Sign in to follow this  
Muslimah

Any strange experiences cuz of ur hijab???

Muslimah   

Bismillahi Ar-Rahmani Ar-Rahim

All praises are due to Allah alone. We praise Him, we seek His help and His forgiveness.

I think I have heard every remark/insult about hijab. Been called diaper head, been mistaken 4 a nun......dont ask how. A little girl called me batman...that made me laugh. One day at my high skool (thanks Allaah I graduated) they were playin kung fu fightin on the pa system....and some kid walks by sayin 2 me "hey ninja they playin ur song". Sometimes I feel like takin a video camera wit me 2 record the drama I deal wit everyday. Make a documentary or somethin. Alhamdulillah, not complaints. everytime someone makes a wisecrack, Allaah rewards me inshaa Allaah ta'ala.

So what about the rest of u muslimahs....any strange/funny experiences? If so plz share.

Iffah   

Salaams Muslimah,

Nice topic & thanks for sharing your story with us.

I've never actually had anyone come up to me and insult my hijab. But there are always the stares or the people who think just because you are covered you are not educated. I see this from our Somali people too. Some still think not wearing the hijab is 'ilbaxnimo' and think the opposite of those who wear it.

Anyways, I don't wear the jilbaab as I think you do. So, I understand why it's even harder for you. I live in an area where there is a large Muslim community....and alhamdulilah things are easier.

Buubto   

Asalaamu Aleikum Wr WB

Nice topic & thanx for sharing ur experiences sister muslimah & Ilham.

My only experience that I come across most of the times is staring & bad attitude towards my hijab. They keep asking me like u wearing it cuz of the cold or ur father is forcing u to wear it or ur male relatives. I also came across some rude ppl who once told me to take it off cuz men r taking advantage of u they want to rule the ladies & keep them in the hood. I was so mad & gave them the response they deserve. another lady once told me to take it off cuz it is covering my beauty. when I told her that is the point, she look at me in strange way & said u rather be ugly & have no men to looked at u. :mad: lost lady walaahi. Almost every time when I apply work I got discriminated or rejected cuz of my hijab. And when I am at work some gaalo when they see me they look at me like they had some sort of electric shock can’t believe I am working there. Some of them ignore me or look at me up & down (huruuf), like they seen alien. Alhamdulilah I can’t complain most of the times is ok but every now & then above things do occur. Which I don’t take it to heart cuz I am in their land after all.

As for Somalis I must agree with sister Ilham there r some who r so ignorant when they see u r muxajabah they totally lower u down & disrespect u. like they r higher then u. And most of those ppl think u wear the hijab cuz ur prance is forcing ya. Alhamdulilah Allah is guiding me & may Allah stronger all the muhajib girls their faith. (Amin).

Muslimah   

Bismillahi Ar-Rahmani Ar-Rahiim

All praises are due to Allaah. We praise Him, we seek His help and His forgiveness.

Jazakamullaah Khairan for your responses, Ilham and Buubto.

I wear niqaab---face veil. Alhamdulillah there are a lot of muslims in my area but there are still those who make comments. Before I started niqaab no one said anything. Hijab is common where I live. But the second I put it on, my paradigm shifted. Suddenly ppl are impressed wit my english...too funny. Ask me silly qs like if I got married or not....as if that's the only reason why a woman would wear hijaab/niqaab.

Somalis are a very complex ppl. What I hate the most is when ppl say that I am too young to cover up like the way I do. I'm 18 by the way. As if there is a certain age one must get to b4 hijab/niqaab. My reply to those ppl is only Allaah knows when my time will come and until then I will do everything I can do to earn His pleasure. I can't handle the heat of the summer in Canada sometimes, forget Hellfire.

I have recently just completed a course taught by Muhammad Alshareef on Juz 'Ama and he mentioned this really funny remark that non-muslims will say to muslims be they men or women which is.........................camel jockeys. That cracked me up. But we have to remember what Allaah says:

"And, whenever they(the muslims) passed by them (the kaafirs of makka), used to wink at one another in mockery"

"And when they returned to their own ppl, they would return jesting"

These two ayaat talk about the kaafirs mocking the believers. Allaah replies:

"But this Day (the Day of Resurrection) those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers"

Allaah asks:

"Are not the dibelievers paid (fully) for what they do"

Subhan Allaah, who is more just than Allaah? You can find these ayaat in Surah Mutaffifeen.

If I have said anything bad it is from myself and the shaytaan. If I have said anything good it is only from Allaah. O Allaah I ask you to accept this from me. Dear reader please say amin.

petite   

Hey muslimah,

great topic!. While I have never been out right insulted (but then again i don't wear the niqaab), back in middle school my sister had a subsitute teacher one day (i think from the back woods of hicktown) and the teacher after threatning to SPANK some bad kid, looked at my sister and hollered "YOUNG LADY IT'S NOT COLD IN HERE TAKE THAT SCARF OFF". lol....she was serious too!

By the way..props to you sis..you actually wear the niqaab?...I fantasize about that, but I don't think I'll ever have the guts to.

Muslimah   

Bismillah Ar-Rahmani Ar-Rahiim

Jazak Allaahu Khair

Petite, the teacher actually threatened to spank your sis? :eek: Where were yall?

Niqaab is chill. Alhamdulillah, not a problem. At first I was reluctant but I figured death's knocking on my door so I need to get ready for it, ya feel me?

petite   

muslimah...nah..it wasn't my sister she was threatning to spank, it was some other kid..but my sister caught her eye at the wrong time. Funny you ask where we were cause we were here in the U.S...and it was like '94...so you could imagine how everyone was shocked that she would threaten to spank someone. Needless to say..she was given her walking papers at the school.

Iffah   

Salaams..

Thought it would be good idea to revive this topic, since we have more sisters participating in this section of the forum now.

Please share your stories and experiences of wearing the hijaab with us...so that we can inspire and encourage each other insha allah. smile.gif

La-y-La   

mansha'Allah muslimah, allah bless u, u r a very intelligent person, keep up the good work.

anyway, I get too much stares, but not many ppl say anything to me, cuz they are really used to hijab wearing somalis around here.

I really hate ppl staring at me and i always look at them straight in the eye and ask "what the hell you looking at" that just gets to them.

Even though it is really hard to get a job with a hijab, that makes me mad, but hey is all good, there is a better place waiting for.

asalaamu aleukum.

peace.

Asalamu Alaykum

Jazakallah Khayr sisters for sharing Ur stories, just remember to keep Ur heads up high, and walk proud.

Well my story only just happened few weeks ago, I was just coming out of my lecture room when this girl I have exchanged one or 2 words with before says to me Oh in the summer don’t you get hot in that, And replied by saying what’s that? You mean my Hijab? Then she goes Yes, I then said to her In winter don’t you get cold in that?...then that’s when a guy she was with said I actually prefer ladies who cover up... then she just couldn’t even reply and she just walked away and I walked away with a big grin on my face, as her plan was to make a fool out of me.

I started wearing my hijab at the age of 13 and now I am 20 and at that time girls in school use to say to me oh you looked so beautiful when you use to show your hair and didn’t have that scarf on.

As sister Buubto said of course that is the whole point to hide our beauty. It is not for them to stare and look at as if we are a product on sell.

I also live in a Community where a lot of Muslims live, but that does not always stop you from getting that odd disgusted look from people. I just smile at them, and that’s when they stop because that not the reaction they were expecting to get, it’s the complete opposite.

We just got to remember that we are all protected by ALLAH (SWT). It’s not easy walking down the street with a hijab on let alone trying to get a job. Wearing the hijab makes me feel safe and protected and immediately Recognised as a Muslimah, which is great!

Rahima   

I put a piece of material on my head at the age of 7 :rolleyes: (not a hijaab really), but wore the hijaab at 14, it's been six years now and no problems yet Alxamdullilah. But i'm sure that has something to do with having attended an Islamic school,living in suburb with many Muslims and now attending a univeristy with many Muslims.

Nice topic

I haven't really had any bad experiences except good one or so I think their good.......Like some old ladies come up to me and saying what a lovelything ur wearing ( I thought they liked pink and that's why they said it)...People just ask why I wear it most of the time.....in elementry if any kid said anything about my hijab ( I probably would've knocked them out, I guess thats maybe why)........

Nice topic..........I am actually responding

Blessed   

Mine were pretty good as well.

Reactions have been great, espcially from the brothers and mothers. I gets so much respect it is unbelievable .. I feel like a queen of some sort. I can most definately get used to this :D

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

What a great topic! Well, one time I was walking at campus, wearing what my family calls the "taliban look" (I was wearing abaya). As I was walking, this girl with this man comes up to me and says in a loud voice: "Why do they have to wear all those clothes, its so silly." I was about to give her the answer of why I was dressed like that, but she was walking 20 miles/hour, she was already far in front of me. Good thing I don't take that comments so seriously. I just guessed that girl was jealous of muslim girls, because we're getting more respect than her from guys and still doing everything shes doing like getting educated. Other than that, I usually get stares, but I love it; if I don't get looked at, I question if I'm dressed in proper islamic attire. When non-muslims get to know me, they like me and get used to me, as they look past the stereotypical views they have about muslim chicks. My mission is to abolish all those misconceptions. Sisters lets not forget, that we aren't ignored by guys as well, just we're approached by guys in a polite way. Every guy wheather he is a homeless, alcoholic crack-head wants a woman who is classy not trashy icon_razz.gif;)

Also to Muslimah, way to go sister, you are truly a strong person. I know 2 girls that wear the niqaab and have been wearing it for a long time, and they say they love it,and they have. I know one is married, the other girl I don't know her very well just that she is an African American sister who reverted to Islam. May Allah make us strong muslims. Amiin.

Mujahida   

AsalamaAlaykum to you all Sisters

Muslimah your a niqaabi. I must say that it carries alot responsibility and courage and loads of Imaan ( May Allah reward you for FEARING him. smile.gif

I've started wearing my hijab at 16 it's been 3 years now Alhamdulilah. Uhm i do get some strange comments, I remember when the Iraqy war has just began a lady approached me in my college and said, " you must be going through hell i mean how are your family back home in iraq" I said i'm not a Iraqy smile.gif . I don't get alot of bad comments because of my hijab, but yeah there are always some ignorant weirdos you can come across.

One time i was walking to my class, than a black girl started saying this to me ( god another caged bird) SubhanaAllah, i remember i had tears in my eyes while sitting in my class. Not because i felt offended but becausen of happiness, becaUSE it's SHE that is caged in darkness and does not know the beautiful feeling and meaning of having Imaan in your chest. So at times like that we should praise Allah and thank him, he's Showing us just how lucky we truly are.

I pray that Allah protects my Sisters in ISLAM. I pray that ALLAH gives you courage and patience with yourself and those you might face in your lifes. I pray that none of us ever takes their hijab off because of fear of crtisism or worldy affairs. I hope that everything bad you see coming at you will only make you stronger in your deen. Ameen!

Loving you all for the sake of ALLAH!

jezekelah to sista Muslimah for posting this! smile.gif