Sign in to follow this  
Haseena

Sayings of the Salaf: Their Weeping and Grief When Reminded of al-Aakhirah

Haseena   

Taken from al-Hilyat al-Awliya of Abu Nu'aym

On the authority of Ja'far ibn Burqaan who said "I came to know that Salman al-Faarisee (ra) used to say: "Three things make me laugh and three things make me cry. I laugh at the one who is hopeful of the world yet death seeks him; the one who is neglectful (of his Lord) while he is not neglected (by Him); the one who laughs at the top of his voice, while he does not know whether he is pleasing his Lord or displeasing Him. Three things make me cry: parting from our beloved Muhammad (saw) and his Companions; the terror of the onset of the pangs of death and the standing in front of the Lord of the Worlds while not knowing whether I will be turned towards the Fire or Paradise".

Sufyan ath-Thawree reported that Abu Dharr al-Ghafari was with al-Ka'b when he said: "O People, I am Jundub al-Ghafari, hurry to the compassionate brother who gives sincere advice." The people gathered around him, and he said

"Do you not know that if one of you intends to go on a journey then does he not take provisions which will make the journey easier and comfortable for him, and enable him to reach his destination?"

They replied "Of course". He then said

"The journey to the day of Resurrection is longer than (any journey) you intend (to embark upon) so take that which will make your journey easier and comfortable for you".

They asked "What is it that will make it easier and comfortable for us?" He replied

"Perform hajj for the terrible things to come; fast on an extremely hot day, for the duration of the resurrection; pray two rakahs in the darkness of the night for the loneliness and coldness of the grave; say a good word or restrain from bad talk for the standing on the Great Day; and give charity with your wealth in hope that you will be saved from other such (calamities and trials)."

"Make in the world two gatherings, a gathering in search for the Hereafter, and a gathering in search for the halaal. The third type of gathering will harm you and not benefit you, so do not desire it".

"Make your wealth into two dirhams, a dirham you spend on your families in every way you can, and a dirham that you put forward for the Hereafter. The third type of dirham will harm you and not benefit you, so do not desire it."

It is reported on the authority of Salaan ibn Abi Muti' who said, "A container of water was brought to al-Hasan to break his fast with, but when he brought it close to his mouth he began to weep and said, "I remembered the

wish of the inhabitants of the Fire in their saying

"Pour on us some water..." (7:50)

And then I remembered the reply to them

"Surely Allaah has forbidden both (water and provision to the disbelievers)" (7:50)

Al-Hasan said "Verily you have insufficient time, your actions are sealed, death is looking over you and the Fire is in front of you. And by Allaah whatever you see (i.e. the world) is going. So expect the decision of Allaah every day and night, and let one look to what he has put forward for himself."

He also said "O son of Adam! You are nothing but days, whenever a day goes past, a part of you (also) goes".

He also said "It is befitting for the one who knows that death is his place of arrival, the hour is his appointed time, and the standing in front of Allaah, the Most High, is his place of meeting, that his sadness lengthens"

Thaabit al-Banaani said "We were following a funeral procession and we saw nothing but people covering their faces while weeping or covering their faces while reflecting".

Sufyan ibn Uyaynah said that Ibrahim at-Taymee said "I imagined myself in the Hellfire with its iron chains and blazing fire eating from Zaqqoom (a tree in hell with exceedingly bitter fruit), and drinking from its Zamhareer (a bitterly cold drink), so I said "O my soul what do you long for?" It replied "To return to the world and perform a righteous action by which I will be saved form this punishment". I also imagined myself in Paradise with its Hoori dressed in silken garments (of Paradise) with gold embroidery. I said "O my soul! What do you long for?" It said "To return to the world and perform a righteous action by which this reward will increase." So I said to myself "You are in the world and (surrounded by) aspirations".

On the authority of Bukayr or Abu Bukayr that Ibrahim at-Taymee said "The one who is not afflicted with sadness and grief should fear being from the people of the Fire because the people of Paradise will say

"All praises and thanks be to Allaah, who has removed from us grief" (35:34)

It is necessary for the one who does not fear (the punishment of Allaah) to be fearful of not being from among the people of Paradise, because they will say

"Aforetime we were afraid with our families (from the punishment of Allaah)" (52:26)

Zakariyyah al-'Abdee reported about Ibrahim an-Nakha'i that he wept during his illness and the people said to him "O Abu Imran! What makes you weep?" He replied,

"How can I not weep while I am waiting for a messenger from my Lord, to inform me whether it is this or that (i.e. Paradise or Hellfire)".

Hisham ibn Hassan said "When it was said to Muhammad ibn Waasi' "In what state do you wake up, O Abu Abdullah?". He replied "What is one to think of a man who moves a stage closer to the Hereafter every day?"

Ya Allaah! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire [2:201]

Ya Allaah! Let not our hearts deviate from the truth after You have guided us and bestow upon us mercy from Your grace. Verily you are the Giver of bounties without measure [3:8]

Ya Allaah! Forgive us our sins and efface our bad deeds and take our souls in the company of the righteous. And grant us that which You have promised us by Your Messengers and save us from shame on the Day of Judgement. Verily You never fail to fulfil Your Promise [3:194-195]

Ameen!

Hayat   

takbir. allahu-akbar. jazakumlahu sisters. you know the iman does wear out, the like of clothes and its through constent reminders like these, that we are wacked in the head. yes, my head is straightend for the day.

Nur   

Haseena sis

Great reminder, below I add one of my old eNuri Heart softners, may Allah SWT show us the way.

Once upon a time there was this man in the jungles, enjoying a nice day watching the equatorial lush green foliage and the exotic animal life, suddenly, the man hears the movement of a lion behind him, he runs for his life, but the sounds got closer and closer, and the man keeps running for his life.

The man came face to face with the lion, and to his right a deep well, his options are narrowed between drowning in the well and being chewed by a hungry lion, the man decides to jump in the well hoisting himself with a rope tied to the top of the well for drawing water.

As he reached the bottom of the well, the man saw a huge man-eating snake taking a nap at the bottom, the man pulls himself up in the middle of the well, suspended between a hungry lion on the top and a sleeping snake at the bottom.

Meanwhile the man noticed that two mice, one black and one white were chewing the rope he was hanging on, making it thinner and thinner.

The man begins to swing with the rope hitting the sides of the walls of the well periodically, and suddenly feels a sticky feeling on his shoulder, as he examined what it was, he finds that it is honey as there was a bee colony on the wall of the well, the man starts licking the honey to his satisfaction until he remembers where he is and jumps out of bed. The man was dreaming all along.

The man went to a Sheikh to interpret his dream:

The sheikh laughing, asks him :

" You do not understand this dream?"

The man replied "yes sir, I do not, please interpret it for me"

The Sheikh said " The lion that was chasing you is the angel of Death ( Malakul Mowt)

The well which housed the snake is your grave

The Rope in the well that you were hanging on, was your lifetime ticking away

The Rodents chewing your Rope , black and white mice are the day and the night.

The man asks "The honey, Sir, What is the honey"

The sheikh says :

The honey is the life of this world ( Dunyaa), its temptations which made you forget that there was death behind you and a grave ahead of you. You end up in the grave while savoring the taste of the honey up until you find yourself standing trial for your deeds in a court of law of the most just kind,

Think Different Today

Stop Swinging, and licking the honey

Repent

Nur

--------------------

Kuwa iga da'weyn, waa iga ajar badan yihiin, Kuwa iga da' yar, waa iga dambi yaryihiin.

Haseena   

Bismillah

Salamu Calaykum

Baraka Allah fik akhi, I very much like that "story", may Allah reward you immensely for the work you are doing, dawah isn't easy.

I’ve come across a “saying†of Ibnul Qayim Al Jawziah (rahimuhullah) and I thought it could be placed under this thread, I’ve saved it from 2004, maybe some of you have read it and others haven’t, anyway enjoy. I love it, due to the shaikhs emphasis on what is really important.

Ibn al-Qayyim, rahimahullah, said: “The lowest of people in determination and the most dejected of individuals is he who is content with false hopes instead of realities, and his self fascinates and enjoys them, and they are – by the life of Allah – (like) the main wealth of the penniless man and the false trader; (and all this is nothing but) the strength of the empty self, which has been convinced with dreams rather than persevering, and with false anticipations rather than truths.

“It is the most harmful of things to the man, and it gives birth to disabilities and laziness, and (also) gives birth to extremism, wastage, anxiousness and regret.â€

And he, rahimahullah, explained that one of the main indications of success, “is when a slave is guided to thinking about the momentary-obligation and his job, (when) all his goals are gathered for it. So the knower, is the son of his time, so if it (the time) is lost, all his interests are lost, as all interests are established in time, hence when time is lost, those interests will not be attained. ash-Shafi’ee, radiallahu ‘anh, said: I accompanied the Soofiyyah and did not benefit from them except two statements, one of which is: Time is a sword - you strike it, or it strikes you. The other being: Yourself, if you don’t engage it in truth, it will engage you in evil.