Sign in to follow this  
QabiilDiid

How fair is Oogle’s assessment of the BBC’s Chief Somali editor?

How fair is Oogle’s assessment of the BBC’s Chief Somali editor?

Most of us speak Somali and most of us listen to the BBC Somali Service most of the time to get daily update on what is happening back home. Occasionally, we encounter in the cyber space opinions criticizing the journalist performance of Yusuf Garaad, the service's chief editor. The following piece is the lengthiest one critical on Garaad that I have ever encountered. In your opinion do you agree, partially agree or disagree to Ooggle’s assessment? Please, keep our disease (tribal inclination) in check while attempting to put in your 2 cent on this one…

Beware the BBC Somali Service

By Mohamoud Oogle - UK

The fledgling government of Somalia does not only have to contend with the well-armed and well-funded warlords of Mogadishu but also has to face another mightier weapon at the disposal of the warlords: that is the regular propaganda support they receive from the BBC Somali Service sadly headed by someone by the name of Yussuf Garaad. For those who do not know, the name Garaad is a nickname which would normally evoke qualities such as wisdom and fairness. In Yussuf’s case, it is a misnomer. He is simply a warlord collaborator masquerading as a respectable BBC employee. From the time he took ov er the BBC Somali Section, the service has changed from an icon among the Somali broadcasting stations inside and outside the country to a mediocre service pandering to the personal agenda of the head of the Section

Those who are old enough will no doubt recall with nostalgia those golden old days of the BBC Somali Service. A broadcasting service is of course as good as the quality of its broadcasters and those who manage it. The BBC Somali Service has been very fortunate in the past in both these respects- until unfortunately Mr. Yussuf Garaad came on the scene some years ago. Its first broadcaster, seconded in 1957 from Radio Hargeisa, was the well-known and highly respected Haji Abdi Dualeh, the father of Somali broadcasting. A stream of distinguished announcers came after him: men like Aden Farah, Mohamed Abokor Haji Farah, Mohamed Abshir Yussuf, Mustafa Haji Nur, Ismail Haji Abdi, Hussein Mohamed Bullaleh, Osman Suguleh, Ahmed Ismail Samater, Idris Hassan Deria-just to name a few. It has been headed for many years by the late. C.J Martin who will always be remembered for his dee p attachment to Somalia and its people. After his retirement, he was succeeded by Hugh Walker, AbdiRahman Abby Farah, Patrick Gilks and Mohamoud Abdullahi, all of whom had maintained the highest standards and integrity of the Service that its listeners had came to cherish.

What Yussuf Garad has done to the BBC Somali Service is a mirror image of what his alter egos, the warlords, had done to Mogadishu. Just as the warlords unleashed a systematic and savage ethnic cleansing in Mogadishu soon after the fall of the Siyad Barre government and thereafter turned their guns on one another thereby reducing the once beautiful and historical city of Mogadishu into ashes and ruins to the detriment of future Somali generations if not mankind, so has Mr. Garaad eviscerated, some would say vandalised, the BBC Somali Service soon after his appointment as its Chief Editor. In one swoop, he got rid of more than half of the staff of the service only to replace them with inexperienced novices from his clan. Those victims were highly experienced and popular announcers w hose only misfortune was to serve as sacrificial lamps to give place to Yusuf Garad’s nominees.

Parallel to his in-house revolution at the Somali Service in London, he also recruited correspondents inside and outside Somalia, most of them from his clan. This brutal restructuring of the Service has given Mr. Yussuf Garaad almost total domination of the service which he now uses in pursuit of his personal whims but above all in support to the warlords. Those who know him close enough would diagnose his tribalism as typical of that mindless strain that would see anyone not from his tribe (****** ) as an enemy, and within the ****** anyone who is not from his sub-clan ***** as an outsider and in the end anyone who does not belong to his sub-sub clan ******** as no kinsman. This is the worst form of tribalism. It afflicts not only ordinary folks back home in Somalia whose defensive psyche may have been shaped by their security and basic needs in the absence of government. But its carriers also include so-called sophisticated individuals among the Diaspora who peddle in this primitive evil from their safe distance abroad but in the end ensure that the ordinary people back home are the victims irrespective of their tribe or clan

Those who regularly follow the programmes of the Somali Services can doubtless point to numerous occasions when the Section under Yussuf Garad’s supervision has been flagrantly one-sided and partisan. You only have to compare the different treatments meted to President Abdulqasim Salaad Hassan and President Abullahi Yussuf at the time of their election. In a nutshell, Yussuf Garaad’s BBC Somali Service gave full backing to President Abdulqasim, his cousin. Much as this smacks of nepotism, I would still continue to support such a stand which did not only benefit Abdulqasim but could also have served as the necessary catalyst for the revival and restoration of the Somali State. Has he treated Pre sident Abdullahi Yussuf and his government in a in a similar manner or at least remained impartial?. As it is, the BBC Somali Service has spared no effort to derail the government of Abdullahi Yussuf well before it sets its foot in the country. This is the same objective as that of the warlords and their backers. Full publicity had been given to the wayward speaker of the national Parliament, to dissident MPs, and above all to the warlords, all of whom are united in their opposition to the deployment of peacekeeping forces from neighbouring countries.

The worst examples of the use of the BBC Somali Service for propaganda purposes are the coverage given to demonstrations organized and orchestrated by the warlords in Mogadishu, Marca and other places. On a number of occasions, the BBC correspondent in Mogadishu, Farxiya Cali, would devote her entire daily dispatch to the BBC to the mantra of well selected individuals almost all saying the same thing as if the whole show has been rehearsed in advance. This should not be surprising as the demonstrators may be the militia of the warlords or their hangers-on. I cannot recall a single individual interviewed who said anything different. This is reminiscent of Siyad Barre’s days when pro-governmen t demonstrators would predictably chant the same slogans with no discordant voice.

How did the BBC come to be used in this sordid manner? That is the one-million dollar question. What is certainly true is that the BBC would have heeded listeners’ concerns if they were to mobilise them selves and complain to the top echelons of the organization. This is essential not only to defend the new Somali government from Yussuf Garaad but no less importantly to save our beloved BBC Somali Service from his mischievous machinations. There will come a time in the near future, we hope, when Somalia will have an ambassador in Britain who naturally will look after our interest and ensure that Yussuf Garad is defanged and can no longer visit any harm on Somalia or on the Somali Service. In the meantime, protests through all possible channels, including email messages, would serve an important role. Silence is the worst option.

Mohamoud Oogle

Email: Mohamoud_Oogle@yahoo.co.uk

www.midnimo.com

[ April 06, 2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

Nayruus, you could have spared us sis of this sick joke and i hope one day we somalis will outgrow this kind of clan Propaganda..........there is nothing intelligent behind this "assessment". it is ulterior motive is based on ... you guessed it... clannish politics!

but let us see here ....Yusuf Garaad is very successful qualified journalist and Mr. Ogle is nothing other than some warlord choir boy!whose only accomplishment so far is to write this trivial personal allegation. What is odd though is that, lately, we have witnessed a sudden rise of discourteous name-calling and condemnation of Yusuf Garaad’s immediate clan.(from a familiar source ). I guess it is an open season to smear and insult them since they have become somewhat influential in the capital. ( i don't understand why they don't follow suit and retaliate or is it it is beyond them and are not willing to pursue this low defeatist tactics! some people have no shame!)

No wonder that kind of smearing is in full bloom now that the Embghathi sham is going nowhere. maybe, BBC has become the scapegoat to blame for the failure of the transitional government which I understand this charlatan Oogle guy is mouth-piece advocate of it.

I believe the whole hoopla behind this mediocre denigration of Yusuf Garaad is emblematic of the Somali clan animosity. Some people have so audaciously become architects of fabrication and envy of the success of their fellow somalis. ( oogle and garaad belong two different somali clans,i assume....for if they were of the same clan, Oogle would have paid a tribute to his brother..but i guess not...maybe they are from competing clans in terms of politics and tribalism )

There is no question that Yusuf have revolutionized the BBC and that it has become more representative of the different Somali accents and dialects. my grannie is die-hard fan of Miss Weheliye (can't remeber her first name, but she is calm and smooth ), Ahmed Taajir (funniest somali broadcaster and the lgendary Cowke!( isn't he something!) She religiously listens the BBC on the net. The BBC has become her prime source of world News since she doesn't understand English that well.

I am hoping that he will do more to also represent the Maay dialect, so that my grannie's best friend Umaa Xaawa could also enjoy it.

Farxiya ali qaaje!(my home-girl ) leave her alone man! The sister is doing a great job! why are people ( from Gobol like this oogle ) so envious !!

I did my research on Mr. Garaad's immediate clan and found they have some heavyweight players in the messy somali politics.

Abdiqasim ( ex-Arta President), Galaal ( A decorated General ), Avvocato Dhimbil ( a member of the Parliament and prominent Somali ), Indha-Adde (governner of Lower Shabelle ), Sheikh Dahir Aweeys ( Some muslim leader - he is extreme though and he runs few Islamic courts ), Seeraar ( of Jubba Alliance ), Daylaaf and Goleey ( two influential businessmen ).

some business men who belong to the clan own and run few money transfer agencies like Global and Olympic in Mogadishu and are shareholders of the new somali CocaCola factory. They also run and own HornAfrik TV, STN TV, Shabelle Media Network. They are allied with some Anti-Ethiopian "samata-bixinta" factions. They are not supportive of Ina-Yeey's policies and are not in tune with his Ethiopian tutelage and are seen as a major obstacle of Ethiopia's plot to curve up somalia into more fiefdoms.

Is that why the clan of Yusuf Garaad have been scrutinized so meticulously ( by some familiar sources , may i add ) lately?

Rahima   

Aside from all the accusations and tribal rhetoric, a small side point

Farxiya ali qaaje

I think I met this lady whilst I was in Somalia, what can I say, she sure is one strong lady, I was so amazed by this woman, exactly how I imagined the Somali women of the past (strong and assertive) to be which was surprising considering that she is a young woman (early 30s I’d guess). I’m not familiar with her work (not at all so I cannot comment on that), but judging from the hour or so she spent in my uncles office (compiling a report on the views of the Somali banks, Amal in this case, about the establishment of a central bank of Somalia) I left thinking kudos to Somali women smile.gif .

Yes, i now officially consider myself the official cheerleader for Somali women icon_razz.gif .

Originally posted by macalimuu:

Abdiqasim ( ex-Arta President), Galaal ( A decorated General ), Avvocato Dhimbil ( a member of the Parliament and prominent Somali ), Indha-Adde (governner of Lower Shabelle ), Sheikh Dahir Aweeys ( Some muslim leader - he is extreme though and he runs few Islamic courts ), Seeraar ( of Jubba Alliance ), Daylaaf and Goleey ( two influential businessmen )...They are allied with some Anti-Ethiopian "samata-bixinta" factions. They are not supportive of Ina-Yeey's policies and are not in tune with his Ethiopian tutelage and are seen as a major obstacle of Ethiopia's plot to curve up somalia into more fiefdoms.

Is that why the clan of Yusuf Garaad have been scrutinized so meticulously ( by some familiar sources , may i add ) lately?

An impressive list. A list that includes such nationalists and jihadists as Yusuf Indhacade and Gen Galaal. Yes, they oppose Ethiopian "occupation" of Somalia - but they support their own occupation of parts of Somalia. Such nationalists who attack Baydhabo, who forcefully occupy the fertile lands of coastal southern Somalia. They oppose OCCUPATION - except theirs. Sad that Somali nationalism and Islam have become the scapegoats for every evil act committed in Somalia today.

As for the "familiar sources" comment - did you forget that Ooge's article was first posted on MIDNIMO.com? If you're not familiar, MIDNIMO.com is owned by people from Mogadishu. Also, read this piece posted on Jamhuuriya Online page (Jamhuuriya is a national newspaper in S/land). Or is S/land part of the "familiar sources"? If most of everyone is making comments against you, there's probably some truth to it:

Ujeedo Dhaliil BBCda Af Soomaaliga

Annaga oo Magacyadayadu kala yihiin Axmed Ismaaciil Rooble iyo Cabdilaahi Obsiiye Axmed, waxaanu ka soo hor jeednaa aadna u dhalliilaynaa Waraysigii uu dhawaan Axmed Siciid Cige, Wariyaha BBC-du uu ka qaaday shacabka Reer Somaliland ee ku dhaqan Hargeysa 19/3/05.

Kaas oo aanu u aragno in uu ahaa waraysi meel ka dhac ku ah Qaranimada iyo Madax bannaanida Somaliland, arrintaa wax ka qabashadeedana waxaa looga fadhiyaa Xukuumadda, Xisbiyada Mucaaradkuna ay si cad uga hadlaan arrintaa BBC-duna waxay haatan noqotay Idaacad u adeegta Muqdisho iyo Walawayn, waayo, hadday waraysi qaadayso dadkan iyo dalkani waxay leeyihiin Qaynuun, Dastuur iyo dano siyaasaddeed wax haka waydiiso doorashadooda Baarlamaanka ee baaqatay laakiin in la waydiiyo Ciidamo mala keenaa Koonfur iyo in kale waa arrin khaldan oo aan annaga na khusayn.

Cabdillaahi Obsiiye Axmed iyo Axmed Ismaaciil Rooble, Hargaysa.

AXMAD SICIID CIGE MA QADIYADA S/LAND AYUU YUUSUF GARAAD.........!

Wadaniyadu waa shay qaali ah, qiima gooyaana aanu jirin, qofbana si bay ku tahay, Waxase naxdin leh mararka aad aragto qof qaranimadiisa, qofka oo cadow qarankiisa u ahi, sida uu u u jecel yahay, iyo xumaanta u la rabo u adeegaya sida ninkani aan is qaran ee AXMAD SICIID CIGE, oo annigu aaminsanahay in uu B.B.Cda, ka sokow uu u adeego ninka yar ee u bambaxay cadownimada S/land uu u qabo een marna qarsan lana yidhaahdo YUUSUF GARAAD.

Hadda waxay taagnayd wax xun ka sheega uu caadeystay AXMAD YUUSUF CIGE ee qaranka S/land iyo Buubuuninta maalinta wax yar oo qalad ah ka yimaado xukuumada ood moodo sida uu ugu waramo in ku faraxsan baylahda yar ee dhacda ama ka muuqata Xukuumda, isla mar ahaantaasina huriya MURANKA ka yimaada MUCAARADKA IYO XUKUUMADA.

Waxase Yaab leh badheedhka uu maalinta dhaweyd kula dhacay in uu sharafta Umada Reer S/land dhex dhigo codadka gobolada SOOMAALIYA, HARGEYSANA uu ag dhigo ama la simo magaalooyinka GAROOWE, QARDHO, QORYOOLEY, MARKA IWM. Ninkaasi waa DEANBIILE QARAN.

Xukuumada S/land waxaa ku waajiba, QURBO-JOOG badana ka codsanayaa in Maxakamada la horgeeyo, lana weydiiyo NINKAASI waxa Foolxumada caalamka oo dhani daawanayo ee ah Talo-xumada iyo Dhooqada Soomaaliada ee Kiiniya ka socoto, dhex gashay Codka sharafta leh ee shacbiga ku nool Caasimada S/land ee Hargeysa..

ISMAACIIL CAYDIID LONDON

ubaxle07@yahoo.com

Jamhuuriya Online

I have my beef with this radio and ina Garaad. I have been listening to it since the arrival of radio broadcast message on the internet. I do not recall a single program in which they had explained in simple plain language, to the Somali people the positions of U.N., A.U., the League Arab States, the Organization of Islamic Conferences, the E.U., the Russian Federation, and other pertinent World bodies and governments, in regard to the national unity and territorial integrity of the Somali Republic. A lot of people in the Northwestern regions of Somalia who occasionally sympathize with the few secessionists in power, are not aware of the World stand on Somalia. Ina Garaad and his crew neither keep the average Somali informed about the international community’s unprepared ness in tampering with the national borders of the Somali Republic nor ask the secessionist leaders the hard questions when it comes to have a dialogue about the restoration of the Somali Republic.

The issue of the Somali unity is always on the back burner in their programs. I have never heard a single debate aired by the BBC Somali Service taking place between the Somaliweyn believers in Hargeisa and the flag wavers of the secessionists. Their correspondent in the city, because of partiality and hidden agenda, never bother to seek opinions diagonally opposed to that of the armed few. I mean it is the job description of the modern journalist to see conflicts from different angles. Ina Cige is paid by by Ina Garaad. Can you recall Ina Cige going to Laascaanood or even to Boorama to check the political beliefs of the ordinary persons in the street of these cities? I doubt you can! Mind you Ina Cige has been in North Somalia for more than 4 years employed by the BBC’s Ina Garaad! That is one of the reasons I am saying that he has a hidden agenda. He is in bed with the secessionists and tacitly is approved by his masters in London.

Without prejudice, when you look at the disintegration of the Somalia and the suffering of the ordinary Somalis caused by the few, one can say that the BBC and ina Garaad are not doing their full potential to keep the ordinary Somalis (especially those in the country side) timely informed in fair and equitable manner. There is one more point supporting this assertion. How many of you can tell me what does Security Council Resolution 1587 stand for? :confused:

i never listen to bbc! n when it to comes to somali affair, i just evaluate it in my head!! i believe thats why allah separated me from the animals!! i.e, to use your mental judgment but never to believe a story!!

on the flip side, these days, every one is pushing their tribal agent!! so waa caano dhaatay!!

and on the down side, nothing is gonna materialize till we unite n stop the selfish childish game!!

You know what happened in Ina Garaad’s radio today? F. Waraabe was given a scope of air time to spread his waraabiisim (cannibalism) and nonsensical reasoning for his suicidal attempt to dismember Somali Republic. Worst than that he did not call Ina Garaad’s radio as it is normal for Somali pseudo politicians to phone BBC for addressing accusations made against them by others. But examine this carefully. He was contacted and interviewed by one of Ina Garaad's staff. Several times he stressed that the Somali people in Sool and Sanaag regions and the few secessionists in Hargeisa share an exclusive umbilical cord of brotherhood and that they together have common enemies who are no other but the other Somalis who he described as the black evil hand separating them. He said he wanted to capture their hearts and minds for his blind and unrealistic cause.

The straw that broke the camel's back is that Mr. Waraabe insulted and labeled radio Laascaanood a liar and propagandist.

Where is Ina Garaad’s journalist impartiality? Wasn’t it the right time to ask Mr. Waraabe if he believed the principle of self-determination and whether he was prepared to accept the judgment of the people of Sool and Sanaag if they are polled through ballot box to go with the secessionists and dismember Somali Republic or preserve Somali unity and stay with the bigger family??? Wasn't it the right time to remind him of the World stand for the sovereignty, political freedom and territorial integrity of Somalia? (Adduunku waxa uu idiiin arkaa in aad kuligii walaalo tihiin)…

On the other hand Ina Garaad did not bother to call radio Laascaanood journalists and reporters and asked them about what they had been accused of! Radio Laascaanood is a respectful Somali local radio and has large numbers of audiences. The only thing they propagandize is the Somali unity….but the question is why ina garaad is always putting the issue of Somali unity on the backburner and at the same time loosen the rob for the few secessionists by giving them free air time? How many Somali persons can the likes of Mr. Waraabe speak for? Sadly, British taxpayers’ money is being wasted. :mad:

Caveman   

Nayruus

I have yet to turn on a program of BBC Somali Service, but I have seen influx of criticism of Mr. Garaad’s tactics. As far I as I know, BBC Somali Service is overrated Regardless of who heads it. BBC Somali Service is the only “News†Mediam I know, where they refer a warlords/thugs “Jaale Mudane†and never really press-on on the lands these thugs hold in ransom.

NAYRUUS…..i gota ask more important question though….what ever happen your daily/weakly updates on the senseless lives taken in Somalia, I was more interested in that. I care less on “Been-Been-Cee†degrading itself into the depth of mediocrity.

Xoogsade   

Macalimuu, It is noble and one thing to oppose ethiopian intervention, at the same time, showing you care about what goes on in your own backyard and work for the interest of your immidiate clansmen at least, give them the opportunity to flourish in peace if you are influential is another. These aforementioned influential men seem to care more about their personal businesses and stakes than they care about governance that benefits everyone in the areas they master influence. I don't know about this uweys man very much. I saw vidoe tapes few years back where they showed some obvious relief and amelioration in the farmlands, included in the tapes were interviews from the local elders who expressed some joy with the change and the break they got from gunmen who robbed them daily. The tapes showed some jailed previous-thugmen who were reformed(some) or being reformed still. How that changed afterwards through the years ensuing I have no idea.

Anyway, Somalis in the south are nowadays lost in between power hungry faithless men, and thuggish business individuals who hijacked the community's voices. The rest of us(in-betweens) seem to be willing victims who sing the praises of these hobgoblins and vampire men. Perhaps people deserve what they are into of confused and sometimes violent life. I wonder why the prayers of those who pray for peace and government aren't accepted?

It is unacceptable that Somali voices remain silent on the ridiculousness of what Ina Garaad with the help of his right-hand man Ina Cige are doing to the Somali psyche, especially the psyche of the people of North West Somalia. It is given ( let Ina Garaad ask his immediate British supervisor) the objectives of the BBC Somali Service is to help Somali people get relevant information that may, in whatever degree it is, improve their living standards. I mean, basically, all man-made institutions toil to enhance the living conditions of human beings. Whatever role they play in societies, their functions directly or indirectly contribute to the wellbeing of humanity. The air waves of the BBC are not intended to work against the interest of the Somali people.

It is as clear as the light rays bombarding your retina if you are not blind; the whole world, including the British government has been denying the claim of the few armed militias to break up The Somali Republic. For more than fourteen years, the world has been denying Ina Riyaale and likes forum to convince the universe that Somalis, one of the purest races in time memorial, can not live together under one nation. Recognition of the Hargeisa’s municipal council as an independent state is light-years away. As Somalis say, it is like hair strands budding out of a palm.

It is self-defeating to tally for the few who are suffering from SBS (Siyad Bare Syndrome) the rationales on which the world bodies based their refusal to break up the Somali Republic for many articulate true sons of Somalia have been doing justice to them and had unaccountable knockouts. Pseudo journalists Ina Garad and Ina Cige must know their ways to these treasures and all other supporting arguments for the unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity of Somalia. They must stop being submissive to the Riyale’s militia and the other fake so-called political parties that are caged in Hargeisa’s barn zoo.

Do not think I am just using superlatives to mud the BBC Somali chief editor. Ina Garad heads a powerful tool that affects the psyche of many Somalis especially the young and innocent. He is accountable to his actions and his unbalanced editorial pieces for it seems his British supervisor gives him a free hand to run the show. In his mind he may be trying to be impartial but he is not. An example illustrates this point. Today, 26th of April, Ina Garaad gave 12 minutes and 20 seconds of free air time to Riyale’s militia when his right hand man In Cige granted an interview to the head of so called commission of elections, Mr. Cadaan, a hypocrite who claimed that 70% of the bill for the anticipated elections in Hargeisa is footed by European Union along with the British government. For an inattentive person, this interview carries the message that the E.U. perceives Hargeisa’s municipal council head a sovereign African government. Was not it the right moment that Ina Cige ask the interviewee to clarify to the audience if the E. U. is funding the elections because they see Northwest regions as self governing province of the Federal Republic of Somalia or as a sovereign broke African “democracy†that deserves financial assistance?

In any case, this is a wake up call for all Somalis and other peace loving people. News serving industry works for the people. When Ina Garad and Ina Cige give free air time to Riyale’s militia to spread their misleading propaganda and falsehoods, have they ever thought how the minds of the 9 years olds in Hargeisa are being manipulated and distorted? No, the simple fact is they have not and you and I are silent about it. :mad:

Coloow   

Nayruus, the problem with us somalis is that even if Nabi Maxamed (SAW) was a somali, we are going to depart from his tribe and condemn/condone him. Our points of departure is one that is clan-centric. Once a person holds a senior position (president/prime Minister/ broadcaster), we tend to ask what clan he belongs to- and hell/heaven breaks out!

I rarely listen to the BBC (I see it as one of the last remaining pillars of colonialism).

But there are few things about it that I never liked even back home. The relatively homogenous dialect of the presenters. If the BBC-somali service wants to accomplish itself as a source of information for somalis, then it should diversify itself in terms of dialects. But, I guess that is a different issue than the one at hand.

Today, Ina Cige reported that an A. U. fact finding mission arrived in Hargeisa. The delegation met the press and declared their intention to visit different regions of Northern Somalia. If Ina Cige is not partial, wasn’t it the right time to ask them how it would practical for them to visit the Northeastern regions such as Sool and Sanaag if they have to be escorted by Riyaale’s militia? :mad: