Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Are there any normal people in Somali politics?

NGONGE   

All sides come across as being foolish, naïve and not able to convey their messages in a reasonable and understandable way.

I recently watched a program on Al Jazeera TV called ‘The opposite direction’. In this program, they bring two people from both sides of a certain conflict (i.e. Hezbollah and the Lebanese government, Hamas and Fatah or two Iraqi factions).

On the tenth of April 2007 it was the turn of the Somalis. We had a former information Minster (Dr Zakariyya Mahmood Hajji) facing the current advisor to the TFG president (a Dr Omar Yusuf Alazhari). With both men supposedly qualified enough to merit the title Dr (I’d love to know their fields of expertise) one was looking forward to a titillating confrontation whereby both men would employ all their debating, political and propaganda skills to further their own cause and convince the viewer that theirs is the correct side to follow.

Sadly, the one against the TFG spent his time SHOUTING that he does not want to debate with his opponent because the regarded him as a liar and an Ethiopian (he actually spent the most part of the debate detailing the other man’s history and how he was born in Ethiopia and hold an Ethiopian passport, etc). This man was supposed to be a Dr and a former Information Minster!

The other man was not much better than his opponent and was claiming that there were no Ethiopian soldiers killed in Somalia despite all the proof presented to all of us by the various media outlets! He just went on and on about attempting to defend an irrelevant and indefensible point. This man, ladies and gentlemen, is the advisor of the president of the TFG!

Dear reader, depending on the side you support, you’re likely to easily see the folly of the opposing side and just as easily ignore the foolishness of those on your side. However, when the leading lights on both sides make a mockery of everything Somali on INTERNATIONAL TV, surely even you can see how silly it would be to whole- heartedly support either of these two bumbling sides (whole-heartedly being the operative word here).

For those that can understand Arabic, here is a link to a blog with the video of the confrontation. It also contains English translation by the owner of the blog (who clearly is not a big fan of the TFG. Still, the bit he translates is true, even though he’s trying to spin it a little).

Watch these two old men shout each other down!

Missed that session but truly we are not skilled to have a healthy debates at all.

The best example is SOL politics section ,,,, imagine some people from here are becoming ministers, others are joining the opposition ,,,, then imagine the rest

very simple, we cannot debate, we cannot govern, we cannot fight forever,

GOOD FOR NOTHING ma maqashay ???

Ohhhhhhh,,, there is one thing we are really skilled to do ,, and we can do it AS EASY AS PEICE OF CAKE ,,,,,,,,, u know that ??

HOW TO OVERTHROW AN ADMINISTRATION ,,,,, OR HOW TO DESTROY A COUNTRY ,,,,

Hunguri   

Somalis are like a "husband and wife" Colna maaha nabadna maaha. I still remember back the civil war days, I had many friends in the diaspora and it did affect our relation ship less. However, many of us were contributing the fund rise to flame the war. Yet, we still play the "Cards" "dominoes" and Exchange weird jokes with no hand talk. I wonder where the problem lies!. To cut the story short. Xaalka waad ku daysaa. "Somalidu colna maaha nabadna maaha" Waa nin iyo naag is qaba :D

Peacenow   

That's true, but these people are a reflection of society as a whole. People get the leaders they derserve. The more backward a society is, higher chance they will have a dog of people leading them.

Are there any normal ppl in Somali politics?

No, not in reality and as things stand today but theres always a start for everything. Today we can afford having "YAA-WALAD"-politicians but tomorrow they will be succeeded by the diaspora Oxbridge /Ivy-league/Educated chaps.

How very true Peace Now

On the whole and general speaking no, there are not Many normal people in the somali political scene.

Although i would be doing Sheik Sheirf of the UIC i great Dis-service if i didnt mention him as an exception to this rule. He has been an outstanding example of presention articulation and integrity. I saw an interview on Al Jazeera (the english Channel) discussing the recent conflict what the UIC stand point is etc etc and he was very impressive mashallah.

Him a side am afriad the grime reality is there arent many more......................well more that am aware off anyway!

roobleh   

These people know what their supporters want to hear, so are playing to that tune. Majority of the blame has to go toward the people cuz it was made for them and they are paying for it. Even Somali educators are not immune to this. I am also wondering what happen to the Somali educators. It is hard to believe that many Somali educators will forgo their training for thinking independently and follow blindly their clan warlords.

Though I sometimes hesitate to blame the masses who have had no chance to good education, but it is their country and have to take responsibility for their well-being.

RedSea   

Who is we?

I don't like to be in the same fold as those who can't govern, can't get together. Somaliland is doing okay if you ask me....so be specific Jacaylbaro.

LANDER   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Dear reader, depending on the side you support, you’re likely to easily see the folly of the opposing side and just as easily ignore the foolishness of those on your side.

I guess you’re forever the objective analyst blessed with Claire voyance

NGONGE   

Originally posted by LANDER:

quote:Originally posted by NGONGE:

Dear reader, depending on the side you support, you’re likely to easily see the folly of the opposing side and just as easily ignore the foolishness of those on your side.

I guess you’re forever the objective analyst blessed with Claire voyance
I am of course. But what’s that to do with the price of fish, saaxib?

I just looked at my crystal ball and can certainly tell you that you, as a Somalilander, are not in favour of the TFG. Had you watched the interview I posted I would casually wager that YOU would have fully opposed the TFG representative and tried to explain the merits in the arguments of the former Information Minster.

Now enough with the worthless sneering and try (if you possibly could) to explain, to yourself if nobody else, why such nincompoops seem to rise to such high positions! This is not limited to Somaliland but also Somalia and Puntland.

I’m not enquiring about dictators, liars or thieves here. All these are accepted and expected traits of modern politicians. I am talking about cluelessness, utter incompetence, lack of simple common sense and the inability to have any clear arguments, explanations or defences for whatever actions that these politicians make (or if such things exist, their inability to convey their reasoning for doing so to the masses).

It really has noting to do with me being the objective analyst. All this is plain child’s play and I look down my nose at it all. If you had any sense, you would too.

roobleh   

The other man was not much better than his opponent and was claiming that there were no Ethiopian soldiers killed in Somalia despite all the proof presented to all of us by the various media outlets! He just went on and on about attempting to defend an irrelevant and indefensible point. This man, ladies and gentlemen, is the advisor of the president of the TFG!

Ngonge, don't you think that most Somali politicians see the Somali people as their employees rather than seeing them as the people who pay them. For example, if we assume those two politicians were phd degree holders and thus have such strong formal education, then I am assuming they were capable to engage a depate with higher standards on live tv. Therefore, all I can think is that since they are not accountable to Somali people, then they only need to say what their boss wants to hear even if garbage.