Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

So Lucky to be a muslim

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

For me it became quite apparent that when you examine other religions of the world, you truely discover how lucky you are to be a muslim.

As we all know that the quran has given plenty of rights to women, but not every muslim knows that. I was talking with these somali guys one time, and then the subject turned to the 'role' of females in society.One of the guys blurts out that men are superior to woman, and that it is PROVEN that they are smarter than them. I thought it was a joke, but a second look at the guy indicated that this man was dead serious. Of course, I had to break it down to him, that even though men and women have different roles, they are still the same in the eyes of Allah.His rebuttal was that back in Somalia when a guy died his family got 150 lax, and for a girl it would only be 50(huh? :confused: )Obviously there is a lot of untapped ignorance floating around about religion, alot of it is a mix of culture and supersitions. Anyways, as I was saying in Hinduism, the man is literally the symbol of a godly figure. If a women is widowed she must cut off her hair, wear a white indian outfit, never eat meat, and never re-marry. The guy on the other hand doesn't do any of these things. Also the girl has to pay the money for the wedding, even if it is a burden on her. If she doesn't she gets murdered by her in-laws, in what is known as 'kitchen murder', and it means she gets burned while in the kitchen to make it look like an accident(Indian kitchens don't have windows). The prophet Muhammad(saw) said: 'the best of you(men) is he who treats his wife and woman kindly.'

Islam permitts us to enjoy worldly life, while still working for our afterlife. It doesn't order us to be a hermit, and live an extremely acetic life. We don't have to meditate day and night while holding our breath till we get pounding headaches. We can eat! As normal as it seems to us, some don't agree. In Buddhism, monks can't get married, they totally give up worldly life and lock themselves in lonely sanctuaries. They fast for up to 2 days! They deprive themselves of sensuality,contentment, and go through tremendous thirst and hunger, and why might you ask, because they want to find NIRVANA(extreme, undescribable happiness). Why go through torture to gain happiness? Alhamdullilah for Allah making us Muslims, and may Allah guide them.

For western religions like Christianity they have whats called a middle man who asks God to forgive so and so. In Islam, we can get direct link to God(without a connection fee)5 times a day. Why would a man dressed in robes be more special than me? He looks like another human, did God chose him? I didn't think so. In Islam God orders both the men and women to dress modestly so that we may be recognized as muslims, and not bothered. Non-muslim women especially those in the west on the surface do look like they have a lot of rights, but why does society expect them to show off their sexuality in order to earn respect. Not all of them dress like hoochie mamas but it is expected of them to do that. The surprising thing is that all the famous clothing are mostly designed by males, who design it in a way that is appealing to men. Then I find it very hypocritical that they only act god fearing on Sundays, and do whatever they might(even forbidden things) because as long as they believe Jesus is their saviour, its all good.

I am not trying to belittle anyones beliefs, I am only mentioning what I know for that particular belief. I just wanted to mention as we already know that we are lucky to have accepted Islam, and may god guide us to continue to practice it to the fullest. Amiin.

Jaabir   
Sister Modesty.... thank you for the touching article...... and indeed we are lucky to be muslims, we just dont seem realize that though... May Allah strengthen our faith... amen..

u r comparing apples to oranges with your religion analysis! as far as equal rights, just like anything else in this world its the written in holly or semi-holly books! but folks like u and me dont enjoy the benefits of it! check

all our muslim brethrens socities lives!

do u know that in saudia arabia its illegal for a women to drive a car! let alone have saying in their socity! do u know that u need a visa to go the haj! however, the koran dont say that! so basically all modern religions became a tool to oppress folks which is way out of line with the pure written word!

so i am not surprised when u hear malise getting confused between tradition n religion.

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Rudy, if muslim slaves in the Americas could practice Islam down to the letter, I think nothing is going to stop us too, anywhere in the world.

In Saudia Arabia its been proven that its the best place in the world to be a mother. Why would anyone be bothered with being chauferred everywhere? They enjoy the luxury of staying at home, while their men work for them...WHo doesn't like to be spoiled? I might not agree with some principles the Saudi Family uses, but thats politics, and most of those principles don't relate to Islam. A saudi women was being interviewed by a western woman reporter, and as always in an attempt to make her feel inferior asked her if it bothered her that she couldn't look for a job like a waiteress. The Saudi women laughed and responded with:'I have maids working for me, why would I want to get a waiteressing job.'I got to give her a point on that.

" i have maids...! hmm! so u like islam cuz u like

sitting on your ass and maids provided to yah!

ce what happens to nomads when they become refugees! a total mass confusion!

2real   

rudy: we don't "like" islam coz of maids bro. The girl was just giving an example of a twisted point. ya heard?

Originally posted by Modesty:

In Saudia Arabia its been proven that its the best place in the world to be a mother.

can you provide the proof! also, u aint Saudi so this does not apply to nomads!!

Darman! this is a ****** question! dont waste my time with q's like dat:D

asalaamu alaykum,

As we all know Islam came to liberate women and fight the very same social injustices that are rampant in our so called "Muslim" societies. This comes as no surprise, considering how we have repeatedly rejected the authority of Allah. Alhamdulilah today we have excess to vast amount of Islamic material to allow us to distinguish what is Islam and what isn't. For example, we know women not being allowed to drive can not by any means be justified Islamicaly. Anyway let's not get into that whole issue of saudi being Islamic country... that's a whole another topic. Let's just be greatful that Allah has blessed us with the opportunities to learn and understand HIS beautiful deen.

salaam!

Rokko   

Rudy, I saw yo posts earlier advocating for respect among nomads. Was that fake?

I mean, ya don't have to be that rude bro. Disagree but don't loose yo temper na'mean?

JIDAAWY   

Originally posted by rudy:

u r comparing apples to oranges with your religion analysis! as far as equal rights,
just like anything else in this world its the written in holly or semi-holly books!
but folks like u and me dont enjoy the benefits of it! check

Saxib Rudy its irrational to question the divine laws and shari’a allah has bestowed upon us just because the Saudi’s are not practicing them, from your inscrutable reply I sensed (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you think we shouldn’t feel lucky because we are muslim since religions are used by states men to manipulate the minds of their people and keep them in the dark.

So could you please confirm that with me before I proceed ?

Thx once again for the worthwhile contribution Modesty much appreciated.

Indeed what a blessing to have been born into this beautifull deen Islam. When i wake up everyday the first thing i say is Allahumdulilah am awake am healthy and i am a muslim.

Raxmah   

Asalamu alaikum

Modesty a great article, We just have to learn to be thankful for this deen, without islam we are nothing.

Rudy, brother I think you already adapted to the misconception of the nonbeleivers that Islam oppresses women, well it doesn't it sets us free. And again, having maids does not send out a bad image of muslims, if you have the money why not do what ever you please, as long as it does not contradict to the islamic beleifs.

Modesty   

I'm glad you guys enjoyed that! Alhamdullilah again for Islam.

Rudy-Having maids and sitting around doing nothing has nothing to do with islam, I think you should think more critically before you jump to conclusions. I like Islam because it is a religion that promotes action and striving for many causes in order to acheive the best in everything.

Asalaamu Alaykum

Ariadne   

as far as equal rights, just like anything else in this world its the written in holly or semi-holly books! but folks like u and me dont enjoy the benefits of it! check

So are you saying that eqaul rights are denied to only Muslims? Newsflash eqaul rights is next to non existant in this world. Hardships are everywhere (not priviledged to Muslims only as you would like to believe). Hmmm lets see now...

to Live in this world is to live a life of struggle and overcoming obstacles (no matter how big or little). So the best you can do with it is endure it and move on ( there is no use in crying like a baby over your problems we all have them)

do u know that in saudia arabia its illegal for a women to drive a car!

That has nothing to do with religion, it's politics

let alone have saying in their socity!

And thats cultural, not religious

do u know that u need a visa to go the haj! however, the koran dont say that!

You need a a visa to go anywhere. Of course the Quran dosesn't say that it was written almost 2000 years ago. Countries didn't exist then empires did. Countries started putting up borders 50 years ago and since then you needed a visa to travel to any country in the world.

I get the feeling you like complaining about trivial things ...a visa per say how does that fit into a religious scripture that was written millenias ago.

so basically all modern religions became a tool to oppress folks which is way out of line with the pure written word!

To live is to be oppressed...can you tell me in what ways you're free now?

so i am not surprised when u hear malise getting confused between tradition n religion.

It seems to me "Mali's" aren't the confused ones, but you yourself putting Saudi Arabia womens rights laws which is Cultural into Islam thats like mixing chalk and cheese (notice how the comparison was between two different things that have nothing top do with each other) that's what we call a good comparison

as opposed to this

u r comparing apples to oranges with your religion analysis!

apples and oranges share a common ground they are both fruits.