Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Pictures: Burco City Plaza Hotel

BN   

Nice indeed.

A little off-topic but it seems Burco has a lot of charm and character; Hargeisa, in comparison, seems rather boring and far too political. At least those are my views as an outsider... :D

P.S. Reer SL do have a nack for designing good websites; very clean and professional.

NGONGE   

My lovely Burco city looks nice there. What a posh hotel! Such photos clam the heart and deceive you into thinking that the whole city is as nice and modern as these images reveal. This seems to be the case with most pictures of Somali cities. They’re all modern! All their residents live in newly built houses and cars a plenty.

Nobody who goes back and takes photos ever comes back to show a full and real image of the poor, the orphans, the drugged up, the lost, the dirt, the street dwellers, et al.

Is there logic to this madness? Do we get shown these impressive photos so we’d go back and make use of those hotels or maybe invest in something similar? Are they trying to “protect†us from the harsh reality of Somali life?

Nice photos though.

N.O.R.F   

There are many issues you have raised and these need to be addressed, lack of support and services for the poor is a prominant one. Without some sort of welfare system that can at least provide hope in the midst of desperation.

However, it does make you proud and feel a sense of 'i have something to go back to' or is that just my stomach rumbling at the thought of delicious food on the roof top amidst welcoming light winds and stars abright. :D :cool:

Matkey   

Nobody who goes back and takes photos ever comes back to show a full and real image of the poor, the orphans, the drugged up, the lost, the dirt, the street dwellers, et al.

Run! Where are the infrastructures i.e. hospitals, roads, transportations, schools and so on. i believe thse is trend which needs to be focused on.

raula   

^^^I enjoyed the Ken. Njuguna stories (Cock & bull stories) thx. I liked the pic in where they are at the beach-don't ask my why ;):D and the 'Sophisticated' city goat-lol, never knew city goats were such pricy commodities :D;)

And for godsake-why is it that every mini-town hall meeting that I see in somalia/somaliland etc- is decorated with CHRISMAS lighting in ODD COLORS :eek: lord have mercy! What happened to INTERIOR DECORATORS ;)

N'wayz, the pics are nice. Laakin, it seems to me that land/plot where the house/hotel/premises is built is SUPER DRY(apart from few trees or grass on secluded compound)-VERY ARID :mad:And this is the trend near all construction sites in the SOMALI-WEYN(the whole country that is).

Warmoog   

NGONGE,

I've often wondered why people speak repetitively of the 'good life' in Somaliland when poverty is still the norm. In talking to those who have paid recent visits, all one hears about are businesses, large homes, vehicles, and the other inanimate objects used to give value to human life. I'm beginning to think the term ciidan (the domestic sort) epitomizes the ultimate aspirations of this new generation, which seems to be comprised largely of those who have returned from the west, and their budding bourgeois mentality. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live comfortably. What I cannot undestand is the obsession with excess, particularly when the living conditions of so many are still inadequate at best.