Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Peace Caravan v1.1: The coming of the Somali Republic!

Malika   

Originally posted by Abtigiis &Tolka:

Sheekh Shariif should be ashamed of what he did. I have no doubt he is a coward! And I hate cowards.

What chance has this good man have with the likes of you and many other cynicals in the comfort of their comfortable lives?

Words of an over privilaged, I say! :mad:

Ibtisam   

^^^Really Malika?

People doubt his ability and capacity, whether he is a good man is neither here nor there. He took a long rout to try and find home, and the chances are he won't find it, nor can he control anything by the looks of the last few months.

It is only the comfortable and ones like us who are privileged enough to be so far who can sit and WAIT for MONTHS even years for him and the likes to make up their minds and come to compromise. The endless meetings, peace agreements which no one agrees on and remained unsigned for months, 9month deadlines that don't being till they sign the ****** thing, which no one agrees on. By then maaxa haadeey?? Other than the privileged in the west who keep the money flowing and the so called leaders who of course all live outside. Iga taah. :(

P.s. Need I mention that Al Shababaa was element of his creation?

Malika   

^ :D ,what a rant my dear Ibti.I understand your frustration sister, but we should be able to distiguish between the good and the bad really.

I for one, do see this man as the good guy, and I appreciate the HUGE challenges that he has encountered and continue encountering.

We cant be that naive to assume it is going to be so easy and straight forward in unifying the very much fragmented Somalis/Somalia.Neither should it be a one man show,it will have to be a collective ambition hence my annoyance with those whom critisies with little substance toward anything real.

He was able to bring peace in Mogadishu once before,why cant we trust him to do so yet again?

I oppose to the continue war,and his way of negotiation/reconciliation even with the devils themselves is very much admired and I pray he sucessed.

Abtigiis   

Dear ugaaso Malika

Waad salaaman tahay, horta. Salaan qaali ah. And what you said about privildges, might be partially true. Laakiin, You cannot deny that for us, men, it is important how one behaves under difficult situation. It is not whether Shariif is good or bad, but is someone leaves me at the middle of a fire (we both helped to ignite), I have the right not to trust him again. Sheekh Shariif should not have given himself up to Kenyan authorities when his comrades who he commanded were dying in the bush. Simple principle: the commander must not desert the followers.

If he would have stayed with them, and once in-country and having endured the harsh days, he later adopts his current approach, people would have seen him as ' a good hearted, peaceful nationalist!'

Having not done that, I think I amd many others have the right to be suspicious of him.

Otherwise, I can understand your motives for supporting him. You want the misery to end. But dear, that shouldn't blind you to the facts on the ground and to the wrongs done by this Sheikh.

Malika   

A&T, Waad mahadsantahay salaantaa qaliga ah. smile.gif

My dear friend, you have the right to criticises him as a leader as much as I have the right to praise him taasi iskumaa haynee hedee. My understanding of the man is he was never an army commander nor a Politician, but a mere teacher whom took upon himself to set the wheels of justice which ignited the desire among many of us to say, enough is enough. I trust you my friend to have the understanding that this man like many other ‘Somali leaders’ lack the leadership training as perhaps their counter parts in other parts of the world. Many criticises him for lacking substance, but is there anyone else out there on the ground that has what it takes to lead us from this prolonged nightmare?

Perhaps, you can see in you to forgive him for being a human and making a mistake. Now roll on those sleeves and help him push the stuck caravan. He needs support not criticising.

Ibtisam   

^^HE can't do it again, because the mistakes, first time around are haunting him! In addition the problems created by the experience. Also second time around is always harder than the first time, and finally the odds are stuck against him in every way, oh did I mention the old road is blocked, so he needs a new route to the one he took last time.

Abtigiis   

:D:D

Even when I am convinced his caravan won't go far? if I would agree with anyone out of courtesy, it is you. But, unfortunately, I am not CONVINCED Shariif can deliver.

As to the question if there are others who can do it, I think there are some. It is so unnatural to assume we have only one hero. believe me, if the sheikh has stayed with his team during the occupation, he would have had the capacity to implement his vision. Now, he only had good-will. I and you have it too. But, it is not enough.

Strong men deliver peace. Hassen Dahir Aweys and Abu-mansoor can deliver peace. They have a lot of flaws, but the reality is they can influence what happens next, more than Sheekh Shariif.

I don't have a ready-made soultion for somalia, but i know what Sheikh Shariif wants to acheive is unachievable and it is sad that I sound like a war-monger.

Kashafa   

AT&T, waa salaams wa raxma, abti. Keep up the good work of injecting realism(and intellectual integrity) in a forum where kumbaya and Is-Qancis reign supreme.

Malika & Ibtisam,

Shaykh Sharif's peacemaking efforts aside, what do you think about the substance(nuxur'ka) of the article I posted ?

Is there any excuse whatsoever for abandoning your men,by lying to them , and leaving them to die out in the mosquito-infested jungles of South Somalia ? Is this not called desertion in any dictionary ? Ironically, the same men he abandoned went to great lengths to secure an escape rout to him towards friendly Sudan.

Shortly after he was captured, the Mujahideen's position was bombarded. Coincidence ? Happenstance ? I don't know. You tell me.

After all this, did he try to clear the air and reestablish a command & control apparatus with his men, as any leader worth his salt should and must ? No. Did he try win back their confidence ? No. Did he use his 'clout' to get them 'amnesty' and stop the subsequent bombardment of Dhooblay, Galgaduud, among other places ? No. I could go on and on, but that should suffice.

His personal failings aside, the man is a colossal failure as a leader and commander, whether political or military, by any metric of measurement. Wearing a suit and spouting rosy words does NOT a leader make. Posturing like that may sway the hearts of the oppressed masses weary of war, but we should know better.

Peace will only come through immense sacrifices and at a terrible cost in blood and treasure. That's not me talking. That is the Lessons of History and Sunnan Al-Kowniyah speaking. Any man(or woman) that tells you peace in Somalia will come via wada-hadal is a charlatan.

I take no pleasure in calling out a man I had(past tense) great admiration and respect for. But after reading Kismayo-News expose, there was simply no room for xusnul-than, or giving him the benefit of doubt.

Homeboy needs to roll back to his hotels and use his speechifying to aid the Liberation Halgan, instead of stabbing it in the back.

Ibtisam   

Kashafa^^I cannot read the article and cannot find an english version, so I cannot comment on it, but I agree with some of the failures you have highlighted and I don't think that Sharif has the capacity, nor do people have the confidence they had in him previously to do what needs to be done now.

Ms DD   

Originally posted by Abtigiis &Tolka:

:

Strong men deliver peace. Hassen Dahir Aweys and Abu-mansoor can deliver peace. They have a lot of flaws, but the reality is they can influence what happens next, more than Sheekh Shariif.

I thought I misread the above quote. The 2 men above can not deliver peace at all. How long will this aggression continue? how many will die before peace is acheived? If what is said about them is the truth ( we have no way of verifying them, unless they say it in public), these men will always be hell-bent voilence. Their families arent the ones that suffer.

I dont think people have completely lost confidence in Shekh shariif. We still dont have alternative that could remotely bring different clans together.

nuune   

I have a very firm believe that this Caravan will bring nabad iyo caano.

people, don't lose hope, rajadu wey fiicantahay.

Baashi   

^Yes Nuune. Awoowe we are not oblivious of the actualities on the ground but as you said we are hopeful that those who spare no effort to attain peaceful resolution to this prolonged and costly civil war succeed.

Just can’t put up with the likes of Kashafa!. Period! Kelligii Muslims can scream all they want but this Geedi Socod will go on. The road is long and difficult; yes. The landscape the said caravan has to trudge through is harsh and unforgiving. But still the leading voices for the weary and exhausted Somalis demand its arrival. Sharrif is one of the leading voices of the weary Somalis. He will be targeted by the zealots. There will be “planted” stories.

The zealots, ignorant Kelligii Muslims and their sidekick Latter-Day-Patriots will do everything in their power to character assassinate him a la Hannity style. They won’t succeed.

There are those who invoke jingoistic feelings to prolong the suffering and the mayhem thinking they can defeat Tigre enemy without putting what started the civil war to bed. They are wrong. There are those who want to install Shari’ah government by attacking and killing anyone and everyone who does not follow their dictates willy-nilly. Their methods are wrong.

The civil war has torn Somalis apart. The Somalis are each others throats. The pain is real. The list of grievances each locality has compiled is long. There are too many unresolved issues. Yes Tigre mercenaries have to go and go as soon as possible. Most reasonable, informed, and objective Somalis will welcome their departure. However, the civil war and the issues it injected into political landscape will stay behind.

Sharrif is among few politicians who understand that the only path forward to bring the civil war to closure involves reaching out to the other side of aisle by spelling out a plan that will render Ethiopian military help irrelevant. What that means is bringing the other side into the fold; which in turn means turning potential roadblocks to gates of opportunities. Why engage in unnecessary confrontation when you can flip the coin xarash right?

On the Islamic government -- the movement Sharrif symbolizes sees their follow Somalis not as clan X or Y or as gaalo or as murtids nor as collaborators but Muslim Somalis whose vision are blinded by the fog of long waged civil war. It follows that the first thing a leader should do is to change perceptions by making clear that he is for peaceful and stable Somalia not as a partisan for one quarter of the population.

On the post-conflict Somalia -- this movement is about unity and as such it has to deal with all willing Somalis in good faith. With Ethiopian troops inside Somalia the plane field is not leveled. The enemy has the logistic, intelligence, military upper hand not to mention regional and international political advantage. Once the other side is informed that the goal is not defeating them but bringing the civil war itself to a close, then the details of the road map for that can begin. Kelligii Muslims and Latter-Day-Patriots are faulting Sharrif because of that strategic stand of his.

For those of us who don’t suffer insecurity, hunger, displacement, loss of loved ones, or put up with absence of essential services, or even of indignity of occupation by a foe and historical rival the least we can do is not to impede or hinder efforts of the likes of Sharrif to bring about peace.

I have heard Inna Aways and the likes of IndhaCadde. Brave they are for they took on force far superior and much more resourceful than their rag tag militia. But they are fools devoid of any military stratagem. Not to mention their appeal is confined in some predictable quarters. But above all the method in which they adopted in order to wage this war is absolutely criminal. It is a fact that every Tigre or TFG soldier killed there are ten or more civilian lives lost. Not counting the avoidable casualties of war: crippling injuries, displacement, orphanage, etc.

This is an ugly war awoowe and xamdi mahad my immediate family and I don’t have to deal with its everyday heart wrenching experiences. My heart goes out to all the folks who have to brave everyday what must be a gloomy prospect.

Let the caravan go on -- on the cyberspace at least.

^^I couldn't have said it better ya Baashi!

Kashafa, adeer weli ma maraykan kaad ragga ka dagaal gelineysaa :D

Ilaah baa caqliga bixiyya...