Sign in to follow this  
guraad

Bombardment of the dervish capital at Taleex in northern Somalia.

guraad   

Given the frequency and virulence of the Ethiopian raids, it was natural that the first pan-Somali or Greater Somalia effort against colonial occupation, and for unification of all areas populated by Somalis into one country

*************EDITED**********************

Please don't use qabiil names on our website. We absolutely will not tolerate any violation of our strick qabiil policy regardless of the content in which the name was used. Please respect our rules. If you like to post articles with qabiil names, please edit the qabiil names first and then post them.

Thank You

Admin

http://www.laascaanood.com/waraysiyada/taleh.html

[ July 13, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Admin ]

Sophist   

Letters to the British FRom the much illuminated Hero Sayid Mohamed Abdullah Hassan my god bles hes beloved soul.

-----

1. The British administration received two undatedletters from the Sayyid (preserved here only in translation) on 15 April1905. The first one read: `Now I explain my meaning, that the Governmentgo out of my country in one hour'. The second one commented upon therumours about the railway: `We have heard however that you intend tomake a Railway and that is is being made in Berbera to take into theinterior wherever you wish it to go. We are not pleased at this and wethink that you have started peaceful proposals and treachery at the sametime. ... The very men who designed the War with us design now alsothis railway and for the very same purpose. ... If you wish to make arailway, make it from Zeyla to Mandaha towards Harar [the old caravanroute]'.6Compare for similar remarks Jardine, Mad Mullah,162-8 and PRO CO535, vol. 11.inal Arabic letters were kept in Somaliland, where most appear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 4

4LIDWIEN KAPTEIJNSto have been lost. Although the translations (quoted extensivelyin Jardine's The Mad Mullah of Somaliland), more or less succeed in conveying the general meaning of the letters, the present Arabic text allows us to hear the Sayyid, as it were, `speak' Arabic. For scholarly conclusions about the Sayyid's Arabic, which was of course not his native tongue but the language of his education and religious training, we must await expert linguistic study.However, even impressionistically, the Sayyid's relatively high-brow, standard, and grammatically always correct Arabic, though with its distinct Egyptian and Sudanese ring, contributes another small clue to the life and character of this flamboyant historical personality.Arabic

-----------------------

Arabic can not be put here for technical reasons/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 8

8LIDWIEN KAPTEIJNS Translation "Praise be to God in all circumstances. Thereafter: this letter comes from Mu ammad b. fiAbd All h and all the Dervishes to GeneralSwayne. The objective of the letter consists of several things.First, we inform you that our people arrived and informed us that you treated them well. They informed us that you put the country14in order. Also, that you say that you will go away from the country, that is, from the Nugaal and Buuhoodleh and their envi-rons. At this we rejoiced greatly though our objective desire is for you to leave the whole of Somalia and eventually you will do so in peace or perhaps in force; the choice of course is yours. They also informed us that you have asked from us that no discord may arise ever. They also told us that you love us greatly and moreover praised you much. Now we let you know that we have accepted the peace settlement;we will not cause discord. If discord is caused by your people who are with you, we will inform you of this situation and will not move against them except after notifying you. We also let you know that the country is secure; no one is in fear of us. If anindividual or group comes from you to us, we will treat themwell. This is one issue.Secondly, we inform you that we are not like [other] people,for lying is forbidden to us, as are deceit, slander and greed. Youwill never see lies or deceit from us, because we are people ofthe Book, people of the sharifia, people of the truth, and people of God, and God has made lying, deceit, slander, greed and all evil deeds unlawful for us. If we tell you something, do not doubt it and do not ever let something different from what we14In Arabic the word `the country' occurs twice, undoubtedly by mistake.said enter your mind. This is another issue.

Page 9

A LETTER FROM MU AMMAD fiABD ALL H ASAN9Thirdly, I inform you that the people who are with you are evildoers and do not like the peace settlement in general or inparticular. They do not like the government; they want you to suffer loss, they covet your money and do not understand anything.They have two colours; at times they come to you and at othertimes to us. The greatest evildoers are those in whom you have put your trust, foremost fiAli fiUtübi15and all the fi qils . But Magan Am n is insolent. As for Müs Igarreh,16from him one hears only reconciliation and he does not like corruption and loss. If you want peace on all sides, then arrest the evildoers, most of all fiUtübi and thefi qils. Discipline Magan Am n. Don't discount my words, for my words are sincerity and truth. You will see the upshot of my words. This is another issue.Fourthly, don't listen to the words of slanderers; we, similarly,will not listen to their words. Know that we heard that they changed our words and our writing. They informed you that the Dervishes setout to attack you, but this is false. They want to cause trouble; you are witness to this. We also inform you that they wrote us a letter with no good in it, and it is shown in this way that they undermine your cause, so how would they not undermine my cause? I heard that God exposed them and that their lies were revealed to the admin-istration. This only occurred because of my [good] intention, my[honest] heart and the miraculous power that our mission is based upon. How would it be possible for me to be corrupt, while I am the wisest of people and the greatest in learning, intelligence, forbearance and conviction. Indeed, I wrote to you only good and kind [words]. I asked you to leave my land by your own choice and decision, without coercion or force. But what prompted me to mention `in one hour', which sowed doubt in your heart; what prompted me was only my love for my land. As for the15Spelled fiAtübi one time and fiUtübi another.16The Somali word igarrehmeans `the one who owns a she-camel whoseown offspring has been taken away from her but who is nevertheless milked for consumption by others'. It expresses the Sayyid's criticism ofMüs F ra 's service to the colonial government rather than (as the Sayyidwould put it) to his own people.mention of the railway, the people whose names and affiliations

------------

That was the man.

guraad   

Sophist ,

Thats just great Bro , thanks for posting it. smile.gif

We somali people struggled to free this holy land from the hands of GREAT BRITAIN/ETHIOPIA . and some people want to divide now . they want to divide our great somali land and people . THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

it's wrong to use statue's of a human being as that is considerd to be idolizations which is against the shahadah and therefore makes you a kafir. but then again puntlanders and there mad grandfather have no sense of religion or reality.

SA7RAWY   

Saxib, respect our rules and stop attacking other nomads. If you are not aware of our profanity policy, please read the rules before you start posting again.

This is a first warning.

Admin

[ July 13, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Admin ]