Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Somali or Clan? Which do you chose and why?

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. However, it seems like alot of the posters havent understood what the question was specifying. The question was merely asking you what you thought was right for you. Somaliniimo or Qabiil. And if there was achoice what would you rather chose. Ofcouse without a doubt we are all muslems granted but the level of belief also matters agreat deal.

Somalis are terribly Qabiilist in nature and so far I havent seen too many who really fight for the term "SOMALI". You can see Qabiil rising its ugly head when for example one asks for the hand of a girl who belongs to a clan that is different from yours. You can see it even in business and most of other areas too.

Haashim   

Shaqsiib you're absouletly right it become normal these days to say mid reer hebel ah instead his/her name, and i think the biggest problem is the lack of government which can direct the people to something like the former government which was directing people once by BACAADCELINTA, OLOLAHA BARASHADA AF SOOMAALIGA/AF CARABIGA, DAGAALKII XABASHIDA, LA DAGAALANKA CUDURRADA, GAAJADA, OKTOOBAR, GURMADKA etc. as long as we have no job we will make job between ourselves, there is a big vaccum in our society, this vaccum should be fulfilled by something and we filled it qabiil, kan yuu yahay kaasna yuu yahay, so i don't see any near solution and it may continue untill other societies will take us over. because if we continue next ten years as we're now i have no any doubt that other parties will take over our land with or without our consent.

Miriam1   

LOOOL Gedid u made laugh, i did always wonder how almost everyone on this site is so liberal and so anti-qabila. Okay the truth puting aside the idealism..and wat i believe compared to wat i would say...if someone old came upto me and asked me what qabila i was from, out of respect i would reply and go down the whole tree line if we happen to be from the same qabila, i would also do the same with a person of my age group. But would i treat a person who is from my clan differently then a person who isnt........the answer is simply nope, i would hold the same polite smile and conversate with them in the same manner.At the end of the day we are both would be somalis and that is far more important than which qabila we are from, even though we choose to mention our clans.

Gediid.....Good point....I always wonder if all somalis here are so pro-somali. The future would be bright. ;) I think everyone in SOL has an image to protect and people try to live up to dat image.

Shaqsi....I would choose somalinimo over qabiil.

I base my decision on three realistic reasons.

The first being is that i think somalinimo is the future since somali society is econimacally and socially integrated homogenous society.

The second being that as somali, i have yet to see any benefit a qabiilinimo did for me and for my fellow somalis. I was raised, clothed and fed by parents not by qabiil. My qabiil didn't educate me or protected me. The qabiil might have been useful in the past nomadic somali life. But today times have changed, somali nationhood offers better future than the qabiil.

Lastly, if we choose qabiil over somali nationhood, I think it is safe to say we will be in perpetual conflicts in any somali region.

“Gediid.....Good point....I always wonder if all somalis here are so pro-somali. The future would be bright. I think everyone in SOL has an image to protect and people try to live up to dat image…”

Couldn’t agree more as I see a lot of people here trying very hard to keep a certain image rather than go for what they really think. I would like to remind you that this is the place where one should be able to share what they think and ofcouse try to convince us the (wider audience) as to why they think the way they do. We all here need to get the right feedback so we can counter any future upheavals in terms of considerations for the wider community and also to make sure that what is happening today in Somalia doesn’t happen again. I for one think first and foremost I’m “SOMALI” though I must admit not a very proud one at the moment. Right now I don’t have a lot of confidence in the upcoming young generation as a lot of them are already sellouts and done even know what or where they are heading. There are also not so many role models other than what is seen on MTV and ofcouse Sunset Boulevard. Some I must admit even run away from the fact that they are Somalis and wish they were not born Somali.

Despite not having a lot of confidence in the next generation, there are times when miracles occur and life just surprises the hell out of you.

“ALLAH HAANA SOO HANUUNIYOO”

Well first of all god made people have different clans to learn each other and not hate each other like some somali's do.

If there was a dude from my clan and another not, I wouldn't really boost the dude who's not from my clan out because it would be equally write to get to know both........And u can't really hate :mad: someone's clan just because of one bad apple ( or in somali's case more than one bad apples). :D

faanoole   

My Loyalty is to myself, my family, Clan, nation and ISLAM. That is true Nomad way of life. True nomad helps his fellow Nomad members (except killing and hate - you're on your own The Day after).

Qabiil is not as bad as it's made to be. Few corrupt people misused the Clan for person gains. Take the good thing about Clan and leave the rest. Don't be a puppet to clan. True Nomad is independent thinker and prince among man. Follow the right path and lead your family, clan and nation. Nothing is wrong with little healthy competition among Clan.

Analyze yourself; we all have Qabiil in us. Be honest to yourself and show your true Nomad color.

My full brother and I against my father, my father's household against my uncle's household, our two households (my uncle's and mine) against the rest of the immediate kin, the immediate kin against non-immediate members of my clan, my clan against other clans, and my nation and I against the world.

La-y-La   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

My loyalty is to my family, my nation (Somali) and to Muslim brotherhood.

I totally agree!!!

I know alot of ppl may say what looks good and it is true all of us have some qabiil in us, but i do believe majority of the ppl here would not choose qabiil over somalia. Qabiil is now a day becoming very useful in the somla comunity when it comes to a lot of stuff like marriage n bussiness.

I cant see myself siding with some1 just cuz tehy happen to be the same qabiil as me. I guess the ubringing of one has a lot to do wiht it. I remeber an older friend of mine telling me a few years ago that in a few years, qabil will become a part of my life and even friends may not look at you the same way once they know who you are and i actually told him that would never happen. Belief me, now a day, i hear too much of qabiil and even ma own friends sometimes talk about qabil in a way that kinda makes me think. I guess thats the somalinimo in us. Allah ha noo gargaaro, somalia nabad ha ka dhigo insha'Allah!!!

ok sistas!

i will make it simple for yall! i am midgaan! holla if your dad will let me mary u? uall so silent now!hah! i thought so! its like asking the wolf why chase the lamb!lol...so human nature..!

LANDER   

lool@rudy...thanks sxb, that'll stop some of the hypocrites...he he. Sistas, you wanna put all that good talk into practice? then please holla back at rudy..... of course your gonna talk a good game on the net, but if you were in your living room right now presenting Rudy to your folks, it might be a different story. In theory somali civilisation would be better served if tribalism did not come into play socialy, but until we apply this theory to our reality; most of us in here are HYPOCRITES.

AYOUB   

1. Ich bin ein somalilander!

2. Ask not what your qabiil has done for you

Ask what you can do for your qabiil ;)

------------------------------------

YOU ALL SAY WHAT YOU SAY TO LOOK GOOD IN PUBLIC.

RUNTA ISKU SHEEGAA--GEDIID (NOMAD1668)

Rudy you are agenious ....Somehow even the ones here will be probably do a runner heheheheh ....but thats the reality of it all. Alot of us are surely hypocrites in nature and wont accept our weaknesses. I for one dont know much about midgaan but from what I hear from the man on the streets, they are treated like the untouchables of India. Maybe its about time we looked at ourselves in the mirror for what we really are.

thk yall! and one thing i wanna point out is that remember, we r all equal before the creator. prejeduices, division, ignorance r just behaviors of mankind...so dont let no one put down! get up stand up standup 4 your________! can u fill in the blanks

MISS OG_GIRL---if u get it right, i give u a kiss!!