Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

Where Khat Is King, But Not Much Else Works

Elysian   

Where Khat Is King, But Not Much Else Works

“Nothing much works in Somalia -- not water or sanitation, not health or education. But despite the absence of state structures (or perhaps because of it), three things function with amazing smoothness: the commerce of khat, an impressive system of cellphone networks, and the business of international money transfers. Welcome to the paradox that is the failed state of Somalia.”

What is required of us to bring about a change in Somalia? Has anything constructive or fruitful come out of our endless discussions at SOL Political forum – it would really be inspiring to hear that now.

Is there anyone with visions and ideas who’d like to share in times of despair. Seriously, Somalia has become the prevailing image of what a collapsed society is…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/17/AR2007081701714.html

Fabregas   

quote:Yet it turned out that not only was it possible for Somali men not to chew khat, but all the locals I spoke to agreed that it was the first peaceful period in Mogadishu since 1991. Women mentioned that their husbands had even started working in the afternoons.

Allahu Akbar!

Fabregas   

Your tribal affiliation determines your area code. In Galkayo, there are two networks (with no way to call from one to the other) roughly reflecting the clan division that runs through the town from the south, where cell numbers start with a 4, to the north, where they start with a 7.

Dont know whether to laugh this or not!

three things function with amazing smoothness:

- the commerce of khat,

- an impressive system of cellphone networks, and

- the business of international money transfers.

From business perspective they are doing well, however from social and environmental point of view they do more harm than good. Forget about the khat thing, it is cursed. All in all they are actually taking but not giving back to the community.

Thierry.   

Elysian it is a sad state that a forum which prides itself as the cream of the Somali crop has not even unified both opposing groups on a single issue, the place is like the online version of Jerry Springer show.

this was something written not so long ago to help unify atleast someof our ideas

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most days when you browse this forum there is I find little that appeals to me, so it is refreshing when I read a post such as the one by Makhirian inviting fellow Muslim Somalis to unite with there needy brother and sisters in south of Somalia. We should focus our energy on those issues that will bring us closer to unity and make our bonds stronger. Being one the most homogenous nation in the world we have so many reasons to be united.

- We are all Muslims

- We are all Somalis

- We all want our religion to be the law that governs our land (because if you don’t then your faith is in doubt)

- We are all from the same Tribe

- We all yearn for a greater Somalia that has influence in the world

About two weeks ago when I was on the bus I saw something strange, I saw a Somali women purse being snatched by a Easter European looking lady just as they were struggling over the bag two other Somali women came out of the local market. Instinctively without worrying about their shopping and possessions they both ran to the aid of their Somali sister (from what I saw I doubt the Polish lady will ever try to steal a Somali woman’s bag again) . But the point is they did not ask what her tribe was, they did not stand in the side passively watching like all other passer-by, they did what was natural to them, something that our religion teaches us “come to the aid of your brother and sister when they need it”.

Today the lives and wealth of our brothers and sisters in the South of Somalia is being snatched and ripped apart once again by a stranger that has come from foreign lands, the lives of our brothers and sister from ONLF is being snatched, yet we choose to sit passively going against our natural instinct.

Mashallah the brother back home are fighting with tooth and nail, these foreigners thought Mogadishu was going to be a walk in the park, if it was a football game we can say that the Ethiopian crusaders have been taken into extra time.

Our brothers from Puntland, Somaliland, Makhirland, and Galmudug need to come to the aid of their wounded brother of the south for “the Muslim is one body if a finger hurts the rest of the body feels it”. Now more than ever south needs your helping hand.

We in the west have the best opportunity to get our voices across to the media and people of power, to take the case of Somalia serious. Each and every one of us regardless of what our quarrels are has a responsibility.

Our Muslim brothers in Bosnia set precedence in the mid 90s, while the brave boys, old men of Bosnia took arms to fight against the Orthodox Serbian onslaught, young Bosnians in the west lobbied the UN, NATO and all other international organisation to put the plight of their people on the map. I still get inspired when I watch the young Bosnian youth who stood in front of the United Nations Security Council to advocate for his people.

Saxiibayal if we don’t do anything for our people do you think others will.

Mashallah yesterdays the turn out in London Demo was great but us the young need to take the step further by writing to our MPs, councillors, the foreign office, to the UN to News papers etc.

Steps to take:

- Write a letter to your local MP, councillors, and news papers at least once a week (you can get templates of letter from many internet sites)

- In this site lets promote those issues that will unite us

It only takes few minutes to write and call your local representatives, especially in boroughs where there is a large numbers of Somalis.

Our North American Brethrens I am not too familiar with your system but Inshallah do your best.

At the end of the day it the means that we disagree not the end goal

And most importantly make dua to those Muslims that suffer around the world, for it is only in the will of Allah that things change

Salamu Aliakum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------