Sign in to follow this  
nuune

Somaliland Peacekeepers to Mogadishu

nuune   

If it is all about peacekeepin and maintaining security in Mogadishu, then it can be possible for SL army to join and keep to promote the peace around that corner of Somalia, the capital city, this may sound crazy to many people, hearing Somaliland Peacekeepers, but they are 100% better than Ethiopian troops or Amison together with any other UN backed armies.

It is simple process, in logistical terms, what ye thing of this all!!!!

This has nothin to do with recognition, or wey duushey in that regard, but more like looking into other options, and I don't see better options than Somaliland Peacekeepers to replace Ethio and Amison.

PS: PL peacekeepers failed that mission to keep the city peace, lets try SL peacekeepers, I don't say troops, PL peacekeepers & SL peacekeepers, the latter is more organised.

nuune   

I see JB, no one has touched or even thoutght of this subject, even Oodweyne would be so amazed to hear such options smile.gif

Number one for SL peacekeepers in Mogadishu:

- Same language

- same culture

- same religion

- same region

- same Somaliweyn smile.gif

- and finally same understanding of where the problem lies

First, I'm sure that depends on the recognition to be honest. Somaliland doesn't want to be involved in Somalia's issue unless its cause is finalized. It has been avoiding all those conferences, mediation and so on since 1991 just make clear it is issue is different and it worked. So it is an interest-driven world, if your interest is not guaranteed then you will do nothing about it. We're talking in the political view here not the waa walaaleheen iyo waa Islaam view.

This could be a good chance though looking at the positive side so that Somaliland will be able to put their chosen one on the top so that the issue of recognition will be solved. Somaliland can always find a Hamid Karazai version of Somalia ,,, ;)

Second, I don't think Somaliland will succeed where the world failed. The factions in Somalia are hard to bring them together and disarming them is almost impossible. Even if we share the culture, religion and so on they will still find an issue to fight against those peacekeepers. Look what is happening in Guriceel just yesterday, they are both Muslims and killing each other.

Third, I'm not sure if SL has the full capacity to deploy its forces there. It could be a good opportunity for SL to ask for new equipments, funds and so on so that it will empower its entire troops but Muqdisho needs more than thousands of peacekeepers in this regard.

Fourth, I'm not even sure if the people of SL are ready to sacrifice lives of their soldiers in Muqdisho. I'm talking about the public here and the families. I'm sure that kind of government will be overthrown then. I'm sure the financial and human cost will be too high. The financial part can be covered by the UN and other countries but the human cost will not be accepted that easy unless the SL future is clear for everybody and they are dying for that cause.

Lastly, This is a great point of discussion. I will write an article about it soon Insha Allah.

Thanks nuune ...

NGONGE   

Why bother with Somaliland when you have Djibouti though? All the criteria you have there would apply here. AND they're an independent sovereign nation. Add to that the fact they've stuck their oar in Somali politics for years.

Ibtisam   

Then the Somalis [in the south] will suddenly all become friends against a new common enemy, the SL Peacekeepers, and when they kick them out, they will no longer be united, back to square1.

Also, if there are any fighting at this point, even in self defence, people will always say SL peacekeepers are seeking revenge for 1991 and the years before that.

I think it is the worse possible idea, and drags one of the remaining peaceful regions into the conflict, make the north more of a target and building even more resentments. It is not a family affair, SL has stood aside for so long, it will be suicidal to suddenly play big daddy

Originally posted by nuune:

PS: PL peacekeepers failed that mission to keep the city peace, lets try SL peacekeepers, I don't say troops, PL peacekeepers & SL peacekeepers, the latter is more organised.

What do you have to back that claim?

No offense but your topic is nothing but nonsense, what can somaliland rag tag militias accomplish that highly trained african and ethiopian and puntland peacekeepers can't? There needs to be peace and negotiations between all southern clans for peacekeepers to be effective.

Emperor   

^Nuune likes to twist words, there are no PL peacekeepers, they are as Somali as any of the men from Mogadishu and part of the TFG forces. Lets not think or treat each other like foreigners.

PL, SL, and reer Mogadishu are all Somali part of the former republic, they cannot be considered as a peace keeping forces from the outside. These Somali soldeirs from different regions make up the Somali national army.

Emperor   

^Indeed, should the ICU forces is made part of the legitimate Somali government forces, then they will have every right to go anywhere in Somali to restore peace, law and order without any forms filled or permissions granted by other small or large organisation.

Well since there is no 'legitimate' army force i suppose they are the best qualifies for the job above all others, they did the impossible once.