Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Geldof in Africa (Somaliland Part)

Fyr   

Geldof in Africa

Mon 20 Jun, 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm 30mins

The Luminous Continent

New series. Life in Africa has always been a battle against nature, climate and geography. Bob Geldof follows the evolutionary trail of mankind from our Rift Valley origins in the Laetoli Gorge, Tanzania, to the point on the north-eastern coast of Africa where people first left to colonize the rest of the world.

En route he travels through the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Masailand and encounters a group of the last few hundred remaining Hadsa people who still live as man did 50 thousand years ago. His journey finishes amongst the warlords in the harsh burnt lands and disputed border territory of Somalia.

Sky   

With disputed border territory they probably mean the border between Kenya and Somalia which is terrorised by Shifta bandits. (yeah our cousins outside the borders of our republic are just as crazy as we are)

Isnt he the guy that visited Somalia in 2004? If Im not mistaken, he visited Hargeisa, Bossasso and the Cal Madow forrest in Sanaag. He got a lot of criticism for not including enough black artists to Live Aid.

Dont think I can watch, I need to resit an exam wednesday.

Fyr   

GELDOF IN AFRICA

BBC One, 7.30pm

Instead of focusing on deprivation and disease, Bob Geldof celebrates “the most extraordinary, beautiful and luminous place on our planetâ€. His journey begins in Somaliland, a model African country that combines modern and traditional ways of life — despite the fact that it does not officially exist. He talks to a doctor, for example, who replaces a man’s forehead that was destroyed in a car crash using the hip from a goat and modern antibiotics. Of all people, Geldof is well aware of the chaos that creates destitution in Africa, but at the same time he is overawed by the wonder and beauty of a continent that burns with light.

TimesOnline

Fyr   
For those of you who don’t have access to BBC ONE, I’ll be uploading the first part of 6 part series for you to download when it comes out on IRC or BT. This is strictly for those who haven’t seen it or hasn’t got access to BBC ONE channel. I’ll be updating with some release info so hang on if you’re interested.