Sign in to follow this  
Mintid Farayar

Puntland Authority Has Consultation with its Pirate Division

Somalia: Puntland administration holds talks with pirates

7 May 2009

12:56 AM

BBC Monitoring Newsfile

English

© 2009 The British Broadcasting Corporation. All Rights Reserved. No material may be reproduced except with the express permission of The British Broadcasting Corporation.

Text of report by Somali pro-Puntland government website on 6 May

Reliable sources in Puntland government have confirmed to Allpuntland website that the Puntland administration has been holding talks with some of the pirates in the last 24 hours. The meeting, which was attended by religious leaders and government officials among them Dr Bashir Ali Bihi, Abdiwali Ali Tar and others was today held in Garoowe, the headquarters of the Puntland administration.

Our sources indicate that both sides in the meeting discussed how to eradicate the problem of piracy and ensure that the youth who are seemingly joining these activities everyday do not continue to do so. Some leaders of the pirates who attended the meeting gave touching lectures and promised to end their activities and be law abiding citizens of the Puntland region.

More than 80 Somali pirates are reported to have attended today's meeting in Garoowe which was addressed by religious leaders, reformed Somali pirates and government officials.

Government officials said they will take all measures in ensuring the stability of the Puntland administration adding that they welcome the assurances given by the pirates that they will stop engaging in these activities.

The Puntland government has said that they will hold a conference in the town of Eyl on 16 May 2009, a hub for Somali pirates causing problems along the coast. The meeting will be attended by various groups that are directly being affected by the problem of piracy.

Source: AllPuntland.com website in Somali 6 May 09

N.O.R.F   

Piracy in PL? Surely not! Oh, hang on, they are 'fishermen' who have a cause icon_razz.gif

LoL@Pirate division. Ministry of Piracy dhe

Originally posted by somalipride:

Can you show me on allpuntlands website where this article is? I'm having trouble finding it, thanks.

It would be my pleasure, mate ;) Here it is:

Link

Hopefully it won't get taken down in a few hours after I get reported by all the 'Guulwadayaal' on SOL :D