Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

AU Road Map for Peace in Somalia

This is another good news brother Toure.

Cadaani oo taageray shirka

25 May 25, 2008 - 7:37:46 AM

Maalgeliyihii Maxkamadihii Islaamiga ahaa Xaaji Abuukar Cumar Caddaan oo haanta ku sugan dalka Jabuuti ayaa shaaciyay inuu taageersan yahay shirka Jabuuti ee u dhexeeya DF iyo mucaaradkeeda.

Ganacsade Abuukar Cumar Caddaan oo ku socda gaariga curyaamiinta ayaa daboolka ka qaaday in dadaallada nabadeed ee ka socda Jabuuti ay yihiin kuwo in la soo dhaweeyo mudan, isla markaana uu isagu taageerayo.

"Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed, waa mas'uul ummadda Somaliyeed danaheeda ka talinaya,wuxuuna dadaal ugu jiraan sidii loo dhameyn lahaa khilaafaadyada ragaadiyay Somalia sida dagaallada iyo kala fikir duwanaashaha" ayuu yiri Xaaji Abuukar Cumar Caddaan.

Abukar Caddan, wuxuu gashaanka ku dhuftay jiritaanka warar dhawaanahaan ay faafhiyeen warbaahinta Somalida qaarkeed; kuwaasoo sheegayay in Xaaji Abuukar iyo Sheekh Shariif Sheekh Axmed uu soo dhexgalay khilaaf aad u xooggan.

"Aniga iyo Sheekh Shariif ma jiro khilaaf noo dhexeya, weligenna iskuma qaban arrin, waayo Sheekh Shariif waa nin ehlu diin ah oo aan jeclayn in qof Soomaali ah uu ka sheegto ama uu dhibo" ayuu yiri Xaaji Abuukar Cumar Caddaan oo ahaa ganacsadihii maalgeliyay Maxkamadaha; isagoo intaas ku daray: "Sheekh Shariif waa ruux baal dahab ah ka galay taariikhda Somalida, waana ruux ay Somali oo dhan isha ku hayso".

Sidoo kale Ganacsade Abukar Caddaan, wuxuu daboolka ka qaaday inaysan jirin dhexdhexaadin uu ka dhex sameeyay Sheekh Shariif Sh. Axmed iyo Sheekh Xasan Daahir Aweys oo ka tirsan Isbahaysiga Asmara, iyadoo wararkaas ay baahiyeen sida uu sheegay Xaaji Abuukar Cadaan warbaahinta Somalida qaarkeed.

"Ma jiro dhexdhexaadin aan ka sameeyay Isbahaysiga Asmara xubnahooda sarsare ee is qabqabsiga uu u dhexeeyo, waayo anigu ma ihi xubin ka tirsan Isbahaysiga mana ogeyn khilaafka mas'uuliyiinta ururkaas halka uu ka billowday" ayuu yiri mar kale Ganacsade Abuukar Cumar Caddaan.

Xaaji Abuukar Cumar Caddaan oo ah ganacsade si weyn looga yaqaan Somalia ayaa ku sugan dalka Jabuuti, isagoo halkaas dagay markii ay sii daayeen ciidamada Kenyan ah oo ka qabtay xadka dalkaas 2007, markaasoo la saaray Maxkamad laguna waayay eedeyntii loo haystay oo ahayd inuu ka tirsan yahay Maxkamadaha Islaamiga ah.

Garowe Online, Muqdisho

Abtigiis   

^ Xaaji Caddani is a prudent and pious man of immense stature. He sure matters and if he thinks the Sheikh will acheive something with his optimism, I for one, welcome it.

Now that the division I feared has materialised, I won't jump the gun. Let us see what the 'pacifist' wing can deliver. I will not wish them failure just becuase that will dent my earlier lamentations and self-affirmations. The Somali people are more important than winning debates, and if I am forced to eat back my words, because the talks yield results beneficial to the suffering Somali's, it is a huge honour for me. Let us hope my mordacious navel-gazing will finally be wrestled to the ground.

Having said that I can also see long knives are out of their shades from all sides; and expect heads to roll this week. Which faction's decree of firing the other matters is what I am eager to see. Fingers crossed, but I think in the end, this development hearalds the fragmentation of ideologies and antagonists in the somali conflict rather than a coalescing of divergent ideas. It is a detrop.

The wrost spoliers will be Ethiopians who will see this as a product of their hard-hitting military strategies. They might opt to continue with more stick than carrot. I know they will do!

Somalia peace talks to re-start on Saturday

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Somali faction leaders must drop their "winner-takes-all" approach if they are to move towards ending 18 years of civil war when fledgling peace talks restart in Djibouti this weekend, an envoy said on Wednesday.

A U.N. Security Council delegation is expected to swing through Djibouti early next week "in a show of interest and concern" designed to boost the peace process, the U.N. envoy to Somalia, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, told Reuters.

Djibouti is the first stop on an African mission that will also take it to regional hot-spots such as Sudan, Chad and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

"Before going to Djibouti, I have met with Somalis from the transitional government and the Alliance for Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) and other Somalis from the diaspora, and I told them the time has come for them to seek a way to renounce the attitude of winner-takes-all," Ould-Abdallah said.

"I reminded them to compromise and I am happy that based on religious and political principles they have accepted to meet (from May 31) to stop the suffering of their population."

Ould-Abdallah is trying to kickstart mediation between the government and opposition in one of Africa's most intractable conflicts. Peace talks resume on Saturday.

He urged Somalis to respond to the Security Council delegation's visit "by showing leadership, responsibility and caring for their population."

"The Security Council is not coming to negotiate," he said. "It is very important that permanent members of the Security Council ... are there to listen, to try to understand but also to show support and concern."

Ould-Abdallah brought some representatives of Somalia's western-backed government and an opposition umbrella group together for first contacts in Djibouti earlier this month.

But hardline opposition figures, including Islamist insurgent leaders in Somalia, said such mediation efforts would go nowhere until Ethiopian troops backing the government leave.

"BAD DAYS"

In the latest cycle of conflict dominating Somalia since the 1991 toppling of a dictator, Ethiopian and government troops kicked an Islamist movement out of Mogadishu in late 2006.

That sparked an Iraq-style insurgency against the Ethiopians -- viewed by many in Somalia as an occupying force -- and some attacks too on African peacekeepers from Uganda and Burundi.

"I think Somalia has been at war for so long that they don't see that a major problem now is trust," Ould-Abdallah said of the difficulty of bringing Somali leaders together.

Despite U.N. hopes, analysts say a meaningful peace pact looks impossible given opposition divisions and the presence of Ethiopian troops.

"The present is bleak, it is dark ... Somalia has been through bad days," acknowledged Ould-Abdallah, who like most Somalis is a Muslim and quoted verses from the Koran to stress some points.

"(But) I am sure good days will come."

Source: Reuters, May 28, 2008

Abtigiis   

Xiin

Hadiyada saaxiib waa lagaa gudoomay. Aad iyo aad ayaad u mahadsantahay. I recongnised a yound Dr. Cabdul-majid Xussen in the video. Sad, he has died not liked by many among his people in Somali region. But no doubt he was a good Somali. He made some tragic mistakes, though. Laakiin nin rag ah ayuu ahaa. He was very powerful in his capacity; not like the sycophant Mohamud Dirir (aan micno laheyn).

I see I am exhibiting the fervent idealism of those days, but let us see what successive generations can achieve to rekindle the dream of Somaliweyn. I can see where you are coming from. When you see younger people trekking the same disastrous roads the past generation trekked on, you have a legitimate cause for concern. And hence, war ka daaya!

A & T, waan ku maqlayyaa, loud and clear, saaxiib!

Adiga waxaa lagaa rabaa inaadan Shariifkan iga taaban intuu nabadda ka shaqaynayyo...

Haddii shirku guuleysto, i know you will change your mind and accept the outcome of these talks. laakiin intaan laga gaarinba wax conclusion.

It's very important for your to realize that khilaafka la sheegayyaa waa very minimal, and these leaders will in the end come together.

Abtigiis   

Xiinoow

Waan ka baxay Sheekhaa arimihiisa. Saakaan wax tuur tuuraye la soco wax cusub ma ahee, hadaad wax aragtid! :D

Waan ka war sugi nabada! Adi unbaan ku aaminay e wax ii muuqdaa majiraan hadda.

^^This is for you A & T;

=================================================

Source: United Nations Political Office for Somalia

Date: 28 May 2008

Letter to the members of the Somali Diaspora

I last wrote to you all before the first Somali talks in Djibouti which took place from May 10 – 16 2008. In view of your tremendous contribution to Somalia’s economy and support and involvement in Somalia, I felt it was my duty to continue to keep you updated on current progress.

I was extremely pleased by the widespread, positive reaction from the Diaspora to the first phase of the Djibouti talks which demonstrated your commitment to peace, security and stability.

I am writing to you all once again on the eve of the second meeting to demonstrate the importance that I attach to the views of the Diaspora, both from the young and older generations.

I have noted that when it comes to discussing peace in Somalia, many countries look to the past and emphasize only conflict and fighting. They have not noticed that the attitude of Somalis is changing. Of course there may be problems on the way but they can be overcome. I would like to point out that during the last talks, the Somali parties attended on time, with the limited number of participants requested and issued a responsible statement at the end.

These achievements are only the beginning. The process may create strains in some circles of Somali society but peace should prevail between brothers, depending on the wisdom and patriotism of Somalis both inside and outside the country.

This upcoming gathering in Djibouti will have two components:-

1. Phase two of the talks which will again have a restricted number of Somali participants and be of limited duration starting on May 31.

2. Visit of the UN Security Council to Djibouti from June 2 - 3. I had invited the Security Council members to visit Mogadishu to see the situation in Somalia for themselves but I regret they were unable to come due to the insecurity. Instead they will be visiting Djibouti to talk to the Somali parties, civil society and other stakeholders about the current situation. This is part of their extended tour of Africa which will also take in countries such as Sudan, Chad, Congo and the Ivory Coast.

As previously, I am sure as patriotic Somalis, you will provide us with full support for reconciliation in your country which is crucial for the success of your peacemaking work.

Yours Faithfully

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah

Source

edit; A & T, I am begining to form a positive oponion on you. In your cyber exchanges, talk peace instead of war. Of course when good Sheekh says we will go to war, we must be ready to heed his call :D ...

As the prospect of peace in Somalia looms near, Diaspora pens start to spill inks and editorialize framework of dialogue and strategy of cooperation.

I have not read the whole article through but this author’s brief write-up and Hiiraan Online’s previous editorials suggest that a critical mass in the Diaspora has come to the conclusion that they will be more effective if they encourage and facilitate peace, and not a continuous war. And that my good freinds could only be a good thing.

================================================

Eighteen -Point Reconciliation Proposal for Somalia

An Open Letter to the TFG / ARS / SRSG / Security Council & the Somali People

by Abdirashid Khalif Hashi

Friday, May 30, 2008

Preamble

The root causes of most of the Somalia problems, as well as the exacerbating factors of the current crises, have to do with the absence of peace among Somalis. Genuine political compromise is the only way out for Somalia. In order to halt the unfolding tragedy in Somalia, the following eighteen-point peace plan presents reasonable and practical reconciliation roadmap. This proposal takes into account not only the immediate political needs of the TFG and the Alliance but also the neglected “normalcy needs” of the Somali people.

I request the leadership of the TFG and the Alliance as well as the SRSG, the Members of the Security Council, the Somali people and the international community at large to consider this peace proposal. I encourage all Somalis to put forth their vision for Somalia

The Rationale

Whereas the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and the Alliance of the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) are the two most organized and internationally (and nationally recognized) political actors in Somalia;

Noting that the TFG and the Alliance accepted to participate in the upcoming reconciliation talk to be help in Djibouti in the last week of May 2008 - organized by the United Nations;

Convinced that durable peace could ONLY be attained in Somalia through a negotiated settlement that produces a win-win situation or at least an acceptable outcome for the TFG and the Alliance;

Cognizant that neither the TFG nor the Alliance (despite their rhetoric) has a clear mandate to govern from the Somali people and that the reason the two entities have their current dominant position in Somalia is due to their war-making capabilities;

Recalling that Somalia has had since 1991, a half a dozen interim and transitional governments who, at the end of their mandate, left a more muddy political scene;

Convinced that establishing, yet again, another prolonged transitional period for incompatible political actors, (i.e. the TFG and the Alliance) could be a recipe for unnecessary and avoidable political quagmire,

Underlining the fact that Somalia went through two-decades of turmoil and that it is a moral responsibility to address the root causes as well as the aggravating factors of the current crises;

The following eighteen-point peace plan is proposed. It attempts to address the needs of the current political actors but also tries to lay the foundation a new Somalia where the Somali people decide the future of their country.

The Plan:

Stabilize the Situation & Let Somali People Decide Through Free & Fair Election

There should be an immediate ceasefire throughout Somalia. The TFG and the Alliance should also commit themselves to a non-violent politics where all differences are solved through dialogue or the ballot box,

It is clear to many that it will rather be difficult for the TFG and the Alliance to form a workable / coalition government where these archenemies govern side-by-side. The ongoing escalation of violence in Mogadishu attests to this sad reality. It is also a fact that the TFG and the Alliance are important political actors whose stabilization in the current political scene of Somalia is indispensable, since they are the most organized political actors in the country. Hence, there should be a compromise solution where the two sides could cooperate (and somewhat) share power in the remaining year and half of the TFG mandate. To overcome this challenge - that is, enabling irreconcilable camps to form a workable partnership):

The TFG and the Alliance should co-select an independent / non-aligned / non-partisan Prime Minister and a lean cabinet. This will be a technocrat Caretaker Administration. The main responsibility of this caretaker government shall be to stabilize the situation, act as the executive organ of the state, represent Somalia in the international scene and work with the United Nations. The selection criteria for the cabinet members of the caretaker government shall be merit and not clan affiliation. The caretaker cabinet shouldn’t be no more than eleven members including the Prime Minister and their mandate shall end by August 2009; furthermore they should not run for office in the election of 2009,

The TFG and the Alliance shall jointly appoint interim judges of the Supreme Court. The term of this provisional Supreme Court shall end after a national election in 2009. This highly qualified neutral and agreed-upon High Court shall arbitrate all legal disputes between the government camps (the TFG and the Alliance),

In order to end the current situation where everyone is at liberty to issue all sorts of fatwas, a national Mufti / religious leader or religious council shall be agreed by the TFG and the Alliance (as well as other concerned Somalis). The role of the national Mufti / religious Council shall be advancing the peace and to be the voice of Islam in Somalia - not the voice of one religious group – but that of the whole country,

The TFG and the Alliance shall accept in principle the creation of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which shall commence its work right after the peace pact. This National Commission shall investigate all atrocities and human rights abuses that took place in Somalia and the Commission shall present its findings to the elected Parliament (in 2009 / 2010) who shall decide the next steps,

There should be a UN managed national ELECTION in Somalia. This election should take place at the end of the mandate of the TFG (August 2009). The efforts of the international community should aim at facilitating a free and fair election in Somalia. Rewarding gun-totting men with national political power is what created much of the ongoing and prolonged mayhem in Somalia. Free and Fair election is the oft-ignored but easy and achievable solution for much of the Somalia crises,

There should be a UN Peace Building Mission for Somalia and the international community shall organize a donor conference for Somalia. The UN Peace Building Mission should support the work of the Caretaker government (particularly the demobilizing and reintegration of militias) as well as recovery and reconstruction work of the subsequent elected government,

All the TFG Members of Parliament whose membership was revoked should be reinstated including the former Speaker of the Parliament who should assume his post until the election of 2009;

The Constitution of Somalia (adopted on July 1, 1960) shall be used until the Somali people elect their leaders and decide whether they want to keep using that Constitution or introduce another one. The Constitution of 1960 addresses the aspirations of democratically or Islamically inclined Somalis. Every Somali should read and re-read this neglected national treasure. http://www.benadir-watch.com/Constitution1960.pdf

Until the national election, the TFG President should continue his post as the President of the Republic; he should exercise ONLY the powers outlined in the 1960 Constitution;

The seat of the TFG President and that of the Parliament should be in Baidoa; the Caretaker Council of Minister shall operate out of Mogadishu and may have secondary offices in Baidoa;

Until the 2009 election, a governor appointed by the Alliance and agreed by the TFG should manage Mogadishu & its environs – under the authority of the Caretaker administration;

The President, the Prime Minister and a Representative appointed by the Alliance shall form a National Leaders Forum where important POLITCAL issues and new appointments are discussed and compromise is sought. Issues the Leaders Forum could not agree on maybe be referred to the Supreme Court – to mediate and if not successful to render its judgments which shall be final and binding;

A 5000 strong International Stabilization Force, preferably from the Arab and Muslim states – under the auspices of the United Nations - should be deployed to Somalia. The International Stabilization Force shall work with and under the authority of the Caretaker Prime Minister and his Council of Ministers,

Within four weeks of the signing of peace agreement between the TFG and the Alliance, all Ethiopian military and security personal must leave the Somali Republic. Somalis, particularly the Alliance and their associates must give the Ethiopians a safe passage and the international community must verify and guarantee the total withdrawal of the Ethiopian forces; Ethiopia should pledge not to reinvade Somalia, Somali parties must commit themselves to a non-aggression policy towards Ethiopia,

During the four weeks that the International Stabilization Force are arriving in Somalia, the Ugandan and Burundi contingents may be deployed to Baidoa and Beli-dogle Airbase to safeguard the TFG President / Parliament, as soon as the International Stabilization Forces arrives, the Ugandan and Burundi contingents shall depart from Somalia;

Both the Alliance and the TFG must demobilize all their militias; each group should transfer to the Caretaker government 3000 future soldiers / police officers;

The retrained and amalgamated 6000-strong former TFG / Alliance security personnel / militia shall form as the national police / security forces and shall work under the authority of the Caretaker Government;

Somali groups and individuals who are interested in political power particularly the TFG and Alliance members should renounce violence as a means to gain power and should join or form political parties;

The TFG and the ARS shall denounce and oppose all forms of terrorism; the parties should also commit not to equate Islam and citizen’s legitimate political positions with terrorism and the issues relating to terrorism shall be addressed by the ELECTED Government that shall take power after the 2009 election;

The TFG and the Alliance should accept the UN as the lead agency in the mediation / recovery / rebuilding efforts. The Security Council shall be the GARANTOR of this peace accord. The caretaker cabinet shall be designated as the Somali counterpart to the international community / UN / Security Council,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abdirashid K Hashi is a Somali-Canadian writer.

Formerly, Secretary to the Somali Council of Ministers &

Deputy Chief Cabinet, Somali Prime Minister’s Office - TNG

pics of peace...

=========================================

Isbah.jpg

Sh. Sharif, our fearless leader, with his team

Yuusuf.jpg

The old man with his team

Jabuuti1.jpg

C/raxmaan C/shakuur Warsame, Courts Press Sec, breifing the public

Jangali-AxmedAsalaan.jpg

Jangali & Ina Abdi Salaan

Dileyte-SC.jpg

UN SC

Dileyte-AbdullhiYusuf.jpg

Yusuf with Jabbuuti FM, Dileyte.

N.O.R.F   

A timetable ya Xiin, a timetable.

Somalia: Islamists Demand Timetable

The main Islamist opposition group in Somalia told a delegation from the United Nations Security Council that it would not participate in direct talks with Somalia’s government unless a timetable was created for the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops from the country. But Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, Somalia’s president, told the Security Council team that is in Djibouti to encourage peace negotiations among the warring factions in Somalia that the United Nations must first deploy peacekeepers before Ethiopian troops withdraw.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/world/africa/03briefs-ISLAMISTSDEM_BRF.html?ref=africa