we got rid off long time ago (u r not blaming the victims of that regime! Are u?). Self-determination is better arsenal to justify secession but again that will open the door for the Hausa and Fullani of Nigeria; Oromia of Ethiopia (not to mention the Kurds in Turkey, Iran, and more importantly Iraq); and a host of other ethnic groups in Africa. No African country dares to even contemplate such a preposition. It is just not politically feasible. South Africa and Rwanda are not talking about division and separation of racial and ethnic groups despite what they went through. You know why? Because the facts on the ground have changed and they moved on.

Bro if we are going to look back what went wrong we can start zeroing in the effect of Tribalism, nepotism, and flawed system.

Ayoub, There is difference between USA and Clinton administration. Likewise there is difference between Somalia Republic and M. S. Barre regime. While we all believe Barre regime was a disgrace, we still think Somalia republic as a nation is not at fault but as a victim of bad leadership.

India   

LOL@@Cilmi From CERIGABO

What do you expect am after all from Yufle!! LOL

Ceerigab: a beautiful town with equally beautiful people .

Gediid   

Baashi said

When the two former colonies merged to form the Somali Republic in 1960, the north lagged far behind the south in economic infrastructure and skilled labor. As a result, southerners gradually came to dominate the new state's economic and political life--a hegemony that bred a sense of betrayal and bitterness among northerners.

This issue waxaad ka soo wareysadaa odayshaa reer Koonfureed ee maalintaas joogey.I am 100% sure they will tell you a different, more realistic story.

Siman   

Well said Baashi, I couldn't agreed with U more.

I don't consider myself Norther or Souther for that matter, but I notice here the the pro "Somaliland" folks don't have a rational argument..........

India   

Siman

As they say "look b4 you leap". For you to consider our argunents rationality is you to have followed our debates throughly, you simply agreeing with Baashi does not make us irrational.

Baashi, wrote that we lacked behind...what a joke. And yet Siman,you write our arguments are irrational????? I am confused :confused:

Baashi, repeat yourself. We lacked behind??? I am starting to question the worthness of this debate with you. Frankly, your lies and fabrications are out of this world.

It is all good tho----I recently overheard two boys argue over Somaliland/Somalia? The Somalilander was trying to get his friend to understand that he was going to Somaliland, the friend claimed there was no such place! Angered the Somalilander asked what do you mean? The Somali being silly as the norm replied: I dont know where Somaliland is, where is that? The Somalilander kept cool and replied : You know where Somaliland is -ABOVE-Somalia (raising one arm up to indicate). I just thought to myself in every sense of the word. Baashi that has always been the case, and your little tell tales will not dent our destiny nor our history.

Peace

Dusty.

Aussie   

[

· On May 31, 2001, Somaliland provisional constitution was approved by 97% of the vote through a general referendum,

Cilmi

brother i myself have nothing against somaliland and its bid for independence, and it doesn't really matter what anybody thinks if 97% of it's people want referendum, i believe that's whats gonna happen sooner or later..

but if you are talking about the somaliland that's shown in your Avatar, and you think 97% is correct figure,

then dude you're the one from different planet

Guto   

DEAR Angel-Dust,

I don't know what the extend of the problems is but U seem to be in state of chronically being victimized. Hurting inside so much would prevent human being from being logic and thoughful. I would suggest U to deal with your personal disturbances/traumas else where as (unfortunately) SOL don't provide that type of service.

Gabbal   

Angel_Dust (aka Samy Gyrl) no matter how much you change your nick you're still one and the same.

Pro-secessionists in this debate tried to discredit Baashi's post by saying he wrote that piece about the north lagging behind, when he merely reposted it from the Library of Congress.

Besides is it me or are the "pros" always the rude debaters in here who always resort to name callings and insults and such :confused:

Aussie   
Originally posted by HornAfrique:

[QB] Angel_Dust (aka Samy Gyrl) no matter how much you change your nick you're still one and the same.

Horn

walaahi thats what i was thinking

this person she/he whatever its has big issues..

its sad

Horn

walaahi thats what i was thinking

this person she/he whatever its has big issues.. its sad

lol well spoted gents i must admit her more moderate overtone did decive me.

Cilmi   

Somaliweyn proponents never fail to amaze me, though the Somalis political and social landscape has been undergoing tremendous change. Beside stale pronouncement and emotional plea for a rosy yesterday that never was.

Somaliland regained its sovereignty through the barrel of the gun and legitimized it by the power of the ballot. Forget about the fact, that Somaliland and its peoples are enjoying implausible peace, and prosperity.

I shall once again empathise , the need to transform all of your negative energies to positive, and invest in your country Somalia, somaliland is certainly here to stay.

Bashi,

who are lagging behind now? ;)

Bashow..Nin is faanshey waa ri is nuugtey...!

Angle-dust,

Yufle waa duleedkee, dagaar baa beri anoo yar la i lugeysiisyey. smile.gif Well, done it seems you are trushing the Southerners in thier own forum, now they are resorting to name calling and accusations , iyo shalaanu wacneyn iyo huuu haadii lagu yiqiin :D

Waxba yaanu xeerkay i marin xoolona i siine

Xaashee nin libin kaa xistiyey xumihi waa yaabe