Sign in to follow this  
Unsigned

I was 8 years old…

Unsigned   

I am not politically opinionated (though I am politically aware)

But I would like to share something with you, b/c I am sick and tired of certain individuals who keep going on about “United Somalia”

I was 8 years old……………………

I was 8 years old when I fled my home,

I was 8 years old when I walked 70km on a hot summer’s day,

I was 8 years old when I stepped over dozens of dead bodies,

I was 8 years old when I hid under a tree from the air raids.

Yet I am nothing out of the ordinary,

Some lost their lives,

Some lost their parents,

Some lost it all,

I count myself LUCKY because I survived it all, thanks to Allah.

They talk about how we should “Unite”,

They say “united Somalia” would be the best interest of Somalis,

They insist on saying we are “brothers/sisters”.

Yet they have destroyed homes,

They have shattered lives,

They have tortured hundreds in ways you cannot imagine

They have slathered woman and children by the thousands.

Tell me WHY, I should “unite” with these murderous,

Tell WHY I would consider these hooligans my brothers/sisters,

Tell me HOW I could have these home wreckers as my neighbours.

For the slightest chance of that happening AGAIN, even if it is a 1%

NEVER will I support “United Somalia”

In time I will forgive, but Never will I forget..

Baashi   

Yet they have destroyed homes,

They have shattered lives,

They have tortured hundreds in ways you cannot imagine

They have slathered woman and children by the thousands.

Tell me WHY, I should “unite” with these murderous,

Tell WHY I would consider these hooligans my brothers/sisters,

Tell me HOW I could have these home wreckers as my neighbours.

Zadiqa that's a sensible and touching poem...and very legitimate grievences as well.

"They" = The military junta who ruled the country.

Somali masses were subjects, just like you, under the iron rule of Siyad. Somali masses were never consulted nor informed about these despicable acts against their muslim bro/sisters in the North. He was a dictator who vowed to crush anyone who challanged his rule.

Now that former dictator and his government is gone. Are you blaming the victimized, expolioted, subjugated, powerless Somalis for the deeds of the former military junta?

Think about it!

AYOUB   

bashi quote:

"They = Military junta that used to ruled the country"

Another little formula just to make yourself feel confortable. It would have been better to ask what was ment by 'THEY'. To me 'THEY' includes the people in Xamar who used to point to houses of notherners to soldiers. They too shattered lives. If Somalinimo exists this was when it was needed not now.

I've noticed your other little formula (Somaliland = Hargeisa + Togdheer - Buuhoodle) has changed. How comes I don't hear of Awdal these days? Like Sam Cooke once sang 'don't know much about trigonometry' I just say : One down two to go. ;) .

Baashi   

Ah! I see! So reer Xamar too are guilty by association heh? What about the former head officer of NSS in Northewest? Kangroo court! that is what comes to mind :D

There are so many lives shattered in Somalia but you won't heard victims accuse Xamar or Hargeisa residents.

AYOUB   

Baashi, I am not a big fan of Riyaale but one thing I know this chap never ran all the way to Kenya when the cookie crumbled. He stayed and was prepared to take his punishment unlike some tough talking 'patriots' who are now in Mbagathi ;) . Either Riyaale is a brave chap or he knew the true nature of 'Qaldaans'.

Deep down you all know the mass graves up and down Somali shores cannot be blamed on 'military junta' or 'civil war'. Anyone who did not take part in the war against innocent civilians should not make excuses for it.

Sophist   

I have too been displaced and was similiar age to you (actuall couple years older=10)when we have looted killed maimed by USC militia in our homes in Mogadishu, but you don't see me going around formulating emotional diatribe; why? because I know people make terrible mistakes, but as human beings we should all forgive eachother and lookforward to a better future.

Anyhow, the mass graves you refer to in Hargeisa are those of the Somali Galbeed people. When it was discovered in 1995 ina Egal (alaha unaxariisto isaga iyo wixii muslim ah oo dhintey-ba) was intelligent enough to block the investigation for he knew only the discovery would be a damning one for the people of Hargeisa and Bruco. Brother, let us not blind ourselves; what has been done is done; we should think about our future as being united (in federal states; i all against this centralism for obvious reasons; those some might argue it is bad economics) nation that brings back its glorious past.

The Shinning Star will be all above us Insha Allah.

Sophist   

I too have been displaced when I was similiar age to you (actuall couple years older=10)when we have looted killed maimed by USC militia in our homes in Mogadishu, but you don't see me going around formulating emotional diatribe; why? because I know people make terrible mistakes, but as humanbeings we should all forgive eachother and lookforward to a better future.

Anyhow, the mass graves you refer to in Hargeisa are those of the Somali Galbeed people. When it was discovered in 1995 ina Egal (alaha unaxariisto isaga iyo wixii muslim ah oo dhintey-ba) was intelligent enough to block the investigation for he knew only the discovery would be a damning one for the people of Hargeisa and Bruco. Brother, let us not blind ourselves; what has been done is done; we should think about our future as being united (in federal states; i all against this centralism for obvious reasons; those some might argue it is bad economics) nation that brings back its glorious past.

The Shinning Star will be all above us Insha Allah.

AYOUB   

Sophist i said mass graves 'up and down Somali shores' and I ment what I said. As long as we agree not only the 'military junta' was responsible for the crimes comitted, then we are getting somewhere.

Were any of the people fighting and killing for a creation of a feredal states? If not, how could you seriously expect us to believe it to be the solution to the problem?

Baashi   

Whether you are fan of his or not, he is, and remains to be, the former head of ‘Gestapo’ – the infamous NSS. Not only he got away with a ‘documented’ crime but he is also rewarded with the highest office of the region. Now! I’m all forgiveness oo dee waa gobonimo and I do understand civilians elected him…what I don’t understand is how ‘selective justice’ is going to work. Selective application of justice is the very definition of injustice in case you didn’t know.

I for one agree that he sure “knew the true nature of 'Qaldaans' ”. For he understood that political expediency is the winning option…and boy! did he played the ‘game’ right! :D

Tell me who should we blame for the past wrong doings? Since you think ‘military junta’ and ‘civil war’ are not to blame.

Blessed   

That was a beautiful poem walaalo. I remember being in Jeddah with all my bags packed, so looking forward to going back to freedom and my family - when my hooyo told us we cant go because of war. I was more worried about being stuck in doors then the consequences. I haven't grasped what war meant till my sisters started telling me about their encounters and all the family members that have passed away.

In Sha Allah, it'll work out in the end.

p.s I agree with Baashe, people need to stop blaming tribes for what happened. I say get rid of the war criminals from Riyaale to Morgan, to Caydiid - and our people can begin to heal.

Unsigned   

Baashi & Sophist. Every dictator has people who support him and the people in the south supported Siyad Bare and his regime for one reason or another otherwise he will have stayed in power and continue with the carnage for as long as he had..

Secondly, have you asked yourself WHY a single Somali Lander does not want to re-unite with the rest of Somalia?

Is it because there are one too many unforgivable and unforgettable acts that have been committed?

Seems to me all this efforts of “Somali Weyn” is one sided, because the people of Somaliland have learned their lesson, they do not want to want to merge with the rest of Somalia, so why can’t they just let it be? The people of Somaliland are content with the way they are right now.

Why are they so keen on “Somali Weyn”?

Shouldn’t they prioritize their concerns and deal with the violence and lawlessness in the south?

Their wounds have not yet healed and will not begin to heal as long as you keep bringing up the subject of “Somali Weyn”

I got 3 words for those of you who are in favour of “Somali Weyn”

LET IT GO

Baashi   

Ameenah hit the nail on the head. Bravo!

Zadiqa,

If your line of reasoning is accepted every German would have been guilty in Nuremberg trail and all Hutus as an ethnic group would have been implicated in the Arusha trail. ‘Collective punishment’ and ‘guilty by association’ concepts are wrong in every moral standards known to human beings. So walaalo, let that hard feelings that you seem to harbor in your heart go. If you don’t it will blur your sense of judgement and it will only consume you. You have legitimate grievances but they are misplaced.

Perhaps I could be of assistance by getting you in touch with body of knowledge that could persuade you to see things in their right perspective. Since you are Muslim, there is no need to tell you the goodness of “Sabar” and the value of accepting the divine decree. There is classic book called “Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds” by Charles Mackay. It talks about how easily the masses have been led astray, and how imitative and gregarious men are, even in their infatuations and crimes. It will be good read for anyone who wants to know why do genocide, civil wars, nationalistic fervors, etc happen.

There is also category, in sociology, concerned generally with critical thinking in group, institutional, or organizational contexts. It is called “groupthink” and to paraphrase Irving Janis, groups (or clans) experiencing “groupthink” don’t consider all alternatives and desire the glory of their group at the expense of quality decisions. To me Puntland, Somaliland, and other political Somali groups are experiencing this phenomena. Simply put the group thinking denies space for the right to differ from the group – General Jama Ghalib comes to mind. Tuur and Saleebaan Gaal are left alone, Ex-NSS officer is embraced within the group and Jama is ostracized. Only the group can have perfect explanation.

So my dear Zadiqa those of us who support ‘Somaliweyn’ are realist and we know quite well the conditions on the ground are not conducive to this call at this juncture of our history. But I have yet to see anyone refute the ‘true’ definition of the concept itself. We can’t let go because we know too well the obstacle is negative Tribalism.

Listen why go around in circles.

Somalilanders blame everything on the other Somali's.

They blame their poverty on them, they blame their ill health on them.They blame the break up of their marraiage on them.

They blame and blame and blame. But the truth is that this will continue for they are life long blamers.