Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Somali or Clan? Which do you chose and why?

u so funny og-gal! or shall i say ISMARANIYA!!

personal choice!lol...plz sista..dont dance like a chicken!!i know u wont even use the same cup that i use :D . and thats aight! feel free!

could someone plz give a hand to this pretty sista

to fill in the blanks correctly!! any volunteers!

Coloow   

somali, because I don't believe in the validity of somali clans! the so called abtiris is not a science!

Caruurta xataa ma aaminaan! waa sida St Claus, father christmas oo caruurta gaalada loogu sheekeyo, inkastoo uusan jirin. :D

so, I have denounced the nobel clan that I once belonged to. But I know it takes time to question the validity of tribalism. I am sure of one thing though you spare lots of cash and become free to reason as an individual because if you believe in the notion of tribalism, you are forced to have a collective reasoning............you never utilise the capacity of your brain to act and reason independently.

I have been asked on several occassions about what qabiil I belong to, so I have devised a defensive tool. I am of the reer caaqil clan which happens to be part of the waan-daadshe nation. ;)

Lady   

Shaqsii

Intresting debate

But let me say this, how can you seprate Somali and clan? they are the same and One? If you are Somali you must belong to clan right? with or without your choice..

But for sure if I have been given the choice to choose between somalinimo or clanism I will vote for Somalinimo why? becouse clanism is what destroyed our be-loved country..clanism is the disease that we may never find its cure..clanism is somali nazizm.. oh! do I hate it..but can,t help it.. lol

Lady ....To me I think there is no Somalinimo....rather there is alot of Clan and clanists. If there was Somalinimo you wouldnt be seing what is happening in all Somali forums. People hating each other for being born to different clans and ofcouse blaming a whole generation for what the elders before did. Mistakes do take place in all kinds of communities but the difference here is Clans dont allow us as a people to forget the past, learn from the past mistakes n move on like most civilised people do.

Somalinimo is what the globe sees and since the wolrd is getting far too small interms of globalisation we need one another as Somalis rather than clans.

Lady   

Originally posted by Shaqsii:

Lady ....To me I think there is no Somalinimo....rather there is alot of Clan and clanists. If there was Somalinimo you wouldnt be seing what is happening in all Somali forums. People hating each other for being born to different clans and ofcouse blaming a whole generation for what the elders before did. Mistakes do take place in all kinds of communities but the difference here is Clans dont allow us as a people to forget the past, learn from the past mistakes n move on like most civilised people do.

Somalinimo is what the globe sees and since the wolrd is getting far too small interms of globalisation we need one another as Somalis rather than clans.

Shaqsii brotha

I agree with everything you have said..When you think about it Somali problems started from Clanizm..and unless our ppl understant this deep-rooted problems and that Clanizm is responsible our destructions..I believe it is very hard for them to move on...I just feel sorry for the younger generetion who is going to be the next Victims of this non-stopable disease :(

Xiis

It seems you guys misunderstood this issue..The brotha asked If you have the Choice, wich one do you think is better Somalinimo or Clanizm? ( I do believe we have the choice to be born in clan but still not being Clanizm)I don,t think it is hypocircy if some states that he/she hates Clanizm..ppl usually mix Clan & Clanizm

1-Clan= U born with it and nothing you can do about IT...U love it or U hate it U can,t change IT

2-Clanizm= you choose to be one..and this is the worst about being born in Clan system..this is the one Somalis need to forget about it..

Salaan...

Soomaali!!

Period.

Inta kale been.

Those who keep calling 'hypocrites' to those whose loyalty and allegiance primarily rests on Soomaali, rather than qabiil, might think EVERYONE is like them. Them being who grew up some bush down the country, and had been fed with the sheer and utter propaganda of their qabiil having some superior quality or that their devotion should rest on their qabiil than on Soomaali. We are not same. Thank you very much. I was born as a Soomaali, and I will keep, God willing, as it is. To die as a true Soomaali.

Shaqsi, brother, I am a fervent nationalist, a real Soomaali; however I mostly keep those thoughts to myself.

And as a son of a father who was a member of the Leegada {SYL}, by opposing the majority will of his family at that time. Because most of his family members were against Leegada, because of qabiil, but my father stood up, showing the true colour of

Soomaali. Telling them they were wrong, and as imperfect as the SYL seemed, it was not the time to have a division lest that it might be taken advantage by the Gumeysiga. He was a man who understood and stood for it--'it' being the sacred unity of Soomaali people, regardless how we differ in some minor issues. He was always a genuine compaigner and dreamer of the unification of ALL Soomaali-settled lands into a one powerful nation in the Horn of Africa.

I thus will emulate him, insha allaah.

And finally, as far as I respect and like my qabiil, but it would never come before Soomaali. Thanks qabiil, but not when the Soomaali is in.

And I remember how our ciyaal xaafad really never used to care about qabiil. It was some funny scenes that used to happen in our xaafad in Xamar when some old folks who would come from the country-side and used to come to our xaafad asking us ciyaalka xaafada to give them some directions of where 'ina hebel and ina heblaayo' live. We used to laugh at them. Asking them to tell us the names, save the qabiil for we don't even know any qabiils. And they in turn would laugh at us because of our ignorance of qabiil. That was the days of a true Soomaalinimo. When allegiance used to lie on ciyaal xaafad, not on qabiil. Whoever says the mentality of qabiil cannot be erased from a Soomaali's mind is dead wrong. I am a proven, me and my ciyaal xaafad. Even with this civil war, and us all being in Qurba, we are still saxiibo. Caring as ciyaal xaafad, not because of qabiil.

Macsalaama!!

gamadiid   

For Loyalty, one should be with what is right all the time, regardless of clan or other affliations people claim to belong to. We are individuals and come under an umbrella name(clan), it is just an identity and that is all. It wasn't supposed to be something you judge by, give for, kill for, hate for, love for smile.gif and I know many somalis just do that. I think tribe enables one to know where one comes from, and should be all. Friendships and acquintances are by choice and based on interest rather than Qabiiil in my view. Nothing less nothing more.

As for the people among somalis, who were undermined and despised for generations, and without any reasonable grounds that I was told or know about, I think they should understand that a despised person is truly the one who despises himself, and they shouldn't succumb to the inhuman comments and treatments coming to them from others, in the end, believing in yourself is what matters. It is tragic somalis behave in such a way towards each other, but it is also something common among human beings as I noticed. They picker about who is nobler all the time and who is not, who is black and who is white etc. Such undermined somali brothers should fight for their right even if they have to die defending their rights FROM insolent Nomads gone awry smile.gif I would.

Given the fact that when you see a somali person coming towards you in an alley, or one riding the bus with you, or another driving by, that you recognize him/her as a somali, and not as of a particular clan is evident that somalis are one. Being somali comes first for every somali both consciously and subconsciously. It doesn't matter whether one says he chooses his clan or not, the somali traits by which people recognize you come first. You can't be your clan without being somali first smile.gif So, is there a point in the first place to choose one, when you can't be without the other?

Take care everyone.

gamadiid   

Shaqsii, If I misunderstood your question, my apologies.

Gediid, Tribe doesn't matter to everyone. I don't believe it does anything for me other than telling people what tribe I belong to to get them off my back and stop their curiousity. They wouldn't even discuss with you, or talk to you without them knowing your tribe if you want to share a seat with them, or take the break with them at work. I devised a plan though, to calm their nerves and make them feel at ease, One day I walked up to my fellow co-workers and told them that I am cool with everything they wanted to discuss about, and they can start complaining about my tribe if they wanted to smile.gif . They all laughed and from that day on, Trust was built and they could talk about my tribe sometimes while ME sitting right in their middle since they had a permission to endulge themselves. I saw them keep quite few times I walked to them, so I figured I should make the brothers feel at ease with their tribal politics and bottomless obsession with who is who and who done what. That is why I told them what tribe I was. Sometimes people get carried away though. Anyway, I know you guys might scratching your heads to figure out who I am, but better deal with me on the premisis of me being Muslim-Somali definitely.

Take care.

xiis   

Gamadid,

Well done bro, I commend u on your "qabiil-free" lifestyle, but forgive me if I am a bit sceptical of such unrealistic idealism or shall I say utopianism. To put it bluntly, my lad there is no such thing as individualism in Somali society, EVERYTHING IS COLLECTIVE in nature. From politics and economics to social relations. What your fellow clansmen does no matter how innocent u are reflects on you and as such u bear a share of the responsibility. This is according to our Somali Xeer system. So like it or not this is our reality my friend.

Xiis

if you like to live free tribe life syle be like my friend abdikarim. people ask what tribe he is and he will say it is secret,but me i will tell what tribe iam but i will never feel close to some one just because he/she is my tribe.if we get long and understand each other you are my kind people forget sick tribe shit

king_450   

well this topic it explosive and it even will make two brothers from the same mothers fight for no reason, if you get my point, so here is what the creater of this topic want us to tell him, he wants for us to say i belong to ----- clan but why not tell us first who u r then , we will tell u that we are all somalis and muslims, and anythign after that is how u look into it, the person who said if i have two ppl with me and one of them is my caln , that he feels more confident in that person then the other, that says all about somali thinking, we all are Racist in one way or other capacity but we disguise too much, we are the masters of disguise in life, so all u can do is look what happened to ur country and you should learn by an example ,good luck all.

"so here is what the creater of this topic want us to tell him, he wants for us to say i belong to ----- clan"

King all I can say is read the question properly, understand it and answer appropriately.

No one here wants to know your clan....just what you see yourself as clan or Somali? simple.

Gama bro I would say you understood the question and obviously answered it the best way you possibly could. Tnx

[ June 10, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Shaqsii ]

Changed   

rudy...........lol

dang u put our dad's onda spot light ......

but OG dad eccepted u already so does that proove ur point wrong ...........and it aint about our dads its about US is i decide what i want not what my DAD would want .......