Sign in to follow this  
Hales

Somali pirate pleads guilty, will get a minimum of 27 years in prison

Hales   

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5izUbtx1o15cqD9GcYDcuI16mUxQQD9FPI8N00

NEW YORK — A Somali suspect who became the boyish face of 21st-century piracy by staging a brazen high-seas attack on a U.S.-flagged ship off the coast of Africa pleaded guilty on Tuesday to charges he hijacked the ship and kidnapped its captain.

He also pleaded guilty to hostage-taking and conspiracy. He faces a minimum 27 years in prison. Sentencing was set for Oct. 19.

"What we did was wrong," a subdued Muse said through an interpreter. "I am very, very sorry about what we did. All of this was about the problems in Somalia

Hales   

In the Maersk Alabama case, a criminal complaint said Muse was the first to board the ship, firing his AK-47 assault rifle at the captain, Richard Phillips. He entered the bridge, told the captain to stop the ship and "conducted himself as the leader of the pirates," the complaint said.

Muse, reading from a prepared statement, told the judge on Tuesday that his crew had not intentionally targeted an American vessel. The four pirates "agreed to capture any ship that we found on the Indian Ocean," he said.

The pirates held Phillips, of Underhill, Vt., hostage for several days on a sweltering, enclosed lifeboat that was soon shadowed by three U.S. warships and a helicopter.

During hostage negotiations, Muse said, the pirates tried to cut a deal: "They get the captain back and they let us go back to land safely. If not we will harm the captain."

The end came when Navy sharpshooter on the USS Bainbridge picked off the three pirates in a stunning nighttime operation, leaving Phillips untouched.

"I thought the pirates were shooting one another, and I was caught in the crossfire," Phillips later wrote in a book about his ordeal. "They'd been arguing, and it had escalated to gunfire. And now, after days of heat, punishment and threats, there was complete silence.

"All of a sudden I heard a voice. A male American voice. `Are you OK?' it said."

After being swept into a federal court into New York, the skinny, 5-foot-2 defendant looked bewildered and sometimes wept in court. His age was in dispute from the start: His lawyers insisted he was 15 and should be tried as a juvenile; prosecutors convinced a judge he was at least 18.

Back in Somalia, Muse's parents insisted he was tricked into getting involved in piracy. His mother said he was "wise beyond his years" and never a troublemaker.

Somalia is an impoverished nation caught up in a violent Islamic insurgency and has had no effective government or justice system since 1991. Piracy has become a multimillion-dollar business, and attacks have continued despite the presence of about 35 international warships patrolling nearby waters.

Many countries refuse to prosecute pirates, and suspects picked up at sea often are released after their weapons are seized.

The U.S. Navy has taken into custody more than 20 suspected pirates in the violence-plagued waters off Somalia and nearby regions, where U.S. warships are part of an international anti-piracy flotilla.

U.S. officials have said they hope to bring federal charges against some of the other suspects. There also have been preliminary discussions about setting up a special international court, because a number of countries will not act against suspected pirates who are turned over to them.

Not only is the sentence too long, but since when does the US (or any other country for that matter) have the jurisdiction to try a citizen of Somalia for piracy?

It's a clear violation of international law. It's sad to see that international laws don't mean anything anymore.

BiLaaL   

Guilty or not, no country (apart from his own) has jurisdiction over this case. Even in their current dismal state of affairs, Somali officials can still insist on his extradition. Sadly for Abdiwali, he'll have to suffer in prison until his country gets its act together.

nuune   

27 years, what was that when Somaliland prisoned someone for 15 or 10 years for piracy, or death penalty, I will say bring him to Somaliland, and he will receive fair trial, at least 10 and not 27 yrs!

Amistad   

Yemen just sentenced six pirates to the death penalty.

27 years is the minimum under his plea, the Judge actually could give him more. 27 years means he could be out in 13 years, paroled, and that is not enough time for someone that was involved in armed kidnap and ransom.

Piracy should no longer be viewed as a minor annoyance, but a severe predatory practice led by killers.

Somaliland is strict on piracy. The pirates we visited in prison there, had 10 years and were not even caught in the act. Their convictions represented Conspiracy to Commit Piracy, they were caught in the planning stage.

Hales   

http://news.therecord.com/article/713766

NAIROBI, Kenya - The mother of a Somali pirate who pleaded guilty to charges of hijacking a U.S.-flagged ship and kidnapping its captain appealed to President Barack Obama on Wednesday to pardon her son and grant him citizenship.

Abdiwali Abdiqadir Muse pleaded guilty in a U.S. federal court on Tuesday to several charges, including hostage-taking and conspiracy. He faces a minimum 27 years in prison. Sentencing is set for Oct. 19.

Reached by phone in the central Somali town where she lives, Muse's mother asked President Obama for leniency, saying her son is too young to have been tried as an adult.

"Please, please President Obama, please, American people, please release my son and grant him citizenship to help us," Muse's mother, Adar Abdirahman Hassan told The Associated Press by phone.

"You live in a safe prosperous country but we live in a chaotic country. With all your power and generosity and kindness, it will be a stain on your name to punish this child and throw him in jail," Hassan said.

Prosecutors say Muse led four pirates who stormed the Maersk Alabama in April 2009 as it carried humanitarian supplies 280 miles (450 kilometres) off Somalia's coast. Navy snipers fatally shot three pirates and freed ship Captain Richard Phillips of Underhill, Vt., to end the standoff.

Muse's age has been in dispute since the start of the case, with his lawyers insisting last April that he was 15 and should be tried as a juvenile. Prosecutors convinced a judge he was at least 18.

Muse's mother said her son is too young to stand trial.

"I shudder to imagine that Abdiwali will face a minimum 27 years in prison," she said, her voice cracking with emotion. "I don't expect Americans to punish this little kid. He was duped into piracy by adult friends."

Asked why she believes Muse pleaded guilty, Hassan said her son was afraid of a possible death sentence and believed a plea would save his life.

Muse said her son used to call her once a week from prison but that she hasn't heard from him in about three months. Hassan said her son ended past conversations with "soothing words."

"He always praised his life in America. He told me, 'I'm in a nice place, better than Somalia. Mom, I feel bad for you. I'm happy and studying,'" she said.

Muse told the judge on Tuesday that his crew had not intentionally targeted an American vessel.

The pirates held Phillips hostage for several days on a sweltering, enclosed lifeboat that was soon shadowed by three U.S. warships and a helicopter. The end came when Navy sharpshooters on the USS Bainbridge picked off the three pirates.

The American Navy has taken into custody more than 20 suspected pirates in the violence-plagued waters off Somalia and nearby regions, where U.S. warships are part of an international anti-piracy flotilla.

Hales   

Naxariis darantihiin, this kid doesnt deserve 27 years, he didnt kill anyone!!

They should take factors such as extreme poverty and instabillity in the nation into account when sentencing him, plus hes young and clearly regretss his actions.

Amistad   

He should get a good attorney, who forces the court to recognize they cant even try him in the U.S.

Case dismissed.