Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

should NFD (northern frontier district) opt for self determination?

Coloow   

assalamu calaykum,

I am creating this thread to get the opinion of my fellow somalis from the Northern frontier district in Kenya (and those who live in various parts of kenya).

Of course my non-sijui bros/sis are welcome to contribute.

As a second generation somali born in the NFD, I became exposed quite early to the plight of ethnic somalis in kenya. As a young lad, I remember being harrassed by the kenyan police who were there to defend us. Somalis were often refered to as shiftas. I remember the names of my maternal uncles "Hassan Gooro" and Abdullahi gamaas " sending shivers on the vains of adoon army!

Following the negative portrayal, the word shifta evoked images of marauding gangs who caused death, maiming and destruction. By the reality was they were freedom fighters.

As a young lad, I recall being a student in one of kenya's finest high schools where I was constantly refered to as shifta- and accorded the status of a second class citizen. Even though education wise I exhaled, I remembered being at the lowest league in terms of statues. Likewise, I witnessed how my fellow somalis were harrassed in eastleigh. I left kenya when the state of emergency was declared in NFD and the subsequent massacres in Garisa, Wajir and mandera. While in somalia i came in direct contact with "greater somalia" sentiment then commonly voiced and recieving the blessings of somali governments.

Today, however, there is a considerable evidence to suggest the spirit of somali nationalism has waned.

But the harrassment and constant targeting of somalis continue in kenya. On a recent trip which i undertook after years of living in exile, I was met with the same kind of hatred by the Kenyans.

In eastleigh which has become home to many somalis I learnt that somalis lived under a state of fear. My trip took me also to Mombasa, and the NFD.

I found that the hatred of somalis is even rampant in that part of kenya. But my biggest surprise was to learn that the state of emergency declared in 1967 was still in use in the NFD. for those of you who are not familiar with this, several acts were passed by the various kenyan government to surpress somali nationalism. these include:

The north-eastern province and contagious district regulations , which is a subsidiary legislation of the preservation of public security act, chapter 57 of the laws of kenya. Within this legislation are a number of regulations; the public security order L:N 265 which gives the armed forces the right to shoot any shifta (another word for somalis), LN 266 (armed forces) which gives the army the power to court marshall.. the public security control of movement ln 43 (which limits freedom of movement of somalis).

The northern frontier is backward in terms of social , political and economic aspects. there is not tarmic roads, water resources are limited despite it being the largest province in kenya.

The somalis who own business in non-NFD area such as machakos, narok, naivasha to name a few are robbed occassionally, denied basic rights.

I know that following the elections in kenya some pragmatic leaders were elected. But they have not solved the problem such as equal rights.

Similiarly, I know that our brethen in former somalia are at against each other's throats- but that should of course not deter them from thinking of us.

In this respect, joining a greater somalia is a utopic idea, but should we seek independence? independence from these adoons? self governance?

If we are given independence do you think, we could be a viable country economic wise?

Gabbal   

Entrepreneur first I would like to welcome you back to Politics section. Welcome.

They say that if the heart is strong, the mind will follow; and when the mind is in league with the heart, you can do anything you put your mind to it.

A Somali Republic comprised of all our regions is not utopic, if your heart is with it and your mind acknowledges it.

My knowledge of the NFD is not that great, but I know that it is the lowest in every sector of Kenyan society,i.e health, education, economy, etc. At least in this moment I don't think independence as a sovereign state is a very good idea, it might even be disastrous.

Should it seek self-determination? Of course! Enjoin into a greater Somalia? Of course! Is self determination going to be easy? Absolutely not!

Kenya is one of the West's most longest-standing allies in the African continent. It will try to stop self-determination by saying that if the Somalis are let go, Kenya as a state will virtually disintegrat for practical reasons. Kikuya and the various other ethnic groups will try to seperate, thereby making Kenya a non-existent country. It will have every support in everyway. Self-determination is not going to be easy.

I want to let our Somali brethren from Kenya know that we know what kind of predicament they're in and inshallah a future Somali Republic will make sure they're not in the dark. There situation will be known to the world.

The reason why the Kenyans treat the Somali siju like that should be obvious why the NFD should not be part of Kenya. They don't consider the Somalis as Kenyans, because the Somali is like a cat in a house of dogs, or a goat in a house of sheeps! The various ethnicities of Kenya look alike, speak Bantu languages, and have similar pagan cultures. What about this Somali, Muslim, Cushite, with his mixed physical features? They have an inferiority complex when it comes to us, and they're trying to sate it by the treatment they give our people in their country.

Allah, subxanawatacala, does not forget those who don't forget Him. Ilaahay, swt, is watching, I hope our Somali brethren in Kenya don't lose patience for the day will come when they are free!

Coloow   

Hornafrique,

Thanks sxb for the wlc and the informative response. I have travelled in the former republic of somalia quite extensively. My journey of meeting my somali people took me to as far north as Zeylac and south as Raskambooni.

Despite the civil war that has plagued our people, there is still love for somalis from kenya. every somali I met was indeed aware that the somalis in the NFD are victims of colonialism.

So, it is not a utopia to relive somalinimo. However, as things are at present, I think we need to wait for things to settle. But I wonder what kind of message to warlords meeting in Doofareey sending to the government? Kenya is one the players who don't want a peaceful somalia!

The problem saaxib is I want to start a shifta movement that would pave the way for "self determination". But it seems that the kenyan government is using the concept of terrorism to imprison somalis.

Marka noo soo duceeya si aan gumeysiga madoow iskaaga dhaadhacino!

Macalin   

Ent that was a nicely put article...but u have to consider so many things for u to able to declare autonomy!

banks,military,infrastructure,economic stabilty,manpower,taxing,and so many stuff that requires techincalities.

its good to be autonomous but we first should libearte ourselves economically!...i have the ideas...and solutions.

will give u a detailed version(in a sof copy)...to u!

Coloow   

Lakkad, thank you for your input. I am looking forward to reading the solutions!

The elements you mentioned are very important saaxib. But I have given them some thoughts. Economic development is no longer measured in comparative advantages (land, labour etc). In this modern world, it is competitive advantages (brain based resources)- and I am sure we do have that!

There is a resource drain in the NFD. Most of the livestock (which makes the backbone of the local economy is transported southwards to feed the Adoons), most of the educated people from NFD are either abroad (living in exile) or are officials in down kenya contributing to their dynamics of the colonial state!

That was very well said Entre. I very much agree with you, they should declare independence, and when the times comes (Somalia United) join their brothers. Ogadenia should also do the same.

I have lived in Nairobi, Mombasa kenya for about 4yrs. And i have to tell you this, Somali-Kenyans are the smartest people of all Somalis. But they are too nice, submissive (to the kenyans?) and never revolt. There should have been a CIVIL WAR in Kenya by this time, bcuz of their mistreatment of the minorities.

By the way, whats the population of the Somalis in Kenya?

Gabbal   

Truly not a good idea Entre. At the time of age we're in, you will be called anything but a liberator.

Terrorist, rebel, murderer, butcher, and guerrilla are a sampling of the names you will be called, but a freedom-fighter is definitely not among that group.

Once again I stress diplomacy. Unless you're the Great Satan and have the resources to invade without thinking, diplomacy is the way to go.

Macalin   

Ent---like i said, wallahi its a difficult process that requires a lot of thought.

The livestock yu mentioned is really not that of a economic solution, in this modern age of high tech and high speed data, we are incapable of becoming a regional autonomy let alone a state of its own.

What the ppl need is education and i mean civil education, yu have to have in mind that taxes(zakat-in islam) is a really good source of income for any state,and we dont even have a good number of taxing idealogies and money wise technocrats...

and plus,the MAIN somalia is in shambles,and unless that country cleans its mess,theres no feasable solution to this idea-i mean look at somaland,which after 12yrs is yet to be recognised as a nation-

Inshallah am on the road right now but i will give you my bigger picture on this later!

macsalaama

Coloow   

Nin Yaabanow,

Saaxib a difficult question to answer with certainity! In the census conducted by the kenyan authorities in 1979, there were nearly 290 000 somalis. Twenty years later that number has jumped to nearly 870 000 somalis.

You need to have some kind of permanent residence to be counted in the census. But most somalis in the NFD are pastrolists and my guess is that the number 870 000 are those that live in towns.

Nin Yaaban- saaxib growing under colonial rule makes one mentally impotent.

Hornafrique; you are right- this is not perhaps the right time to start a war of liberation. But I would like to start some sort of liasson with somalis to bring the NFD-issue to the agenda.

This shifta war that I am propogating for would be quite different. We are going to use peaceful means insha allah.

Lakkad, true: paying taxes is not a common thing among somalis anywhere. I have mailed the kenyan government to provide me with trade statistics for the NFD (the regional domestic production, regional per capita income etc, livestock exports, inhabitants etc).

I am still waiting for that!

AYOUB   

Entre

As you are aware Somalia's police and army have done much worse things to fellow Somalis than the Kenyans have to their ethnic Somalis. Although I support your call for self-determination, what are gaining from calling people 'adoons'?. Somalis in Kenya have have been allowed to reach much higher in every sector of society compared to Somalia's ethnic Bantus, do they have the right for self-determination?

Originally posted by Hornafriqe:

The various ethnicities of Kenya look alike, speak Bantu languages, and have similar pagan cultures. What about this Somali, Muslim, Cushite, with his mixed physical features? They have an inferiority complex when it comes to us, and they're trying to sate it by the treatment they give our people in their country.

Somalis are not the the only Muslims in Kenya, the whole of the east coast is occupied by people who might not have your 'cushite' features but they are certainly not pagan.

Coloow   

Brother Ayoub-sheikh,

The usage of "adoon" was out of anger and if that offended you or any other reader- my heartfelt appology. I use the "adoon" word to differentiate between the somalis and non-somalis.

I disagree to your thesis that somalis in Kenya have made strides. saaxib, the NFD despite all its resources is backward in terms of economic development and education not to mention the constant denial of basic civil rights. Just to name a few things:

*North eastern is the only province in kenya that lacks tarmac roads.

*There is no massmedia represented (the two largest dailies don't report on development from NEP)

*Exams (KCE) have been cancelled on several occassions contributing to the lack of somalis who enter universities.

*there is still state of emergency (the police force in NFD wear special uniforms and have the right to detain and shot "shifts".

*as a somali born in the NFD or in kenya for that matter, you can hardly walk in the streets of nairobi, mombasa, nakuru etc without being asked "lete kpande"

*you are denied passport ( a basic right that other kenyans enjoy)

*rape of somali women is sanctioned!!!

etc...

Gediid   

Originally posted by Entrepreneur:

Brother Ayoub-sheikh,

The usage of "adoon" was out of anger and if that offended you or any other reader- my heartfelt appology. I use the "adoon" word to differentiate between the somalis and non-somalis.

I disagree to your thesis that somalis in Kenya have made strides. saaxib, the NFD despite all its resources is backward in terms of economic development and education not to mention the constant denial of basic civil rights. Just to name a few things:

*North eastern is the only province in kenya that lacks tarmac roads.

*There is no massmedia represented (the two largest dailies don't report on development from NEP)

*Exams (KCE) have been cancelled on several occassions contributing to the lack of somalis who enter universities.

*there is still state of emergency (the police force in NFD wear special uniforms and have the right to detain and shot "shifts".

*as a somali born in the NFD or in kenya for that matter, you can hardly walk in the streets of nairobi, mombasa, nakuru etc without being asked "lete kpande"

*you are denied passport ( a basic right that other kenyans enjoy)

*rape of somali women is sanctioned!!!

etc...

I feel your pain and anguish Entrepenuer because I have witnessed similar tragedies but not the hands of kenyans or Ethiopians but at the hands of fellow Somalis themselves.

Salaan...

I think NFD might have been a part of Soomaaliya had it not been Soomaalis who in the 1950 decided to have the Talyaani back to rule the southern part of the country, albeit being under the UN's trustee.

In that time, the British colonialists wanted to annex and rule the southern part in that last ten years of UN trusteeship. Soomaalis chose the Talyaani. The British got mad. And punished us by rewarding that Soomaali territory to Kenya. Even though right before Kenya became a sovereign country, British people wanted to give NFDers a referendum, but they cancelled it in the last minute when it became apparently the overwhelming majority would vote to be part of newly created Soomaali Republic. British folks betrayed our brothers and sisters by placing them under the authority of Kenyaati--dad ay isku dhaqan, luuqad iyo diinba aheen.

Back to current situation now, one thing that is too good to be true is that Reer NFD are over-too-humble, in other words too maskiin. Being humble is great, however in this case, it is bitter. Kenyaati won't allow Reer NFD to secede peacefully or in referendum, that won't happen. One clear thing is an effective guerilla war that might surely work or at least bring Kikuyu-dominated Kenyaati politics to its knees. I heard there had been a guerilla war before, a rather one like hit-and-run, which the Kenyans called them "shufta."

The ultimate realization that will work for sure as it mostly does in Africa is a guerilla war. Not now, of course. When Soomaaliya becomes stable and strongly united, both econimically and politically as well, in that case, NFD will need a definite guerilla forces, and we will support them with forces and financial.

We tried it in Soomaali Galbeed, we had almost won in that war, were it not the Soviet and Cuban forces with Itoobiyaans.

Macsalaama.

Paragon   

Should people talk of solutions to a problem that is difficult to farthom? I find the notion of saying NFD Somalis must, and should, by any means secede from Kenyan rule abit shallow and less thought of. For God's sake, how can one seek independence from one rule to no rule? Let Somalia get back on its feet, and only then would the talk of self-determination or total independence make sense.

hmm, a dilemma, sorry, it seems everyone in a way agreeing to the issue of liberating nfd, well tis possible, the question is, when is somalia gonna liberate itself?

you see we have to think about this in defferent corners, you have the somalia crying still, you have the ethopian side of somalia wanting to join up all in time, and then you have the part of kenya wanting to join up also to the somali republic, and yet the somali republic is no where to be found, still lost in the midst of its own people.

i understand what you are trying to say enterpreneur, but lets not act in anger but in wisdom. you see alot of things are done out of anger and lead to a point of no return, so a most concise way would be to negotiate with the government of kenya, and u don't go straight to them, u dig up the cases, and fight it as a human rights issue, u take it to the formarly known committee OAU, sorry lost the name there, but u can take it in that way.

now since u deal with this in a human act way, u give the somali kenyans their respect and dignity back, there way of living in harmony, although the government won't be pleased, but when certain decisions are made, i believe the nfd people will have it under control. without wars and without fighting for independence.

now when that is achieved, i believe maybe then we will here the republic of somalia starting to come along and building itself. and whenit is built, u just take the issue to the laws and boundary acts etc.

a suggestion from a sista