Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

SOMALIA: AFRICA'S PROBLEM CHILD?, by Prof. Said

Sky   

rudy when the hell did we ever help africa? you think the african countries ethiopia and kenya liked to be in the watch out for skinny invasion 24/7/365? or when we worked with rhodesians and apartheid south africa? or when we trained angolan militias to destroy their country. or when we welcomed to our land ppl like idi amin.

ya know, we should be lucky these countries are trying to help us build a country again. so we damn lucky to have these ppl as our brothers. but hey, guess the world thinks somalia is handicap, now who would turn his back on a handicap?

NASSIR   

Please do finish the article and don't be discouraged by the Title. It is beyond what you think.

A LelKase CAPTAIN AHAB

By: Prof. Said S. Samatar

April 7, 2005

Editor's note: This is the second part of a four part series. In this piece, professor Said Samatar shows several things including his mastery of the language, an unwavering interest in literature and a total command of both the Somali culture and that of the West. Moreover, Samatar [de] mystifies the hold that clan identity seeks to have on a detribalized, westernized if you will, Somali individual through his own experience. This piece definitely establishes Samatar as both a literary scholar as well as a keen historian.

As a product of the literary imagination, Captain Ahab is the major protagonist in Melville's novel Moby Dick , the classic work often cited as ushering in the coming of age of American literature. At once diabolical and ambition-crazed, Ahab is the poetic archetypal figure representing Western Europe 's lust for power, glory and gain--in short for conquest. He is descended, fictionally and spiritually, from the incomparable Dr. Faust, as well, the literary creation of the German playwright, Goethe. In a memorable scene in Goethe's play, Dr. Faust makes a historic bargain with Lucifer, dean of the satanic host, in which he offers his soul to the devil in return for the devil's grant to him of mastery over the world. Hence, the famous scriptural cautionary tale, "for what will it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world but lose his soul," does not resonate with Dr. Faust. He would gladly relinquish his soul to hell for the conquest of the globe.

Dr. Faust and Captain Ahab are one and the same in spirit and imagery portraying the satanic side of the West that catapulted Europeans not only into a 500-year global hegemony enslaving, colonizing and ruthlessly exploiting the nations of Africa and Asia but also installing their absolute open season on the world, pillaging, raping and ravishing everywhere they went, leaving it desolate and devastated.

Unlike the physically wholesome Dr. Faust, Ahab is a cripple with a wooden leg, a withered arm and a host of other assaults on his body sustained in the course of life-time of pursuing the elusive white whale through the high seas. His body may be battered but his spirit is indomitable. It was therefore a matter of unforgettable astonishment to encounter a latter-day Captain Ahab in Seattle , Washington , April 5, 1994 . His real name is Abdusamad, ethnically a Lelkase and therefore my own kinsman. Let me say at the outset that the likening of Abdusamad to Captain Ahab in the ensuing remarks is only metaphorical and that there is no intention to call my kinsman a devil. If anything he struck me, when in his best mood, as a gentleman's gentleman; still, he did radiate a lot of Ahab-like characteristics which call for comment. In the crazy crisscrossing quilt of ethnicities that make up Somali society, the Lelkase are composed of a small clan of mullahs (my kinsmen are likely to disown me for saying this) constituting a sub-lineage of the D.a.r.o.od clan-family.

There are tantalizing bits and pieces of evidence that suggest the Lelkase to have been almost completely wiped out in a massacre that occurred in some ancient, prehistoric time. For example, there are hills of human skeletons in eastern Somalia that are called "Lafa-Tanade," or the "Bones of the Tanade,"--Tanade being another name for the Lelkase. Who massacred them and why will probably never be known. In order to survive, the solitary remnants of the Lelkase then turned to religion, permanently leaving the struggle for material power and influence to larger clans. To paraphrase Professor I. M. Lewis, where Somalis fail to acquire power in the physical world, they seek it in the spiritual. Another name for the Lelkase is Xer, literally "Qur'anic disciples." They often specialized in setting up catechistic Qur'anic centers throughout Somalia teaching the diin , or religion, solemnizing marriages and receiving, in return, gifts (siyaaro) of livestock and tokens of honor from the host clans. It appears that in their role as wadaads (men of religion) and fiqihs (scholars of sacred law) the Lelkase prospered and multiplied in numbers; for by the middle of the century they took to trusting more to the sword than to the diin . They got into various and sundry feuds to the east with 'Umar Mohamuud M.a.j.e.e.r.t.e.en and to the west with the H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r ****** . It was in a particularly lethal feud with the 'Umar Mohamuud in 1964-5 that Abdusamad, my Captain Ahab, enters into history as a legendary warrior, leading a Lelkase militia to fight off the powerful 'Umar Mohamuud to a standstill (this is the Lelkase version; the 'Umar Mohamuud claim they stopped short of finishing off the Lelkase for fear of divine retribution). Whatever the true version of events, the Lelkase came out of this feud with renewed confidence in their capacity to defend themselves by the sword. Abdusamad apparently played a major part in the Lelkase holding their own. And so it was he who, shortly after this feud, triumphantly boasted in a poetic couplet:

"Allow iyo aayadii ka baxno

Afdiinlaan ku aarsanaynaa."

"We, the Lelkase have ceased and desisted from our vain pleas to Allah for protection,

Instead we now employ the gun to avenge our dead!"

Those who served with him describe him as a warrior's warrior whose tactical maneuvers in the field can only be matched by his death-defying bravery: he was left for dead at least once, his entire body is polka-dotted with bullet marks, his right leg blown off by a bazoka blast and his arm withered like a stunted branch. One should imagine that a man with so many assaults on his body would permanently quit warring. Not Abdusamad. When clannish violence broke out in earnest in the collapse of the state in early 1991, he was at the head of a Lelkase militia duelling it out with H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r militia. The Lelkase claim(a claim which is more of a boast than substance) that they have single-handedly driven the H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r from their grazing grounds in Mudugh province into Benaadir province where the latter under General Aydiid have wreaked havoc, variously, on the A.b.g.a.a.l, H.a.w.a.a.d.l.e, Mur.u.rsade and ********* .

Again Abdusamad was hit, this time in the head with one eye shot off and the forehead re-arranged from the effect of flying shrapnel. How he ended up in Seattle remains a mystery, but there he was all right that morning when I arrived at the shiny lecture hall of Seattle Pacific University to deliver a talk to rosy-cheeked American students. The gist of my lecture was to try to put a semblance of logic on the Somali muddle to a mildly bemused roomful of Americans, wondering why their boys got killed in a distant and savage place called Somalia . The audience's questions during discussion bore a striking resemblance to Chancellor Bismarck's near the end of the nineteenth century: when asked to provide fresh troops for the conquest of New Guinea, the Iron Chancellor replied with characteristic bluntness, "New Guinea head-hunters are not worthy of the healthy bones of one Prussian grenadier!" Was Somalia worth the healthy bones of one American Ranger?

After the lecture Abdusamad was introduced by three other Lelkases as the "General." The General? This withered shade? I reflected. We drove to a five-star hotel in downtown Seattle . The car parked, we got out and when he attempted to walk, he wheezed and rattled and shuffled, dragging the wooden leg after the other. I began to see that half his body was made up of wooden supports, the original organs having been blasted off by steel. Our waitress was a luscious blonde with radiant skin and sumptuous eyes whose comings and goings coupled with imagination served to whet the appetite. The lunch (which one of the Lelkases paid for) was not, as it turned out, the point of our gathering; it was in fact a ruse designed to rough me up by Captain Ahab aka Abdusamad. As soon as we were seated, he rounded on me with the one working eye sparkling. Said he:

"Are you a man with xiniinyo or (balls)?" More disoriented than annoyed by the forwardness of his manners, I said, "Pardon me!" He learned the tone of irritation in those two words, for he stammered and said with less force:

"We Lelkases have proven our fighting capabilities in the recent explosion of clan warfare that followed Siad Barre's fall. We do not initiate fights, but when fights are forced upon us, we punish mightily; every clan that picked up a quarrel with us came to regret it. We vanquished--" he rattled off a series of clan names, and tapped vigorously on the wooden leg with the edge of his palm, and by God, it was hollowed out and had the reverberating acoustics of a durbaan , or drum! Did he do this for effect to freak me out?

I said, "Enough. I do not want to hear the gory details of one bloody tribal skirmish after another."

He said, "Do you know the new names of the Lelkase, as a result of our prowess in the recent feuds?"

I said I did not.

He said, "One name is gaas-dhagoole ," which may be translated as the "deaf legion."

I said, "Why gaas-dhagoole ?"

He said, "Because once the Lelkase take up the field, they become deaf as to the rumble of shells. When in action we become deaf and mute to death. We defy death, knowing this mortal body can go but once." This reminded me of Julius Caesar's legendary cogitations on life and death: "Cowards die many times but the valiant never taste of death but once." By all the stars, when Caesar made those words famous he had just vanquished the Iberian peninsula and Gaul, the name then for the territories now making up France, Switzerland, half of Germany and all the lands adjacent to the English Channel, thus making possible the conquest of Britain by the lame emperor Claudius. In other words, Caesar would die in the forging of empires, reducing cities and compelling nations to bow before him; whereas my kinsman would glorify death in a senseless, soap-opera-like, endless and purposeless cycle of tribal violence.

"Really?" I said, incredulously.

"When we take to the field," the shade continued, "we would not abandon it, come what may. We'd die to the last man."

"In that case," I said, "count me out."

"Are you a coward?"

"Pardon me!"

One of the others interrupted with some gratuitous remark designed to provide comic relief. Captain Ahab started off again, "Do you know what the other name is?"

I said, "Indulge me."

He said, "Darbe-D.a.r.o.od," which translates as: "the D.a.r.o.od Wall." "Because," he said, squinting the one serviceable eye, "when the D.a.r.o.od were in desperate trouble on all sides in the recent wars, it was we who stood between them and other clans." "Ask the W.a.r.s.a.n.g.a.l.i [another D.a.r.o.od sub-clan]," he continued, "to confirm the truth of what I am saying. It was they who dubbed us, 'the D.a.r.o.od Wall,' in grateful recognition of our defending role."

The luscious white chick returned to clear the table; kids (white and black) toyed on the electronic Star Wars box. The jacuzzi fountains made plangent caressing sounds. The people, the streets, the cars, the lights--the city hummed outside. And here we were four Lelkases engaged in a cosmological clan discourse. This was surreal, I thought.

Captain Ahab continued to harass me. Said he, "We are as good in peace as in war. Because we are men of religion, we deal honestly with others. We do not double-talk. Our word is as good as faith itself." Ahab paused, wheezing; then began again, "We'd prefer to have our necks cut off than break our word. That is why," the serviceable eye glistened, "we are universally trusted by all other clans. There is a great future for us in Somalia as power brokers, if not power holders in the country."

" A great future for us in Somalia !" I could hardly believe I heard what I had heard. "Maledetto te, pazzo," I cussed in Italian under my breath. Fortunately for my skin, knowledge of Italian did not number in his satanic C.V., otherwise he would surely have bounced on me, wooden limbs and all!

"Now, as for you," the shade opened up again, "We need you. Are you going to play an honorable role in this future? Are you going to lend us your academic thing and international contacts? Are you going to join us?" He gave me a look that froze me, making me feel creepy all over. "Are you going to be part of us, or simply satisfied to fatten off of American food stamps?"

"The sucker," I cussed again. "Does he think I am on the dole?"

He must have noticed my angry scowl, for at this he began to let up, warming up to me and judging it necessary to inform me, "The Fiqih Ismaa'iil [my own sub-branch of the Lelkase] have always demonstrated qualities of leadership in the clan." What was he buttering up to me for? There was no way of knowing, because he broke off and went into a trance (he was also suffering from Khat withdrawals), spewing out a stream of primeval monologue, half poetry, half singsong, mumbling the words:

"Alla waan hawoonayoo, alla hawa na haysa, ee."

"Alas, ambition–ambition stirs in us, ambition--ambition we seek."

Back in my hotel room, I transcribed the outlines of the visit into my diary. Then I was assailed with one impulse and two thoughts. First, the impulse: this wraith of a man whose broken frame is pitted through and through with the mark of steel, only the one eye remaining whole of his entire body, and yet so animated, so lively, so resilient, his spirit so indomitable. The Somali civil war was not overabundant with examples of valiance in its purest essence, but this one was courage personified. I was awed! To paraphrase Mark Anthony on the slain Brutus, "All the elements unite to say this was truly a man."

But my awe, even admiration was thoroughly dissipated by my growing scorn for his mad ambition. I learned by and by that he came to the U.S. on a refugee asylum program, that he was resettled in Seattle to start up a new life, that his needs in shelter, food and medication were met by American generosity, the cost of his upkeep being split between the state of Washington and the Federal Government. As such, one should suppose that with this largesse, he'd settle and end out his remaining days in peace and tranquility, living off America 's kindness, gazing blissfully on the busty, leggy blondes that populate the swank avenues of Seattle . No, his heart was not in these but in "ambition" and thoughts of "a great future" in Somalia ! What a mad son of a gun! If the whole world were offered to him on a silver platter, what good would this do him, given that he is so wasted? How could he, in the broken condition of his body, savor the ease, the comfort and delights of power, to say nothing of coping with its cares--this apparition of re-arranged wood and mended skeleton?

As to the first thought that assailed: it was stirred by the specter's question, "Are you going to join us?" This resonated with me because it brought to mind one Abdirahman Hajji Hirsi, a first cousin, a medical doctor by vocation and a multi-sided genius who commanded mastery--I mean absolute mastery--over five languages: Arabic, English, French, Italian and Russian, in addition to his native Somali. When Somalia erupted, he moved to Kisimayu to serve as the only doctor in a children's hospital housing several hundred orphans. The Belgian paratroopers who manned Kisimayu and its environs had no end of praise for this doctor's, as one of the paratroopers put it, "integrity, hard work and dedication to his lowly orphanage." Well, one evening a gunman showed up at the orphanage premises and asked Dr. Hirsi to hand over to him the entire store of medicine in the orphanage. The doctor balked, whereupon he was shot at point-blank range. He died instantly. This incident in turn brought to mind a similar murder-by-shooting of another doctor, one Dr. Mohammed Warsame, who, after being hounded by the pleas of Roman Catholic nuns to help bind the wounds of his people, had reluctantly returned to Mogadishu to care for a large orphanage. General Aydiid ordered him killed for reasons of clan considerations in the fall of 1992. In the entire world, even in benighted Africa , a doctor's person is considered sacrosanct and treated as such. In the entire world, that is, except in mad Somalia . Dr. Hirsi, by reason of his medical skills and genius of mind, would, by international standards, have rated as worth more than the entire lot of the Lelkase put together. Yet, like so many others, he died senselessly and in vain and, from what I have been able to piece together, at the hands of another Lelkase. No, Captain, I'd rather not join you!

The other thought that crossed my mind was even more frightening; to wit, if the Lelkase, largely a clan of mullahs with no material or numerical significance (I daresay my kinsmen are likely to disown me for saying this) are so inflamed and obsessed with brokering power in Somalia, if not seizing it, what about the much larger clans with many more resources in men and material? What heights of lust for power and gain must consume their souls? Then I understood why Somalia collapsed. This is a nation of greed and ambition gone mad.

Said Samatar

New Jersey

As a product of the literary imagination, Captain Ahab is the major protagonist in Melville's novel Moby Dick , the classic work often cited as ushering in the coming of age of American literature. At once diabolical and ambition-crazed, Ahab is the poetic archetypal figure representing Western Europe 's lust for power, glory and gain--in short for conquest. He is descended, fictionally and spiritually, from the incomparable Dr. Faust, as well, the literary creation of the German playwright, Goethe. In a memorable scene in Goethe's play, Dr. Faust makes a historic bargain with Lucifer, dean of the satanic host, in which he offers his soul to the devil in return for the devil's grant to him of mastery over the world. Hence, the famous scriptural cautionary tale, "for what will it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world but lose his soul," does not resonate with Dr. Faust. He would gladly relinquish his soul to hell for the conquest of the globe.

Dr. Faust and Captain Ahab are one and the same in spirit and imagery portraying the satanic side of the West that catapulted Europeans not only into a 500-year global hegemony enslaving, colonizing and ruthlessly exploiting the nations of Africa and Asia but also installing their absolute open season on the world, pillaging, raping and ravishing everywhere they went, leaving it desolate and devastated.

Unlike the physically wholesome Dr. Faust, Ahab is a cripple with a wooden leg, a withered arm and a host of other assaults on his body sustained in the course of life-time of pursuing the elusive white whale through the high seas. His body may be battered but his spirit is indomitable. It was therefore a matter of unforgettable astonishment to encounter a latter-day Captain Ahab in Seattle , Washington , April 5, 1994 . His real name is Abdusamad, ethnically a Lelkase and therefore my own kinsman. Let me say at the outset that the likening of Abdusamad to Captain Ahab in the ensuing remarks is only metaphorical and that there is no intention to call my kinsman a devil. If anything he struck me, when in his best mood, as a gentleman's gentleman; still, he did radiate a lot of Ahab-like characteristics which call for comment. In the crazy crisscrossing quilt of ethnicities that make up Somali society, the Lelkase are composed of a small clan of mullahs (my kinsmen are likely to disown me for saying this) constituting a sub-lineage of the D.a.r.o.od clan-family.

There are tantalizing bits and pieces of evidence that suggest the Lelkase to have been almost completely wiped out in a massacre that occurred in some ancient, prehistoric time. For example, there are hills of human skeletons in eastern Somalia that are called "Lafa-Tanade," or the "Bones of the Tanade,"--Tanade being another name for the Lelkase. Who massacred them and why will probably never be known. In order to survive, the solitary remnants of the Lelkase then turned to religion, permanently leaving the struggle for material power and influence to larger clans. To paraphrase Professor I. M. Lewis, where Somalis fail to acquire power in the physical world, they seek it in the spiritual. Another name for the Lelkase is Xer, literally "Qur'anic disciples." They often specialized in setting up catechistic Qur'anic centers throughout Somalia teaching the diin , or religion, solemnizing marriages and receiving, in return, gifts (siyaaro) of livestock and tokens of honor from the host clans. It appears that in their role as wadaads (men of religion) and fiqihs (scholars of sacred law) the Lelkase prospered and multiplied in numbers; for by the middle of the century they took to trusting more to the sword than to the diin . They got into various and sundry feuds to the east with 'Umar Mohamuud M.a.j.e.e.r.t.e.en and to the west with the H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r ****** . It was in a particularly lethal feud with the 'Umar Mohamuud in 1964-5 that Abdusamad, my Captain Ahab, enters into history as a legendary warrior, leading a Lelkase militia to fight off the powerful 'Umar Mohamuud to a standstill (this is the Lelkase version; the 'Umar Mohamuud claim they stopped short of finishing off the Lelkase for fear of divine retribution). Whatever the true version of events, the Lelkase came out of this feud with renewed confidence in their capacity to defend themselves by the sword. Abdusamad apparently played a major part in the Lelkase holding their own. And so it was he who, shortly after this feud, triumphantly boasted in a poetic couplet:

"Allow iyo aayadii ka baxno

Afdiinlaan ku aarsanaynaa."

"We, the Lelkase have ceased and desisted from our vain pleas to Allah for protection,

Instead we now employ the gun to avenge our dead!"

Those who served with him describe him as a warrior's warrior whose tactical maneuvers in the field can only be matched by his death-defying bravery: he was left for dead at least once, his entire body is polka-dotted with bullet marks, his right leg blown off by a bazoka blast and his arm withered like a stunted branch. One should imagine that a man with so many assaults on his body would permanently quit warring. Not Abdusamad. When clannish violence broke out in earnest in the collapse of the state in early 1991, he was at the head of a Lelkase militia duelling it out with H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r militia. The Lelkase claim(a claim which is more of a boast than substance) that they have single-handedly driven the H.a.b.a.r G.i.d.i.r from their grazing grounds in Mudugh province into Benaadir province where the latter under General Aydiid have wreaked havoc, variously, on the ******, Hawaadle, Murursade and ********* .

Again Abdusamad was hit, this time in the head with one eye shot off and the forehead re-arranged from the effect of flying shrapnel. How he ended up in Seattle remains a mystery, but there he was all right that morning when I arrived at the shiny lecture hall of Seattle Pacific University to deliver a talk to rosy-cheeked American students. The gist of my lecture was to try to put a semblance of logic on the Somali muddle to a mildly bemused roomful of Americans, wondering why their boys got killed in a distant and savage place called Somalia . The audience's questions during discussion bore a striking resemblance to Chancellor Bismarck's near the end of the nineteenth century: when asked to provide fresh troops for the conquest of New Guinea, the Iron Chancellor replied with characteristic bluntness, "New Guinea head-hunters are not worthy of the healthy bones of one Prussian grenadier!" Was Somalia worth the healthy bones of one American Ranger?

After the lecture Abdusamad was introduced by three other Lelkases as the "General." The General? This withered shade? I reflected. We drove to a five-star hotel in downtown Seattle . The car parked, we got out and when he attempted to walk, he wheezed and rattled and shuffled, dragging the wooden leg after the other. I began to see that half his body was made up of wooden supports, the original organs having been blasted off by steel. Our waitress was a luscious blonde with radiant skin and sumptuous eyes whose comings and goings coupled with imagination served to whet the appetite. The lunch (which one of the Lelkases paid for) was not, as it turned out, the point of our gathering; it was in fact a ruse designed to rough me up by Captain Ahab aka Abdusamad. As soon as we were seated, he rounded on me with the one working eye sparkling. Said he:

"Are you a man with xiniinyo or (balls)?" More disoriented than annoyed by the forwardness of his manners, I said, "Pardon me!" He learned the tone of irritation in those two words, for he stammered and said with less force:

"We Lelkases have proven our fighting capabilities in the recent explosion of clan warfare that followed Siad Barre's fall. We do not initiate fights, but when fights are forced upon us, we punish mightily; every clan that picked up a quarrel with us came to regret it. We vanquished--" he rattled off a series of clan names, and tapped vigorously on the wooden leg with the edge of his palm, and by God, it was hollowed out and had the reverberating acoustics of a durbaan , or drum! Did he do this for effect to freak me out?

I said, "Enough. I do not want to hear the gory details of one bloody tribal skirmish after another."

He said, "Do you know the new names of the Lelkase, as a result of our prowess in the recent feuds?"

I said I did not.

He said, "One name is gaas-dhagoole ," which may be translated as the "deaf legion."

I said, "Why gaas-dhagoole ?"

He said, "Because once the Lelkase take up the field, they become deaf as to the rumble of shells. When in action we become deaf and mute to death. We defy death, knowing this mortal body can go but once." This reminded me of Julius Caesar's legendary cogitations on life and death: "Cowards die many times but the valiant never taste of death but once." By all the stars, when Caesar made those words famous he had just vanquished the Iberian peninsula and Gaul, the name then for the territories now making up France, Switzerland, half of Germany and all the lands adjacent to the English Channel, thus making possible the conquest of Britain by the lame emperor Claudius. In other words, Caesar would die in the forging of empires, reducing cities and compelling nations to bow before him; whereas my kinsman would glorify death in a senseless, soap-opera-like, endless and purposeless cycle of tribal violence.

"Really?" I said, incredulously.

"When we take to the field," the shade continued, "we would not abandon it, come what may. We'd die to the last man."

"In that case," I said, "count me out."

"Are you a coward?"

"Pardon me!"

One of the others interrupted with some gratuitous remark designed to provide comic relief. Captain Ahab started off again, "Do you know what the other name is?"

I said, "Indulge me."

He said, "Darbe-D.a.r.o.od," which translates as: "the D.a.r.o.od Wall." "Because," he said, squinting the one serviceable eye, "when the D.a.r.o.od were in desperate trouble on all sides in the recent wars, it was we who stood between them and other clans." "Ask the Warsangali [another D.a.r.o.od sub-clan]," he continued, "to confirm the truth of what I am saying. It was they who dubbed us, 'the D.a.r.o.od Wall,' in grateful recognition of our defending role."

The luscious white chick returned to clear the table; kids (white and black) toyed on the electronic Star Wars box. The jacuzzi fountains made plangent caressing sounds. The people, the streets, the cars, the lights--the city hummed outside. And here we were four Lelkases engaged in a cosmological clan discourse. This was surreal, I thought.

Captain Ahab continued to harass me. Said he, "We are as good in peace as in war. Because we are men of religion, we deal honestly with others. We do not double-talk. Our word is as good as faith itself." Ahab paused, wheezing; then began again, "We'd prefer to have our necks cut off than break our word. That is why," the serviceable eye glistened, "we are universally trusted by all other clans. There is a great future for us in Somalia as power brokers, if not power holders in the country."

" A great future for us in Somalia !" I could hardly believe I heard what I had heard. "Maledetto te, pazzo," I cussed in Italian under my breath. Fortunately for my skin, knowledge of Italian did not number in his satanic C.V., otherwise he would surely have bounced on me, wooden limbs and all!

"Now, as for you," the shade opened up again, "We need you. Are you going to play an honorable role in this future? Are you going to lend us your academic thing and international contacts? Are you going to join us?" He gave me a look that froze me, making me feel creepy all over. "Are you going to be part of us, or simply satisfied to fatten off of American food stamps?"

"The sucker," I cussed again. "Does he think I am on the dole?"

He must have noticed my angry scowl, for at this he began to let up, warming up to me and judging it necessary to inform me, "The Fiqih Ismaa'iil [my own sub-branch of the Lelkase] have always demonstrated qualities of leadership in the clan." What was he buttering up to me for? There was no way of knowing, because he broke off and went into a trance (he was also suffering from Khat withdrawals), spewing out a stream of primeval monologue, half poetry, half singsong, mumbling the words:

"Alla waan hawoonayoo, alla hawa na haysa, ee."

"Alas, ambition–ambition stirs in us, ambition--ambition we seek."

Back in my hotel room, I transcribed the outlines of the visit into my diary. Then I was assailed with one impulse and two thoughts. First, the impulse: this wraith of a man whose broken frame is pitted through and through with the mark of steel, only the one eye remaining whole of his entire body, and yet so animated, so lively, so resilient, his spirit so indomitable. The Somali civil war was not overabundant with examples of valiance in its purest essence, but this one was courage personified. I was awed! To paraphrase Mark Anthony on the slain Brutus, "All the elements unite to say this was truly a man."

But my awe, even admiration was thoroughly dissipated by my growing scorn for his mad ambition. I learned by and by that he came to the U.S. on a refugee asylum program, that he was resettled in Seattle to start up a new life, that his needs in shelter, food and medication were met by American generosity, the cost of his upkeep being split between the state of Washington and the Federal Government. As such, one should suppose that with this largesse, he'd settle and end out his remaining days in peace and tranquility, living off America 's kindness, gazing blissfully on the busty, leggy blondes that populate the swank avenues of Seattle . No, his heart was not in these but in "ambition" and thoughts of "a great future" in Somalia ! What a mad son of a gun! If the whole world were offered to him on a silver platter, what good would this do him, given that he is so wasted? How could he, in the broken condition of his body, savor the ease, the comfort and delights of power, to say nothing of coping with its cares--this apparition of re-arranged wood and mended skeleton?

As to the first thought that assailed: it was stirred by the specter's question, "Are you going to join us?" This resonated with me because it brought to mind one Abdirahman Hajji Hirsi, a first cousin, a medical doctor by vocation and a multi-sided genius who commanded mastery--I mean absolute mastery--over five languages: Arabic, English, French, Italian and Russian, in addition to his native Somali. When Somalia erupted, he moved to Kisimayu to serve as the only doctor in a children's hospital housing several hundred orphans. The Belgian paratroopers who manned Kisimayu and its environs had no end of praise for this doctor's, as one of the paratroopers put it, "integrity, hard work and dedication to his lowly orphanage." Well, one evening a gunman showed up at the orphanage premises and asked Dr. Hirsi to hand over to him the entire store of medicine in the orphanage. The doctor balked, whereupon he was shot at point-blank range. He died instantly. This incident in turn brought to mind a similar murder-by-shooting of another doctor, one Dr. Mohammed Warsame, who, after being hounded by the pleas of Roman Catholic nuns to help bind the wounds of his people, had reluctantly returned to Mogadishu to care for a large orphanage. General Aydiid ordered him killed for reasons of clan considerations in the fall of 1992. In the entire world, even in benighted Africa , a doctor's person is considered sacrosanct and treated as such. In the entire world, that is, except in mad Somalia . Dr. Hirsi, by reason of his medical skills and genius of mind, would, by international standards, have rated as worth more than the entire lot of the Lelkase put together. Yet, like so many others, he died senselessly and in vain and, from what I have been able to piece together, at the hands of another Lelkase. No, Captain, I'd rather not join you!

The other thought that crossed my mind was even more frightening; to wit, if the Lelkase, largely a clan of mullahs with no material or numerical significance (I daresay my kinsmen are likely to disown me for saying this) are so inflamed and obsessed with brokering power in Somalia, if not seizing it, what about the much larger clans with many more resources in men and material? What heights of lust for power and gain must consume their souls? Then I understood why Somalia collapsed. This is a nation of greed and ambition gone mad.

Said Samatar

New Jersey

Though the good professor lavishly dramatizes the tunnel-like vision of his character, his second piece is significantly better than the first one. And his conclusion that"this is a nation of greed and ambition gone mad" is the correct diagnosis of our political illness.

Sophist   

As it happens both of the pieces that our good fellow had posted were one of the same-- part of a long essay he had written couple years ago titled : Dostoevsky's syndrome; how I scaped being a self hating Somali-- ot something of that sort.

NASSIR   

WHY NOT AYDIID

April 14, 2005

Editors Note:

This is part 3 of a 4 part series. This piece is bold and shows one can write scholarly, while at the same time showing that the intelligentsia has responsibility in the struggle for national unity. Additionally, it shows that fending off from potential dictators is a matter of national responsibility. Professor Said's campaign against the late Caydid seems to have carried the massage to its targeted audience.

Drafted while general Aydiid was still alive, this section can now only be addressed to his shadow which, no doubt, still stalks what is left of Somalia's soul and surely haunts the dusty streets of south Mogadishu . A case can be made that Aydiid was the right man to take over turbulent Somalia at that critical juncture of Siad Barre's fall. Here is the bill of particulars that constitutes Aydiid's case: first, he resisted Barre's dictatorship; whether his resistance was motivated by personal frustration for failing to receive his fair share of the loot of the Somali treasury, as some claim, is beside the point. The fact is that he opposed Mr. Barre, a most dangerous undertaking and was consequently flung in prison where he languished for more than four years along with other fallen officers. The strictures of solitary confinement must have proved too much for the formerly roving nomad, for all accounts say that the incarceration traumatized the general, driving him to bouts of dementia and hysteria by turns. In one deranged outburst, he was seen nibbling on a bar of washing soap like a delicious piece of cake. Unquestionably, the man suffered badly.

It may be objected that he suffered all right, but he did so for greed and ambition, the twin curses of nearly all so-called Somali "big men" and that his conspiracies caused him to run foul of his old patron saint, Siad Barre, who, no longer being able to abide Aydiid's incessant plotting, finally had had enough and proceeded to consign him to the tender environs of confinement. To fault Aydiid thus is to indulge in selective judgement. What Somali leader-type was ever punished for purely altruistic interest in behalf of Somalia , except perhaps that mild-mannered mystic, General Mohammed Abshir?

Second, Aydiid roughed up the D.a.r.o.d , a most salutary undertaking. After years of dominating the political scene, the D.a.r.o.d had grown arrogant and it was time to put the fear of God into them. Aydiid's savaging of them had done just that. But his tragedy was that he did not stop there; imbued with a congenital bloody nature, he went on to bloody the H.a.w.i.y.e , his own kin, even more savagely. Aydiid in fact brutalized all and everyone who crossed his path. What his mind was too simple to understand was that brute force alone seldom provides the answer to all human problems, least of all political problems; that in the pursuit of power, force can be useful only as an extension of diplomacy. Even so, the D.a.r.o.d must have been sobered to respectful attention by Aydiid's clobbering.

Third, Aydiid inherited almost the entire armory of the national military, including state-of-the-art weaponry, and therefore was the only warlord possessing enough fire power to break the back of the Somalis and to bend them to his will. Just take a look at the other warlords--they are either weaklings or unacceptable. Abdullahi Yusuf, the only other warlord with as forceful a personality, and as ruthless and blood-thirsty, as Aydiid, would have been too far away in the northeast; Morgan would have been too far away from the center of action too, and in any case unacceptable as the author of the infamous "Letter of Death;" Osman Ato is a spoiled civilian boy grown rich from the loot of the national physical plant; Ali Mahdi is too weak and feckless to rule unruly Somalis. Clearly Aydiid was the man of the hour.

Somali heads needed bending if the anarchy and bloodbath that ensued were to be avoided. If Aydiid seized power, he'd probably have imposed a brutal regime that would have made Siad Barre's look like a sunny outing, but it is a proven law of human society that tyranny with stability is infinitely superior to liberty with anarchy. Nothing grows in anarchy, least of all a nation's soul. Fourth, Aydiid fought and sacrificed for the pursuit of power more than the rest of the lot put together. His passion was power and nothing else mattered to him, for in his personal conduct and private life, he was the most temperate of Somalis. While those others who could afford vice lapsed into sickening heights of debauchery, he neither smoked, nor drank, nor drugged; he did not even chew khat, an incredible abstention for an urban Somali of means. His only pleasure vice was women, and in this he exhibited a marked bias for ********** women, whatever Freud would have made of this.

In the various confrontations, alternately, with the M.a.j.e.r.te.n , the A.b.g.a.l, the Murursade, the Hawaadle, and,most brazenly, with the Americans--Aydiid showed surpassing military resourcefulness and incomparable personal courage. He was indeed a brilliant combat man. But therein lay his strength as well as his tragedy. Militarily, Aydiid was on the order of genius but, politically, he was on the scale of a jackass. Autistic of mind and congested of spirit, he could not perceive the subtle complexity and clumsiness and maddening craziness of human existence; he tried to solve political obstacles requiring political solutions with a hammer. He forgot--or never learned--that the use of force in governance is to achieve a political objective, and that arms avail nothing in themselves, especially when counter-balanced against other arms. This was fatally brought home to him when the ******, who had been repeatedly harried by him, finally resolved to fight back. Still, Aydiid's valor was supreme, in marked contrast to the cowardly Barre who panicked and fled at the first sign of trouble. By contrast, Aydiid would be mortally wounded in action while charging at the head of his men.

In short, Aydiid was, tragically for Somalia , what the Somalis call a macangag , which may be translated as "asininely stubborn." Here, a vignette related by a number of Somali informants serves to illustrate the point: according to these, when a couple of years back, Aydiid the father invited Aydiid the son to Mogadishu to start him up as his viceroy, the young Aydiid's mother begged him not to return to Somalia and revisit anew on that unhappy country his father's brutal ravishings. She is reported to have added: "Your father's macangag ness is such that if he takes a fancy to anything, he must have it or he would wreak havoc on all and everything that is even remotely related to the object of his desire." "Once," the lady is reported to have explained, "he took a liking to my shawl, and commenced to grab on its hem. No pushing, shoving or pleading could break his grip. I had to reach for a knife and cut up the shawl in half in order to break loose from him." 6 Unless this be apocryphal, the American Rangers can appreciate posthumously what they were up against in Aydiid.

A fearful macangag indeed. If so, why would I wish him so ardently on Somalia ? Partly on the reasoning that a jackal nation deserves a jackal leader. The wildly fractious Somalia of the 1990s needed a human pit bull to bury its teeth in every Somali neck in order to terrorize them into submission. Partly also because I feel a twinge of remorse over the fact that I had a hand in Aydiid's being cheated out of his prize. The story of my close call with the General has been too widely covered by press and TV to require a full-blown recounting. Briefly, I accompanied, as an interpreter and field expert, an ABC TV crew led by Nightline's legendary anchor man, Ted Koppel, to cover the landing of the American marines. Five days later the General ordered me out of town under threat of death. Why he declared war on me remains something of a puzzle to this day, for up to that point I was thoroughly of goodwill towards him and in fact was rooting for him. I was seduced by his dash, pluck and portly flamboyance, his impeccable suits and flashy teeth, even his cold, reptilian eyes.

Having no understanding of his motive for ejecting me, I can only resort to conjecturing: did he conceive that I was part of another machiavellian ******* plot to snatch power from his grasp?

Did he, unable to appreciate the separation of press and government, believe that I was the advance man for another American scheme designed to foist a U.S.-favored Somali clique on power? Whatever his motivation, instead of attempting to coopt me as a service intellectual (and I might have obliged), he chose to create a state of war. But war can be fought on different fronts, and my front lay in the direction of information-processing. Upon return to the U.S. , I at once commenced to launch a spirited, sustained denunciatory campaign against him, blasting him, in reasoned terms I hope, in virtually every major American newspaper and magazine as well as on the principal TV networks. I also went frequently to Washington to speak at State Department policy briefings on Somalia and to lobby key congressional committees where I did my best to paint an unflattering picture of him. To suggest that the result was electrifying would be to draw attention to my own inflated ego. But if Thomas Jefferson was right in opining that the "pen is mightier than the sword" in a literate society, I believe I am entitled to claim a small part in the turning of American public opinion against him.

Said Samatar

New Jersey

NASSIR   

The tribal name change shouldn't be construed as an epithet but a way to make it appear on the censored screen.............

THE MAJIRTEEN. EMBARRASSMENT

April 19, 2005

Editor's Note: This is the last piece of a 4 part series that Professor Said critically analyzed the Somalia condition since the destruction of what once was a dynamic nation State. This last piece was written prior to the establishment of the regional State of Puntland , and as such challenged the Majirteens who were economically, politically and historically in a more advantaged position than many other clans. His focus on colonel Abdulahi Yusuf, the current president of the Transitional Federal government, as “ Somalia 's ba.stard †has proven to be splendidly prophetic .

A Poet is by definition a prophet, too. More to point the gabayaa, or singer of verse, is in Somali tradition believed to possess a figurative third eye, the prophetic eye that avails him of the powers of clairvoyance. Consequently, we thought we were on to something when the late Khaliif Sheikh Mohamuud, indisputably the greatest Somali poet in the 1970s decade, prophesied in his remarkable Hurgumo, or Festering Wound, these noble lines:

1. Hadalka hayga moodina inaan maarawaa nahaye,

2. Sidaan maanta nahay yaan la oran laga mil roonaaye,

3. Mar un baannu mowjada xirmiyo maayad soo kicine,

4. Nabsigaas mugdiga gudahayaan mar un helaynaaye,

5. Caruurahaan maryaadahaya iyo dumarkan mowleyey,

6. Mar un baa marwada Maxamad qabo noqon mataalkoode,

7. Mar un baa mid lagu meelmariyo maahir nookicine,

8. Mar un baa rag wada miigan iyo miidi soo bixine,

9. Mar un baa malkada Caabud-waaq miigu soo dagine.

1. let no man presume that I sing out of despair on account of the devastation visited on my Majirteen. kin,

2. Let no man say, because of our sorrowful state today,

that we Majirteen. have been trounced for good,

3. The day will come when we shall surge forth like a thunderous hurricane,

4. The nocturnal visitor of fortune shall yet smile upon us,

5. The weeping children and widowed matrons, whose husbands have been wantonly slaughtered,

6. The time will come when Mohamad's wife will likewise be deprived,

7. The time will come when a great hero shall arise amongst us and shall redeem us,

8. Then there will sally forth men of honor and valor for our salvation,

9. Then the Mig fighters will descend on the Mareehaan village of Caabud-waaq.

Some exegesis of a couple of lines in the extract which is of

interest for this discussion: the poem which, like many a good poem is about a great many things, was composed as a weeping jeremiad over the sustained harrying and persecution of the Majirteen. during Mohammed Siad Barre's military dictatorship, especially after the Majirteen.-inspired-failed-coup attempt (April, 1978) against Barre. He is the Mohammed referred to in line 6, whose wife is promised a terrible fate for Barre's brutalization of the Majirteen.. Despite the then inhuman cruelties visited upon the Majirteen. for resisting Mr. Barre's tyranny, the poet envisions a time "when a great hero shall arise "amongst us" to "save us." Then the jubilee (time of peace and prosperity) itself will be ushered in when "men of honor and valor shall come forward to bring our salvation." In short, the poet envisions a coming millennium under a Majirteen. guidance. Who are the "us" in the poem that are promised salvation from the ashes of present hardship to a redeeming future? Clearly, at the immediate level, the poet prophesies salvation for his kinsmen, the Majirteen. clan. But at a more poetically profound level, the "us" refers to the entire body politic of the Somali nation laid waste by oppression but now to be redeemed, presumably under Majirteen. tutelage.

It is now 30 years since the poet prophesied salvation for Somalia under Majirteen. midwifery: Siad Barre's dictatorship has vanished; Barre himself has given up the ghost in an ignominious exile among Nigerian Hausa; Somalia has sunk into civil war and misery, and there is no sign of the Majirteen. either saving themselves or their nation. Khaliif would no doubt be turning in his grave with bitterness and embarrassed disappointment!

But why, of all the vipers’ brood that makes up the Somali polity, should the Majirteen. be selectively targeted for blame and name-calling in the general collapse of the land? Principally for two reasons. First, the Majirteen., of all Somali clans, have a history of government with a ruling elite, structured bureaucracy and economic stratification along with the skills of statecraft. In precolonial times the only states worthy of the name in the Somali peninsula had been the Majirteen. Sultanate of Boqor, or king, 'Ismaan Mohamuud in the Baargaal-Boosaaso region on the extreme eastern coast and the kingdom of Obbia (Hobyo) belonging to 'Ismaan's nephew, the dour Yuusuf Ali Keenadiid. These were both highly centralized states with all the organs and accoutrements of an integrated modern state--a hereditary nobility, titled aristocrats, a functioning bureaucracy, a flag, an army and a not insignificant network of foreign relations with embassies abroad.

Nowhere else in Somalia did anything even remotely comparable ever arise, except perhaps the Ujuuraan on the Shabeelle valley and Adal on the northwestern coast, both states having reached the apogee of power in the sixteenth century. In modern times the Majirteen. stand alone, absolutely alone, in having created a centralized state. This means that the Majirteen. clan in general, and the Majirteen. elite in particular, have a seasoned, unique experience in the nature and processes of statecraft that no other Somali group possesses.

Second, when independence came in 1960 the Majirteen., owing to their superior skill in governance, merchant capital, education and urban experience, easily began to dominate power and privilege in the new state. As a result, in the eight plus years between independence and Barre's coup in October, l969, the Majirteen. towered supremely over all other clans in dominating the national life. Majirteen. merchants grew rich (by Somali standards) and prosperous while Majirteen. politicians acquired a commanding mastery over the reins of political power. (Here a caveat: Majirteen. ascendancy stemmed more from political astuteness than from coercion, managing as they did to forge alliances alternately with the elite of the H.a.wiye ,Is.aq and Ra.han.weyn , thus ensuring their preponderance during civilian administrations.)

Over-enthused with an understandable sense of self-importance, the Majirteen. began to become intoxicated (in Somali, "waa qooqeen") with their success, flaunting their power and prestige openly, perhaps too openly, to the anguished envy and hatred of other clans. Thus did the Majirteen. coin a new proverb, boasting of their numerical superiority over all other clans: "Intii madax madaw iyo Majirteen. baa siman"; thus did Yaasiin Nuur Hasan Bidde, the new aristocratic minister of the Interior during Abdirashiid's presidency, brag: "I have just turned thirty-three years, and I have managed to stash away thirty-three million shillings"--then equivalent to $5.5m. Presumably Yaasiin boasted so in order to rub it in the face of rival clans, and the lean and hungry among the latter no doubt responded with a mouth-watering envy.

The political process was so fatally abused beyond redemption during the Majirteen.-***** alliance of president Abdirashiid Ali Sharmaarke and premier Mohammed H. I. Igaal. The personally honest but low-of-IQ Abdirashiid and the high-of-IQ but personally irredeemably crooked Igaal, between them, presided over the most corrupt and predatory administration in the annals, up to then, of African governments. (Nigeria, it appears now, holds the dubious distinction of topping the list of the most corrupt nations in the world).

It was during Abdirashiid's and Igaal's administration that the mass of Somalis became irrevocably alienated from the political system. In particular, the election of 1969 that enshrined Abdirashiid and Igaal in power was so outrageously and blatantly rigged that it thoroughly degraded the Somali body politic, inspiring a deep sense of betrayal in the public. Consequently, when Barre seized power in October 1969, the coup was welcomed with widespread jubilation and thanksgiving with masses of people wildly dancing and celebrating joyously in the streets. In the event, this was to be short-lived, but for the time being few Somalis, other than their cronies, shed a tear for the fall of premier Igaal and president Rashiid, the latter being assassinated a week or so before the coup, thus being spared the ignominy of a long-term jail, as Igaal was to suffer. In fact it could be argued, convincingly in my view, that the outrages and venality of the administration of Abdirashid and Igaal did much to pave the way for Siad Barre's coup.

If they fared better than any other clan during the civilian administrations, fairness would require to point out that the Majirteen., especially the 'Umar Mohamuud sublineage, suffered far more inhuman cruelties than any other ethnicity except perhaps the ***** . And if the ancient Greeks believed that excessive arrogance leads to destruction, they also believed in the possibility of redemption under suffering, specially that pain and suffering lead to wisdom, and therefore possess a therapeutic quality.

It was reasonable to expect therefore that the combination of experience in governing, erstwhile preeminence and subsequent debasement under Barre's persecution should have produced wise political leadership from amongst the Majirteen. after the general collapse--Majirteen. heroes, as the poet anticipated, ready, able and willing to serve the nation. Alas, it did not. Instead, the world watched the humiliating spectacle of the Majirteen. falling on one another into internecine bickering and base political squabbling, failing utterly to establish an orderly administration in their corner of the country. And yet, to free ourselves from bias masquerading as political discourse, the Majirteen. did supremely triumph in preserving the peace and some measure of prosperity in their areas, a great achievement considering the curse of violence and vendetta that seem to prevail in other clan territories. (Here it should be mentioned the Gadabursi have also admirably established security to life and limb in their northwestern side in and around the town of Boorama, though they did have one scary eruption last summer.)

Boosaaso, the capital of Majirteen.ia, today remains not only the envy of other clans in peacefulness and tranquility but also the astonished admiration of the international community, "port in a storm," as the Washington Post gushingly intoned. The Italian scholar and philanthropist Martina Steiner stated recently after a fact-finding mission to Somalia:

The northeast (i. e. Majirteen.ia) remains practically the only spot in Somalia where the foreign traveller can freely move about throughout the length and breadth of it without fear of being molested and without need of an armed escort. By contrast, as soon as you cross Majirteen. areas, say, west of Galka'ayo into Ha.w.iye territory or past Erigavo into I.saq , welcome to robbery and hooliganism; then you must have an armed escort. Boossaasso is booming having attracted the migration of merchant capital and entrepreneurial talent from all over Somalia. A considerable number of Isa.q magnates have moved their operations to Boosaaso.

Surely the Majirteen. deserve great credit for maintaining the peace in their mountainous patrimony. Their example of peace and relative prosperity has even set the standard for the Internet banter and chitchat amongst Somalis in Europe and north America. Thus when Mohammed Abshir recently stated on the BBC something to the effect that "we in the northeast argue heatedly, but we do not shoot one anther," his words have drawn vigorous exchange among Somali Internet users with some being bitterly envious over Abshir's claim that the Majirteen. argue over issues to a solution like civilized men; but do not "shoot" one another as other clans are addicted to doing. In other words, whereas previously clans used to boast of their fighting capacity to inflict violence on others, now the Majirteen. have set the standard that the only thing worthy of boasting does not lie in one's capacity "to shoot but in one's patience and prudence to talk" in order to solve political problems peacefully! That in itself is no small achievement.

Still, if the truism is true, "to whom much is given, much is required,' the Majirteen. should have done better, for much is required of them; Somalia calls on them to play their historic role in reconstructing the country. To be sure, the Majirteen. could justly retort: "Easier said than done. How do you propose to bring other clans onboard, clans that find it more profitable to shoot for bililiqsi (looting) rather than talk?" The answer would be obvious: what the Majirteen. need to do--and so far have dismally failed to do--is to get their house in order first, by establishing a constitutional provincial administration in their region. Possessing as they do a large pool of political talent and material wherewithal, they ought to have constructed a well-oiled, efficient administration with modest but respectable state organs--a provisional head of region, police, school, medical and municipal services, etc. If they had done so successfully for all the world to see, this surely should have aroused the envy of other clans and inspired them into setting up their own mini-states. These mini-states could in turn be joined together into some sort of mutually agreed federal arrangement.

There is, however, no sign of their doing this. It appears that, politically, the Majirteen. are just as fecklessly unimaginative and as crippled by the same Somali sickness that paralyzes other clans: lineage segmentation: the Majirteen. are segmented along three principal sublineages--the 'Ismaan Mohamuud, 'Isse Mohamuud and 'Umar Mohamuud. Abdullahi Yuusuf, the flamboyant war lord, who bragged lately that the liver newly transplanted into him from an Irish youth has given him a renewed vigor and vitality, is from the 'Umar Mohamuud; Abshir belongs to the 'Isse, while a certain Abdullahi King-Congo (the name is colorful enough)--a prince (now king?) directly descended from Boqor 'Ismaan and very much in the running--hails from the 'Ismaan Mohamuud. The three have been locked up in a cloak-and-dagger power struggle that prevents them from forming a provincial administration.

Of the three Abshir is manifestly the most deserving: a deeply religious man of a mystical turn of mind and hence blessed by an unblemished personal integrity (remember then General Abshir, commander of the police force, instead of obliging 'Igaal and 'Abdirashiid to steal the l969 election, chose--some say unwisely--to retire from government, thereby leaving himself to the tender mercy of wolves, most especially to the untender mercy of the jackal that went by the name of Mohammed Siad Barre.) Patriotic to a fault, genuinely interested in the welfare of the Somali people and with a great international name recognition, Abshir must be the logical choice to lead the northeast.

But these qualities, which would have been a great asset for leadership in a sane people, are in fact a singular liability among crazed Somalis. Most Majirteen., and most ******* for that matter, obsessively fear that if they entrust their interest and welfare to Abshir, he might, in his eagerness for the nation, give away too much to other clans, and hence endanger their future. Once bitten, twice shy, so many ******* feel. Instead a large number of Majirteen. want Abdullahi for the same reason the Americans wanted Richard Nixon for president during the height of the Viet Nam and Cold War. A prickly British scholar with an earthy humor explained Nixon's overwhelming victory over the pacifist Senator George McGovern in the crucial 1972 election thus: "Granted Nixon is a ******* ," quipped the Englishman, "but you need a ******* in dealing with the Russians." A not insignificant number of ******* feel they need a ******* in dealing with the Aydiid types in the south--which ******* Abdullahi Yuusuf is! (Might this remark of mine bring down on me the furious wrath of Mr. Yusuf someday? So often it is that my written words have caused me vexatious trouble. Yet a writer must write his reasoned opinion regardless of consequences, if he deserves the name at all. Actually, the word ******* in this context, far from being an insult, is a term of affectionate endearment.

I am obliged to explain all this because most Somalis, given their bigoted propensity and sensitivity to imagined slight, to say nothing of their limited grasp of English, are likely to misread Somali meaning into an English idiom.) As a result, vacillation between Abshir, who is the more deserving, and Abdullahi, who is considered a better defender of ******* interests in a future negotiation with other clans, has paralyzed the Majirteen. into political inaction since 1992. In a search for a way to circumvent this deadlock, the Majirteen. two summers ago invited the internationally respected (but not given the honor due to him at home), former prime minister Mr. Abdirizak H. Hussein, in hopes that the three rivals would step down in favor of him and that Abdirizak's prestige would be enough to stymie political squabbling. Disappointingly, this has not happened. After six months of heroic effort, this tired, penniless and unwell man (who once ran the only Somali administration deserving the name) gave up in disgust and returned to lonely exile in cold America. His experience proves that when, in the end, it comes to political vision, the Majirteen. are as bleakly barren of it as other Somali clans blinded by unyielding greed, short-sighted selfishness and the mindless propensity for bililiqsi, which translates as atavistic criminal looting, which re-appears among Somalis every sadex-guura, or third cycle. Given their historic place in Somali history, surely the Majirteen. could have done better by themselves and by the country.

Last word: to the Majirteen.: where is the miid (penetrating foresight) that the dead poet so soulfully sang about, and so passionately yearned for? Or might this be a case of: "Aw Muuse gabayguu marshaa / meesha soo gelaye!" Every reflective, thoughtful Majirteen. should appreciate, to their challenge, the evocative allusions, indeed the powerful literary-historical land mines that lie hidden beneath the surface of that solitary versicle.

Said Samatar

New Jersey

Source: WardheerNews