Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

XUSKA MAALINTA SHUHADADA SNM - 17 OCTOBER

STOIC   

^Curiosity..Why do you guys always equate marqaan with people from the North when in fact we all know that every Somali from all walks of life consumes this thing...Granted that maybe they were the biggest consumers/traders back in the days, but come on lets be honest every Somali region consumes it..I have lived in Meru town (where still some of my immediate family lives) nowadays the majority of the people working or dealing are NOT the notherners anymore...Bloody Somali marqaan!

Stoic

Curiosity..Why do you guys always equate marqaan with people from the North when in fact we all know that every Somali from all walks of life consumes this thing...Granted that maybe they were the biggest consumers/traders back in the days, but come on lets be honest every Somali region consumes it..I have lived in Meru town (where still some of my immediate family lives) nowadays the majority of the people working or dealing are NOT the notherners anymore...Bloody Somali marqaan!

Stoic the fact is, the southern somalis were tought Qat by northern folks, but as they say the southerns became more Royal than the kings of Qat. Laga barte laga badi. :D

STOIC   

^^Dhee markaa all Somali is Marqaan land..I think it is a cheap-shot to yell every time Somaliland comes in picture marqaan land.The biggest traders in this thing nowadays are NOT the northerners..I remember back when I lived in Meru there were others non-Northern Somalis sending the qat to places like England and Holland..

STOIC   

^ :D I was just pointing out the hypocrisy! Its like me saying Jamaicans are the only once that smoke weed....

STOIC   

^ Stereotypes are evil you can't fight it...I'll hook you with Shiisha...I live in a dry city with no Somali khat traders unless I take Chinatown bus to New York... :D

Liibaan   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

^When it comes to stereotypes, hypocrisy matters little.Now, I heard you know somebody. Hook me up
:D

Good or bad most stereotypes carry some truth or they would not exist

Som@li   

Originally posted by STOIC:

^Curiosity..Why do you guys always equate marqaan with people from the North when in fact we all know that every Somali from all walks of life consumes this thing...Granted that maybe they were the biggest consumers/traders back in the days, but come on lets be honest every Somali region consumes it..I have lived in Meru town (where still some of my immediate family lives) nowadays the majority of the people working or dealing are NOT the notherners anymore...Bloody Somali marqaan!

Where in the world would someone spent $50K on Khat in a month?

Liibaan   

Originally posted by MZanzi:

Xuuska maalinta Marqaanka meey iska dhahaan

Waa maalintii Qaadka iyo Marqaanka snm

Qat (also spelled "kat," catha edulis) is a mild stimulant narcotic; many Somalis chew the qat leaf during leisure time. Qat is grown in the Ethiopian highlands and in Kenya and is transported through Somalia.
In the late 1960s, farmers near Hargeysa began growing it.
During the drought of the 1970s, the qat plants survived and their cultivators made handsome profits. Investment in qat plants soared in the 1980s.

"SNM was fighting for qat"

The government wrongly believed that the production of qat was cutting into grain production; the data of political scientist Abdi Ismail Samatar indicates that farmers producing qat grew more grain than those who did not produce qat. The government also believed that qat was harmful because it was making the general population drug-dependent.
The Siad Barre regime hence banned qat production, and in 1984 qat fields were destroyed by government teams.
Nevertheless, the qat story of the 1980s demonstrated the vibrancy of the Somali economy outside the regulatory regimes of the government and the IMF.

mongabay.com