Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Obama 08, the world holds its breath....

Obama Sweeps Dixville Notch, Harts Location

Rating: 4.0 of 512345 Font Font

close windowElection Day was not even a half an hour or so old when Barack Obama won by a landslide—in the New Hampshire towns of Dixville Notch and Harts Location. Does it foreshadow something for the general election? Maybe, maybe not.

Dixville Notch is a village in northern New Hampshire of seventy five people, including this year twenty one registered voters. Harts Location is in the center of New Hampshire with twenty nine voters. Both towns garner some free publicity every election and primary by opening the polls at midnight and voting in time to announce the results a few minutes later. The results in 2008 are encouraging for Barack Obama.

In Dixville Notch, Barack Obama garnered fifteen votes to McCain's six. In Hart's Location, Barack Obama got seventeen votes, McCain ten votes, and Ron Paul two votes.

Are these early results indicative of a larger trend? George W. Bush won the general election in Dixville Notch and Harts Location in 2000 and 2004. On the other hand President Bush did not win New Hampshire in 2004. But on the other hand both towns tend to go Republican in the general election. And on yet the other hand Barack Obama won the 2008 Democratic Primary in Dixville Notch and Harts Location even though Hillary Clinton carried New Hampshire handily.

The last RealClearPolitics poll average put Barack Obama ahead of John McCain in New Hampshire by ten points. However John McCain is considered very popular in New Hampshire, where his maverick image tends to appeal to the cantankerous, independent streak on the typical New Hampshire voter. John McCain won the New Hampshire Primary in both 2000 and 2008. So New Hampshire is still considered a long shot possibility for a John McCain pick up if the sampling methods of the polls, which tend to favor Democrats, prove to be wrong and thus understating John McCain's strength.

New Hampshire has four electoral votes, nto very many compared to larger states considered battlegrounds such as Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. But if the election is close, and a few of the late polls suggest that it might be, New Hampshire might be a prize worth snatching.

lool. I am a resident so I could not vote, but maybe in his second term I will be able to insha Allah.

I am doing well brother, bussy with family and work. I hope all is well with you in Liberal Boston.

"Live in interetsing times, an old Chinese proverb."

Is tonight not gonna be interesting? :D

^^^Its hope adeer, a new President who has visited NFD and dressed up as a Somali elder, not to mention his daughters name is So-Malia

The world is changing and we must also change and meet the challange.

Last time I checked, 2 of you were throwing jabs at each other, what have changed? :D:D

Anyways,Duke how do you see US elections and all the crazy campaign rhetoric and negative adds? Compare it to the British one..

Gheele, I have respect for all my people in SOL, even old Crazy horse who is my latest frienemy.

As for Che, he is a lovely bloke, liberal and all.

As for your question, the US elections are not about substance its all about perception, there are no manifesto's or plans, just rehearsed talking points and shouts of "Liberal" and Joe the plumber and allot of rubbish. Obama is a brilliant polished politician even more so than Clinton and he had a great environment and a weak GOP to deal with.

I could not imagine a Sarah Palin getting any sort of respect in Britain or going on News night to face jeremy Paxman?

Or the British public taking foreign policy advice from Joe the Plumber, that would be unthinkable and that’s why I find the American system and media quite annoying. They have a great system that took control of continental America but that system includes deluding the average citizen talking down to them and pretending they are so brainless that one has to present politics as entertainment. Hence why Saturday Night Live and the Daily show are taking seriously and have huge followers, you will only know why this is the case if you watched CNN and fox in comparison to the British news oulets.

The UK is a tougher climate but hey we had Blair who was not much on substance and Brown who is struggling because he has too much of it.

I guess you guys don't have this length campaign and millions of dollar spending on political adds either.

As for the SOL members and your relationship with them, keep your patience and express your thoughts, after all this is just cyberspace.

^^^Gheele,

We [uK] have nothing compared to this two year 2 billion dollar campaign. Though we are only 60 million and smaller than Texas or California in land mass.

It has been interesting and I loved the Obama campaign they were tough and focused, kind of like what I would want in a political movement back home.

Xiin, yes I did and as I said in other thread, I live in southern republican red state and McCain will carry it with ease. Having said that, democrats came out in huge number especially the African American voters.