Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Legendary Dutch boss Michels dies

Legendary Dutch boss Michels dies

_40884823_michels203.jpg

Legendary Dutch coach Rinus Michels, the man credited with developing "total football", has died aged 77.

Michels
played for Ajax and coached the side to four national titles between 1965-71 and a European Cup in 1971.

His 1970s Dutch team was built around Johan
Cruyff
and
Johan Neeskens
and introduced the concept of "total football" to the world.

The strategy was to foster team coherence and individual imagination - with all players possessing the skills to play in any part of the pitch.

Cruyff
was the on-field organiser of a team whose players rotated in and out of defence at will and was encouraged to play creative attacking football.

Cruyff
said: "Both as a player and as a trainer there is nobody who taught me as much as him. I will miss Rinus Michels.

"I always greatly admired his leadership."

N.O.R.F   

Yeah bro, he was a genius! What a footballing education, i can honestly say that i am a total football genius :D . You name it, every position including Gk, little weak at left back though!

Intel   

Originally posted by Totti:

i tend to use my leggs more than my hands to deal with shots

loool

you're a goalie too like North :D

bunch of bloody calool shaahs :rolleyes:

N.O.R.F   

^^lol

I have become a very accomplished Claude Makalele due to my slower pace and not wanting to get anymore injuries :D plus its less tiresome

^^^ loool ^^^^

You should try the GK position good position to watch the game relax and everynow and then make a save and look like a crucial member of the team :D

Well Rokko i ment to state my versitility (exc the grad spelling :D )

i can play anywhere on the back four, as a holding midfielder or winger left or right, but i cant score to save my life, shiid i cant even make a good connection usually :(

He was no doubt a great manager and disciplined his players and got named the GENERAL. The type football he played is just free flowing but any team with tactics and operate more defensively are more likely to beat Michels' side. Remember against Germany when Holland lost. The reason behind this is that they play without tactics.

Intel   

Dinho & Totti

"due to my slower pace"

"not wanting to get anymore injuries"

"less tiresome"

"try the GK position good position"

"watch the game relax"

"i can play anywhere on the back four"

"i cant score to save my life"

"i cant even make a good connection usually"

yeah enuff said :D

mojam   

Most people know him for his Dutch team that won the European championship in 1988 but he did more than just that. He was the man who made ajax. He converted this club from amateur status (in terms of european recognition) to an internationally respected club.

his story:

Rest in peace, General

nafta   

aaah die oude koek heeft het dus gesnuft....he was indeed a good manager, and Ajax was definitly the IT team when he was managing it.

He was great when it came to play, would like to see someone at least come close to his skills and play.

Peace