Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Somaliland: Photos and Video

hargeisa13.htm

waxaan aad uuga helay picturka hotel ka laga soo qaaday.

I wonder what this people are selling infron of the hotel. :D

muus cambo leen iyo yaaanyo i didn't know that you could found something like that in hargeysa.

How come all the walls surrounding the houses from Hargeisa to Garowe all have those strange curvy patrons on it? Does it have something to do with British influence on our modern day architecture or merely because there are plenty of rocks? I've seen it in Garowe and I find it quite ugly. It should be one paste like in Mogadishu and Bosaso whom clearly derive their mediterranian style from Italy.

Jilaato_Cambo

Bring it on :D

Actually, I've seen some beautiful pictures from Mogadishu walaahi. They were excellent. Seems like we are bouncing right back.

wiil_duco

I used to think that was a joke, but some people really think it so. FYI: Hargeisa region recieves very good rainfall sxb, and procudes most of its vegies and fruits. In fact, it always ranked in the top 5 largest producers of cereal (sorghum and maize) in ex-Somalia. So, there you have it sxb.

N.O.R.F   

Thanx for the link Suldaanka, brightened up my day.

Nationalist, there is no architectural style in Somaliland, everyone goes with a design they feel appropriate and is also sanctioned by the local planning office.

It should be one paste like in Mogadishu and Bosaso whom clearly derive their mediterranian style from Italy.

Now if every place had the same style wouldnt that be abit boring? Besides, Italian architecture is lagging behind in the modern day.

FYI: Hargeisa region recieves very good rainfall sxb, and procudes most of its vegies and fruits. In fact, it always ranked in the top 5 largest producers of cereal (sorghum and maize) in ex-Somalia. So, there you have it sxb.

I often go to H-town from Burco, the weather is quite a contrast, i find it cold in H-town at night (two duvets) and the smell of rain in the morning is quite refreshing.

Ballers, i saw them building that 1st picture in Jan 2003, good to see the final finish.

I see Northerner. I assumed the brick patrons were a general style sort of adopted by Western influences.

I believe there is a lot of experimenting going on with styles and if we continue to do so, it will be a matter of time till we see grand Buulo palaces like those in the Safari resorts in Kenya and Tanzania.

N.O.R.F   

^^well its a lucrative business if ya know what your doing. General construction prices have rocketed in recent times. A 4 bedroom, 2 living room, 1 kitchen and 2 toilet/shower rooms cost approx £40,000 5 years ago, these days your looking at about £90,000+ in Hargaisa, double the price. Market forces, a weak dollar, importing materials etc etc.

Gabbal   

Nice! You get a little peace, and the Somalis natural entrepreneurship takes over.

Hargeisa should seriously lobby to become the capital or co-capital of the Republic.