Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Stone the Adulterer!

Nur   

Naden walaalo

Jazakellahu kheiran for your indirect answer to my question, I understand that the you mean that a real basis for the stoning punishment must be well substantiated in Quraan and Sunnah, if that is your stand, I will do my homework to explore with you its validity.

kindly waiting your green light.

Nur

Naden   

Nur, let’s begin with one hadith in Sahih Muslim (Book 017, Number 4194). Here’s the text and the reference :

'Abdullah b. 'Abbas reported that 'Umar b. Khattab sat on the pulpit of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Verily Allah sent Muhammad (may peace be upon him) with truth and He sent down the Book upon him, and the verse of stoning was included in what was sent down to him. We recited it, retained it in our memory and understood it. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) awarded the punishment of stoning to death (to the married adulterer and adulteress) and, after him, we also awarded the punishment of stoning, I am afraid that with the lapse of time, the people (may forget it) and may say: We do not find the punishment of stoning in the Book of Allah, and thus go astray by abandoning this duty prescribed by Allah. Stoning is a duty laid down in Allah's Book for married men and women who commit adultery when proof is established, or it there is pregnancy, or a confession.

So it says the following:

1. Stoning verse is included in what was sent from Allah to the prophet (csw)

2. Mohamed (csw) has delivered what was sent to him in the book

3. People in the future will wonder about the verse – it is a mystery now how it was sent down, included in the book, and now not present in the book

4. Stoning is a ‘duty laid down in Allah’s book’ despite its absence in that very book.

From the outset, the implications of this hadith are grave and here are two:

1. The prophet (csw) did not deliver the message and record it as it was sent to him

2. Allah ordains serious legislation that is in the book and yet not in the book

And this is only a comment on one account in regards to this matter.

Nur   

Naden sis

I hope that you answer my question directly, you seem to be putting more diverging issues on the table which I welcome with delight to discuss on theor own, however, let us get the first one answered straight forward:

You wrote:

"Arguments can be made for each side but I've always been of the conviction that there is no real basis for this practice in Islam."

My question, remains walaalo, what is the "real basis" that would be acceptable to you for the stoning ruling? If Quraan and Hadeeth are not "Real Basis" as you imply with the above analysis of yours from a roughly translated Hadeeth in English, then say so and lets us get on with the discussion.

Nur

Naden   

Nur, walaal, the punishment for adultery is in the Quran. It is one of the few punishments for a transgression that is detailed clearly with a manner and a number. If there is a differentiation between a single or a married transgressor, surely God would have put in the extra 2 or 3 words as, xashalillah, he does not confuse people willfully.

That is the 'real basis' for the punishment. Stoning is mentioned in the Quran in historical contexts but never in relation to adultery as a punishment ordained by God.

I am surprised that you think that above Hadith is a 'diverging' issue.

If you prefer the remainder of the discussion to include Arabic supporting text or be in Arabic entirely, please feel free.

Nur   

Much Thanks yaa ghaaliya, I just read your response on the run to the gym, very good, maashAllah, will not let you down inshAllah!

Nur

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Hayam:

Let's not this discussion die, since my efforts to do research on my own are coming to a halt

what have u gained from your research thus far and can you share with us, if i may ask? Its not any easy discussion thats for sure.