Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Peace Caravan v1.1: The coming of the Somali Republic!

Coloow   

Xiinow, Soomaalidu waxaay ku maahmaahdaa run iyo ilkaba waa la cadeyaa saaxib. Nabad la dhoodoobay waxba ma tarto. Symptoms ma la daaweeyaa saaxib mise cudurka. Besides you asserted that this caravan will allow for the coming of a new somalia. There is no new somalia unless we speak the truth and leave the " jaalleyaal sacbiya". For us to witness a new somalia we need those seven issues to be addressed. Well, I admit some of the- at least the one regarding the partition issue is not one that will attract many- but I am the "devils advocate".

I guess the core question is what sort of somalia do we want? One that lives on doses of Prozac or one that is sane, prosperous and longterm.

Be pragmatic bro; you seem to be living in a bubble if you think a new somalia will evolve out of the ruins of the TFG, warlordism etcetc.

^^ :D:D

It’s not a new Somalia that’s coming! It’s the old republic that’s coming back. At least, in terms of its territorial construct! Breaking Somalia into mini enclaves neither achieves peace nor political stability---even our notorious warlords have shirked from pronouncing such regressive notion. There is no basis of dismemberment of the old republic adeer. If we break the chain at one part, it will be hard to find a mechanism to stop the fall! Further more, dismemberment will not effectively redress Somalia’s apparent political iniquities. For that we need justice adeer. Peaceful settlement begets stability; political stability in turn engenders justice! Or at least, we can begin seeking justice after we stabilize the country!

Coloow   

Hayaay!!! Old somalia??? War ninyahow ma laguu soo maray?! Are you out of your mind saaxib? Wasn't it the old somalia that created the situation we are in now? Let me tell you the old Somalia you love ; Dictatorship, warlordism and thugs of power. You may need to read and critically analyse the old somalia before you call for its rebirth bro.

In a sane world peace settlements beget peace and harmony but in the somali case so called peace settlements are the begining of new death; why? because we don't learn from our past. Instead as you wrote above many of us engage in a nostalgic nonsense that in the end creates mayhem.

Think of the people and not the territory. Dhul waa la helaa laakin ummad lama helo; and the way things have been thus far very soon you won't have the people to populate your territory

Malika   

^You got to understand where Xaji Xiin's stern beliefs come from as a believer I don't think he believes in despair and hopelessness. He knows there will come a time,when the voice of unity will speak and declare to the people[somalis], which will declare with unfaltering voice a unity through GOD and brotherhood of men[somali].Hence his belief the Sheikhs would be those whom will deliver this peace eventually.

As for old Somalia,it sure was a far better Somalia to the Somalia of later.

Juje   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

I wonder what will Juje's argument be after Ethiopia withdraws!

Then I will have none sxb.

Coloow   

Originally posted by Malika:

^You got to understand where Xaji Xiin's stern beliefs come from as a believer I don't think he believes in despair and hopelessness. He knows there will come a time,when the voice of unity will speak and declare to the people[somalis], which will declare with unfaltering voice a unity through GOD and brotherhood of men[somali].Hence his belief the Sheikhs would be those whom will deliver this peace eventually.

As for old Somalia,it sure was a far better Somalia to the Somalia of later.

Well, there is nothing wrong in dreaming but reality is another thing. Despair and hopelessness will continue to haunt us if we do treat only the symptoms as Mr. Faniin wrote. We need a thorough investigation into the disease before we treat it.

Yeah, yeah there will come a time--- but when will that time be? It is already too late for the thousands that perished while waiting and blving.

There was nothing good about the old somalia. In fact we couldn't have been in this position if there was no old somalia.

We need bold moves; rethink taken for granted issues; question everything that we thus far have held as positive attributes of our society; look for solutions in yonder don't you think?

Abtigiis   

Nacabkii Ilaah naga kaxee naaqiska ahaaye

Nasiib baannu leenahay haddaan Yusuf soo noqonne

Waxa Nacalla-qabihii na baday waa ka noollahaye

Noolaatay yidi-diiladii Naxashka saarrayde

^^What an absurd inference there!

Ina Yusuf’s resignation is, as I said before,a good move. How it came about is irrelevant. This is no time for dry strain, or mindless fanaticism! If one cares the Somali people, one must put forth a workable plan to move the country forward.

Next few weeks are very crucial. Lets hope we don’t regress to our old ways!

Sharifka ha la taageero.

AYOUB   

^^ Oh dear. You somehow managed to understand what I meant while claiming not to. smile.gif Talented Mr. Xiin.

Just give us the caravan update, if you don't mind. Thank you.

PS Please avoid using exclamation marks (!) on me if you can. They seem to make me blink and make me feel threatened. I'm only saying this because I know you're a considerate geezer. Cheers.

Ayyoub,

It would probably take erudite grammarians to explain and convince us that the use of exclamation marks CAN, in fact, threaten you.

Your request is granted----before I use this simple punctuation, I will consider the threat it could pose to you adeer.

As for the status of the peace caravan,latest headlines should suffice to give you good sense of the situation:

*Old man has stepped down

*Sharif is in Xamar

*Ethiopia is on its way out

*Efforts to form a unity government is underway

The peace caravan is about to redefine Somali politics in ways secessionist like you might have never imagined, and I am pleased to report progress on that front. Of course there are political and security challenges this caravan can hardly neglect---dealing with it is just the nature of the rough and tumble world of politics. Emotions are high. Somali people are fickle as ever. And the so-called international community is edgy. Yet we are hopeful Somalia will not go back to the pre tfg status.

Paucity of political leadership at root of Somalia’s problems, says top UN envoy

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Somalia’s problems are driven by a lack of responsible political leadership, the top United Nations envoy to the Horn of Africa nation said today.

In a letter to the diaspora, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative, said that there is an “emerging consensus that ultimately your country’s problems stem from the absence of accountable and committed national leadership.”

The key problem facing Somalia – which has not had a functioning central government since 1991 – is not one of security, but rather the vacuum in political leadership, he wrote.

“I am confident that progress is being made towards a situation where responsible leadership will have friendly relations with its neighbours, and smooth integration into the international community.”

The envoy hailed the recent “peaceful resignation” of President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed. He also noted the relocation of the leaders of the opposition group known as the Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) and delegates from the Joint Security Committee, comprising both the ARS and the Transitional Federal Government (TFG), to the capital Mogadishu.

In June, the two sides signed a UN-facilitated peace accord, known as the Djibouti Agreement, under which they agreed to end their conflict and called on the UN to deploy an international stabilization force to the troubled nation.

The Djibouti process “has opened a new era in the history of your country,” Mr. Ould-Abdallah said, adding that it has also “given the opportunity to all Somalis to witness the activity of a vital generation that is committed to peace and stability.”

With women and the younger generation losing hope after witnessing two decades of power struggles in Somalia, he said it is time for leaders to “demonstrate their commitment to peace and the well-being of their country.”

2009 will be a busy year for Somalia, with the first few weeks seeing the preparations for the election of a new president, the formation of a government of national unity and an enlarged Parliament. The Representative wrote that he hopes to hold talks with the business community, as well as with former top military and police officials to seek their views on how to bolster security and rebuild the national army.

“Somalia is entering a new era,” he said, calling on the diaspora to “catch the train of history and mobilize all efforts to maintain solidarity among all brothers in order to recover the integrity, sovereignty and dignity of Somalia.”

Source: UN News Center, Dec 31, 2008