Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Interview: Rakiya Omaar on the Imprisonment of Samsam's Lawyers

BN   
This court/prosecutor are clearly incapable of carrying out justice in a fair, balanced and efficient manner; there is far too much incompetence and political interference on display. What I fail to understand is why African Rights calls for the release of their colleagues, yet not for the defenseless child who has been through so much these past few months in that same prison. Asking for this farcical 'trial' to continue is beyond belief and something no one should accept.

Asking for this farsical 'trial' to continue is beyond belief and something no one should accept.

The four laywers are obviously more important to Raqiya, because she only spoke out after their arrest.

Samsam should be released and those that raped her should be brought to justice..

Warmoog   

Finally, a decent thread about Samsam's case!

I think the various reactions this case has elicited attest to our moral degeneration as a people (pardon the sweeping conclusion). I honestly can not determine which is more appalling. The horrific violation of a young lady in a place considered one of the few havens of safety left in our war-torn nation. The conspiratorial silence on the part of most news mediums in those parts or the manner in which the story has been incorporated into smear campaigns against Somaliland. Since most threads about Samsam in this forum fell into the latter category, I chose not to respond. I hope other nomads think twice before taking part in threads of that sort because our participation only rewards the unwholesome endeavors of those exploiting our sister's tragedy.

In my view, this crime against our sister needs to be condemned along with those who have ignored her plight and those who are exploiting it. She deserves justice and I hope she receives it, in this life or the hereafter. Samsam is not the first female to have been violated in Somalia, nor will she be the last. Countless sisters have been raped and left for dead in rural ditches, in city streets and in their own homes. What justice have they received? The plight of our sisters has far too often been met with general indifference. Why has Samsam been met with such deference? I have formulated my own answers but others might want to consider these questions.

I can only hope the stories of other sisters, as there almost certainly will be more, are met with equal deference.

What ever Yasmin, first it was denail now its to give us some hot air.

Fact the girl is still in jail, for what? and all these so called human rights groups are crying for are the 4 lawyers..

Talk about hypocracy

Warmoog   

^Have I touched a nerve of some sort brother? (Was it the exploitation part?)

I’m not quite sure what your point is but if you’re suggesting that I made a previous denial of the Samsam case or something else of that nature, then I’ll ask that you not attribute those remarks to me because they are not mine. Thanks.

PS - I don't like to spend too much time in one thread so, if you must compel me to make return trips, please make them worthwhile.

Yasmine I can assure you that no one has ever blamed Sland in general on the gruesome ordeal of the poor girl called Samsam Ahmed Du'ale. I have only seen fingers pointed at Dahir Riyooday Kahin's government and the Sland CID. Wich is totally correct for they are responsible.

But if you and others are 'psychic' and allready concluded that it's all just a cheap shot on a certain tribe than perhaps you're right. Maybe you shouldn't bother to come here at all.

I concur with Smith that it's totally hypocritical for African rights to step up vehemently only after four lawyers of the real victim of human rights abuse are put in jail. I bet Samsam will never receive fair trial in Hargeisa and as long as that won't happen, don't forget there's Pland.

As one of Sland's leading politicians said, there are many Sland ladies in Pland. Don't let them face the brunt of Samsam's faith.

As one of Sland's leading politicians said, there are many Sland ladies in Pland. Don't let them face the brunt of Samsam's faith.

Nationalist, brother abusing our sisters wont bring justice to Samsam. I think it would be wrong to use mob rule to solve this issue.

Yasmin, when we first heard of this case and posted it online, many accused us of blatent lies, misinformation or using this issue in order to gain an edge over Somaliland. I wonder how does one use the alleged torture, rape and confinement of a child for months as some political advantage?

Samsam will be giving justice by Allah, but we must try our best to get her out.

STOIC   

Much as i avoid to engage in political section debate,i can not avoid to condemn this horible atrocities done to Samsam.Every story has two side and every side has it's say.The reason iam hesitant to beleive all the story i read on the links is that there could be an ample opportunity for bias, either conscious or unconcious.If this is true that S/land CIA has commited this heinous crime then we MUST all condemn.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Yasmine:

The plight of our sisters has far too often been met with general indifference. Why has Samsam been met with such deference? I have formulated my own answers but others might want to consider these questions.

Yasmine, Please share with us the answers you formulated for this tragic incident.

My answer to your question in brief, why Samsam's case was held in deference above other similar incidents that took place in Somalia? First, the Somaliland government prides itself for safeguarding the rights of its citizens and conferring those who maintain tranquility upon rewards because doing it will increase its chance of getting recognition. But what is more appalling is that the crime committed against the young, innocent Somali girl was perpetuated by high ranking officials who are trusted by the public to provide decent and impartial service. They betrayed the reputation and integrity of their nation. They also declined to divulge the case in its entirety, made arrangement for an uninterrupted incarceration for the victim, and even more worrisome allowed those malefactors to keep serving the public. Isn’t that too gruesome that haunts every person?

Blessed   

^^I agree bro. It deflects everything Somaliland and being a Muslim stands for. To me this case and many others where the UDUB government have abused human rights,freedoms and justice in SL- contradicts the whole principle that SL is based on.

However, to say the people of SL are indifferent to this case is clear proof that you have't kept track of it. The four lawyers aren't the first Landers to speak out against this case nor are they the first tohave got on the wrong side of the government. Yet, the nomads who act as the news reporters of SOL - mostly paint a different picture.

Originally posted by Nationalist:

What a Shame!

If that's your idea of nationalism my 'brother'...STICK IT!

Subxanallah! Tell me. On what grounds do you condemn the ordeal faced by Samsam?

That a Muslim,Somali,Female has been subjected to suffering and injustice at the hands of ignorant brutal men?

Doesn't look like it to me..!!

Evidently, from your warning, you seem a little confused? How can you condemn something and with the same brush make a threat of it against sisters from another region?

Do you see thecontradition with me, mise boarders REALLY do mean that MUCH to you?

:(

I think Raqia, is on the right track here, without lawyers the sisters case won't be heard.

It's interesting that Raaqya's version of the storey is different to the one previously posted. She was visiting girls who claimed to have lived in the ministers home... not staying with her minister uncle as claimed by by the other articles posted here.

That is as unbelievable as the charges held against the sister.

Let's talk about the ones who "exploit" such a tragedy and use it as smear campaigns against Somaliland.

"The Sadistic Defilement and Dehumanization of Ms. Mako Was Ordered by Puntland Authorities"

by Faisal Ali Jama (Ottawa, Canada)

"According to unconfirmed, but reliable reports from sources in Bosaso city, Puntland, Somalia indicate that Ms. Mako, the 18 year old innocent girl from Somaliland who was, at the time, living with her cousin in Bosaso who was recently kidnapped outside her home and taken to a secret location, where she was sadistically gang raped and tortured horribly by more than 20 men comprising of Police Officers and civilians thereby gravely damaging her feminine organs and disfiguring her physically and leaving her lying in a state of comatose, near death situation, and utter helplessness was actually planned, organized, and implemented by the Puntland provincial authorities."

READ MORE HERE: http://www.somaliland.org/opinions.asp?ID=04110708

or

http://www.radiosomaliland.com/index.php?itemid=418&catid=8

SO, I agree - its a tragedy that should be accepted at face value. But some have used the story to attack the S/land administration (sometimes rightfully so, esp against the CID). But others - like Mr Faisal Ali Jama above - have decided to COMPLETELY overlook the real story and make up a fabricated one in the hopes of creating further division between Puntland and Somaliland. Did it work? Apparently not because such a horrendous act against a Somali lady (or any lady) would never be tolerated in Boosaaso!

Why is Samsam's abuse being tolerated in Somaliland (for no one has spoken out against it, accept Jamhuriya & Rakiya Oomar above). And why has the S/land populace suddenly turned so submissive (as in, why aren't they speaking about against the decision to illegally jail 4 attorneys who defended Samsam)?

As far as indifference - we're at the height of political propaganda season. You'd expect political opportunists to jump at this chance, wouldn't you?

king_450   

It is tragic that the trend continues in 2004 ,we are still talking about "Rape" in Somalia.

The harm inflicted this poor girl by a rapist i don't care if it caused by any tribe you want mention is an attack on her family and our beautiful culture. None of you in here can imagine the pain stamped on this poor little girl. hope she gets her day in court, if not Allah will take care for her.

Warmoog   

Sorry for the late reply nomads. I was a bit busy with exams and a few others things, so I haven't had enough time to formulate a corherent response until now.

Nationalist,

I dislike the manner in which Samsam has been sucked into mechanisms that are reducing the sister's case to yet another tribalism-disguised-as-politics exercise (i.e. propaganda machines). If you think that stance somehow acts as a buffer for Somaliland or its government, it is a real pity. Then again, that line of reasoning is so typical of people who think and define their existence in accordance with perilous us/them dichotomies, I'm not at all surprised with your skewed deduction (maybe I am psychic). Depicting the Samsam issue as one of sides and reducing it to another pitiable showdown between two regions - as propaganda machines appear to be doing - does nothing productive or long-lasting for the cause. In case anyone's wondering exactly that 'cause' is, it is Samsam's plight in particular but rape crimes in Somalia as a whole.

Smith,

Considering the shameful illegitimacy of many Somali news mediums, I'm not particularly surprised that nomads were skeptical when the story first appeared on SOL. Walaal, I won't speculate on nomads' reasons for not believing you, but a degree of skepticism is actually healthy. People should be critical of sources in the media and what they offer. If they were not, I would be concerned.

Nassir,

Walaal, it appears several unusual elements, such as the incredulous espionage charge as well as the involvement of rape and torture allegations, combined to create a gripping, if disturbing, saga. As you noted, one contributing factor is the location. The case does call Somaliland's often vaunted democratic ideals into question because the unfairness of the sister's trial was apparent. You'd think time would illuminate the details of this case and reveal a few consistent truths but contradictions are still abound and it's difficult to determine exactly what befell Samsam.

If the sister was indeed raped, as many of us believe she was, we can either view her as a cause or we can view her as part of a cause. I prefer the second line of reasoning but some news mediums – typically those that could be classified as propaganda machines – have propelled Samsam to such dizzying heights that, if they were poorly informed, people could actually conceive rape crimes to be rare in that corner of the world. Although it may seem necessary at the moment, I think deference of that sort will prove to be unproductive in the long run. We are Qurbo Soomaali, after all, with little (if any) influence over events taking place in the homeland. Baroor muxuu inoo tari? We need to determine the best course of action so as to make ourselves useful in some way, even if that 'action' will amount to nothing more substantive than virtual discussions.

Instead of examining the case, and the implicit issue of rape with which the sister's name has become synonymous, in a singular and selective manner, we need to place it in its proper social context. It has been the subject of a great deal of discussion for several weeks now but, unfortunately, we appear to have little to show for it. Has our knowledge of rape crimes in Somalia, our understanding of the problem, been broadened by all of this discourse? Thus far, focus has been centered on the nitpicking and contestation of details (and some of those details are of great importance - e.g. Samsam's age) but the prevalence of rape crimes in the country, the nature of this phenomenon, its causations, its social implications, etc., have yet to be addressed.