Sign in to follow this  
Wiilo

SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE PASSES COLEMAN RESOLUTION TO INCREASE U.S. INVOLVE

Wiilo   

SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE PASSES COLEMAN RESOLUTION TO INCREASE U.S. INVOLVEMENT IN SOMALIA

Bipartisan resolution calls on the U.S. to implement a comprehensive strategy to help stabilize the nation

June 29th, 2006 - Washington, D.C. - Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN) praised the passage today by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee of his bipartisan resolution directing the United States to increase its support to the people of Somalia in their efforts to establish a peaceful and stable democracy. The resolution outlines U.S. priorities in Somalia and urges the federal government to adopt a comprehensive strategy to help Somalia overcome decades of violence, neglect and civil strife.

“The resurgence of violence in Mogadishu underscores the need for urgent action, once again focusing international attention on the plight of the Somali people,†Coleman said. “Currently, there is a great reason to believe that the United States involvement in Somalia has been too narrowly focused, though the situation on the ground is very complex. My resolution clarifies that the U.S. should have a broader strategy that works to support our objectives, which includes consolidating democratic governance, addressing humanitarian needs, and preventing Somalia from becoming a safe haven for terrorists.â€

As senator from the state with the largest Somali community in the country, Coleman has become personally involved in dealing with Somali issues. Specifically, Coleman’s resolution:

· Expresses support for a democratic system in Somalia;

· Calls on the U.S. government to develop a comprehensive stabilization and reconstruction strategy that aligns humanitarian, development, economic, political, counterterrorism and regional strategies, which must be presented to Congress within 90 days;

· Urges the U.S. to provide training and support to the Transitional National Government to fight terrorism and extremism in addition to strengthening civil society;

· Calls on the U.S. to send a special envoy to Somalia to help guide and inform U.S. policy on Somalia.

There has been an outbreak in violence recently in Somalia, raising concerns about escalation into a civil war. Since U.S. forces withdrew from Somalia in 1994, the country has struggled with political strife and violence and has failed to establish a permanent government. While a transitional government was assembled in August 2004, escalating tensions between competing groups have undermined its ability to function or even establish itself in the capital city. The State Department’s 2005 Counter Terrorism report states that, “parts of Somalia, which has no functioning central government, have become havens for terrorist and other illicit activities, threatening the security of the whole region.â€

Contact(s):

Leroy Coleman, (202) 224-5641

Calls on the U.S. government to develop a comprehensive stabilization and reconstruction strategy that aligns humanitarian, development, economic, political, counterterrorism and regional strategies, which must be presented to Congress within 90 days;

Interesting....

OLOL   

3 months uncle Yeey is gone and will be out of the scene...what is cooking in Washignton? Karzai of Somalia..already there are rumors everywhere specially in the twin cities. Certain individuals are being groomed for the consolidaton of the TFI and let us not forget EU also has its agenda...the meddling and the pawn mentality is still going on...

^^^You still on that tape, I thought Cadow was the man, as for the next target, let me bring you in, its Marka and lower Shabbele, warlord IndaCade, Cirfo, Dhuxulow and the clan occupation will end soon...Xasan Dahir has ruined the peoples revoloution in Mogadishu,...

Duufaan   

I agree the TNG is strong enough to defend Baydhabo in case of an attack from the court. But what happened the TNG programs.

1) Building national army

2} choosing administration for regions, so far Bay governor was elected

I guest all money is spent accomodating housing and food (qaat) for all these people in Baydhabo. even Caydiid Jr is there now.

me   

I wait and see, no need speculate about uncle sams intentions.

To those people thinking the war has ended or will end soon, wake up!

There will be another Somali-Ethiopian war. Either they will bring to the Somali Republic or we will bring it to them. I suggest you start preparing yourself.

Call me crazy, but they will not stop medling with us and if we want the medling to end we have to fight them plus the issue of western Somalia has not been resolved yet and any Somali government will have to tackle that issue. The courts have made their position on that issue clear. The TFG will not be able to gain Somali respect or be a credible Somali government if they do not speak our against the oppression of fellow Somali in neighbouring countries.

In other words, the Somali wars will not end until Somalia is unified.

Duufaan   

what soamlia_ethiopian war?

Do you think anyone want fight the ethiopian?

why fight ethiopian this time?

the court in reality will not fight anyone else than somalis. At moment the court takes advantges to use the ONLF and some other organisation against moqdisho warlods and use the ethiopian invasion to collect money from Arab public and recruit fighters. So far moqdisho is better of . Somalia need real political solution and now shortest way is a cooperation between TNG and Moqdisho court.

Somali's lets be realistic we can not fight Ethiopia, so lets concentrate on building our country.

The TFG has enough troops the beat these courts, but why fight when the diplomatic oprion is still open.

The TFG long ago asked for support, uncle sam choose instead to support the warlords. Thanks to the courts the TFG now is getting what it required.