Sign in to follow this  
Conscious Manipulation

Priorities

A Professor stood before his Islamic Studies class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced a large cup of tea from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things, the faraidh - your prayers, your fasts, your zakah, your da’wah, looking after your family, bringing up your children with the Deen, obeying your parents. The pebbles are the mandubaat, the recommended actions like extra prayers and fasts, giving time to your family, reading the Qur’an, visiting your friends and neighbours, giving Sadaqah.

The sand is the material pleasures and necessities of this temporary and worldy life - the house, the car, eating out." "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important in Islam. Pay attention to the things that are critical when you face Allah (swt) on the Day of Judgement, Youm al Qiyamah. Take out time for your prayers, spend time to teach your children about the beauty of Islam, go regularly to your local da’wah circle. There will always be time to clean the house, and go shopping.

"Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand." One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the tea represented.

The Professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a smile and a cup of tea."

Yes. I have read this story a long time ago; the narrative comes in many forms (father &son , two men etc.). You have, simultaneously, refreshed my memory and put me to sleep... Thank you redface.gif

Xoogsade   

Mutakallim , Was the post that boring to you?

And Btw, Have you read a book by the Name:

Matter: The Other Name For Illusion

By Harun Yahya?