Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

I'm not Somali, I'm a Somalilandeeeeer

Xarago   

Wa shaaaash.....! Xogsade gadha yadhi aad qadhenka uu tahey maxaan uu dhimey anigu?

Mida kale 'conflict' ma jidho halkani..ee doodu waxay aheyd Somali iyo Somalilander..jawabteydana waxaan ka bixiyay. Gabadhi 'yadhi' ayada aya bad kale nala adey.

Naw...! de af-soomaliga hadi laga qadayo xasasiyaad anigu maxan a qaban kadha.

OG_Girl   

Qurac , No circle , but you just understand the way you want . just try this : If what I said have two meanings , I meant the good one NOT the bad one smile.gif .

If your region become a country , I will be first one to Congratulate.

Mean time...Good Luck.

Xoogsade.. Thanks wallalo.

Salam

Baashi   

Dooddan waa soo noq-noqatay. Qofba abaartiis iyo garashadiis yuu hadlaa. Hadde Somaliduna waa ayada tiraahda arrin qof la toosan baa qof kale tuur la leh. Sideedana in ra'yiga iyo fikirka lagu kala duwanaado ma ahan arrin ugub ah. Dadka maangal-ka ah ayagoo ra'yiga ku kala duwan yey misana isu ogol yihiin qof walba inuu siday la tahay u cabiro ra'yigiisa.

Sidaa daraadeed waxaan qabaa oo ay ila tahay in aan la isku nicin aaraada iyo afkaarta halakan la isku weydaarsado. Oo yaan loo qaadan qofkii yidhaahda goono goosiga iyo gooni-isu taaga waa wax aan habooneyn oo u daran aayaha ummada Soomaaliyeed mustaqbalka fog, inuu neceb yahay kuwa u dooda oo u ololeeya gooni isu taaga Somaliland. Intaa waa iga nasteexo.

Waa tahay! Ninbaa waxuu hees ku yiri:

Sacuba weysha uu dhalo,

Siddig kama jeclaadoo,

Sanka kalama rooro,

Sidaasaan ka dhiganoo,

Isa sudhan waxaan nahay,

Sokeeyoo walaalo ah!

For those who have difficult in Somali, here is one of my favorite political fables:

THE HART was once drinking from a pool and admiring the noble figure he made there. “Ah,†said he, “where can you see such noble horns as these, with such antlers! I wish I had legs more worthy to bear such a noble crown; it is a pity they are so slim and slight.†At that moment, a Hunter approached and sent an arrow whistling after him. Away bounded the Hart, and soon, by the aid of his nimble legs, was nearly out of sight of the Hunter; but not noticing where he was going, he passed under some trees with branches growing low down in which his antlers were caught, so that the Hunter had time to come up. “Alas! alas!†cried the Hart: 'WE OFTEN DESPISE WHAT IS MOST USEFUL TO US

Being a Somali sometimes means Somali national and sometimes ethnic Somali. Everyone who lives in Somalia can be called Somali while we are really know that ethnically they are not Somali. For example, there are several ethnically deferent communities that resides in Somalia such as Somali Bantus (J.wayne from Tanzania), Reer Brava (ethnically from Portuguese), D & M (they call themselves qowmiyada D & M and Arabs. All these groups are called Somalis because they are somali nationals. On the other hand, people of Republic of Djibouti are called i 'guess' Djaboutians or something while we all really know there are two different ethnic groups in Djibouti -Somali and afar. So if the people in Somaliland call themselves Somalilanders that is who they are. what is the problem people? If i remember well we used to call (Mogadishu and other cities in the south)and some especially old generation, including my mum, call people from Somaliland, 'somalileyn' which means Somalilander. If you are against separation its understandable but nothing to do with the term 'Somalilander' its valid and existed long before current status of Somaliland.

IL CAPO   

in truth Somaliland needs to do a whole lot more of convincing to state that they are genuinely capable of having a country of their own and they have start asking around if each and everybody from North West of Somali are ready for it and the reason why i say that is because there are some people from that area who believe it wont work and i agree with them 100%.

just because i agree with those people doesn't neccessarily mean i got anything against that region or the people from it but we somalis need each other regardless where we come from and Qurac and the other Sister..stop dividing us let us all come togather first and solve the current problem then see where we could go from there.

Gabbal   

Og-Girl you defended yourself well sis!

The only difference I noticed was you are fighting for Somali unity, while your opponents are using the unfortunate circumstance of the occupation of Somali Galbeed to further their political cause.

Xarago   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

The only difference I noticed was you are fighting for Somali unity,

Huuno...! which world are you living in, or where you under dillussion over the last 14 years.?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

The only difference I noticed was you are fighting for Somali unity,

Fighting for Somali unity? Fighting being the operative word here I suppose, eh? :rolleyes:

How exactly do you fight for Unity, saaxib? Do you conquer those that "oppose" it? Do you demonise them? What exactly do you need to do to "fight" for Somali unity?

Like I said earlier, this line of discussion is futile. It's not likely to bear any fruit. Even I, the laziest of Somalilanders, find myself digging my dusty flag out and "fighting" my corner here. Trust you me, I, by no means, am convinced that Somaliland will benefit from isolating itself from the rest of Somalia in the long term. I still have my reservations about the whole thing. However, when I see some of the arrogant arguments from the opponents of Somaliland, I can't help but side with my fellow citizens. The citizens of the Self-Declared Republic of Somaliland. The couple of million or so people who decided to go their own way and declare their own country. The people who spent the last fifteen years working to build this proud and self-sufficient country, while all those around them were losing their heads! Yes, fifteen years of hard work and hopeful dreams that have been mostly realised. The only one left to realise is recognition, but that's nothing more than the icing on the cake! It's not a pretty cake, it's not on display yet. But, it's no less a cake than the many found in the UN shop window! It came out of the oven smelling nice and lovely. It's impossible for you to return it to the flour sack now. All the shouting and arguing will not do it. So, why don't you worry about your crumbling doubledecker cake and let us worry about our one. If you're really, really nice we might even agree to put our cake next to yours. icon_razz.gif

Now then, you waved your flags in my face and I returned the compliment with interest. How about we get serious and talk a bit of sense, people.

Baashi   

Originally posted by NGONGE: How about we get serious and talk a bit of sense, people.

Are u ready now for "futile" and "pointless argument"? Really? :D I for one will benefit your wisdom icon_razz.gif

Now, come again and for once tell the forum the rational case for the secession. Is it because the "others" around that corner can't get their acts together? or is it beacuse once upon time there was Britain colony in midst of divided and exploited Somalia? Or is it the grievences and the sense of "victimhood" that drives this secession? Who wants to succeed? Where are the borders of Somaliland?

OG_Girl   

Oooh, NGONGE, your writting all over the place I really don't know where I start... seems HornAfrique's little line really got your nerve.

Or just part of your boredom icon_razz.gif .

Ok, Let us continue with futile discussion since you are paranoid and think the whole world is against you! No one is against the people of Somaliland, all we trying to do here make you understand how we need each other even if the cake smells nice and just waiting to be iced. Smell just like looks can be deceiving and as such is not a bad idea to put the cake on the flour sack and save all of us the hassle of icing. Ask anyone who bakes cakes and they will tell you, icing and displaying is the hardest part cause that is the part which sells your cake. Why beg the world twice in the name of Somalia for a material/display of our cakes when we could beg once? I suggest we should have one big cake baked by all Somalis and make it smell and look nice and that was we only have to display once! :D

One more thing, NGONGE aren’t we playing with the word fight here, when both you and I know what HornAfrique meant by “fighting for Somali unityâ€. We can philosophise with everything and yet not achieve anything, what do you say, we leave this academic exercise for the academics and get on with the post!

Forget all above :D ... and tell who waves their flag here!!! icon_razz.gif

PS: Once you come out, you cant go back to your shell I hope you know that ;)

Salam

Kowneyn   

Some definitions that might help.

Somali- is an ethnic group and a language.

Somalia- is former italian Somaliland...its citizens are Somalians

Somaliland-- is former british Somaliland-- its citizens are Somalilanders.

Djibouti--former french Somaliland-- its citizens are djiboutians.

All speak the Somali language and are classified as Somalis.

Smithwestern,

There is a different political culture in Somaliland...Somaliland was established by mutual consultation and consensus building and not force.

Somaliland army is at Yagoori and in the vicinity of Las Caanood. Laas Caanood is our city and its people are our citizens, therefore its to the credit of our people for recognizing that the looming military showdown was ill-advised and based on shady politics. In fact, the entire Boqor Buur Madow saga, the man who brought peace to your neighborhood, was about this war and it nearly put Somaliland in to a political turmoil...

However, the political landscape of Somaliland has changed now and its possible to end the conflict peacefully.

This whole region and affair was to you nothing more than another political chip to bargain with in nairobi, but to us it proved beyond shadow of a doubt our peoples moral courage and political maturity.

Somaliland is here to stay and as always we ask the people of Somalia to come to their senses and to move on build a government and take care of their affairs.

Kowneyn

NGONGE   

Now, come again and for once tell the forum the rational case for the secession. Is it because the "others" around that corner can't get their acts together? or is it beacuse once upon time there was Britain colony in midst of divided and exploited Somalia? Or is it the grievences and the sense of "victimhood" that drives this secession? Who wants to succeed? Where are the borders of Somaliland?

Do we have to go over this old ground again? I’m sure they’ve already been countless discussions on the reasons for secession. Regardless of what I write here, we’re not going to agree on that point. Who wants to succeed? Is that a rhetorical question?

As for the border question, now that’s a juicy and loaded question. This is something worth replying to. Well, where should I start? Shall we start from the colonial borders? Shall I say the borders of Somaliland are those that existed before the union with Somalia proper? Shall we go back to the 26th of June 1961 or the days that followed up to the 1st of July?

No, lets not. We’ll only be going over old ground again. We’ll argue and argue and then try to rewrite and revise history again. Lets look to the future instead. Lets say it’s an issue open for discussion. Lets compare it to the various border disputes in the world. Disputes that can be peacefully discussed and compromises made about them or war breaking out over them.

The real point I was trying to make there was that Somaliland does exist. The fact that people argue about it and deny its existence is ample proof of that existence. Now, depending on the side you take, you need to convince us why should Somaliland not break away and how that will be achieved. You see, the people of Somaliland have spent the last decade (and more) believing in the idea of a separate nation. To them it’s a reality. The newborn babies are Somaliland citizens and the dying old age pensioners are dead Somalilanders. Some people disagree with that and they have every right to do so. Some people think it’s wrong, show us how is it wrong! What are the benefits of going back to a greater Somalia? Don’t just say it’s wrong and leave it at that. You need to come up with a convincing argument to show the three million or so Somalilanders that putting their eggs in the unstable Somali basket is the best way forward for them. Don’t waste your time and ours going on about the idea of existence and non-existence of that country. This has been going on for years and while you were arguing, they were building and cementing their existence as an independent entity. As Mr Bush would say, “ They’re realities on the groundâ€

Ok, Let us continue with futile discussion since you are paranoid and think the whole world is against you! No one is against the people of Somaliland, all we trying to do here make you understand how we need each other even if the cake smells nice and just waiting to be iced. Smell just like looks can be deceiving and as such is not a bad idea to put the cake on the flour sack and save all of us the hassle of icing. Ask anyone who bakes cakes and they will tell you, icing and displaying is the hardest part cause that is the part which sells your cake. Why beg the world twice in the name of Somalia for a material/display of our cakes when we could beg once? I suggest we should have one big cake baked by all Somalis and make it smell and look nice and that was we only have to display once!

Now, I turn my attention to my dear, OG :D

Again, you seem to have missed the whole point of a futile discussion, dear. It’s one where you say Somaliland should not leave the rest of Somalia and use as proof for your arguments comments such as “But your case is one qabiil want be a counrty!!...I am sorry but that is true.â€

Lets take it step by step here, what are you trying to achieve? You said above that I’m paranoid and think that the whole world is against me (exaggerated a bit there, didn’t we?). You say that Somaliland is part of Somalia but you also go on to say that you will only recognise it if the UN recognised it! This of course does not make any sense. Are you saying the only reason you commented on this topic is your respect for international law? I thought you loved us and wanted us back in the fold?

The person who started this thread uses words such as “There live amongst us some people...â€

What does he/she mean by that? Are these people hidden people? Are they plotting against you behind your backs? Are they not the same people who declared an independent country a very long time ago? Are they not the ones who tell everyone that they’re proud Somalilanders? What does she/he mean by the use of words that convey conspiracy and bad intentions? Is it done to provoke people into a response?...I hope you’ve been following this futile thread I’ve just weaved for you here.

I’m trying to put myself in your shoes here, I think your intention is to convince the “lost†people of Somaliland that their best interests will be better served by sticking with Somalia and not separating. I commend you on your patriotism and respect your intentions. I would also like to hear more about that. I, however, don’t want to hear badly constructed and badly veiled insults. Because like I already said, that’s just pointless, it will only make me and others who hail from that part of the world retaliate with equal rubbish. None of us will get anywhere.

I’m glad you got my cake analogy though; your response to it was good too. Now, why couldn’t you do that from the start?

Lets start again, eh?

Imagine that you’re talking to a fifteen-year-old boy from Somaliland! All he knows is Somaliland. Somalia to him is a foreign country. Now, try to sell your ideas to him.

PS

I’ve always been out of my shell, dear. :D