Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Astonishing Sentence.........

well to me at least, i was expecting that he would be found guilty under these new law, but 9 years???

------------------------------------------------------

Hate preaching cleric jailed

El-Faisal had denied all the charges against him

A Muslim cleric who urged followers to kill non-believers, Americans, Hindus and Jews has been jailed for nine years.

Jamaican-born Sheik Abdullah el-Faisal, 39, was told he had "fanned the flames of hostility", as Old Bailey judge Peter Beaumont delivered the sentence.

The judge recommended that el-Faisal, from Stratford in east London, should serve at least half of the sentence and then be deported.

El-Faisal - who said it is permissible to use chemical weapons to kill unbelievers - stretched out an arm to a group of around 12 shocked-looking supporters as he was led away.

Outside court, defence lawyer Jerome Lynch QC said there were plans to appeal, adding: "There is a realistic prospect that many Muslims will regard this sentence as harsh, even though they don't share his views."

El-Faisal received seven years for soliciting murder, 12 months to run concurrently for using threatening and insulting words and a further two years - to run consecutively - for using threatening and insulting recordings.

The Muslim cleric - the first to face trial in the UK - was charged after a tape of a lecture he gave was found in a car and others uncovered by police investigating al-Qaeda links in the UK.

'Preached hate'

During the trial el-Faisal argued that his words were taken from the Koran, the Muslim holy book, and that he had been misrepresented.

There are two religions in the world today - the right one and the wrong one. Islam versus the rest of the world

Sheik Abdullah el-Faisal

But the judge said that while Britain prided itself on its freedom of speech, it could not accept it when other people's rights were breached.

He told el-Faisal: "As the jury found, you not only preached hate, but the words you uttered in those meetings were recorded to reach a wider audience.

"You urged those who listened and watched to kill those who did not share your faith."

'Use missiles'

One tape of el-Faisal, titled Jihad, contained the words: "So you go to India and if you see a Hindu walking down the road you are allowed to kill him and take his money, is that clear?"

In a tape called Rules of Jihad, which is thought to have been made before the 11 September 2001 attacks, el-Faisal told his audience: "You have to learn how to shoot.

"You have to learn how to fly planes, drive tanks and you have to learn how to load your guns and to use missiles."

He said: "You are only allowed to use nuclear weapons in that country which is 100% unbelievers."

The jury heard that el-Faisal tried to recruit British schoolboys for terrorist training camps and promised them "seventy-two virgins in paradise", if they died fighting a holy war.

On a tape called Them Versus Us he said: "There are two religions in the world today - the right one and the wrong one. Islam versus the rest of the world."

'Not malicious'

Defence lawyer Jerome Lynch QC, said it was unfair that people such as controversial cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri had been seen by police and not brought to court like el-Faisal.

He was actively urging young people to commit murder

Peter Clarke - Scotland Yard Anti Terrorist Branch

Abu Hamza - who was dropped as a defence witness after a police raid on Finsbury Park mosque - told the judge in a pre-trial hearing that he had been seen seven times by Special Branch.

Mr Lynch said of el-Faisal: "This was a man who, although misguided, was not malicious."

He said el-Faisal had helped young people, including drug addicts, in inner cities.

But David Perry, prosecuting, said the el-Faisal was a "fanatic and extremist" who had tried to save himself by claiming the Koran was on trial.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke from Scotland Yard's Anti Terrorist Branch said: "El-Faisal's speeches were designed to do more than stir up racial hatred. He was actively urging young people to commit murder.

"These are extremely serious offences, made even more appalling by his attempt to justify them through the Islamic faith."

-------------------------------------------------------

Now regardless of how you view Shiek Faisal, did anyone really expect that he would be dealt with so severly??

I hope this serves to show ppl that if you are a muslim there is no such thing as freedom of speech, indeed it is an oxymorn as this case has proven.

And that clearly if this is the attitiude of the Judiciary, well then being a muslim you will always be targeted by this society.

Senora   

Honestly Shuijui, i understand what your trying to say, but i don't have a problem with that sentence. The reason is that, i REALLY belive he will be a threat, This man urged others to kill. I dont care what you try and tell me, but unless somone was trying to kill him as well, and was doing so, i dont ever see murder as justifiable! I don't condone other religons, cause its not my place, and it wasn't in his place to do so as well.

I'm sorry but i really belive he is a threat to many people, and this world doesnt need people preaching murder

N.O.R.F   

princess, come on girl, get a grip!

the whole notion of imprisoning one of our brothers was to undermine the muslim ummah in the uk.

have u actually heard what other kafur organisation say in their speaches, such the bnp, the uk hindu society and the jews, until u have heard what the rest say, then u cant judge this brother!!!

ps he may be out in 4.5yrs on good behaviour insha-allah!

Salam Cayalakum Everyone, thx for the replies.

Princess Fair enough.

Northerner i think you understand what i was trying to say, without putting it into your mouths.

"the whole notion of imprisoning one of our brothers was to undermine the muslim ummah in the uk."

Exactly, admitedly i still wouldnt have been suprised if he recieved some kind of custodial sentence, but the length he recieved i think, well it certainly came across to me as a political exercise i.e. If your muslim be on notice that you are considereda threat.

Coz lets face it it is not only muslims who are propagating views that might be considered extreme. I suppose the mistake this brother did was to be so explicit and un compremising in his chosen words.

"have u actually heard what other kafur organisation say in their speaches, such the bnp, the uk hindu society and the jews , until u have heard what the rest say, then u cant judge this brother!!!"

ps he may be out in 4.5yrs on good behaviour insha-allah!

Inshallah bro.

Raage again bro fair enough, like i said i couldnt really agree with the things he was saying. But rember did he do anything more than just speak, adresing ppl in a private talk?? i mean 9 years for speaking???

Thats just not right.

opinionated saxiib you are indeed opinionated. You would lock up a muslim for a longer period than the Kafir sentance? And if your really worried about ppl Painting islam in a bad way, well then just simple tune into your Local News Broadcast, Read your Daily Broad sheet, or just listen to the heads of the varies countries that are currently itching to go to war with iraq and u will be overwhelmed by Propaganda against Islam saxiib.

Ofcourse he's been dealt with severely. 12 years?? Goodness. Rapists get alot less sentence than that.

Opinionated, you don't think it's a bit too much?

If supposedly he said all those things, shouldn't he had be more aware of Britain's constitution about these sort of things b4 preaching?

Exactly Tamina, u can get 2 yrs for drink driving and running over a mother with here 3 yr old, get less custodial time for raping someone, manslaugter etc etc. So how can someone, who hasnt purpetrated any crime of any substance, let alone anything akin to the offence mentioned above be given a lenghtier custodial sentence. I mean it is a joke a sick joke at that

Paragon   

This world is sick to the core. Whoever calls it my lil oister has a big problem coming. The fella didn't deserve to be locked that long. He's become a victim of demo-crazy.

That is an astonishing sentence, especially seeing as armed robbers and peadophiles get shorter sentences.

I guess they are making an example out of him + at the same time paving the way for other Muslims to be convicted this way for saying the wrong things.

Curly   

Do you know what really annoys me is that the “West” has been priding itself in it’s so called “Freedom” for years on end, even with their bloody propaganda infested media but in actual fact they’re worse than those “Dictated” countries whom they are so eager to take out of power. They go around accusing other countries of breaking international human rights laws, but hey why don’t they look closer to home? They might even surprise themselves for a change.

You ALWAYS hear and see how America goes on about it’s freedom of speech and privacy laws but that is so far from the truth, America knows more about it’s citizens than they do about themselves, and when they’re allowed to set up their damned “IAO” and “Star Wars” schemes, there’ll be no where to run or hide.

That’s one reason why I’m happy I’m not an American! And no I’m not proud to be a British citizen, Tony Blair has totally disappointed me (mental note: don’t vote for him again!) anyways getting back to Tony Blair… that guy should have never been in power he’s managed to mess up everything!

He’s put Ken Livingstone in power with his bloody congestion charging and then there’s the whole undergraduate university loans they’ve buggered up!

Oh and how dumb do they think people are, by putting a blind man in the position of home secretary!!! So people can’t argue he’s racist when he makes those racist (or should I say non- PC comments)?

And there’s 101 other things I should mention but I don’t want to be here all day!

Ariadne   

Well so much for freedom of speech. What a sentence!

The world has truly gone mad. One man who owns a restaurant in the southern states(USA) has changed the name of the french fries to freedom fries taking the "french" out of french fries.

Highschool students are being suspended for "terrorist" ideals. one a 15 yr old boy was suspended in Kentucky for wearing a shirt that had a picture of George Bush jr and underneath it said "this is not my president" And a 16 yr old girl was suspended in Michigan for wearing a t-shirt to school that had a picture of George Bush on it and underneath that picture it said "international terorist" She was also visited by the FBI at her home. scary huh :(

-KIWI   

Asalaamu Calaykum

Speaking of rapist ,young Lebanese Muslim boys from Sydney Australia

Were accused of gang raping two Australians and they were sentenced

To 50 years in prison. Now that is an astonishing sentence.

What befuddles me is that child peadophiles don’t receive such harsh

Penalties.

A rapist is a rapist and they should face the toughest punishments.

The only justification for such a heinous act was the boys were Muslims

Scapegoating.

These outrageous opinions provoked attacks on Lebanese Muslim communities

Throughout Australia.

However the Australia media turns a blind eye to the statistics that clearly show

That sexual voilence occurs in all races and rape isnt associated with a particular race.

What is mind blowing is the fact that the word MUSLIM was frequently used to describe

The perpetrators of the crime.Its visible there is a media bias and we are continuously

Reminded that Islam around the world is under intense scruntiny.

• What is mind blowing is the fact that the word MUSLIM was frequently used to describe

The perpetrators of the crime.Its visible there is a media bias and we are continuously

Reminded that Islam around the world is under intense scruntiny.

Not supprised and i think thats what i was trying to get @