Sign in to follow this  
Amistad

Ahlusunnah Waljama'a Network

Amistad   

in Somalia. Hello, just wanted to introduce myself, as I am new to the board, an American with a Somali wife. I am trying to research this group

Ahlusunnah Waljama'a Network, in hopes of involving them in an up and coming project we are submitting to the govts of Somalia. Since I dont read or write Somali or Arabic it has been difficult, though I did spend a number of years in Saudi Arabia and have lived on the Somali Border in Djibouti two years and have been to Hargeisa and driven to Berbera from there.

As I am trying to get some solid information on this group I was wondering if some of you here from the board could answer some basic questions.

Thanks in advance for participating smile.gif

What is the TFGs opinion of Ahlusunnah Waljama'a Network?

Ive read from some Jihadi watch groups that this group has been linked to terrorism "persons of interest", would you consider them a terrorist organization and why?

Does the US/UK consider them a Terrorist Organization?

They are obviously fighting Hizbul Islam and Al Shabab. Does this mean they would be considered "moderate" Muslims?

Why are they fighting Shabab & H.I. ?

What is this groups goals in Somalia.

Amistad   

I would appreciate actively engaging anyone here on an open debate on this subject.

Or are you somehow Clan or Tribaly biased, racially conflicted or just plain ******.

Your silence does not speak any words?

lool ,,,

I think some people here don't like your work to put a project for the TFG ,, coz they just hate it :D

You need an insider to answer some of the questions ,,, I'm sure some members have answers regarding the government's position towards this Ahlusunnah network.

I don't believe they are terrorists or can be linked to terrorists coz they are simply Sufis and do not belong to that idea of terrorizing people.

Their fight against Alshabaab & HI is coz of ideological difference .... and this has been happening throughout the history in some other areas of the Muslim world.

If the TFG has a brain they would utilize this network and use them against Alshabaab .....

Xaq   

I'm not an insider. All I can give you are the things that I have gathered from the Somali news sources over the last couple of years.

The TFG looks upon Ahlu-Sunnah quite favourably. They are desperate for any support against shabab and h/i.

The TFG would like Ahlu Sunna to formely join the government. However, this will not be happening any time soon. The TFG is extremely weak, fractured and incompetent.

would you consider them a terrorist organization and why?

These people are mainly locals that live in central Somalia (mainly Galgaduud region). They are a very localized group. Therefore, they don't appear to have any broader goals beyond Somalia.

They don't commit suicide bombings or anything of that nature. They are not a terrorist group.

No. the group is not on the terror list in the US or UK. Ahlu Sunna is armed and funded by the Ethiopian government. The ahlu sunna leader was in Adis Ababa a few days ago talking with the Ethiopian foreign minister. Ethiopia is the US's designated sherrif in the Horn of Africa region. Therefore, the fact that they are arming Ahlu Sunna means that they are not considered terrorists by the US or UK.

Plus, the number 1 enemy of the US in Somalia is al-shabab. Anyone who is fighting them is considered a moderate.

They are fighting shabab and h/i because of clan and religious differences. Ahlu sunna are sufis and therefore they are targets of the shabab. If the shabab took over, they would not be able to practice their traditions.

Another reason is that Ahlu Sunna knows that they can get backing from the ethiopians who see the border areas as a buffer zone. Therefore, Ahlu Sunna knows it can hold off the shabab.

What is this groups goals in Somalia

At the moment their aims appear to be localized in nature. They are just trying to stop the al-shabab from taking over their towns. Their goals may become more expansive if they are successful against the shabab.

Mr Amistad

Could you be kind enough to enlighten us on the sort of things your upcoming project may entail as we or at least I certainly am not yet convinced that you are a random American who happen to be looking for answers.

I have come across other characters that join Somali discussion Boards in Hopes of understanding Clan politics for some strange reason but Not yet have I come to see someone inquiring on the various Religious faction groups in Somalia.

It would help a lot if you could give us an insight to what you have gathered on Ahlu Sunna WalJameeca thus far so we know were to start off from and also elaborate on your intensions so we know you are genuine.

Raamsade   

Originally posted by Amistad:

The current of frame of mind of the TFG is: the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Since they're literally on the ropes, they'll be happy to have any allies. On that basis they deem Ahlu Sunnah waljameeca as allies in a existential war of annihilation. That said, the TFG is apprehensive of the Ahlu Sunnah's independence as that could cause problems in the future. Assuming the TFG survives, of course.

Ive read from some Jihadi watch groups that this group has been linked to terrorism "persons of interest", would you consider them a terrorist organization and why?

No. I'm unaware of any terrorists among them and haven't seen any evidence whatsoever. You have to remember that Ahlu Sunnah waljameeca are Sufis (a minority group that is despised by mainstream muslims and persecuted throughout history) whereas all the Islamic terrorists are of Salafi persuasion.

But I can see why Jihad watch groups maybe wary of 'em because while Ahlu Sunnah waljameeca is certainly more "moderate" than the Salafi death groups (alqaida, taliban, alshabaab etc)... they're still avowed Muslims who assert the superiority of Sharia with all that it entails.

No.

They are obviously fighting Hizbul Islam and Al Shabab. Does this mean they would be considered "moderate" Muslims?

I hope so. Their resistence to Salafism indicates that not all Somali Muslims are on board with Alshabaab's Jihad and Sharia non-sense.

What is this groups goals in Somalia.

Allahu yaclam.