Sign in to follow this  
Meiji

Clan-Based Islamist Warlordism

Meiji   

Those with foresight could have seen the writings on the wall as early as feb.2006 when the Islamic courts fought the warlords in Mogadishu.

What happened was not the complete defeat of warlordism in Somalia, but a complete transformation of the warlordism as we knew it pre-2006.

I opposed the Islamic courts (superficial)agenda as early as feb 2006, and understood how their victory would not only lead to unimagined suffering for those who already have suffered under the anarchy and warlordism but would also start a long period of Islamist-warlordism in which the courts would fracture along clan-lines and interpretation of our religion.

Many people would try to persuade me by arguing that the Courts were the ''best alternative'' compared to the then existing factions. And to this day, I always replied with: ''Judge factions on their own merit and political agenda, not by comparision to more evil entities''.

You can oppose evil by its own potential or actual destructive tendencies, without comparison to other evils which forces people to chose for the ''lesser evil'' (a fallacy).

-------------------------------------------------

end-2009: 3 years after Islamic Courts victory in Mogadishu/Somalia

Welcome to the age of Clan-Based Islamist-Warlordism...and today's supporters of the current warlord entities are no different than yesterday's supporters of the previous warlords. Todays supporters of the ''Islamic government'' (TFG-part 2) are no different than the previous supporters of the previous foreign-created regime's.

If only people preserved their consistency..

http://allafrica.com/stories/200910270939.html

me   

Meiji with his baseless propaganda again.

The insiders in Somali politics know what is happening today in Somalia is far from clan politics. The wadaado have transcended clannism. The enemies of Somalia want to use the same old tricks of divide and conquer and Meiji wants to peddle them here. Somalia is one and the Somali’s fighting for xaq are one.

It is the TFG, SL, PL and other wannabe ‘states’ that uphold clannism today.

Regurgitating propaganda that the wadaado are clannist hasn’t worked before and it will not work now.

Meiji not that long ago you started a thread criticizing the ONLF leadership and you blamed them for their use of the name O’gadeeniye.

What compels you to stand againt anything that is in the interest of the Somali people?

Why do you criticize the wadaado who are fighting for Somalia’s liberation? And why are you stumm about the killing of Somali civilians by AMISOM?

Why are you critisising the ONLF for a thing so silly as the name of the region, while you ignore the mass murder that the Habashi’s are committing?

There is either a serious flaw in your logic or you are against anything that is in the interest of the Somali people.

Meiji   

Who are the socalled ''wadaado''?

Is it Sh.Sharif? Is it Sh.Aweys? Is it Sh.Godane, is it Sh.Macow? Is it anybody with claims to ''clerical status''?

Who exactly falls under your category ''wadaado''.

That alone shows that those who were seen as the ''wadaado'' are deeply fractured and already show warlord tendencies.

Clannism is very much alive, and even the socalled ''wadaado'' have come to terms with it and are heavily engaged in its manipulation in support of their struggle for political power.

If we look at the socalled Islamic administrations the various Islamist factions have established in Southern Somalia, we can clearly see how they are manipulating clan dynamics.

- In Banadir, both Xisbi Islam and Alshabab have named their ''governor'' from the reer Matan, who make a claim on the region. Surely, they must have done this to give their ''administration'' some sort of legitimacy and support from those that are perceived as majority in that region. A classic Maqaar-saar tactic that undoubtedly played its part in their struggle.

- In Baay/Bakool, the previous RRA administration is just replaced by an Alshabab administration led by men who clan-wise hail from that region.

- In Lower Jubba, we have all witnessed the conlict between the two factions who were allied in their struggle. That conflict showed two things: it is about MONEY AND CLAN.

- In Hiiraan, we have socalled Islamic administrations on both sides of the river who are not united.

- In M.Shabelle, we have a socalled administration that is composed of men who first were members of ICU and are clan-wise from the region.

Lastly, we have all heard Godane's speech in which he praised certain Somali groups who were instrumental in winning some battles in Ceelbuur (Galgaduud), and Dayniile (Banadir). More importantly, we are all aware of the ''peace agreement'' Alshabab entered with a dominant clan from Hiiraan.

Clan-based Islamist warlordism presents the prospect of localized power centers dominated by military leaders with clerical claims who preside over Shari'a courts in the name of sub-clan identification.

-------

Lastly,

As I said, evaluate factions on their own merit. Your reference to massacres done by AMISOM or Ethiopia is irrelevant to me, since I'm known for my equal opposition to the foreign-created regime and Ethiopian massacre of Somali civilians. EVIL = EVIL, it would be hypocritical to condemn one evil and condone the other evil.

The ONLF topic is still open, and I brought forward an interesting and strong argument that hopefully forces those who support the liberation organization to be more consistent in their admirable struggle to liberate Somali lands from more than a half century Ethiopian occupation.

We can discuss that issue (the name of the region) in that topic.

Somalia is one and the Somali’s fighting for xaq are one.

...interesting how ONLF and ''wadaado'' (Alshabab in Somalia, and other Islamist party iN Ethiopia) clashed many times despite the fact that they are both fighting for ''xaq'' and against the same enemy: Ethiopia.

...more interesting how Xisbi Islam and Alshabab clashed in Kismaanyo despite fighting against the same enemy and fighting supposedly for ''xaq''.

Lets not close our eyes from the facts on the ground and lets not shy away from critical evaluation of our situation..especially after the spontaneous mass support the ''wadaado'' received in 2006 turned sour (warlordism v2.0).

Lets not repeat the same mistakes, and be more critical of factions and their supposed agenda.

alshabaab is not a clan based organization. it's an armed takfiiri group with global ambitions.they did not fight for clannish interests neither do they uphold tribal majesty.

To assert such nonsense is to misunderstand the theological perils this group pose. Perhaps Meiji is fuiled by Micheal's broken thesis that attempted to shed light on the conflict of Kismayo.

me   

Meiji,

As Somali's we all have clans. I suspect that if you are a Somali, that you too have a clan.

Being born a Somali from a certain clan does not make someone clannist. Clannism is a political ideology and the wadaado have shown us that Clannism is not their ideology.

You claimed that the wadaado are clannists, I ask you now, PROVE IT.

Don't try to get away with cheap excuses like, hebel is from such and such clan, or they are located in such and such town. So what if a certain group of wadaado are located in town X, or so what of their leader is born into a certain clan? After all that town is a Somali town, that man is a Somali man.

Finally

What gives you the right to call anyone clannist? I think that you can also be accused of clannism if we were to use your logic.

Somalia will become strong again, despite all the people who are standing in the way of our freedom.

The ONLF will not stop for individuals who rather focus on silly things like a regions name instead of lending support to the brave people of O-gadeeniya who are fighting the worst kind of oppression.

Kamaavi   

If ONLF is clannist for fighting second strongest army of Africa which has support of most world super powers and at the same time numero one enemy to Somali men and women except a few pay outs, then I would say let it be. No body will ever waste his two minutes just to re-enlight a baised arguemnet which have been buried long time ago.

If there are no other successful Somali political organization willing to take the fight against agressions of Absinnyia led by a minority Tigre Agame regime, why oppose, or abduct or accuse the few men and women who are in the midle of their strugle trying their best in liberating their fathers' land?

That is just beyond being irresponsible...

Meiji   

Me,

The Islamist warlord factions are gradually been drawn into clan-structured Somali society and already we can see that they are relying on clan bases for their struggle: Raas Kamboni/Canoole as case in points.

Dont become the opposite of NGONGE and argue ''CLAN IS NOTHING''.

Also, it is clear to all that the Islamist warlord factions are manipulating clan loyalties as was shown by the previous illustration of the governors they named for particular regions.

Lastly,

There is no doubt that Somalia will be strong again, but for that to happen we need to evaluate our past mistakes and work towards the future. There is no point in denying basic facts on the ground or in shying away from critical analysis of political factions.

As for the ONLF discussion, lets continue that in the appropriate topic.

PS: Do not put my Somaliness in question. If there is anyone who should be doubted, it surely is those that want to turn our country in a Kilinka 6-aad or an Afganistan.

me   

Meiji,

Clan is a part of the social landscape of todays Somalia, any group that wants to bring change in Somalia whether positive or negative has to acknowledge that and use the clan system to their advantage.

The enemies of Somalia do not shy away from manipulating clan sentiments. Why should they use our social system against us? Clan is a part of Somalia's current social organization and the sentiments of clan should be used for positive change in Somalia.

Clans must be recognized and subordinated to the national interests of our nation.

The fact that the wadaado have recognized this fact does not mean they are clannists, it means that they understand Somalia's problems and that they are on the right path for solving those problems.

We should not walk away from the clan system so that the enemies of our nation can use it against us. Somalinimo does not equal walking away from clan totally, it means understanding the role of clan within the current Somali social system and subordinating the clan to the will of the Nation as a whole.