Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

Puntland Oil Mining Deal: The Offspring of an Affair btw Greed and Incompetence 'I'

^

LOL Should I be a robot and a "yes man" to the most incompetent and corrupt Puntland leadership to date?

My mother raised me better.

However, you posted the reasons we shouldn't "trust" LaasQorey Net and Garowe Online. My turn:

1. SBC is owned by Puntland super-minister Cabdi Awaare.

2. HorseedNet is owned by the son of PL police commander Kheyr.

Which means both those Web sites are owned by members of PL gov't.

My, my...Who should we trust? :D

Go with your heart or should I say "Go with the flow", run with the crowd Code! That's when you most effective!

Can you tell me, how many fingers I am holding up? Is it two, four or eight?

Excuse me, I forgot you can't see! Let's keep it that way, shall we Mr. Code!

art   

codetalker, Garowe online is registered in Australia.

If somalia/puntland want to have a war, I'm sure thet'll do this without ranges interests. The country's history is riddled with skirmishes between clans, this retards progress.

Thankful   

Been away for a bit, see things haven't changed. Wow, the same people using the same tribal websites as their sources. But it's hilarious, even though my own commonsense would never allow me to quote a site that refuses to name the author of a certain article and where they are receiving their information, people here are always doing it and it's strange how all the other sites are bad except for the ones they quote.

Throwing around numbers off the top of their heads about this payment and that payment. Seriously though, the President has made a successful trip to Ethiopia and more are planned, things are very peaceful in Puntland. The Government and mostly the people have shown they can handle any crisis. It is only those living abroad that love to talk and complain. Look at all those articles that are being written and where those people are, laasqory...garowe etc all living abroad, the people posting here, all leaving abroad. They all get their info from 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand sources. Whatever they read, they automatically believe. Regardless, first they claimed that Geedi will never accept the deal, then faroole tried to use violence and was humiliated, after that their are battles all of here and there. I suggest people travel to Puntland first and learn what is really going on. Things are great!!! Regardless of what people are writing on a tribal site, living abroad. I suggest everyone simply make a trip and see.

^

Dude, no one is talking about Puntland in general. We're only discussing the deal.

Anyway, the "untrustworthy" news Web site posted the actual letter from PM Geedi:

Prime Minister A. M. Geedi letter to Puntland - Garowe Online

ART -

You're absolutely correct: If Somalis wanted to fight, they could. But what you're missing here is that areas of Somalia where war didn't happen before started fighting because of Range's involvement in Puntland. Furthermore, the scattered conflicts Puntland has witnessed in the past few months are not common in Puntland or Somalia because they're based on local clans' right to protect traditional homelands from PL/foreign exploitation.

I know its your interest to make money. My interest is to help stop deadly conflicts like in Majihaan from ever taking place again.

art   

codetalker, the cessation of deadly battles is of far more importance than profits. Unfortunately money and greed is often the cause of war.

Regarding the Gedi letter available on Garoweonline. It is factual that Garoweonline is a melbourne, australia, based organisation. The Gedi letter it seems was made available a day before the directors of range resources received the letter. I have concerns about the authenticity of the letter considering that the directors never received the letter but garoweonline, who have offices in the same city as range resources received the ltter, even though they were never addressed as recipients of the letter.

Paragon   

Codetalker,

It is quite interesting that Geedi has gone back to review his earlier act of granting rights to Range Ranges. It is as if he has been reading my objections to him and Cade's attempts to profit before capable parliament and government are re-instated. As I said in the previous topic, the decision still rests on what the Council of Ministers and the parliament says. Somehow, this new development (Geedi's recent letter), makes things look more hopeful.

Art,

Are you saying since Somalis have a long history of clashes between clans and skirmishes here and there, that what you call progress (or venture profiteering to me) must be implimented, regardless of who dies? This sounds as if one is stipulating that we should let the locals of Chernobyl continue working with high levels of radiation leaks, because as this logic goes, they have had (and will have) a long history of radition leak!

According to you these clashes retard progress, when infact logically, progress only comes with a long-lasting peace. Range resources knows the peace in the region in which it wishes to invest is temporary, since the whole country is at war. So range resources came to Puntland with the full knowledge that they may become another source of conflict. I say their persuit for profit retards the wheels of their logic and reasoning.

Cade, as foolish as he is, should have also thought of the consequences of eating alone that which belongs to another clan, in a country that is being ravaged by poverty. The main reason Somalia is at war is this very thing of economic greed. How brain-dead would one (Cade) be for not consulting with the very people he wishes to exploit their land!? War wuxu doqonsanaa ma caqligaa doonni laga saarey! .

Sakhar,

You come across as someone new to this affair of resource grapping in Somali lands. Am I to suppose that you are either a Somali new to Somali politics, or another treasure hunter like art or even worse Duke , who is as described by Codetalker. Whatever you are, the issue has more of an economic twist than it has a clannistic tone. It is who gets what down his/her throat or who shares what! To the locals, it is who dares dig it, cook it, and eat it before us smile.gif .

BoiBoi   

Paragon,

I think you should re-read the letter carefully.

Ghedi wants to return the concessions to the previous title holders, as granted by "Said Barre"?

So lets welcome America with open arms. That is what Ghedi is suggesting, right?

PARAGON -

Geedi's letter means Col Yeey has given "the word." :D Once the Daddy of Puntland speaks, we all know the little puppies (Cadde, Afqurac) need to shut their useless mouths up. Indeed, Geedi's letter is hope for all those who foresaw the potential for devastation in PL if Cadde's one-man show continued.

For those with "doubts":

The letter is so authentic and real that Puntland leaders and ministers are holding an emergency meeting (SBC) about it in Garoowe. I presume they'll make a statement soon.

Maf Kees   

Codetalker.

You made me realize that Somalia is not ready for this kinda shidh. Oil drilling in the near future is impossible as long as Somalis are able to cause a civil war over it.

I mean why the rush from some people? You wanna steal the money before a new political climate will make daylight robbery impossible or something? They ain't better than the warlords in Mogadishu if this is true.

Thankful   

It's funny when the so-called battle of Majihaan took place, no letter was written or protests from the Geedi. If a fight was really taking place (which never happened), wouldn't that have been the time to write one? What is so special with right now? I'll tell you, it has to all do with the trip President Cade made to Ethiopia and the how successful it was. He was given a full presidential visit, something that Riyaale didn't receive on his trip at the same time as President Cade was there and Geedi never has received. Geedi never protested the deal while people were trying to pretend a battle took place wherever Range went and now a month and a half later he is? But like I said, what can he do to stop it? Send troops to Bosasso port? He should focus on the War crimes occurring in Mogadishu and less on jealousy. No one can stop the deal, as long as President Cade has the people support. The desperate situation many people are facing here and the potential foreign investment brings has made this deal successful in Puntland. But of course, those living abroad would love to say otherwise.

^

:D Out of all the people on SOL Politics, you're the easiest to make fun of. You're going back to your earlier comments that Geedi is "jealous" and he needs to fix his "tribal" problems, huh. LOL

Originally posted by somalipride:

What is so special with right now? I'll tell you, it has to all do with the
trip President Cade made to Ethiopia
and the how successful it was. He was given a full presidential visit, something that Riyaale didn't receive on his trip at the same time as President Cade was there and Geedi never has received.

LOL Dude, is that even an argument? How old is you, seriously? You're acting like Cadde, Riyaale and Geedi are 3 kids on a playground. Goodness. What was so "successful" about Cadde's trip to Ethiopia? He was accused by Meles' Tigre dictatorship of letting ONLF transport weapons through PL. That was the major reason he was invited to Addis.

Geedi never protested the deal while people were trying to
pretend
a battle took place wherever Range went

That's just disrespectful to the dead. Allaha u naxaristo dadkii u dhintay dulmiga iyo xumaanta uu ina Muuse Xirsi Boqor ka wado Puntland. There is nothing to "pretend." You must live in the Stone Age not to know Range's involvement in Puntland has led to many dead people!

But like I said, what can he do to stop it? Send troops to Bosasso port? He should focus on the War crimes occurring in Mogadishu and less on jealousy.

PM Geedi is focusing on the Mogadishu war. But his powers are limited, as you well know. But a great mind can do two+ things at once. Can Cadde's mind do that? :D

What scares you is that Geedi must've had Col Yeey's support before publishing the letter. Which means Col Yeey is tired of Cadde's hard-headed policies. If Geedi can't move units in Boosaaso, you besta believe Col Yeey can in an instant.

Believe you me, Sir, you don't want Col Yeey to move units.

No one can stop the deal, as long as President Cade has the people support.

What people? His nephews and nieces? I hardly think they reflect Reer Puntland as a whole.

I see Mr. Gheedi and the code have got something in common: Indecisiveness! Who is now incompetent and switches from one degree of prohibition to another degree of acceptance like the Wind? Indeed there is a massive confusion to some people. I've heard confusion attracts confusion, so does chaos attract chaos and anarchy, well anarchy. A world turned upside down and a puppett primeminister without purpose. God help us all!

Qoraalkii ugu horeeyey oo diidmada ahaa 6dii October 2005

geedi_batrool_puntland1.JPG

Qoraalkii Ogolaanshaha 2dii November 2005

geedi_batrool_puntland2.JPG

Qoraalkii ugu danbeeyey 18ka May 2006

geedi_batrool_puntland.JPG

art   

Originally posted by BoiBoi:

Paragon,

I think you should re-read the letter carefully.

Ghedi wants to return the concessions to the previous title holders, as granted by "Said Barre"?

So lets welcome America with open arms. That is what Ghedi is suggesting, right?

BoiBoi, that is exactly what Gedi is attempting to do. US based ConoccoPhilips originally held concessions I believe in the Nogal valley, more specifically block 28. Look at the involvement of the US in Iraq. If there were no oil in Iraq, would the US be there. Now the US has involved iteslf in Mogadishu and now we see a backflip by Gedi regarding the old concessions.

When Range was negotiating the agreement with the TFG it was pointed out that it would not be appropriate to do any deals with an american oil company. So if it is the americans who have precipitated the backflip, what does Gedi get oot of it.

Force majeure was declared by the western companies regarding these concessions, so legally they are no longer valid. Gedi is doing a backflip on a legal agreement. Does Gedi yield enough power in the TFG to act like this?

Paragon, I was not saying death is a good thing. death is never a good thing.