Sign in to follow this  
Muruqmaal

Today, the government is in control of the whole country

Transcript: Somalia’s Future

His Excellency Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed

President of the Transitional Government of Somalia

Chatham House Thursday 22 February 2007

Chatham House is independent and owes no allegiance to government or to

any political body. It does not hold opinions of its own; the views expressed in

this text are the responsibility of the speaker. This transcript is issued on the

understanding that if any extract is used, the author and Chatham House

should be credited, preferably with the date of the speech.

Ms. Healy, ladies and gentlemen,

I am very pleased to be here today to talk to you and share with you the situation in

Somalia.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Before I got into the main thrust of my speech, I’d like to briefly mention an aspect of

the Somali political landscape that does not come to the mind when we talk about

Somalia.

Somalia used to be a multiparty democratic state. I was one of very few countries in

the continent where political power changed hands in a peaceful and democratic

way. Between 1960, when Somalia became independent, to 1969 when the military

took power in a coup d’etat, three free and fair general elections and one presidential

election took place. The loser conceded willingly and congratulated the winner. The

will of the people was respected.

I am bringing this issue to fore in order to dispel the negative image that has take

shape in the minds of the citizens of this world that Somalia is a hopeless country

and is beyond redemption. It is not.

Since October 1969 Somalia has been through 20 years of military dictatorship and

an additional 16 ears of a conflict that left behind the death of more than half a million

people, the complete collapse of the socio-politico-economic infrastructure as well as

the displacement of millions of people. The effect of this conflict is still visible in the

land and people.

As you know, many attempts were made to bring peace and stability to Somalia, but

all failed. It seemed that every time one reconciliation conference failed to bring

peace, new armed faction appeared in the political arena. The warlords who own and

run these militias were given seats on each reconciliation conference. This behaviour

sent the signal that “violence pays” and within a short period Somalia became the

most dangerous place on earth.

However, neither the Somali people nor the international community gave up on the

effort to find a lasting peace in Somalia. Their perseverance was rewarded in 2004

when, after a two-year conference in Kenya of representatives of the Somali people,

a Transitional Federal Charter was agreed by the delegates and the Transitional

Federal Government (TFG) was born. It was an all inclusive broad-based

government and each and every social group were truly represented.

Despite many difficulties that we faced, the government relocated from Nairobi to

Somalia. Unfortunately, Mogadishu remained a haven for violent groups whose

leaders were also members of the parliament as well as the transitional Federal

Government of Somalia (TFG).

An apparent breakthrough for Somalia came about in June 2006, when an alliance of

religious groups collectively called Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) defeated the

warlords who controlled Mogadishu. I say apparently because the early optimism

that we saw did not last. Although initially they made positive statements about

peace and reconciliation and their intention to work with the TFG, they emerged on

the agreements they reached twice with the TFG in Khartoum and the third time

refused to sit with the government delegation and showed a hostile intent towards

the TFG. This hostility turned to a real threat to the TFG. In December 2006, they

attacked Baidoa, the seat of the government.

The UIC was bent on taking the political power by force. However, when they were

defeated by the TFG army and fled Mogadishu, the leadership of the UIC resigned

and disbanded their organisation. They decided to go underground and harass the

government through guerrilla warfare. That did not materialise and the UIC cease to

exist as an organization.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today, the government is in control of the whole country. But establishing complete

security and law and order would require time and tremendous effort. Mogadishu is

overflowing with arms of all types and sizes. Some are leftover of the previous

regime and warlords. But most of the sophisticated arsenal came from countries that

support international terrorism whose intention was to support the UIC to maintain its

grip on Mogadishu and surrounding areas. Some of the countries were our historical

allies, who have contributed much in the Somali National Peace Process in Kenya

2002/2004. We urge these countries to help us rebuild Somalia and refrain giving

hands to the spoilers of peace and stability.

These arms are in the hands of individuals or organised groups. Pacifying

Mogadishu would need time and patience and winning of the hearts and mind of the

general public. There is no military solution for peace in Somalia and the TFG is

determined to bring peace to every corner of Somalia.

It was a matter for regret that Somalia has recently attracted attention as a haven for

terrorist organisations and as an exporter of the radical phenomenon. The lack of

central government that could control the borders of the country contributed to this

situation. As early as 1992, there were unsubstantiated rumours that some of the

local warlords were sheltering some known terror organisations. It is now an

accepted fact that the individuals who bombed the US Embassies in Nairobi and

Dar-Es Salaam came from Somalia.

Terrorism is an international phenomenon and needs international effort to eradicate

it. It is an article of faith for the TFG that never again shall Somalia become a haven

for terrorism. We shall never allow violent organizations to take a foothold in Somalia. The demise of the UIC is the beginning of this process. It is incumbent upon the international community to help Somalia in it’s counter terrorism efforts.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Somalia is standing at a crossroad. For the first time in two

decades the future of Somalia is in the hands of its people. We have a government

that is the result of a long process of national reconciliation. It is determined to reestablish law and order and democratic governance. We know it is a long and

difficult road but one which we are determined to take. Somalia must reclaim its

sovereignty and the people must take the destiny of their country in their hands.

We believe that the future of Somalia is bright. After the defeat of the Islamic Courts,

I called for a national reconciliation congress that would finally reconcile the warring

Somali clans and that would cement the political reconciliation that was achieved in

2004. This congress will take place in Somalia in the coming weeks. It will be open

for Somalis from all walks of life, inside as well as outside the country. We hope it will

consign conflict to history once and for all.

Among the objectives of this reconciliation congress is:

• To inform the public about the outcome of the Somali National Reconciliation

Conference that took place in Kenya in 2002/4. In this regard particular

attention will be given to the meaning of the transitional period and the

transitional federal charter.

• To achieve inter and intra clan; genuine reconciliation and forgiveness and

the cancellation of our traumatized memories of the civil war.

• Establish and advise on a mechanism for the return of properties to their

rightful owners through the legal system.

There is one question I am asked time and time again. Namely: what are we going to

do about the Islamic courts? Let me address this issue as clearly as I can. The

Islamic courts as an organization is no longer. We have nothing against negotiating

with anyone as long as the objective of such negotiation is the advancement of

peace in Somalia. We hear about the existence of moderate elements in the Islamic

Courts. I say: tell us where they are and we shall seek them out and talk to them and

try to bring them into the fold.

The only conditions we put on anyone who is interested in dealing with us are to lay

down their weapons, renounce violence and show commitment to peace and respect

of the law. We will not talk to armed groups who are bent on destroying the peace

and stability we are seeking.

The future.

As stated in the Transitional Charter, the commission will draft a new constitution that

will form the cornerstone of the democratic governance the TFG is working to

establish in Somalia. This constitution will be written and agreed upon before the end

of the transitional period.

The writing of the constitution will be followed by a popular referendum to approve it.

It is very important that this process is not only transparent and credible, but also

based on the will of the people. Once the constitution is passed, the government will

prepare the country for a free general election.

Although these steps are important for the political process and the strengthening of

peace and reconciliation, it is important that the institutions of government are also

built. These institutions are the engine that allows the state to function. Without these

institutions, it would be difficult for the government to function properly.

While the government will not spare any effort to rebuild the institutions of

government, there is also a role for the international community to play. As I have

said previously, Somalia is coming out of a terrible conflict that has destroyed the

socio-politico-economic structure of society. We hope and expect that the

international community will contribute towards the creation and functioning of these

institutions. The international community can help us not only with financial

assistance but also expertise, training and capacity building.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

There is a real opportunity to restore peace and good

governance in Somalia. This will be achieved by a process owned by the Somali

people. But for it to succeed the international community must be involved. We hope

the United Kingdom will lead the world in this endeavour.

Let me conclude by saying that Somalia has seen better and more peaceful days. It

has also seen a democratic system of government. I am sure it can be turned around, and it is my aim to make Somalia peaceful enough for democracy to flourish

once more. I hope we can count on your support.

Thank you.

Tahliil   

They should start first by cleaning up the dead bodies off of the streets....Human meat, flesh and bones displayed on every corner street...in Hamar...before they unleash the tigrayna mercy mission...or whatever the talking points are..

These people are living in lalaland. First they unleash turmoil on innocent people, destroy properties worth millions, and take away precious lives. Then they talk about nation building and peace. The only thing that should take place is a trial, Gedi, Yusuf and their Ethiopian Master will be held responsible for their actions.