Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

US group warns on choice of peacekeepers to Somalia

Jumatatu   

Nairobi, Kenya, 02/11 - The African Union (AU) needs to avoid sending peacekeeping troops from neighbouring states with a history of involvement in Somalia, the US-based International Crisis Group (ICG) has warned the continental body.

"Having Somalia`s neighbours lead and constitute such a force, especially Ethiopia, would be unnecessarily inflammatory and could jeopardise the entire peace process," the ICG said in a statement issued in Nairobi Thursday.

The AU Peace and Security Council has approved the deployment of troops, mainly drawn from the regional Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to join the Somalia peacekeeping mission.

"By forcing the issue at this critical stage, IGAD`s members risk crossing the `Mogadishu Line` where peacekeepers become party to a conflict - as they did during the U.S.-led intervention of the early 1990s," said Matt Bryden, ICG`s Director of the Horn of Africa Project based in Nairobi.

Kenya has stated that it would not send its troops, Although it was willing to send peace monitors to Mogadishu. Authorities in Nairobi argued that sending troops could jeopardise its role as a peace broker in case the soldiers are involved in unbecoming acts.

Last month, the AU accepted in principle the deployment of African troops to Somalia. It then charged IGAD nations with the responsibility of sending initial troops, pending the arrival of the AU troops.

At an emergency meeting in Addis Ababa last week, the AU Peace and Security Council, gave IGAD the green light to send 7,500 troops.

This was in response to a request from Somalia`s interim President to help him return his administration to the war-torn country and disarm its warring factions.

However, the Nairobi-based Somali interim government is reportedly deeply divided over the issue, while the country`s parliament, also still located in the Kenyan capital, has not yet approved any foreign military deployment.

On the other hand, several Somali leaders and armed groups have threatened to oppose such an intervention by force.

A minister in the current cabinet, who is a former warlord has reportedly urged Somalis to attack foreign peacekeepers who will be sent to support the government when it returns home later this month.

The government was formed in exile after last year`s peace accord, which was signed amid a resurgence of violence in Mogadishu.

Osman Ali Atto, the housing minister, particularly urged Somalis to attack troops from Ethiopia, historically a foe of Somalia. This indicated fresh signs of division within the new government headed by President Abdullahi Yusuf, who was elected at the end of peace talks in Kenya.

The ICG advised the AU that troops from Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya should not be part of the proposed peacekeeping force in neighbouring Somalia.

"All seek to project their own strategic interests in Somalia and have backed rival factions during the conflict. Instead, the AU and Arab League should jointly take responsibility for mustering international backing for a broad-based peace support operation in Somalia," the ICG said.

Donor governments need encourage such an initiative, said the ICG, which offered to cover the cost of the Somali government`s relocation to Mogadishu. Bryden clarified that the ICG "will not meet the costs of an IGAD deployment."

ICG also warned that foreign troops should only set foot in Somalia if the transitional Parliament endorses the plan.

Somalis usually resist outside interference. The last peace mission in Mogadishu ended in a bloody and humiliating withdrawal by US and United Nations troops in the mid 1990.

According to foreign affairs analysts in Nairobi, Somalis hate what they see as attempts by Ethiopia to dominate the Horn of Africa and install a client regime in Mogadishu.

On the other hand, Ethiopia is wary to keep off Islamist influence over the region.

Although Yusuf wants a combined AU-Arab League (AL) force of 7,500 troops to help his exiled government`s return, ministers from Mogadishu, including Atto, have privately argued this role could be performed by local militias, who alegedly have the required military muscle.

But certain diplomats in the Kenyan capital said these remarks only reflected the mistrust of Yusuf`s intentions rather than confidence in the competence of the militia groups.

Several Somali cabinet ministers and dozens of MPs are currently visiting Mogadishu to assess the security situation ahead of the government`s planned return.

Somalia has not had a central government for almost 14 years since an array of clan-based fighting groups ousted President Siad Barre in 1991.

Since then, warlords and their militias loyal to specific clans and sub-clans have been battling each other and civilians for control over certain areas of the country.

The African Union (AU) needs to avoid sending peacekeeping troops from neighbouring states with a history of involvement in Somalia, the
US-based International Crisis Group (ICG)
has warned the continental body.

I thought they were based in Brussels/EU... :confused:

Contrary to what some say in here, these guys know the Somali problem better than a lot of people. Isn't it a pitty, the dictator's club (AU) is the least to give a damn about the Somalis.

Xoogsade   

What kind of a somali problem do ethiopians know about except what the ruffians of all stripes told them?

Rumour has it, way back in the nineties ethiopians recorded the garbage talk between warlords who were meeting over there. That is how they got to know how many warlords slept in the same bed and how many were their antagonists. Ethiopians understood well that somali future was in the hands of those losers, and if they controlled them, they controlled the destiny of their neighbours. Each Somali group had something against their brethren and Amxaaro were the willing father-figure who eagerly provided a helping hand to every sick minded Somali who in the dark of the night sold a piece of his soul along with the dignity of Somalis. How disgusting. Qabiil inuu qofka diin iyo imaan ka qaado ka arag meeshaas. From then on, Somali affairs where in the hands of Ethiopians playing the cards correctly by using the intelligence they gathered from the warlord's disturbed, Qaat-induced, malicious souls.

Suldaanka, you say they understand Somali problems because you think they might support the northern aspirations. I think you will get your wish without lowering yourself. You are going to deal with Somalis and as a Somali person who understands somali culture better than any Xabashi, you can tell your cousins(Somalis) what you want without any hassle. Amxaaro maxaa keeney meesha. The best recognition is the one from allah and for anyone to spend his short life in a dignified manner.

Coloow   

Gumeeysi iyo gobanimo ma laba la is garab dhigaa?

2 things;

1) A few days back we witnessed how "parliamentarians" were given a red carpet treatment by the people of mogadishu. Many of us sceptics were "moved" by the pictures of the somalis yearning for the return of rule.

2) The Ethiopian agenda in somalia is well known; It wants a somalia that is weak and a leader that it can control. With Ethiopian blessing, it wouldn't surprise me if anyone who opposes the doofarey regime is labelled "Islamist", Wahabist, terrorist and all the neo-words that have become common in the third world.

These developments are derailing the process of reconciliation.'

Why should we need foreign troops to guard a president, a parliament and cabinet from the people they intend to serve and represent?

The problem with those who oppose the deployment is the lack of a fair and honest leader! Many are the same leadership that made somalia what it is today. What we need is a somali leader who is going to unite grassroots somalis to oppose the madaxkorankor and gaalo-amxaras and save somalia.

Save us the nonsense of Ethiopian being a friend of somalia. It is a neo-colonial nation. Save us the nonsense of Geedi, Yusuf and the other so called leaders. To attain positions of power these thugs are willing to negotiate our religious values and to sacrifice our religion. Don't be surprised if they call people who oppose them as belonging to an alqaida cell that is endangouring western interests!

These are the same thugs who handed eEthiopia religious leaders who opposed them. These are the same people who fought religious leaders in luuq and other somali towns.

I have always wondered the motive behind using foreign troops and guns when what you are doing is trying to make peace. It wouldn’t have seemed so hostile, had the president just walked in with his entourage and claimed their seats without firing any guns or using foreign mercenaries to bring the Govt. in exile home.

A healing process should have been started and the leadership shown by way of all the main government bodies coming home and paving the way for the president who is apparently suspicious of trusting his own MPS and ministers to come and take his rightful seat. I believe the wrong moves and tactics are being used here and that means luck of foresight and interest in the creation of apeaceful state.

How can one call moving in with troops (foreign)is being peaceful? You only have to look at the way people embraced the coming of some of the members of parliament to realise that there is hunger for peace and not many out there need another battle. Ofcouse the road ahead wont go without abit of afight but let the fighting be done by somalis who want peace rather than foreign troops mainly composed of troops that would hate any success in somalia and would do anything to make it difficult for somalis to prosper and develop themselves.

Ethiopia and Somalia once were arch enemies and went through atough war and the wounds dont heal so quickly and some somalis easily forget that Ethiopia already owns ahuge chunk of somali lands (******) so its not in its interest to see apowerful somalia as one day apowerful somalia may demand its lands and people back.

Anyone who thinks somalis will welcome foreign troops with open arms is really out of their mind. The day foreign troops step into somalia is the day somalis will forget their differences, unite and fight an old enemy and boy would that be another black hawk down or what.

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Sultan Sa'd ad-Din:

^^^ lol

Sxb I was talking about the ICG

Laakin, as they say nin walba halkii buktaa isagey belbeshaa.

Oh I see! I must have assumed that the "they" you mentioned referred to Ethiopians. Also, It must be my familiarity with the warm reception some northerners have for the Ethiopians for reasons you are aware of.

Anyway, I am the last person you would get any dispute from over your decision or any one else's decision. So Bukaan ma jiro. I don't care is a strong statement and might offend some who are not that extreme, but I really don't lose sleep over who wants to be separate. If you see yourself separate and different from others, who am I to force down into your throat otherwise? I have respect for myself and wouldn't beg anyone who doesn't appreciate my brotherhood saxib :D Blessed be the separation bro, that is all I have to say about it although I know others might have a different opinion. You have got mine.

Also, It must be my familiarity with the warm reception some northerners have for the Ethiopians for reasons you are aware of.

Well, that is one of the symptoms of that disease sxb... no need to hide it, you can be honest and open, let it all go. Iska nafis sxb. :D

Seriously, Somaliland's policy is to be friendly to ANYONE that is friendly to its cause, which from now on includes you :D . So, I see no particular favour here...

The only links we may have with Ethiopia is nation to nation links (e.g. politics, security and of course trade). Compare that to your neck of the woods? Where it meddles with your internal affairs, where it makes and destroys warlords by her own will and even worse it occupies and intrudes parts of Southern Somalia.

I don't think you are one of those il-informed chaps that blindly argue that Ethiopia is the brainchild behind "Somaliland", they couldn't be far from the truth. Somaliland was there and alive before Senawi even came to Addis Abeba. Somaliland is a local idea, born and bred by its people. Kuwa cudurka ka qaba, well what can I say: Gafuur cadho nimuu ku yaalo ayuu dhibaa. :D ... the caravan will march on.

certainly, the only people that can make or destroy Somaliland are its own people, NO ONE ELSE. Ninkii meelahaas ka cabaada, alaylehe, wuxu ka dhiganyahay, "GUDCUR MAGANGOOYO, NIN INDHA CADEEYEY, ISAGAA ISKA CADEEYEY".

LANDER   

Originally posted by Sultan Sa'd ad-Din:

quote:Also, It must be my familiarity with the warm reception some northerners have for the Ethiopians for reasons you are aware of.

Well, that is one of the symptoms of that disease sxb... no need to hide it, you can be honest and open, let it all go. Iska nafis sxb.
:D

Seriously, Somaliland's policy is to be friendly to ANYONE that is friendly to its cause, which from now on includes you
. So, I see no particular favour here...

The only links we may have with Ethiopia is nation to nation links (e.g. politics, security and of course trade). Compare that to your neck of the woods? Where it meddles with your internal affairs, where it makes and destroys warlords by her own will and even worse it occupies and intrudes parts of Southern Somalia.

I don't think you are one of those il-informed chaps that blindly argue that Ethiopia is the brainchild behind "Somaliland", they couldn't be far from the truth. Somaliland was there and alive before Senawi even came to Addis Abeba. Somaliland is a local idea, born and bred by its people. Kuwa cudurka ka qaba, well what can I say: Gafuur cadho nimuu ku yaalo ayuu dhibaa.
... the caravan will march on.

certainly, the only people that can make or destroy Somaliland are its own people, NO ONE ELSE. Ninkii meelahaas ka cabaada, alaylehe, wuxu ka dhiganyahay, "GUDCUR MAGANGOOYO, NIN INDHA CADEEYEY, ISAGAA ISKA CADEEYEY".
Well put.